Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2018, 05:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

I've always loved this campaign. I appreciate Hal's interpretation of it. Thanks for posting.

"We came for the queer but stayed for the folk" ~ Peter Paige
Old 08-05-2018, 07:17 AM
Master Fan

I wouldn't have watched QAF if not for Hal Sparks. When the show first aired, I was 11. So I missed the first run, and I'm pretty sure my -folks- didn't have Showtime, anyway. (I WAS super into The OC, which ran at the same time. )

Anyhoo, first saw Hal Sparks on "I Love the '80s" on VH1 and loooooved him! He was always my favorite, and it always said he was from QAF under his name. I kind of filed that away in my brain...then over the years I'd randomly think about watching it, but it wouldn't actually happen. Earlier this year I was thinking to myself, "I really want to fall in love with a show again and find something really awesome..." and I looked up this "List of TV shows you must watch before you die" and QAF was very high up on there, and I was instantly like "OMG, I've been needing to watch that!" but I didn't know anything about it, other than Hal being on it...and knowing his personality, I thought that it might just be kind of a funny/entertaining thing in a light way...

I was hooked from the first episode and immediately binged like 8 or something crazy episodes the first day, and continued bingeing the whole weekend. The addiction only grew from there...

So thank you, Hal Sparks, for being awesome, and leading me to the most amazing show ever! I'll say it was quite hilarious going from seeing him on VH1 to seeing him as Michael.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

I'm glad that Hal made you watch that great show. and for that made you find us to talk to, Chris

and it is funny to hear the different ways we all found the show. I came from a total different direction. A Stargate forum with a huge fanfiction archieve (which sadly got closed) and reading m/m slash fanfics.. everybody started talking about this new show coming.. well it took me a few years to finally watch, but I never would have known about it otherwise

icon by Daggi
Old 08-05-2018, 02:02 PM
Master Fan

I'm glad, too! It is interesting how we all got into it in different ways. Cool that we both took a few years to actually watch it! That's interesting that you used to read m/m fanfic, cause I actually used to write it. (still do, on occasion)

I was always destined to watch this amazing show...
Old 08-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Brian Kinney, FFS! (View Post)
I'm glad, too! It is interesting how we all got into it in different ways. Cool that we both took a few years to actually watch it! That's interesting that you used to read m/m fanfic, cause I actually used to write it. (still do, on occasion)

I was always destined to watch this amazing show...
which fandoms did you write?

icon by Daggi
Old 08-05-2018, 05:01 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giotto (View Post)
which fandoms did you write?
I wrote fanfics about my favorite band, Lifehouse. I only shared it with my close friends who read my online journal (Xanga, back in the day). But I did write many, many chapters. It could've been a novel, at least, easily.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Brian Kinney, FFS! (View Post)
I wrote fanfics about my favorite band, Lifehouse. I only shared it with my close friends who read my online journal (Xanga, back in the day). But I did write many, many chapters. It could've been a novel, at least, easily.
haven't heard of that band but that doesn't mean anything..

but I'm impressed of everybody who can write, no matter what

icon by Daggi
Old 08-06-2018, 08:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

I think it's great Hal got you into the show, Chris. He did add something special to show with the inclusion of his narration. I used to LOVE the I Love the 80s VH1 special, I used to watch it all the in the 2000s when it aired. That is where I knew Hal from, too. Had no idea he was on a show called Queer As Folk, but now here we are. I'm glad he was apart of it, he added his own personal flair to the character of Michael.

I, too, was very young when the show premiered back in 2000. I only found out about it this decade. But hey, better late than never.

"We came for the queer but stayed for the folk" ~ Peter Paige
Old 08-06-2018, 12:35 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SojournHeart11 (View Post)
I think it's great Hal got you into the show, Chris. He did add something special to show with the inclusion of his narration. I used to LOVE the I Love the 80s VH1 special, I used to watch it all the in the 2000s when it aired. That is where I knew Hal from, too. Had no idea he was on a show called Queer As Folk, but now here we are. I'm glad he was apart of it, he added his own personal flair to the character of Michael.

I, too, was very young when the show premiered back in 2000. I only found out about it this decade. But hey, better late than never.
Yay, another I Love the '80s Fan! I was obsessed with that show. I even based my final high school project on it. Yes, if not for Hal Sparks being awesome, who knows if we would've found the amazingness that is QAF...

And yes, better late than never is RIGHT! About 13 years later, for me... But I'm lucky to have found it when there is still so much fan activity, and even the actors are still doing events for us addicts.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

well.. nothing of all those things you are talking about made it over the big ocean.. but I'm glad he dragged you to watch QaF

icon by Daggi
Old 08-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giotto (View Post)
well.. nothing of all those things you are talking about made it over the big ocean.. but I'm glad he dragged you to watch QaF
Here's a sample clip from "I Love the '90s" (which was the next decade, so basically the sequel to "I Love the '80s", lol) with Hal doing his thing. So a little sample of the kind of thing that made me first fall in love with Hal.

https://youtu.be/9EtIzoNVmiI
Old 08-09-2018, 05:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

I used to watch "I Love The 90's" too!

I agree with Hal. I was a Peter Frampton fan as a young teen, and he was SOOO popular. And this song? One of his most popular songs ever!

Old 08-09-2018, 07:52 AM
Master Fan

Great show! I miss all of those "I Love the..." shows. I wish they'd release them on DVD! I'd buy them all...

That's terrible! I hate how little musicians make from the industry. It's not right.

Me: "Ted, you're my favorite!"
Scott Lowell: "Aww, thank you! Well, you're my favorite now, too."
Old 08-09-2018, 08:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Queer As Folk

I have to check thar out later thanks a lot

icon by Daggi
Old 08-09-2018, 10:20 AM
Master Fan

You're welcome. I couldn't figure out how to embed the YT video right into the post. I tried the little icon but it didn't work right.

Me: "Ted, you're my favorite!"
Scott Lowell: "Aww, thank you! Well, you're my favorite now, too."
Closed Thread   Post New Thread