Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2017, 04:51 AM
Sia
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmaldy24 (View Post)
Through a lot of the seasons they don't let Brian change - like Lindsay wouldn't take his tickets to Miami or so often he would do things like glueing the judge to the toilet seat or putting his own money into ads against the police chief and people would never know it was him or when he did something they would tell him it was so out of character and not what he was like. They didn't seem to want to see a good side or let him be a different person at times.
Yes, I found that really strange because everyone was critizing that he was selfish prick and when he wanted to change or do something differently, they overlooked it. Especially that moment with tickets to Miami. Its s2 so probably we shall not be discussing it here, but what do you think about it? Because I think from Brians look that he really cared and wanted to give them the tickets, of course it might not have been 100% comfortable for him but thats life, growing up means going to new territories. And he was sincere, it came from his heart. And Lindsay reaction was strange, yes she wanted him to enjoy himself but for me it sounded like you are nothing more than clubboy so dont try to be better person.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:50 AM
Fan Forum Star

I agree with you both. There were so many situations where Brian showed his unconditional support of his friends and tried to make their lives better without them knowing.

There's a movie that I can watch again and again (7 Pounds), where the main character says to another, "You are a good person, even when no one is watching". That to me, is Brian. He shows this cold at times, uncaring exterior...that's what other expect of him. He doesn't need anyone to say he's a wonderful person. He doesn't do good things because he wants anything. He does good things when its the right thing to do. Does that make sense?

Sia: One rule that works for season discussions is: we can always "go down", not up. Just in case someone hasn't seen the later season, we wouldn't want to spoil. But it is great to stay on topic.

Thank you for noticing.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:07 AM
Sia
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥ Gale's Fragile Beauty ♥ (View Post)
I agree with you both. There were so many situations where Brian showed his unconditional support of his friends and tried to make their lives better without them knowing.

There's a movie that I can watch again and again (7 Pounds), where the main character says to another, "You are a good person, even when no one is watching". That to me, is Brian. He shows this cold at times, uncaring exterior...that's what other expect of him. He doesn't need anyone to say he's a wonderful person. He doesn't do good things because he wants anything. He does good things when its the right thing to do. Does that make sense?
Yes, he even did not wanted people to praise him because he didnt like opening himself emotionally in front of others. BUT to criticise him and calling him selfish prick thats extreme which he did not deserve. Of course he made some mistakes but so did Michael and everyone else. Nobody was black or white. Its because he never played victim, did not complain, was not cry baby, "poor me" and did not show his vulnerable side that he was steoreotyped as selfish prick.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Brian literally was ALWAYS helping everybody, though he never wanted to be seen as the hero. He did his good deeds in such a quiet way that nobody would ever suspect, except for the ones (Like Debbie or Justin... sometimes Michael) who know him excruciatingly well to not buy his bravado. I cannot list on my two hands alone all of the things he's helped his friends with, which is why I do not get it when some people call him one of the most hated characters, or say that he was a bad person just because he was brutally honest. Though, I guess that's why they're called opinions: Everybody has 'em.

"We came for the queer but stayed for the folk" ~ Peter Paige
Old 07-27-2017, 01:36 PM
Sia
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SojournHeart11 (View Post)
Brian literally was ALWAYS helping everybody, though he never wanted to be seen as the hero. He did his good deeds in such a quiet way that nobody would ever suspect, except for the ones (Like Debbie or Justin... sometimes Michael) who know him excruciatingly well to not buy his bravado. I cannot list on my two hands alone all of the things he's helped his friends with, which is why I do not get it when some people call him one of the most hated characters, or say that he was a bad person just because he was brutally honest. Though, I guess that's why they're called opinions: Everybody has 'em.
Some people look only on the surface, and saw Brian just as bad person and sex object. Similarly i dont understand how some people could see romantic love between Brian and Michael, i never saw it, even from Michaels part, it was just a crush he had on Brian.

Last edited by Sia; 07-27-2017 at 02:26 PM
Old 07-27-2017, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SojournHeart11 (View Post)
I don't understand this either - the way he helped and supported Justin and helped friends was amazing. He even took Justin back after he left with Ethan. Not everyone would've taken him back but he is understanding that Justin is young and got blinded by Ethan and his romantic ways. All he needed was Justin to say he made mistakes and that Brian should take him back when they meet in his office. Brian never really mentioned the affair again or held it against Justin. They go to Babylon and cha cha Brian was understanding and moved on with the relationship.

