Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2017, 07:56 PM
Master Fan

The Captains [Rip Hunter & Sara Lance]#1 Because she was the hero of "Phil's" movie

Captain Lance & Currently Evil Captain Hunter
Sara Lance & Rip Hunter
Appreciation Thread

Sara Lance portrayed by Caity Lotz
Rip Hunter portrayed by Arthur Darvil

Last edited by Coconut1214; 03-07-2017 at 08:21 PM
Old 02-25-2017, 08:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for the new thread.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for starting this

Old 02-25-2017, 09:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Whenever Rip returns to normal, can't wait to see how their interaction will be.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:43 PM
Extreme Fan

Thanks for starting the thread! It was strange to me how there wasn't one of the two of them, since they were "pretty tight" like Phil said

The title "Captain Lance & [Currently Evil] Captain Hunter" made me chuckle
Old 02-25-2017, 09:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

^ Yup, but as mentioned, ANYONE can create any thread they don't see. So, in the future, if there is any thread mentioned, someone (anyone) can just create it. Not just the mods.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:05 PM
Extreme Fan

Thanks for starting it. I'm very curious what their interactions will be when they come back.

Like I said in the Rip thread, I kind of get the impression that Rip and Sara is one of the more consistently covered dynamics of the show. Compared to a lot of the other dynamics get like a handful of episodes and then disappear again (Mick/Amaya and Mick/Ray come to mind).

Season one they had the early period where Sara was still angsting about being undead and being a monster and ever since Rip disappeared Sara seems to be the one that mentions him or references him almost every episode.

I think it might be super interesting when he becomes normal again. Maybe this time Rip will be one who is convinced that he's evil and can't be forgiven and Sara has to change his mind. Or maybe they will quarrel about what the best way to Captain is.

I really liked the whole bit with moviemaker!Rip as well. Made you really wonder to know more about what his movie was like and what the hero story of his movie Sara was.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:10 PM
Extreme Fan

I think there are quite a few parallels between Rip and Sara.

- Both have lost people they loved (and tried to bring back but couldn't)
- Both have been lost (one due to being brainwashed, one due to being soul-less)
- Both have (or will) feel guilt for the horrible things they have done
- Both understand the difficulties of being Captain, and having to make the right choice when there seems to be none, like what Jax said

I think they have much to talk about, and as I've said in other threads, I hope the show gives us that.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

There are definitely similarities between them so their scenes are always interesting to watch. I hope the relationship is explored more as the episodes go on. This season or the next.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:30 AM
Extreme Fan

I think Caity once said she sees Rip and Sara more as a brother/sister dynamic. But I think that was more to emphasize that it's not really a romantic relationship. I don't really get the sibling vibe from them, more like comerades in arms/two people who understand each other well because they both have predisposition to be captains. Plus while he was gone, Sara's referencing him gave off more like missing your mentor or something like that.

I remember Sara questioning Rip's decisions a lot in season 1, challenging him. When he comes back (as real Rip) and she is Captain now, it will be interesting to see whether he will do that for her (though it seems to have been more Amaya's job recently) or whether he will be more loyal second in command like. Or like I said, maybe it will be more like early season 1 Sara, trying to keep himself away from the team and angsting and Captain Sara has to draw him out.

Personally I have a really hard time picturing Rip being ready to lead again, I would assume he would feel too guilty over all the things he did as evil!Rip. Then again, Mick was back to business after his Chronos stint way too quickly, with, imo too little impact/difference.

I've seen some shippy videos on them on youtube, because they have had some good scenes (like dancing together while undercover), but at the most I could ever see it being both very onesided and very repressed from Rip's side, because of dead!wife issues and I don't think that Sara would ever have the patience to deal with that.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:13 AM
Extreme Fan

^ Like I said in the Sara/Caity thread, I don't think Caity likes Rip much, and she doesn't seem to see them more than a brother/sister relationship. Like you, I see Rip as a mentor to Sara (and Jax), which is why I think it is very interesting that Rip's return is very much intertwined with Sara and Jax this season.

I definitely feel like S1 Sara calls out Rip a lot, and in return, he's been honest with her. Rip's leadership style in early S1 is very much like that of JSA - mission outcome at all cost. But he's gotten better and has come to care about his team more, and I think a big part was because Sara constantly challenged him on that. Sara tried to lead by the Rip/JSA style this week (partly because I think she's still second guessing herself, e.g. giving up the amulet for Stein, Amaya's comment about her being the reason why the Legends lost so often), but obviously it didn't work for her or the team. I think Sara will continue with her "team over tactics" style, but Rip will make sure that that doesn't lead to giving all the power over to their enemies in terms of rewriting history.

Yeah, Mick recovered from being Chronos very quickly (Sara recovered from her 2-year stint in LoA just as quickly too). So if there is any angst/guilt from Rip, I doubt it'll be more than 1 or 2 scenes.

I've seen some Time Canary videos on YT too. I think the writers have closed the dead wife and kid storyline for Rip, especially with his reset this season. Don't know if the writers will go there, but I don't think the dead wife/kid issue will be too big of a factor in their decision, IMO.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:39 AM
Extreme Fan

I wouldn't translate that as her "not liking him much", just because it's a more contentious/stormy type of relationship. Like I said, she was mentioning him almost constantly while he was gone, talking about him with much admiration and she reacted very happily when the found him again.

Spoiler:

I don't think that Rip is that great/that natural of leader, he was just faking it because he needed support on his illegal mission.

But I do think that he saw real potential in Sara and for that Sara seems very grateful (see her whole "you saved my life" speech to "Phil").

Like I said, to me Rip/Sara is one of the more consistently written dynamics, so I have some hope that they will get at least better than totally awful treatment (aka the standard way LoT of doing character dynamics), as far as addressing continuity is concerned.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:29 AM
Master Fan

While I wasn't much of Rip fan in season one, I did like the dynamics between Sara and Rip. The writers said the Rip originally recruited Sara for her assassin skills, but I think like most people once they get to know her they want to help her and protect her even though she can kill them before they can blink. Sara has that affect on people. I didn't really feel anything romantic between them since Rip was hung up on his wife and kid in the first season.

They had a lot of ups and downs in their relationship, I tried to show that in the gif set. Rip started going to her for advice or at least talking to her about the missions. I think Rip started to see Sara as a fellow solider, someone who's been through battles and survived.

The EP's have also said that Rip wanted Sara to go through Time Master training, (obviously before he found out they were evil) So he saw that she had the potential to be a leader.

Sara's determined to save Rip, because he saved her. Their dynamic should be interesting when he comes back.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:40 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I think these two are in for rocky waters when / if Phils is turned back to normal
Old 02-26-2017, 10:30 AM
Extreme Fan

Yeah so far it really feels like Sara and Jax have had the most emotional reaction to Rip turning evil, so I expect the biggest *bang* or payoff between these three.

My first thought was that maybe later Sara will be captain and Rip will offer to be more supporting/second in command, but I also feel like they have been building up and fleshing out Jax more, so he could be Sara's second in command. So it should all be quite interesting.

By comparison the reaction of the rest of the team (Stein, Mick, Ray) seemed more subdued in regards to them losing Rip.