Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2019, 05:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, this is where I agree with all of you. I prefer live TV, but I want them to take On Demand and that type of thing into account for ratings.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:12 AM
Master Fan

I downloaded the free trial of Disney plus and looked at it before work. There is so much in it. all the Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, Nat Geo and Fox movies and shows.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:31 AM
Fan Forum Legend

ABC dropping live viewership ratings.
Quote:
ABC is set to become the second of the major networks to no longer use Live+Same Day figures to measure the performance of its shows (with the exception of live programming), according to an internal memo sent out by ABC Entertainment president Karey Burke.

As viewership has evolved, so too has our ability to capture and monetize it, from C3 to C7 all the way to Multiplatform 35-day. And going forward, that will be reflected in how we report it internally and externally,” wrote Burke in her memo. “This move aligns us with how we evaluate the comprehensive performance of our shows, how we monetize our business and how our audience chooses to consume our content. People used to plan their lives around television, now they plan television around their lives.”
ABC to Stop Using Live+Same Day Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Yeah, this is where I agree with all of you. I prefer live TV, but I want them to take On Demand and that type of thing into account for ratings.
Okay we definitely all agree on that! I guess a lot of us just don't want our shows to be renew/cancelled based Neilsen viewership.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:45 AM
Master Fan

I know people still watch live, but there are so many shows and so many different ways to watch tv now that live ratings are almost meaningless. People canceling their cable packages have risen too. Because it cost way too much to pay for only watching a few channels. Plus some streaming platforms offer live tv as well.

I got rid of my cable over the summer and I don't miss it at all. Even watching the shows a day later doesn't stop me from discussing them on forums, if the show is going to be talked about it will be talked about for a few days or more. So I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

I've also find myself watching more and more streaming shows because they are allowed to be different and are not stuck on the Network show pattern.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Melissa, I completely agree especially when it comes to cable prices. It's simply insane the cost of it is to (as you mention) watch a few channels, and it's part of the reason why a lot of people is switching cable off and doing streaming now because it's more affordable and you get what you want to see.

And you can still watch live television.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I agree with the ridiculous cost of cable... but... I feel that too many channels and streaming services creates oversaturation. And I still like my cable TV On Demand which lets me watch shows and movies whenever I want.

There's an old song by Bruce Springsteen called '57 Channels And Nothin' On.' Well now we've got hundreds of channels and there never seems to be anything to watch anymore. Too much choice dilutes the product. I rarely get excited or involved in anything on TV these days. Human beings always overdo it when it comes to technology.

I see more and more television antennae coming back every day, and I wouldn't mind if we just switched back to that. You can stream stuff by antennae, you know. But I refuse to watch stuff on a laptop or a phone because that's bull. TV is meant for televisions, period.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:09 PM
Master Fan

I got rid of my cable because I realized most of the shows I watch are streaming shows. With The Good Place ending this week, LoT is the only Network show I watch. Even that depends if they are able to be better than last season.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:29 AM
Fan Forum Legend

^ The Good Place isn't ending this week.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:01 PM
Master Fan

Oh I thought they got a shortened season. Ok either way I only watch 2 network shows.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1214 (View Post)
Oh I thought they got a shortened season. Ok either way I only watch 2 network shows.
Nah. They got 14 episodes this season. it ends in January I believe. I think the season finale will be 1 hour though which is why they (for the first time) didn't have a 1 hour season premiere even if this is the most episodes that they will get for a season.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Nah, I couldn't just watch streaming shows. I'm lazy and I prefer to just change channels. And I really cannot stand tech that always requires freaking updates.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:09 AM
Master Fan

My phone has way more updates then my streaming services. I can't even remember the last time I updated any of them. Streamings version of channel flipping is scrolling through all the titles and watching trailers of it if you want. I can also go through nostalgia lane now with Disney + and Hulu and watch all the old cartoons I used to get up early on Saturday mornings to watch when I was a kid like Gummy Bears, Doug and Gargoyles. Disney even has the 90's animated X-Men that I loved. Cable and On Demand don't have that.

2 of my streaming shows are starting soon The Man in the High Castle tomorrow and The Crown on Sunday.

Last edited by Coconut1214; 11-14-2019 at 07:28 AM
Old 11-14-2019, 06:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Nah, I don't really need all of that. That's just too much. I'll always prefer DVD and TV, but streaming just seems... overkill? We'll see how it works out. But I do think there's a reason why vinyl records are making a comeback, for example.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:02 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well I have a firetv stick. Totally easy, has all my apps and I use it on my tv.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

See, that to me just seems way too much. Seriously, I just want TV and movies.