Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2019, 07:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Alex coming through with the old school clips.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:15 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Alex loves the 80s
Old 03-06-2019, 04:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Laugh (View Post)
Alex loves the 80s
That I do, Dave. The 80s were awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalfate (View Post)
Alex coming through with the old school clips.
"Old school," Tia? Actually, it was the established norm... until the snowflakes showed up. Ugh...

And since when are the 80s old school? 80s nostalgia is stronger now than it's ever been, and people still listen o 80s music and watch 80s movies and TV shows to this day.

Quote:
Alex.... movies are a great escape for sure... especially vintage 80s movies
"Vintage," Dave? This is Predator, not Citizen Kane. But they are a great escape for sure.

These were manly movies, with manly men doing manly things. We are MEN! This is what men do, go out into the jungle with muscles and machine guns and fight alien monsters.
This is a man thing, man st happening here, and we must be men! Welcome to the 80s!
Old 03-07-2019, 05:42 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I've made a lot of Predator movies since the original one with Arnauld 'the Governator"
I wonder if they will reboot the original or keep making sub-part movies like the one last year
Old 03-07-2019, 12:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I've made a lot of Predator movies since the original one with Arnauld 'the Governator"
I wonder if they will reboot the original or keep making sub-part movies like the one last year
I think they should leave it alone, Dave. The original Predator is still the best. Hollywood has proven that it is incapable of making sequels to these movies without screwing them up. The one and only exception is Aliens, which was the sequel to Alien and the only great sequel ever made. All of the Predator sequels sucked, and so did the Alien v Predator movies.

The irony is that the Dark Horse Comics series, Aliens vs. Predator was actually good, but the movies screwed everything up. The comic series was set in the future in the same universe as the Scott/Cameron Alien and Aliens movies, and in outer space, but for some stupid reason the movies set things in the present day on Earth. Anyone wanna tell me why they did that? This is why Hollywood is stupid. The comics give them a perfect blueprint, yet they always deviate from them believing they can do better... and they can't and never do.

Oh, and did you ever see the original Predator suit design worn by Jean Claude Van Damme before it was scrapped and replaced by the newer Stan Winston design worn by Kevin Peter Hall?
It was god awful. Looked like a giant cockroach.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

agree Alex... glad they didn't use that one

All studieo care about it money...they don't care about the ratings of the movie and if people like it or not
Old 03-07-2019, 01:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Why must the world be ****ed up?

I thought I had a hair appointment today at a certain time, but I've been waiting for 40 minutes.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Mary...that happened to me at the dentist office last year.... 40 plus minute wait
Old 03-07-2019, 04:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥true_crime_beauty64♥ (View Post)
Why must the world be ****ed up?

I thought I had a hair appointment today at a certain time, but I've been waiting for 40 minutes.
I'm sorry, Mary. I can't believe they made you wait that long. I hope you at least got your hair done. They should give you a discount.

I agree with you, Dave.

Oh, and Jean Claude originally didn't even know what he'd be doing on Predator. He thought he was gonna get a chance to show off his martial arts skills, and the filmmakers assumed that the studio had informed him of what his job was going to be... but the studio didn't. When Jean Claude showed up he was upset that he was going to have to wear an alien suit during the entire production. And on his first day of shooting, they were filming the "cloaking device" scenes, where the Predator was invisible and bending light around its body. They made a big red version of the Predator suit for the effect because red was the color that stood out the most against the green jungle environment. Van Damme took one look at the suit and hated it. He said it looked like a superhero suit. No one told him that it was just for the scenes where the Predator was invisible and they had to explain that to him.

Also, if you look at the original design, the head and neck extend upward. Jean Claude's head was actually located at the bottom of the neck, where he had a small hole made that he could see out of. The alien head was actually extending upwards from his body which made it very difficult to move around in. The suit was designed by Richard Edlund, who had worked for George Lucas' Industrial Light & Magic on films like Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of The Jedi, Raiders of The Lost Ark, Poltergeist, Ghostbusters, Big Trouble In Little China, and Die Hard. His version of the Predator was more insect-like, with legs that bent backward, and a long head that looked like a bug or a lobster or something. As you can see, the entire design sucked. Not only that, Jean Claude also had to wear stilts built into the legs of the outfit, while at the same time running around and jumping. Van Damme refused to do one particular stunt saying that he'd break his legs if he did that. They got a stuntman in the suit to do the stunt instead, and sure enough, the stuntman ended up breaking his legs. Van Damme also complained that the suit was hot and uncomfortable, and he could barely breathe in it. They had a tube through the neck that he breathed through.

