Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2017, 07:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

When something like that happens in one's life, it's sure to test some relationships.

"We came for the queer but stayed for the folk" ~ Peter Paige
Old 10-01-2017, 12:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SojournHeart11 (View Post)
When something like that happens in one's life, it's sure to test some relationships.
Of course it is, in both ways.. the ones who are sick and the ones who want to help... it needs a lot of feeling for the other one not to go too far with all emotions and a lot of understanding for the other

icon by Daggi
Old 10-01-2017, 04:29 AM
Ultimate Fan

must be just the hardest thing to go through for everyone
Old 10-02-2017, 01:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmaldy24 (View Post)
must be just the hardest thing to go through for everyone
The diagnosis throws you out of the loop.. and the treatment is annoying and exhausting sometimes.. in my sisters case it mostly was annoying... but what I guess is the worst, you are afraid with every check up appointment, that it comes back.. my brother in law is cancerfree now for 25 years.. I hope my sister gets the same result... I was glad they found it so early...

icon by Daggi
Old 10-04-2017, 06:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giotto (View Post)
The diagnosis throws you out of the loop.. and the treatment is annoying and exhausting sometimes.. in my sisters case it mostly was annoying... but what I guess is the worst, you are afraid with every check up appointment, that it comes back.. my brother in law is cancerfree now for 25 years.. I hope my sister gets the same result... I was glad they found it so early...
With all my heart, I hope so, too, Daggi

Old 10-05-2017, 01:59 AM
Ultimate Fan

Me too Daggi
Old 10-06-2017, 11:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Thanks a lot we all think positive here

icon by Daggi
Old 10-10-2017, 12:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Switching gears a bit, but I was sooooo happy when Ted began working for Brian. They made one perfect team.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SojournHeart11 (View Post)
Switching gears a bit, but I was sooooo happy when Ted began working for Brian. They made one perfect team.
Yeah I love that Brian gave him that chance cause he had always gone on about Ted and never treating Ted like he overly liked him sometimes but in the end he gave him the chance and it turned out to be the perfect job for Ted
Old 10-12-2017, 05:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the reminder, Denise! I loved this scene and totally LOL!

https://youtu.be/6jMkwO_znOI
Old 10-12-2017, 05:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

LMAO... "You never interrupt someone when they're sharing"

Old 10-12-2017, 06:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

And Brian doing it for him

icon by Daggi
Old 10-22-2017, 09:16 PM
Dedicated Fan

I know not many people like season 4. I wish a couple of things were different (I DIE when Brian throws Justin out in ep 409. It's really not watchable.) AND, they simply discarded eps 413 and 414 IMHO. I really tried to watch those eps. It's like aliens abducted the QAF writers/crew/cast and it became an entirely different show.

Having said that there are some amazing moments in season 4.

So many fans think B/J should have ended at 314. It DID have a finale feel to it besides the fact that everything was tied up in a neat little bow. WHEN I DIDN'T HAVE JUSTIN I WAS HAPPY KNOWING HE WAS HAPPY AND HAD ALL THAT HE NEEDED. NOW THAT I HAVE JUSTIN I'M HAPPY AND I DON'T NEED ANYTHING ELSE. Perfect. Perfect. Ending to the B/J saga. I might almost agree with that except I'd like it if eps 401 and 402 were added to that package.
It's just the continuation of the ooey, gooey love that B/J had for each other in those moments b/f the sh** hit the fan.

I actually could discuss this all night but there's nobody on the board to go back and forth. LOL

So, I'll leave it at this one discussion point. Somebody on a whole other site - and believe me when I tell you I can't remember where I read it - really rocked me.

This person said that in season 1 when Brian and Justin first met Brian immediately became Justin's b**ch and this continued until ep 314. And, it was said like this was a good thing. In a way I agree with this person. I'm always giving examples of Brian following Justin, how Brian fell immediately in love, etc. But, of course, there are several demands Brian would NOT meet until the absolute end of the series. So, was Brian really Jusitn's b**ch?

But, then she (assuming it was a she) said that in season 4 Brian stopped being Justin's b**ch. She asked vehemently where was Brian's killer protective instincts regarding Justin's involvement in the pink posse? She said Brian decided in that philosophical exchange with Ben that he was going to let the pieces fall where they may. In so doing he abandoned Justin and things were never the same.

Now, I see this completely differently. But, her take has haunted me b/c there are so many times I don't see the picture accurately or comprehensively.

My take is that Brian realized he simply wasn't able to control Justin or the situation in which Justin was choosing to place himself. For the first time Brian was really powerless in trying to influence Justin. Justin's always had a mind of his own but Brian was able to steer it when necessary the same way Justin's always been able to influence Brian.

I use the term impotent b/c later in the season he becomes physically impotent. Brian loses power/trust/control/confidence throughout the entire season.

The pain on Brian's face was evident when Daphne asked him what if Justin got into a fight or hurt? Daphne saw that pain, too. But, Brian answered honestly. Talking to Justin didn't help and there wasn't anything he could do. So, Brian soothed himself by saying that at least Justin knew that he could stand up for himself. Brian relented to the philosophical conclusion. He wasn't gung ho about it but he knew he really could do ZERO about it.

Oh - pretty important. Because I've watched this scene so many times I caught something and it didn't sit well with me. It actually goes to this poster's argument. When Brian answers Daphne OF COURSE THEY DON'T SHOW THIS ON CAMERA there's a sound and he's making a movement. If you watch closely it almost looks as if he's smacking his hands together in a slicing manner. (You can see only the tops of his arms so it's realllllly guess work and estimation.) But it looks kind of like Pontius Pilate doing the motion of "washing his hands" of it. So, if Brian is "washing his hands" in that moment then, yes, he's abandoning Justin. He's in pain but he's distanced himself from it and he's done. OUCH!!! That really disturbs me. Man, I wish they showed us what he was doing.

