Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 08:50 AM
Master Fan

Anyone else?

I try to watch this series in between restarting QAF US, to give it a little breather. Though I heard "You Think You're a Man" in an episode a couple nights ago and it REALLY made me want to start the US pilot immediately.

Me: "Ted, you're my favorite!"
Scott Lowell: "Aww, thank you! Well, you're my favorite now, too."
I'm Brian Kinney, FFS! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Though it's not as flashy as the US counterpart, I quite enjoy the UK edition, too. Haven't seen it in a while.

"We came for the queer but stayed for the folk" ~ Peter Paige
SojournHeart11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:44 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Brian Kinney, FFS! (View Post)

I do like Stuart (Alan Jones ) and Nathan, but their chemistry is NOTHING compared to Brian/Justin. I get the impression that Stuart barely cares about Nathan. And the Stuart/Vince relationship is way more teased at the end of the series than Brian/Michael. I don't believe that they were actually together, though, like some fan theories I'd read suggested.
I watched it once on YouTube a few years ago because I wanted to know the original but I couldn't really get into it. I also had problems understanding the actors. And I missed Emmett, the UK "Emmett" (Alexander ???) is missing Emmett's complexity imo.

I like Stuart too (not like I like Brian) but from what I remember he totally enjoys his life / lifestyle and I like that he is confident and doesn't let himself be ****-shamed. I agree that he barely cares about Nathan while Brian came to care about Justin.

I also didn't had the impression that Stuart and Vince are together in a romantic sense at the end of the series.
Artemis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

I think it is hard to fit all we get over years with the relationship of Brian and Justin in just 8?episodes of the uk version..

maybe they do it in a different way in their reeboot

icon by Daggi
Giotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:33 PM
Master Fan

There are a couple of times I can't really understand what they're saying, either. But I've watched it a few times now, and it seems to have gotten easier. Alexander was definitely Emmett's UK counterpart, but he ain't got nothin' on him. I find him sometimes funny, but mainly obnoxious.

I really like Stuart's walk. He struts. He walks in like he owns the place, and like people will bow to him. He definitely set the stage for Brian Kinney in a good way.

Nathan is adorable, but also so lanky and awkward, and he definitely can't dance. I'd argue he's more attractive than Justin, but Justin's moves and overall slickness (not always, of course) put Nathan to shame. Nathan's certainly a young, lovesick lost puppy, following Stuart around and waiting for his scraps. I feel sad for him, whereas I feel like Brian started giving a lot to Justin early on (if nothing else, certainly life wisdom, and encouragement).

I'd argue Stuart is more of a d*ck than Brian.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Those guys are hard to understand. some areas in teh UK do have mean slangs and pronounciations and they really want us to learn british english in school over here it might sound educated, but it is not worth the money, cause in every town nobody speaks the educated britsh englisch maybe in schools or collages or so on, but not on the street.. I'm glad my english turned out more american

icon by Daggi
Old 03-14-2019, 08:03 AM
Master Fan

That's interesting. Yeah, I wouldn't think learning that kind of English would benefit you much...unless you're going to...England. Our kind is better. Hehe.

I'm amazed by how much the US version carried over from the very ending of the UK version. At the end of season 2 UK, when they have that quick summary at the end of what happened to all the characters, wow! They made storylines out of a lot of it.
-Debbie dating a cop (Hazel married a cop)
-Justin becoming King of Babylon ("Nathan became King of the World")

Dangit. Now I'm blanking. I had more a couple days ago.

Whenever I rewatch the UK series, I'm always surprised by just how much was carried over throughout the US version, though. There were so few episodes, and most of the total episode recreations happen throughout season one (like that stupid French almost-wedding haha), but I've caught stuff as late as season 3, and I kind of suspect the Pink Posse now was inspired by the very end of the UK series.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:56 AM
New Fan

@ Giotto that is true but I think Nathan and Stuart have a different relationship as Brian and Justin in general (not from the first night on) so I don't think more episodes would have changed something and it wasn't meant as a critic against Stuart, why should he care about a one(or two)-night-stand (which goes for Brian too)

@ BrianKinneyFFS

The "funny" thing for me is two bandmembers from one of my favourite bands are from Manchester and the characters are supposed to be from Manchester if I remember it right. And I have no problem understanding the two bandmembers in interviews and in general like british actors (and voices) more than american actors so I was really surprised that I had such a tough time to understand them.

To each their own. Nathan (or the actor) is far from ugly of course but he looks so "upright" (don't know if that is the right word). I also didn't get the impression that Nathan is so lovesick about Stuart and especially the end of the UK series left me with the impression that Nathan will take over Stuart's place as a stud someday. So I never felt sorry for him (but I also never felt sorry for Justin when Brian made his "I don't believe in love" speech). I guess I'm just heartless

I agree about Brian giving Justin life wisdom and encouragement even before he was in love with him.

One situation where Stuart was a total d*ck imo was when he wanted to out the mother of his child to the foreigners registration office that the marriage with the guy wouldn't be real (or is my memory wrong about that).
Artemis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:42 AM
Fan Forum Star

Ooo...I forgot this thread was here.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

since we did the single episode threads, it kind of got neglected

icon by Daggi
Old 09-12-2019, 05:49 PM
Master Fan

Aww, yay!

Those episodes we watched yesterday were the best.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:20 PM
Master Fan

I miss watching QAF UK.

Reply   Post New Thread