Well, when the production was halted due to Arnold Schwarzenegger getting married to his wife, Maria Shriver, and other commitments he had, the director, John McTiernan, decided that the suit just wasn't working and Van Damme was released from the movie. McTiernan went looking for another special effects expert to work on the Predator suit, and Rick Baker, who had worked on Star Wars and An American Werewolf In London, offered his services, but McTiernan instead decided to hire Stan Winston, who had just worked on James Cameron's The Terminator and Aliens, and had also worked with Arnold before, obviously. Arnold highly recommended Winston after his work on The Terminator, and Winston began working on new Predator designs. On a airplane flight to Fox Studios, Winston and James Cameron were sitting next to each other during their promotion for Aliens in 1986 and Winston showed Cameron some of the creature designs he had drawn. It was James Cameron himself who suggested several ideas for the design of the Predator, including the Predator's distinctive fish-like mandibles, which Cameron said he had always wanted to see in a movie. as well as the tendrils coming out of the Predator's head, for which Cameron had taking inspiration from Rastafarians in the Caribbean islands who wore dreadlocks.

After the new Predator design was complete they hired actor Kevin Peter Hall(who had just appeared in the 1985 NBC TV show 'Misfits of Science' with Courteney Cox, which was cancelled after one season) to replace Jean Claude Van Damme as the Predator. Kevin Peter Hall was 7'3", so he made a far more imposing villain to go up against Arnold Schwarzenegger than Jean Claude Van Damme, and his height made stilts unnecessary as he could wear the entire suit and move around freely. The only problem was that Kevin couldn't see in the Predator mask. There was really no way to make holes in the mask for him to see out of and have it be convincing, so he had to rehearse each scene he was in without the mask and memorize everything because he had to shoot his scenes literally blindfolded. Arnold noted that it was difficult during their fight scene because Kevin couldn't see him, and when Kevin would have to take a swipe at him and just barely miss him, Arnold instead got a face full of claws. Oh, and Kevin Peter Hall also briefly appears as the helicopter pilot at the end of the movie that arrives to pick up Arnold.

Anyway, if you look closely you can still see some of Jean Claude's Predator cloaked in the early scenes in the film. That's Jean Claude dragging away the body of Hawkins while cloaked, and also standing over Blaine's body right when Mac sees his eyes shine with yellow light. They had to do some careful editing to replace some of the stuff they shot with Van Damme with the stuff they shot with Kevin Peter Hall. When Blaine is attacked, that's actually a spinning bladed weapon he gets hit with at first, because Van Damme's original Predator was supposed to hunt with spears and bladed weapons. They later added in the plasma cannon effect over top of that when Blaine's chest gets blown open. I think you can notice how different the effect is in the scene when Blaine is first hit by... "something," and then is later hit by the plasma burst. That "something" was the bladed weapon that eventually got taken out of the scene and replaced with the plasma burst.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 03-07-2019 at 04:35 PM
Old 03-07-2019, 04:36 PM
Fan Forum Legend

wow Alex...you are a huge Predator fan... did the DVD show the making of it...I love behind the scenes of movies

Rant... too many shows on tonight...some will have to be watched tomorrow
Old 03-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
wow Alex...you are a huge Predator fan... did the DVD show the making of it...I love behind the scenes of movies

Rant... too many shows on tonight...some will have to be watched tomorrow
Yes it did, Dave.

And yes, I was a huge fan of 80s sci-fi, like Predator, Alien, Aliens, Blade Runner, Robocop, The Thing, Escape From New York, The Terminator, and this Sean Connery film called Outland, which I recommend.

Good luck with getting caught up, Dave.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:02 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Rant: I haven't cared for the past 2 Gotham episodes at all...
Old 03-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalfate (View Post)
Rant: I haven't cared for the past 2 Gotham episodes at all...
Me either. They were doing so good up until now and there are only 3 episodes left. I think last weeks was one of the extra ones, maybe this one was too.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:06 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Rant- it's going to be rush ending of Gotham with all the storylines and only 3 epps left...

Alex...I'll read your book-sized post sometime today... make it worth your while and bring it over to Heroes too to see what Lauren and Dragonfire have to say about 80s SyFy….
Old 03-08-2019, 03:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Rant- it's going to be rush ending of Gotham with all the storylines and only 3 epps left...

Alex...I'll read your book-sized post sometime today... make it worth your while and bring it over to Heroes too to see what Lauren and Dragonfire have to say about 80s SyFy….
Okay, Dave. I'll do just that.

Yeah, I don't like that Gotham is being rushed like this.

Rant: Is Marvel Studios mother ing kidding me? I just heard about Captain Marvel and I just... OMG, WTF, Hollywood?

Spoiler:

I've just about had enough of the MCU. This entire thing started off really great in 2008 with Iron Man, but it's descended into s cesspool of insufferable condescension, politically correct messaging, and social programming.

Let's not forget that these movies are being made by Hollywood elitists who know nothing about comic books and have nothing but contempt for comic books and comic book fans. These movies are no longer celebrations of comic book art and fandom, they instead have become Hollywood's judgment and condemnation of both the material and the fans themselves. Hollywood should just stay away from comic books altogether.

Captain Marvel has not only desecrated Mar-Vell's memory and legacy, but also the legacy of one of the greatest comic books of all time:

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 03-08-2019 at 03:17 PM