Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2018, 05:37 AM
Fan Forum Legend

OK...not sure if Tia will watch WW tonight...but I'll be around
Old 07-15-2018, 05:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

SDCC Weekend is coming up starting Thursday! So the usual tradition, this thread now turns to DC/Marvel thread.

I'll have this thread TOPPED from Thursday - Sunday!

This is where we can post trailers, interviews, panels to all the comic related stuff!
Old 07-15-2018, 05:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I heard there's no MCU stuff at this year's Comic Con.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I wonder why Alex.... ? after Ant man..nothing comes out except Ms Marvel?
Old 07-15-2018, 05:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
I heard there's no MCU stuff at this year's Comic Con.
Oh there isn't? I guess I should not have it as the DC/Marvel united than.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:58 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Laugh (View Post)
I wonder why Alex.... ? after Ant man..nothing comes out except Ms Marvel?
Ant-Man & The Wasp dropped off big time. 75%, which is the biggest drop off for the MCU.

It's probably due to the Disney/Fox merger and Avengers 4 being in production.

I read an article in Forbes that finally agrees with me. Marvel made a mistake in using Scott Lang because he's too normal and not interesting as a character. Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne are the ones who have all the history in the Avengers in the comics and they have the most interesting storylines as characters. I really, really hope that whenever they put X-Men and Fantastic Four in the MCU they get rid of Scott and Hope and put Hank and Janet in there like they should've from the beginning. Scott was only supposed to be in Edgar Wright's Ant-Man film, which was a one-shot heist movie that wasn't made for the MCU. I love being proven right.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:58 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I still have to find online coverage for Saturday

oh ok Alex...thanks for the info...yea...they don't want to spoil Avengers Infinity 2
Old 07-15-2018, 06:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

You're welcome, Dave. But I stand by what I said about Ant-Man. I said a long time ago that it was wrong to shoehorn Edgar Wright's Ant-Man into an MCU that it didn't belong in, and it's doubly wrong to push Hank and Janet out of their own storyline to replace them with a boring character like Scott and a non-existent character like Hope.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I still love Paul Rudd as Mike on Friends way more than Ant Man
Old 07-15-2018, 06:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I loved Paul as Mike! Loved Mike and Mike/Phoebe but I also love Paul as Ant-Man.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

He's a good comedic actor. But Marvel Comics isn't a comedy. I really hope that Hank and Janet's legacy hasn't been damaged because of this. If movie audiences get too used to Scott and Hope, what's gonna happen to Hank and Janet? I can't believe that Marvel would never let the two co-founding members of the Avengers be in an Avengers movie.

Who cares, Tia?
Old 07-15-2018, 06:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalfate (View Post)
I loved Paul as Mike! Loved Mike and Mike/Phoebe but I also love Paul as Ant-Man.
what role do you love more for Paul
Old 07-16-2018, 06:22 AM
Master Fan

I'm interested in where they are going with Janet after Avengers 4. She's played by Michelle Pfeifer so that helps. They made her more interesting then Hope and beyond just being The first Wasp. And the De-aging they did on her. Wow. she looked exactly like she did when she was younger. (Not that she doesn't look great now) The MCU has comedy elements that's why it does well with the general audience. No one expected Ant-Man and the Wasp to do better than the other movies, however it increased by 30% from the first one which is the job of a sequel. So it's still a win for Marvel and believe me this is not hurting them in the least bit. Avengers infinity war made them 2 billion dollars.

I don't think Hank and Janet would've made much of a difference, Ant-Man was not a well known character. I think making it a comedy helped it. That's the reason I saw the first one. When they first announced I thought it sounded dumb after the other heroes. The trailer convinced me to give it a chance.

Last edited by Coconut1214; 07-16-2018 at 06:37 AM
Old 07-16-2018, 05:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1214 (View Post)
I don't think Hank and Janet would've made much of a difference, Ant-Man was not a well known character. I think making it a comedy helped it. That's the reason I saw the first one. When they first announced I thought it sounded dumb after the other heroes. The trailer convinced me to give it a chance.
It would've because Hank and Janet are the legacy characters, Melissa. They're the ones who have been in the Avengers for decades. And I really don't want Michelle Pfeiffer as Janet because she's too old for the role. Janet and Hank are not old people and the longer that Michael Douglas and Michelle play them the longer they'll be misrepresented. I mean, Janet was involved with Tony Stark in the comics for Pete's sake. Don't you think audiences are gonna notice when they start Googling stuff about Janet? Whatever happens after Avengers 4, I hope it involves some kind of time space event that makes Hank and Janet young superheroes in the present day because they really need to be in the Avengers movies already. Hank and Janet spent 50 years in the comics earing that right. Scott was dead in the comics until a couple of years ago and Hope doesn't exist in the comics at all, so she's a slap in the face to Janet's legacy.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:30 PM
Master Fan

Only comic fans know that Hank and Janet are legacy characters. The general audience does not. Nor do most of the care to look up the characters afterwards. They just watch the movies and that is it. Comic book readers are in the minority to the general movie going audience.

Ant-man was already a tough sell because of his name. I don't think the MCU would've done as well had they started with him instead of Iron Man. Iron Man was an easier character to sell to the non comic book readers. I think having Michael Douglas and Michele Pfeiffer playing legacy characters works because they are legendary actors.

That's why DC is struggling the general audience does not know those characters well enough to not have a back story. When I went with a friend to Justice League she kept asking me all these questions because she didn't understand who the villain was, why she should care and what was happening. After the movie she said she shouldn't have to read the comics to know what was going on. That's why she likes the MCU, you don't need comic knowledge they made their own universe separate from the comics.