Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2017, 07:09 AM
Sia
Extreme Fan

Some details about film MILADA featuring Robert Gant

I just learnt amazing things about the film that I did not know before - although the director is Czech and film was shot in Czech Republic, it was produced/financed by Netflix and shot completely in English, so it will be available soon (premiere is in November in Prague) all over the world! Robert Gant is playing Miladas husband Bohuslav.

The story of communist show-trial victim Milada Horáková is coming to the big screen thanks to Netflix. The film Milada was shot in English and will be released Nov. 2 in the Czech Republic and a little later in the rest of the world. After theatrical distribution, it will be available for streaming.

Milada Horáková fought for her country's freedom at the cost of her own. She was one of the first victims of the communist regime in Czechoslovakia .She opposed the communist coup in 1948 but did not leave the country. She was arrested and tried for treason on fabricated charges in a show trial that was broadcast on the radio and shown in film clips.The film focuses on the time from 1945 to 1950 when the communists took over, but also goes back a little further in Horáková's life into the late 1930s.

The film makers want to present the dramatic fate of Milada Horakova, which shattered the world at the time...It is a life story of the main character. It shows Milada's ambitions and doubts, her dilemma on whether to fulfil its duty towards her homeland or her family, and her determination to live in harmony with her conscience. Appeal for pardon for Milada was requested for example by Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill or Eleanor Roosevelt. The central themes of the film are freedom, fight for democracy, truth, love, hope, power and sacrifice.

The story is well-known to most people in the Czech Republic, and a street in Prague is named after her (actually I live just two streets away  ). But people worldwide have never heard about it. And while the film tells an important Czech story, it did not get local funding. “No money came from the Czech Film Fund. It is a sad story. No one in the Czech Republic has helped us. Not Czech TV, not the film fund. No one. So we had to look overseas. If it wasn't for Netflix, this wouldn't have happened,” the director said.“We are one of the first movies funded by them,” he added. “We are the first Czech film that is going to get into more than 100 million households by the end of this year. That is exactly what I promised to the daughter. … And thanks to Netflix it is possible.”

The cast is a mix of international and Czech actors. The title role is played by Israeli actress Ayelet Zurer. She played in films like Angels and Demons with Tom Hanks. Her first big English speaking role was Steven Spielberg’s Munich opposite Eric Bana. “She did an amazing on Milada. She is part Czechoslovak, her mom comes from Slovakia. So she had an understanding of the culture, and she is great with accents,” Mrnka said. Actor Robert Gant plays Horáková's husband.

The film was shot on many of the actual locations. “We didn't build any sets because we wanted to keep as true to the original locations as possible. For example the last court scenes, we shot it in the actual courtroom where Milada stood 67 years ago. We did go into painstaking details to restore the courtroom and all the other locations, but some of them don't exist anymore like the Parliament … so we had to shoot all over the Czech Republic. We had lots of locations. It was very complex,” director Mrnka said.

The film was shot in color but incorporates some historical film clips that Mrnka said were colored in innovative ways to blend the historical footage in with the acted scenes.

While the film will be shown in English worldwide, there will be a Czech-language version made to show in local theater.

This teaser is with Czech voiceover but I am putting it here because there is Robert seen there

Old 08-25-2017, 07:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

thanks for that Sia

icon by Daggi
Old 08-26-2017, 08:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Ooh... that looks MAD interesting. Can't wait to check out the entire movie.

"We came for the queer but stayed for the folk" ~ Peter Paige
Old 08-30-2017, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Fan

Just watching an old Criminal Minds episode and who is the prison warden but Robert Gant It's always cool to see the QAF actors in another show .
Old 08-31-2017, 04:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks so much, Sia.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmaldy24 (View Post)
Just watching an old Criminal Minds episode and who is the prison warden but Robert Gant It's always cool to see the QAF actors in another show .
I so love when that happens

Sia is really missed with all her great finds

icon by Daggi
Old 08-31-2017, 11:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

We miss you already Sia

"We came for the queer but stayed for the folk" ~ Peter Paige
Old 09-01-2017, 01:06 AM
Sia
Extreme Fan

I like how Robert keeps us updated

robertgant: While in Tampa with family, a quick pit stop for a bite at Ford's Garage seemed in order. #naturally #coolcars
Old 09-04-2017, 02:52 AM
Ultimate Fan

I don't know how old he is but he looks great for his age
Old 09-04-2017, 07:11 AM
Sia
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmaldy24 (View Post)
I don't know how old he is but he looks great for his age
He does, its like he did not change at all from when qaf aired and it has been 12 years!

Btw, here is the age of actors during the show and now in 2017

Old 09-04-2017, 07:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

That photo was taken about a mile from my house. They just opened a Ford's Garage up here.

Sia: Thanks for posting the ages of the actors. They all look so good!
Old 09-04-2017, 08:10 AM
Sia
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥ Gale's Fragile Beauty ♥ (View Post)
That photo was taken about a mile from my house. They just opened a Ford's Garage up here.

Sia: Thanks for posting the ages of the actors. They all look so good!
Omg, thats so interesting that he was passing by so near your house
And I agree they all look very good.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

Robert is a Tampa native and seems very close with his family. He visits them a lot and posts pictures. I think that's so sweet. Don't you?
Old 09-04-2017, 08:15 AM
Sia
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Robert is a Tampa native and seems very close with his family. He visits them a lot and posts pictures. I think that's so sweet. Don't you?
I agree, ita really nice and it shows how great man he is, never forgetting his family
Old 09-04-2017, 08:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
Maybe someday you run into him during shopping

icon by Daggi
Closed Thread   Post New Thread