Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

he always seems to walk that fine line of selfishness and selflessness... although i fully believe by the end of it he was more concerned about the backroom being closed and stockwell ultimately ruining his good time versus seeking everyone elses redemption/approval... even michael knew he was looking out for number one and wanted out of pittsburgh, but the lengths he went to, to catch stockwell by endorsing the commercial himself was priceless... i guess you can never really know with him... more than anything i appreciate how justins act of laying it all on the line made brian take a good long look at himself... i guess i lost everything... not everything *squee*
Old 04-02-2008, 01:56 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
that's what I love about him that he almost always does the right thing
Really? Because what I love about him is that he hardly ever does the right thing or he effs things up and then finally get back to his senses

Quote:
although i fully believe by the end of it he was more concerned about the backroom being closed and stockwell ultimately ruining his good time versus seeking everyone elses redemption/approval...
I actually never considered it in terms of seeking redemption or people's approval. More doing this because he simply knew it was a right thing to do vs. doing this because of Justin's influence and backrooms' closing. Honestly I think some of the fandom should stop turning Brian into this noble knight saving Gayopolis because I really don't think he gave a crap about Liberty Ave. If he wanted anyone's approval it'd be Justin and maybe his friends/family. And it wouldn't even be a conscious decision to begin with. And yes he turned it into a big thing with the commercial and possessions withdrawal - but then again he was always a huge drama queen in his gestures
Old 04-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

i meant that he couldn't care less about other people... his only motive all along was himself... im sure there was some underlying concern for the people he knew, but no one else... in fact when all the other places were first shut down it was quite clear that brian was partly responsible citing reasons for why they should have been closed... he was trying to create a better world for him to play in... although im sure he was using stockwell to get out of Pittsburgh once and for all... unfortunately he got fcked over so of course he sought revenge... homeless, jobless and penniless, yes... but without Babylon what would brian be?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
his only motive all along was himself... im sure there was some underlying concern for the people he knew, but no one else...
I totally agree with this. Brian can be a very giving person, but only when it comes to people really close to him. He wouldn't give a crap about higher ideals, it's just not a part of his personality. Then again who can blame him? The way he grew up, he had to be only concerned about himself.

Quote:
but without Babylon what would brian be?
Well he did try to turn his loft into the next backroom
Old 04-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

seriously, after you learn about his childhood and his lack of faith and trust in people its better he remain who he is as oppose to conform to someone elses values and beliefs for the sake of being "happy"... i truly believe a person can never really change who they are... they can become and evolve, but you can't just abandon your past or what defines you as a person... of course for anyone to want to love and to be loved is only a natural human instinct... for brian to allow that process to unfold with justin is truly an amazing thing to watch

im sure after even justin wouldnt show up he dashed that idea
Old 04-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Really? Because what I love about him is that he hardly ever does the right thing or he effs things up and then finally get back to his senses
that's what I meant to say that in the end he does the right thing of course he screws it up first
“ We don't know who we are until we're connected to someone else. We're just better human beings when we're with the person we're supposed to be with. I wasn't supposed to leave. I belong here." Quote byTara from Sons of Anarchy 3x01
Icon by Zonikita
Old 04-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
i truly believe a person can never really change who they are... they can become and evolve, but you can't just abandon your past or what defines you as a person...
I agree with you The great thing about such characters as Brian is that the changes we see are just extensions of his subconscious desires, awaken by a simple fact that he grows up as a person. That he is becoming more mature, more conscious of what he truly wants in his life.
Obviously what makes this process more interesting is the fact that it doesn't go smoothly. There's this amazing scene where Stockwell publicly points to him as his gay friend and collaborator and you just can see on Brian's face that he knows it's wrong, that he's selling himself for power. Yet he still lets it happen.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~DresdenDoll~ (View Post)
There's this amazing scene where Stockwell publicly points to him as his gay friend and collaborator and you just can see on Brian's face that he knows it's wrong, that he's selling himself for power. Yet he still lets it happen.
it must have taken so much for him to be that submissive... to actually allow such an ass hole to claim him as one of his own... granted the events that unfold after this are nothing short of astounding... i think brian never really allowed anyone to fully see who he was, but justin... at least in the context of this story line... i mean you really get the sense that this is one of the few times in his life where he has fallen and is lost within his own doing, but for once has someone there to help him through it... it shows tremendous growth in his character, but surely he remains who he is in the long run regardless... such characters are so few and far in between
Old 04-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

you're right that he never really allowed anyone to see who he was because to him it would be showing weakness.
“ We don't know who we are until we're connected to someone else. We're just better human beings when we're with the person we're supposed to be with. I wasn't supposed to leave. I belong here." Quote byTara from Sons of Anarchy 3x01
Icon by Zonikita
Old 04-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

definitely... any sign or show of emotion would equal weakness... at least in brian's eyes... and once a person sees you in that light, there is no recovering from being that open and honest... its almost as if he would be ashamed if anyone were to ever witness him resemble a human being... imo there is nothing wrong with wanting or even needing to be in control... more than anything thats what brian does... he has to be the one in control, the one on top... one thing that i've come to find of him is that for what he lacks in words, he makes up in gestures... he's a very affectionate person physically... beyond the sex i mean ... whether it be a stroke of the cheek or a full fledged embrace... he offers some sort of comfort to another through physical contact... its a part of his charm that i find very endearing
Old 04-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunee (View Post)
to be that submissive...
I just imagined the look on his face if he'd get to know you used this word referring to him. Oh, dear

Quote:
to actually allow such an ass hole to claim him as one of his own... granted the events that unfold after this are nothing short of astounding...
It's actually quite interesting he went that far considering that he decided not to sell himself to Telson in S1. In a way both meant getting on his knees and getting effed for business. I know business had always top priority for him but he didn't cross that line in S1. When he looked into the mirror it always seemed to me like he was suddenly disgusted with himself. Like you said Do, he knew it was wrong to let them use him for the Stockwell campaign, so I wonder why did he sell himself this time...

Quote:
such characters are so few and far in between
I guess that's why we all love him so much. The wonderful thing about the Brian-Kinney-operating-manual is that there are always new pages popping up out of nowhere and you have to go back to the first page and read it all over again. It's my absolute favorite reading

BTW I just noticed that we have an Ethan smiley => According to the look on his face it's 3.07 and Justin has just left him

Quote:
he's a very affectionate person physically... beyond the sex i mean ... whether it be a stroke of the cheek or a full fledged embrace... he offers some sort of comfort to another through physical contact... its a part of his charm that i find very endearing
ITA His actions always said more than thousand words. I loved his wordless conversations with Justin. The chemistry between them was always amazing.

Icon by Carmen
Who says love is an easy ride - General Motors?

Last edited by CleverDevil; 04-03-2008 at 02:07 PM
Old 04-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

lmao @ the ethan smiley

yeah his actions always speak louder than words
Icon by Zonikita
Old 04-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

i know right... brian kinney, submissive? NEVER! but in that moment, on some level, he was imo... and good point about season one... how easily I forget that even brian has his lines he doesnt cross... maybe the point was, was to show that even he has moments of imperfection... that brian can just as easily fall under the spell of his own selfishness like anybody else
Old 04-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

that he's human after all
Icon by Zonikita
Old 04-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

shh, i think thats as offense as me saying he's submissive
Closed Thread   Post New Thread