Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2016, 02:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Does that mean we're moving to 403?
Old 08-05-2016, 02:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

No meaningful comment here for two weeks .. what's your considered judgement hun
Old 08-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

My sad sorry question was because I didn't remember if the 402 referenced in the title, was new or old.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh my, that would be really sad if we'd just moved on to a new ep and nobody responded for two weeks
Old 08-07-2016, 01:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥ Gale's Fragile Beauty ♥ (View Post)
My sad sorry question was because I didn't remember if the 402 referenced in the title, was new or old.
Well... I guess I'm out then, since mine always turn out more like a summary

icon by Daggi
Giotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Seems like everyone's lost interest in this thread

We're not commenting on 402 anymore but no~one's moving on to 403!
Old 08-07-2016, 01:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

I will do it tonight if nobody has done it till then, but I don't have the working titles, and I can't do it from my tablet

icon by Daggi
Old 08-07-2016, 07:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Maureen true, but I was thinking in terms of why the early season 4 episodes felt like a continuation and not like a fresh start to something else.

Quote:
But the thing is....We don't need to be updated on what happened last season even if some time has passed. Even back then they had reruns for that problem.

"We came for the queer but stayed for the folk" ~ Peter Paige
SojournHeart11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:58 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giotto (View Post)
I will do it tonight if nobody has done it till then, but I don't have the working titles, and I can't do it from my tablet

I think I can review 403 when you move on to that episode. But it might take a couple of days to finish it.
maureen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Here we go

let's go to Episode 3

icon by Daggi
Old 08-07-2016, 10:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureen99 (View Post)
I think I can review 403 when you move on to that episode. But it might take a couple of days to finish it.
Take as long as you like hun .. I know it'll be worth the wait
Old 08-08-2016, 06:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for updating the thread, Daggi!
Old 08-09-2016, 02:07 PM
Part-Time Fan

Episode 403

Upon learning he's not positive Ted has an oddly subdued reaction. But then you remember this is Ted we're talking about. Nearby is another man who has gotten less happy news. It's good that the show includes this, it underscores how lucky Ted really is. It also goes to further explain Ted's uncelebratory demeanor. Talk of needing a job gets what I consider a stupid response from Blake about doing something you love. People are always saying this, but it's rarely hardly ever possible.

Not much later, there's a very awkward non meeting between Ted and Emmett on the street. An attempt is made to compare this to an old fashioned western showdown style gunfight. But the comparison doesn't jibe as it's really not that serious. In fact, it's down right ridiculous. Emmett runs away from Ted as Mr. Schmidt runs from Michael and Brian. I can see why Em would want no part of Ted, and even why Ted would avoid Emmett. But why is Ted evading Brian and Michael? While this whole scene made little sense, I did like Brian's bit about judging Ted.

We get a rare glimpse of Daphne's apartment as Cody tells his new posse they need to have a "uniform appearance". This is all well and good, but why does this mean they all have to look like Cody? Mr. Bell displays a bit of his dubious charm by huffing at Daphne's attempt at levity and declaring the patrol off limits to heterosexuals. To which Daphne defends herself nicely with her "straight soda, straight room' declaration.

There's a little domestic scene with Michael visiting Mel, Linds, and Gus in the kitchen that starts out pleasant enough. But since this is television, such conviviality cannot continue for long. Sure enough Emmett's arrival creates tension over cookies the woman are baking for Ted. This creates another hard to swallow moment as I just can't buy the idea that Lindsay can't spare a couple of cookies for Emmett. It may be necessary for Em to find out the girls are doing nice things for Ted, but Linds spilling the beans over a cookie is just not believable.

Jennifer sans Justin almost always signals talk of real estate. It's no different here. It's with both relief (that he's not selling his loft) and no surprise (this is Brian Kinney) when Brian says he wants a different sort of office space. Unfortunately this cordial scene turns extremely sour when Justin walks through the door with a horrible haircut. And making Justin even uglier than his new do is the disgusting way he speaks to his mother. Every word Justin has for her save "Goodbye" is full of snotty foul mouthed contempt. I wanted to smack him, and wondered why neither Jennifer nor Brian rebuked the smart mouthed brat. On a more positive note, this could also be considered a special b/j moment. I say special because if Brian really thinks Justin's haircut is "hot", then it has to be love.

Ted's opera singing audition was pleasant enough to watch even if the deck was clearly stacked in his favor. The first singer was so bad even my untrained ear picked up on it, but I guess that was the point.

Vic and Rodney don't live together, so nobody with half a brain would think the two men were sharing the same bed merely to sleep. But here we are actually supposed to believe Debbie is so clueless as to walk in on Vic and his boyfriend and insist that they come watch movies with her. Equally as bad is the idea that Vic wouldn't set her straight on this matter. Absolutely none of this flies, making the whole scene just so much bulls!*t.

However, Michael's cluelessness when visiting Ted I do buy. This is partly due to my continued complete lack of understanding as to why Ted flees from the presence of everyone but Blake. Even in the face of Ted practically telling him to get lost, Michael remains undeterred, pledging his support however it might be needed. I share Michael's confusion over Ted's attitude, if not Michael's patience.

Justin certainly is a sight in his posse gear of pink tee and matching pants. Where did they manage to find camouflage with just the right amount of rose tint running through it? Though I didn't find Justin's new look as silly as Brian apparently did, I did enjoy the man's little laugh at first sight of Justin's Pink Posse uniform. And Brian's "You'll be recognizable alright.", was even better. It's interesting that Justin now puts Brian and Jennifer in the same category when Brian shows misgivings over Cody. But to his credit Brian doesn't bite. Instead he commiserates with Jennifer's position in a comical mock southern accent. Things get more serious when Brian's inquiry about school gets an angry retort from Justin. Justin's disdain for school is sad but understandable given the way PIFA treated him. And to the question of whether Justin is angry or committed, I think he is both. Unfortunately, this combination is a volatile mixture in both tv land and the real world.

Every time Hunter and Michael are in a room together, it's likely to lead to bickering. And that's how it plays out here but with a new wrinkle. After realizing he's channeling his mother over Hunter reading comic books, Michael overreacts by pitching a fistful of the questionable literature at the boy. But this is just a pointless fun but comic respite to Vic coming round to complain about his situation. Rodney's idea about getting their own place is seconded by Hunter, but Vic's real concern is how Debbie will react. Vic's reasoning seems extremely faulty over this. His belief that Deb would be "heartbroken" is a totally unsupported assumption. He also seems to think Deb's helping him through his sickness means he must live in service to his sister forever. Michael tries to reassure Vic that Deb would be happy for him and Rodney, but Vic still looks doubtful. All I have to say is how come Vic is now planning to move out when just telling Deb to stay out of his bedroom might have sufficed?

Why does this show take random potshots at lesbians at every opportunity? I couldn't care less about political correctness or lesbians, yet even I'm getting annoyed. This time it comes courtesy of Ted's surprise that Mel and Linds cookies are actually good. Anyway, back to the action at hand as Ted and Blake are once again together. Here Blake, who earlier seemed more boyfriend than counselor, now is a mix of both as he advises Ted to appreciate his friends while reminding him that he's heard him sing in the shower. It's beyond tiresome to hear Ted brush off compliments about his friends. Ted never appreciating anything he has is old news. But we do learn that Ted got the singing job.

As Brian and Justin walk together before going their separate ways, they look and act so much like an established couple. Justin speaks with slight disappointment of his first patrol consisting of simple favors for the local population. But Brian is supportive, possibly hoping all Justin's experiences will be so non eventful.

Jennifer finding Brian an old bathhouse for his new headquarters is inspired. As Brian goes about the location to which he clearly needs no direction, one is struck by how familiar is looks, very possibly one of the bathhouse scenes from seasons past was filmed here. Brian obviously likes the place a lot. And it really is the perfect venue for his new business. Had Kennetic not had such a home it would have been a disappointment.

I wondered what was going on with Ted's singing job in the beginning. There was simply no way he was actually going to sing on stage. Even this show couldn't be that unrealistic. But on first viewing of Ted belting out Pagliacci in black tie, I had my doubts for a second. But I love the reveal of the restaurant in the background and the full body shot displaying Ted's waiter's apron. So they found a way for Ted to have an opera singing job in a believable manner after all.And in an episode rife with unlikely events and irrational behavior, I have to hand it to whoever managed to inject a little feasibility into this outing.

Since this is television, Ted's new job must be discovered with no time to waste. In this case via Vic and Rodney who tell Ben and Michael, who in turn tell Deb and Emmett. Odd that it's the two people with the worst taste in interior design that have the audacity to disparage Riggoletto's decor. As to his plan to support Ted's new career with an impromptu visit, Michael is not so much clueless as he is downright thickheaded. Of course Em is not too receptive to the idea of cheering on his erstwhile boyfriend. And as Emmett shows his disapproval by stalking out, Michael's complete befuddlement makes you wonder if the man is now totally divorced from reality.

After a considerable amount of hemming and hawing while wearing a facial expression appropriate for telling someone their spouse is dead, Vic breaks the news that he's leaving to Debbie. And while Deb is clearly not thrilled, she covers by claiming happiness at this news. She goes on to overdo it big time by pretending Vic's absence will be a relief. Frankly it's hard to believe that Vic would buy her protestations that she wants him gone. But it does smooth the way for Vic to finally leave his sister's house. And Deb deserves a little credit for not trying to prevent Vic from having his own life.

The only thing more ridiculous than Michael's friendly ambush of Ted is that he's managed to enlist others in his lunacy. Ben, Mel, Linds and most surprisingly Brian, have all been rounded up to "support" Ted. Odd that Michael has roped Brian into being there, as Brian's never put much value in merely "being there" for someone, nor is he the sort to go out of his way to mock another person. But even if it doesn't make a lot of sense, Brian's presence does net a good sight gag in the form of the giant meatball he hefts. Things go pretty much as expected by anyone who isn't Michael when a singing Ted spies his friends among the tables. Can't say I blame Ted for being upset over being blindsided, even if it was done with the best of intentions. But Ted suddenly stalking off was very unlike him.

Cody and Justin lead the Pink Posse down Liberty Avenue, looking as formidable as two slightly built, soft featured boys can muster. But they're ready for action, and when the opportunity comes, the posse reacts quickly and enthusiastically. I applaud Cody and company for putting a hurting on a couple of homo haters who think they can come into a gay neighborhood and do as they please. But I doubt a gang of gay men stealing straight men's pants is the sending the right message.

The night's excitement seems to be a big turn on for Justin, who literally runs to Brian's loft. Justin's bragging could be considered a form of verbal foreplay as he quickly gets to the sex. A lot of b/j fans adore this scene with phrases like "Ohhh chair sex." abounding. It is easy to see why it's a favorite as it's one of the better written and shot sexual encounters. And given that this couple has an excess of carnal interludes, that the show has managed to do something new here is saying a lot. But while in any other circumstance I'd agree with the chair sex lovers, I just can't get past Justin's horrible hair. Justin is looking so ugly it ruins the whole scene. It's too bad such a small thing as a haircut would be a deal breaker, but there you are.

Ted's ridiculous treatment toward his friends is finally explained via Blake as he runs across Ben and Michael. But while I love the detail of Michael still treating Blake coldly, the reason put forth for Ted's cold shoulder is a disappointment. Ted is avoiding everyone he's known for years because they remind him of his harmful but brief drug taking days? Is this for real?

It nets a smile to see Vic attempt to avoid that pair of stuffed animals only to compromise and take one as he leaves for his new place. Debbie is too be commended for putting up an unconcerned front, though she once again overdoes it. And Vic and Deb's goodbye was touching, even if it was predictable. But the most memorable thing is the silence in the house when Debbie is finally alone.

Justin is now so wrapped up in his Pink Posse patrol duty he has no interest in anything else. Brian tries to be the voice of reason, telling Justin he needs time off and showing concern for his safety. But in what seems to be a pattern this season, Justin rejects Brian's suggestion that he's (Justin) looking for trouble with extreme prejudice. With his intense hostility and refusal to be told, Justin is at least consistent in his overzealous passions.

At Babylon Emmett is dancing furiously but not looking very happy. Then Michael's offer of a drink gets Em going from unhappy to downright pi$$y as he starts grousing about Ted once again. I've sympathized with Emmett's position on everyone seemingly forgetting how much crap Ted put him through, but now it's getting old. Luckily Brian comes to the rescue, warning Emmett against forcing Michael to choose and dismissing his issue with Ted. The continuity problems with this show are so rife, you sometimes wonder if the writers even know what happened last episode, let alone last year. So I was almost thrilled when Emmett mentioned the speech Brian made about Ted to persuade Em to forget him on that "very dance floor" earlier. Brian helped Em then just as he helps him now. But as usual Brian can't do without some degree of jerkitude. So he rains on Emmett's Ramone parade by telling his fellow size queen he'll be disappointed later. And like it or not, this sort of thing is very in character for Brian Kinney.

While on patrol Justin and Cody reminisce about last night's straight a$$ kicking and lament this night doesn't offer more of the same. This isn't enough for Cody, who thinks it would be a great idea to go out and attack straight people where they live. Nice to see that gung ho Justin has the presence of mind to question this even if he does allow Cody to persuade him in the end.

I can understand being upset at Emmett's attitude. But Michael makes a face more fitting for a man whose entire social circle has deserted him. Come on, it's really not that bad. But when Emmett comes to make up...., ugh, again with that eye shadow. The eye makeup makes the notion that Emmett might want to go blond actually quite believable.

Cody crosses a line when he takes his fight to the straight world and deliberately provoking conflict by kissing Justin in public. But he really goes to far when Cody pretty much initiates a confrontation with a passing homophobe he managed to flush out. And even though the hostile straight man started the shoving match, it was Cody who kept the altercation going, even physically preventing the man from walking away. It's unfortunate the man says what he does about gays getting AIDS as it sets Justin off with memories of Hobbes stomping around in his head. So the formerly undecided Justin is now firmly on board with Cody's style of justice, even doing him one better by actually hitting the man. Don't think I'm alone in saying I'm none to fond of the new vigilante Justin. Still, I very much like the final shot where we get the"homophobe's" eye view as Justin pulls back to hit him and the screen goes blank with only the sound of the blow. An ugly action that none the less leaves us with a beautifully thought out parting shot.

Last edited by maureen99; 08-09-2016 at 10:43 PM
maureen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

OMB, literally just came across this masterpiece as I was off to bed hun I've been off work sick today otherwise I would stay up and read your stunning contribution to our forum .. but then I wouldn't be able to respond so I am going to save the whole delicious treat for tomorrow.

But thank you SO much gorgeous girl for what I am sure is another fabulous review of an episode .. just sorry you had to wait so long to do it
Old 08-09-2016, 04:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks Maureen. Here is my 403 playlist, for those who might not be able to view it the usual way.

QAF 403
Reply   Post New Thread