When he grabbed Justin's arm in the office and said 'that is so like you, you don't hear what you want so you leave'. To me that means he is saying to him - you don't hear the words I love you so you leave but that doesn't mean they aren't there or I don't feel something different for you. I mean he had asked Justin to stay with him in the loft - he never would've considered that before Justin. I think Justin thinks about that and he comes back to the office and says you should take me back and he knows what to expect from both of them now
Old 07-27-2017, 08:03 PM
Sia
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I don't understand this either - the way he helped and supported Justin and helped friends was amazing. He even took Justin back after he left with Ethan. Not everyone would've taken him back but he is understanding that Justin is young and got blinded by Ethan and his romantic ways. All he needed was Justin to say he made mistakes and that Brian should take him back when they meet in his office. Brian never really mentioned the affair again or held it against Justin. They go to Babylon and cha cha Brian was understanding and moved on with the relationship.

When he grabbed Justin's arm in the office and said 'that is so like you, you don't hear what you want so you leave'. To me that means he is saying to him - you don't hear the words I love you so you leave but that doesn't mean they aren't there or I don't feel something different for you. I mean he had asked Justin to stay with him in the loft - he never would've considered that before Justin. I think Justin thinks about that and he comes back to the office and says you should take me back and he knows what to expect from both of them now
Yes thats another thing I love about Brian. He forgives quiet easily withould holding grudge against people for a long time. Its actually real sign of maturity when a person can do that.
It was really sad that his friends saw him in such distorted way.
The scene in the office is beautiful, with lot of innuendos in their speech. And yes, Justin understood during their breakup that Brian really loves him and that only he expresses his love differently than most people.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sia (View Post)
Yes thats another thing I love about Brian. He forgives quiet easily withould holding grudge against people for a long time. Its actually real sign of maturity when a person can do that.
It was really sad that his friends saw him in such distorted way.
The scene in the office is beautiful, with lot of innuendos in their speech. And yes, Justin understood during their breakup that Brian really loves him and that only he expresses his love differently than most people.
I do love the innuendos in that speech - it's very hot .

You're right - Brian is very mature in some ways - I think with the way he sees himself as a gay man and his lifestyle from that and how he forgives his friends time and again (especially Michael from the first episode where he says such horrible things about Justin). I think I would've found it very hard to forgive him and Brian goes to him! He's amazing like that.

I think Brian's immaturity or difficulties is with his emotions from his family upbringing. And like mentioned he has difficulties because his friends don't want to see the changes and emotional maturity he is coming to over the years.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:48 PM
Sia
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I think Brian's immaturity or difficulties is with his emotions from his family upbringing. And like mentioned he has difficulties because his friends don't want to see the changes and emotional maturity he is coming to over the years.
Fortunately Justin came to his life and challenged him and allowed him to evolve or rather uncover his hidden possibilities. Brian had everything already in him just needed someone to give a chance to let it grow.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Fortunately Justin came to his life and challenged him and allowed him to evolve or rather uncover his hidden possibilities. Brian had everything already in him just needed someone to give a chance to let it grow.
Yeah Like Deb says that kid snuck in under the wire and got into his heart. He needed someone new and different to see him in a different way as all his friends just saw the same person.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:01 AM
Sia
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Yeah Like Deb says that kid snuck in under the wire and got into his heart. He needed someone new and different to see him in a different way as all his friends just saw the same person.
Justin did not accepted any of his bull**** excuses 😉
Old 07-28-2017, 04:45 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Justin did not accepted any of his bull**** excuses 😉
He says that often as well - that he knows Brian and that Brian can't use his tricks on him and what he's really like . I like in season 1 (yes I know a little throwback to season 1) but I like that Justin doesn't go with Brian after the king of Babylon but says oh well I told you I might be busy. If he had just gone running back to Brian he wouldn't have shown Brian that he would stand up for himself and not take his crap and take anything he gave out. And quite often throughout the seasons we see that .
Old 07-28-2017, 05:01 AM
Sia
Extreme Fan

Quote:
He says that often as well - that he knows Brian and that Brian can't use his tricks on him and what he's really like . I like in season 1 (yes I know a little throwback to season 1) but I like that Justin doesn't go with Brian after the king of Babylon but says oh well I told you I might be busy. If he had just gone running back to Brian he wouldn't have shown Brian that he would stand up for himself and not take his crap and take anything he gave out. And quite often throughout the seasons we see that .
Yes, and thats also reason why Brian could have fallen in love with him because he became his equal, challenged him, pursued him but at same time had his own selfvalue. Brian was jealous in king of babylon scene but at same time realized he is real deal 😂
Old 07-28-2017, 05:08 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Yes, and thats also reason why Brian could have fallen in love with him because he became his equal, challenged him, pursued him but at same time had his own selfvalue. Brian was jealous in king of babylon scene but at same time realized he is real deal 😂
Very true - he would never be with someone who just fawned all over him and didn't challenge him in some way
Old 07-31-2017, 01:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Justin managed to challenge Brian.. he had to accept that he has a mind of his own, but he never gave up on getting what he wanted..

icon by Daggi
Closed Thread   Post New Thread