Any thoughts on this scene? Can anybody extrapolate what Brian's doing with his hands and what it means?

I have so much more I'd like to say about season 4 but does anybody have any thoughts about whether Brian was abandoning his protective instincts or was simply powerless to stop Justin?

Last edited by brianitesince2001; 10-22-2017 at 09:29 PM
Old 10-23-2017, 05:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

Welcome back, Beth! What a wonderful post to come back to after being away.

Quote:
I know not many people like season 4. I wish a couple of things were different (I DIE when Brian throws Justin out in ep 409. It's really not watchable.) AND, they simply discarded eps 413 and 414 IMHO. I really tried to watch those eps. It's like aliens abducted the QAF writers/crew/cast and it became an entirely different show.
I'm one of those who are not crazy about S4. But I do agree that it would have been perfect ending around 402. I wouldn't have called it ooey, gooey love, but I think Brian had somewhat evolved emotionally by this time and then BAM, he was back to his old way of thinking and acting.

Quote:
This person said that in season 1 when Brian and Justin first met Brian immediately became Justin's b**ch and this continued until ep 314. And, it was said like this was a good thing. In a way I agree with this person. I'm always giving examples of Brian following Justin, how Brian fell immediately in love, etc. But, of course, there are several demands Brian would NOT meet until the absolute end of the series. So, was Brian really Jusitn's b**ch?
Absolutely not! I also don't believe Brian fell immediately in love. I think he was taken aback by this beautiful boy who wanted him and not just for sex. Feeling wanted and needed by someone who wanted nothing but love from him was confusing. While others told him how selfish he was and basically unlovable, Justin was trying to show him something different, that he was worth so much more than sex and money.

Quote:
My take is that Brian realized he simply wasn't able to control Justin or the situation in which Justin was choosing to place himself. For the first time Brian was really powerless in trying to influence Justin. Justin's always had a mind of his own but Brian was able to steer it when necessary the same way Justin's always been able to influence Brian.
Do you take this as a negative? Because in my experience, "couples" do that for one another. We try to help the other make good choices. I believe that Brian saw Justin's "rage" for the first time and knew he wouldn't be able to influence him or compete with that (anger takes on a life of it's own). Brian had his own "rage" he had to work through in his life, and no one could guide him through it. (I'm not sure he ever worked through it)

Quote:
I use the term impotent b/c later in the season he becomes physically impotent. Brian loses power/trust/control/confidence throughout the entire season.
This was very sad to me.

Quote:
When Brian answers Daphne OF COURSE THEY DON'T SHOW THIS ON CAMERA there's a sound and he's making a movement. If you watch closely it almost looks as if he's smacking his hands together in a slicing manner. (You can see only the tops of his arms so it's realllllly guess work and estimation.) But it looks kind of like Pontius Pilate doing the motion of "washing his hands" of it. So, if Brian is "washing his hands" in that moment then, yes, he's abandoning Justin. He's in pain but he's distanced himself from it and he's done. OUCH!!! That really disturbs me. Man, I wish they showed us what he was doing.

Can you tell me specifically what episode? I want to look at it again. There are several times throughout the series that if you don't watch closely, you may miss it.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:03 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥ Gale's Fragile Beauty ♥ (View Post)
Welcome back, Beth! What a wonderful post to come back to after being away.

I'm one of those who are not crazy about S4. But I do agree that it would have been perfect ending around 402. I wouldn't have called it ooey, gooey love, but I think Brian had somewhat evolved emotionally by this time and then BAM, he was back to his old way of thinking and acting.

Absolutely not! I also don't believe Brian fell immediately in love. I think he was taken aback by this beautiful boy who wanted him and not just for sex. Feeling wanted and needed by someone who wanted nothing but love from him was confusing. While others told him how selfish he was and basically unlovable, Justin was trying to show him something different, that he was worth so much more than sex and money.

Do you take this as a negative? Because in my experience, "couples" do that for one another. We try to help the other make good choices. I believe that Brian saw Justin's "rage" for the first time and knew he wouldn't be able to influence him or compete with that (anger takes on a life of it's own). Brian had his own "rage" he had to work through in his life, and no one could guide him through it. (I'm not sure he ever worked through it)

This was very sad to me.

Can you tell me specifically what episode? I want to look at it again. There are several times throughout the series that if you don't watch closely, you may miss it.
Hiya!
See, this is amazing. I've discussed this show for years and I've never heard a take like yours. Awesome discussion.
The episode is 405. Daphne's in Kinnetik. She's upset and wants Brian to talk to Justin. He's leaning against a desk. Watch when he answers her. After he's done speaking. He makes a sharp motion with his hands which are off camera.

I'm a strong believer that B fell in love instantly. But I absolutely love your insight. I never once thought of all of the reasons you gave. To me, they just add true layers of WHY B loved J. ITA he was confused. He was confused by his own feelings as well as J's pursuit and directness.

I don't take their influencing each other as a negative at all. I LOVE that they can steer each other and they do it equally for each other. They're a team. My point is that B did all he could and still it didn't make any difference so he had to let it play out. I was speaking against the point the poster made about this meant that B abandoned J.

It was the first time since the series began that B was completely and totally powerless when it came to a situation involving Justin. I think that spoke more to the plot point of the season.

In 401 in the back room the Greek Chorus spoke again and the words came from Justin: You always have to be the one in control. The one in charge. The one on top.

That set up the whole season of Brian's losing every one of the things Justin said he was.

Could you tell me how to quote your words in the separate boxes like you did with mine?

Thanks! And, thanks for the discussion. I really enjoy analyzing this stuff b/c the writers/music/mood lighting/Greek Chorus leave so much up to interpretation.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread