Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 10:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Happy 18th Birthday, Queer As Folk ~ "So... the thumpa-thumpa continues"

Happy 18th Birthday Queer As Folk!

18 years ago (December 3, 2000)...the pilot episode of Queer As Folk aired for the very first time and the rest is history. Happy 18th Birthday Queer As Folk!

by Deborah

by Denise

by Denise

by Chris

by Daggi

by Addie

by Deborah

Testimonials

Quote:
Denise: The early 2010s was an exciting time for me because I got the sense that something new and exciting was lurking just around the corner. Who would have possibly guessed that new, exciting thing would come in the form of an older show that aired 11 years prior called Queer as Folk? Certainly not me. But just like the wind, it swept me off my feet and took me on a memorable ride. Late one night, in June of 2011, I stayed up watching bits and pieces of the show stretched across various Youtube clips. It went on that way for about a good week or so. From there, it progressed to many months, and then years. Then I bought DVDs. The anticipation built up so high for the central character: Brian and his budding relationship with Justin. Tension for what would come for them as a couple was mounting inside. During that time I binge watched the entire show, from season one to season five, without any breaks in between. Cried my eyes out when the finale came, sad because it all had to end. The characters, the music, the story lines, the love stories enveloped me and captivated me like nothing else before it. To say it put me in a dreamlike state would be an understatement, because I was smitten. And up to that point, I've watched a good amount of older shows. But not many shows have been able to grab me the way this show has in the time I've been a fan.

Before QAF, I knew absolutely nothing about the LGBTQ+ community. I just knew that I loved watching two men (or women ) express their love for each other before the world. I just think it's so sweet. Back then, I was much younger and hadn't really made up my mind about how to feel about same-sex unions, and maybe that was for the best, as that kept my mind open enough to appreciate them and empathize with any struggles gay and lesbian brothers and sisters endure for being themselves. The show really opened my eyes to a lot of the issues that many people in the gay community face, and continues to face, unfortunately. And not just members of the gay community, but also everyone. In essence, QAF is about the entire human experience. Love versus loss, intolerance versus tolerance, life versus death... feelings of loneliness, feelings of rejection, feelings of failure, and most importantly, feelings of triumph, of victory. These are ALL concepts each and every human being has ever experienced, and always will. The show speaks to us all on such a humanistic level, and its messages reign universal for all to hear. I dare anyone watch this show and not become moved or changed in some way.

Happy 18th Birthday Queer as Folk
Quote:
Addie: HAPPY 18TH BIRTHDAY QUEER AS FOLK!!

This show may be 18 years old but it feels so new to me. I discovered it this year, in April I believe and it was almost by fluke. I was talking to a friend in my other fandom and we were talking about M/M and sharing GIFs, etc. She happened to share a GIF of Brian and Justin and I was like "Oh shiiiiiit that's hot." She told me it was from this show Queer As Folk that she really liked and that I should check it out. I had always heard of the show, even when it was on and I was like ten. I didn't know much about it back then other than it was about gay people because of "queer" in the title. So, I took my friend's advice and decided to download the show.

And my entire world exploded.

I started the first episode and I already loved it. When the first sex scene came on I was like "Oh okay wow we're really doing this, all right, great." It wasn't shocking per se because at this point I had consumed way too many M/M fics and wasn't phased by the sex itself. I was, however, shocked that there was a show that portrayed gay sex like this. And I was ON BOARD. And also, it was insanely hot. I mean, DUH.

I watched the entire series so fast, it wasn't even funny. I binged it, pretty much. And when I got to the last three episodes of the series, I stayed up until 2:30AM to finish it. And it was so emotional and I did not know what to do with myself. So, naturally, a week and a half later, I started the series again. And I have never done that before. Not so soon after just having watched it. And honestly, it feels like I haven't stopped watching it. I'm currently in my third re-watch of the series, now that I finally have the DVDs.

I love absolutely everything about this show. The characters, the relationships, the friendships, everything. I love Brian and Justin, of course, as does everyone. Justin is my baby though. But also, this show has inspired me so much and has opened my eyes to a lot of things. I have always been supportive of the LGBTQ community but this show has really raised my awareness of so many things. I feel like it has made me a better, stronger ally to the community and I am grateful for it. This show has done so much for me. I am so happy I decided to watch it.

And I also love that this show has lead me here, to this board, and to the friendships I now have because of it. Even more so, the fact that I got to meet a friend and have her come stay with me and visit the QAF sites is ASTOUNDING. And I am so grateful that Chris and I got to do that. Very, very grateful.

So, thank you, QAF. Thank you for everything. And Happy Birthday.
Quote:
Chris: Wow, Queer as Folk... Where do I even begin, FFS? This show's only been in my life for a few months now, but it feels like it's been there forever, considering all it's done for me.

I was just hoping to find a new favorite show, but I never could've dreamed what I was actually signing up for the day I hit "play" on that first episode of QAF on Netflix...and then proceeded to binge several episodes in a row (and even more the next day). I was so immediately grabbed by it - impressed, inspired - shocked, really. I went into it only knowing Hal Sparks and that I loved him from I love the '80s. I thought QAF might be a casual show I watched on occasion...boy was I wrong.

I was instantly so captivated by this world, by these characters. I wanted to hang out at the Liberty Diner and go to Babylon with them...every single day. I wanted to laugh and cry with them (and in a way, I did). I wanted them to be my real life best friends.

The obsession grabbed hold of me and wouldn't let go. And because of my love for the characters, I was able to take them seriously. This led to a very important shift in my personal life. When Brian said to Justin, "I know it's scarier finding your own way than doing what's expected", my world was shaken. It was like Brian Kinney had just slapped me across the face, through the TV. He was calling ME out, on not living an authentic life - on not accepting MY truth. Here I was celebrating these gay characters, and yet I was still in the closet, myself? It didn't make any sense. He challenged me, without even knowing it. I was inspired to make an immediate change, and to be courageous about it. So, thanks to QAF, I came out publicly on National Coming Out Day. I was able to share this with Hal a few days later, and he responded, "That's awesome; that was 100% the goal." His acknowledgment felt so good.

So much has happened within these few short months. I've made new friends on Fan Forum, been inspired to write fan fiction for the first time in years, virtually hung out with and even met Scott Lowell during the QAF Binge Clubs, chatted with Hal Sparks almost every Saturday afternoon during his YouTube livestream of his radio show, gotten that Brian quote tattooed (to remind myself that I'll never hide again) and even had the amazing opportunity to go to Toronto with a very special friend that I met through QAF's Fan Forum, to tour the filming locations. It was not only the coolest trip of my life, but I instantly vibed with the city, the REAL life "Liberty Avenue" (AKA Church Street), Woody's, etc. I feel like it's my home, and it's calling to me...so I am planning to move there, next year.

It's just incredible what a profound impact a TV show has had on me, on such a personal note. Even Brian's character in itself has bestowed me with wisdom, confidence and a new philosophy on life. I miss these guys when I go too long without seeing them. There hasn't been a day that's passed that I haven't watched at least one episode, listened to some of the soundtrack, hung out on the forums or watched fan videos. Since my first day of watching, I had to immediately restart the series again after finishing the last episode four times in a row.

I'm also so grateful to have finally watched this show for the first time at 29...the same age the boys are when the show begins. That added another personal level in which I could relate to them, and it's so special to me. I wasn't in as nearly as good of a place in my life before I started watching QAF just a few months ago... and now, I can honestly say thanks to its influence, that I've done plenty to make me feel PROUD.
Quote:
Claudia: This show opened my eyes to the lgbtq community and the issues that happen within the community. This show taught me acceptance and tolerance. This show will forever be in my heart and may the show's thumpa thumpa keep on going
Quote:
Daggi: A show turns 18 years and is as up to date as no other I know.. and no matter when we discover it, its fandom is still vivid. That is how I found Queer as Folk a few years ago and I can't imagine my life without it today. It brought to me a lot of knowledge and insights and the most important thing: A bunch of other fans who became my closest friends and second family from all over the world all that wouldn't have happened without that amazing show.
Quote:
Deborah: Queer As Folk means the world to me. Who knew that my obsession with LGBTQ+ books and movies would lead me here? I've met the most wonderful people, online and in-person from all over the world. I've had the opportunity to go to fandom events and meet the actors, my favorite fanfic writers and people who I shared with on LJ and here. QAF has given me so much and I'll be forever thankful.
Quote:
Dena: I discovered this wonderful show during the beginning of it's 3rd season as it aired in real time. We happened to have Showtime then and one night I happened upon the show. The title QAF caught my eye and as I started to watch, Brian and Justin were going through the aftermath of the breakup and all of the emotional angst that went along with that I was immediately hooked and watched the rest of the third season. Years later, I checked out the DVD's from the library and watched all of the Brian and Justin scenes~ lol....then last January, I found QAF on Netflix and I watched the WHOLE thing

Next, I went looking for a discussion board and found FF. Through FF, am so grateful to have met some really great people from all around the world who shared my obsession and would be willing to discuss every minute detail with me~ haha!!

I was always open minded before, but QAF has given me a chance to see through the characters' eyes and helped me empathize even more with the LGTBQ+ community

Happy 18th Birthday QAF!!
Old 12-03-2018, 08:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Happy Birthday to Queer As Folk!

Gus is now 18 and legal. I wonder if he is gay or straight. Not that it matters, but it would be cool to know. People have petitioned for a reboot, and it would be great but not as it was, but how it would be today. For example...Gus is 18...which means Justin is 35 and Brian is 47...OH! Gay marriage is legal, sooo... Do you think that after much success they got back together without sacrificing anything?

There are so many questions that I have today.

I also would like to say Happy Birthday to our little family here...because we celebrate a show whose characters we love and relate to and each other. What a wonderful thing it is that many of us will be lifelong friends...best friends. I'm getting all teary eyed, so I'll stop.

I want to thank Denise and Daggi for co-moderating with me for like 5 years! And Claudia, who was the Moderator here before for a long time. Oh... coincidentally it's her birthday too! She promised not to leave the board and still comes back every day to share about her day...to keep in touch. And to all of our new peeps who are here sometimes and those who are here everyday, I feel honored to be here will you all. In a perfect world, one day will ALL meet.

P.S. You all are welcome to use my celebration avi's.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:15 PM
Master Fan

Awww. I love it.

Happy 18th birthday, Queer as Folk. You have forever changed me.

I'll have to respond more tomorrow, but I just watched the pilot (parts 1 & 2) in honor of the occasion.

Me: "Ted, you're my favorite!"
Scott Lowell: "Aww, thank you! Well, you're my favorite now, too."
I'm Brian Kinney, FFS! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:50 AM
Moderator Manager

Happy 18th anniversary to the show! Congrats everyone!

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

L i N d $ @ y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Happy Birthday to that amazing show

thanks Deborah for making this beautiful thread it turned out ah-mazing

and I only can agree with all of you about the meaning of that show

icon by Daggi
Giotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:11 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Congratulations on your milestone!

Lovely banners in teh OP.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:34 AM
Extreme Fan

Aww this is such a great thread!! Happy Birthday QAF!!
daggerrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:23 AM
Master Fan

I love the avatar of Brian's victory pose!

I still have SOOO much love for the pilot episode. It's one of my favorites. Top 5 easily, maybe even top 3. It still gives me that warm, glowy feeling of when I started the show for the first time. It's just extra special now because of having been to several of the locations.

But seriously, I've never seen a better pilot episode of anything. And the fact that it continues to stand out as an amazing episode 18 years later...wow. This show..."it's a kind of magiiiiiiic."

Me: "Ted, you're my favorite!"
Scott Lowell: "Aww, thank you! Well, you're my favorite now, too."
I'm Brian Kinney, FFS! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

congrats
Old 12-04-2018, 07:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourburst (View Post)
congrats
Thanks Jade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
Congratulations on your milestone!

Lovely banners in teh OP.
Thank you, Chris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Happy 18th anniversary to the show! Congrats everyone!
Thanks Lindsay!
Old 12-05-2018, 07:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

I added Dena's beautiful testimonial to the OP. Check it out!
Old 12-05-2018, 08:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

I'm glad everybody enjoys this birthdayparty so much

icon by Daggi
Giotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:44 AM
Fan Forum Star

We did a good one, ladies!
Old 12-05-2018, 04:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero