Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2020, 08:37 AM
Extreme Fan

I have been reading through smallville tropes (enjoyable) and I came across this which is relevant to this discussion (which is exactly what you are explaining to me):

A meta example. In the early seasons, the writers used Chloe as an Expy for Lois Lane. However, it was apparently a little too effective, and once the real Lois was introduced in Season 4, there was a very vocal faction known as the "Chlois Theorists" who refused to accept Erica Durance's Lois as the real thing and clung to the idea that Chloe would inevitably turn out to be the "real" Lois. The producers, the writers and even Allison Mack herself repeatedly stated that the Chlois Theory was never going to happen, but the Chlois Theorists adopted the attitude that the showrunners were simply "hiding the truth," as if this were some grand conspiracy and insisted that, by the time Smallville ended, the theory would come true (Super Secret Spoiler: It didn't). Eventually, though, the exasperated writers decided to make a joke out of it and spoof the idea in Season 8's "Hex," via a magical spell by Zatanna (everything goes back to normal by the end). The episode's ending even has Chloe pointedly note "I will never be Lois Lane" as she fully embraces her new role as Watchtower.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...SmallvilleHigh
activia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:07 AM
Extreme Fan

While Chloe was a Lois Lane stand in from S1-S3, I rejected the idea of her somehow becoming LL. I wanted "real" Lois Lane and was thrilled Erica came onto to the show and could never accept anything less.

My first time watching this show, I struggled with a lot of things/creative choices and such. I only watched as long as I did because I was a Superman fan and wanted to love the show and while I liked TW, I wasn't enthralled much so it wasn't difficult to cut ties with the show for over a decade. I loved Oliver and Michael actually made me care about Lex (up to a point - I mean he's THE arch nemesis for Superman, eventually I'd dread watching his scenes no matter how brilliantly played by MR). Clois are the reason I got back into it, Tom and Erica sold me this show this time around, they had a great rapport as either rivals or friends and eventually as lovers. The comedic timing in this episode was top notch. It reminds me of the first half of Persuasion (the funny bits) where Lois isn't acting herself, just like Clark in Hex. It's almost the reverse "Lois" was playing against a hexed Clark and in Persuasion Clark is playing against a hexed Lois and both are trying to get the other to snap out of it.
rpmaluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:24 AM
Extreme Fan

I never thought Chloe was going to be LL. I wasn't a big superman fan but I knew the basic mythology. I didn't even know Lana was comic Canon. I believe I briefly watched the show when it originally aired because I remember having these thoughts...why is he obsessed with Lana instead of Lois why is Lex his friend and he doesn't fly...is this really superman or just some WB teeny Bop show? I honestly don't remember what if any episode I watched and wonder if I only saw promos and heard about it in passing. Obviously I didn't give the show a chance. Although back then I didn't know I was a sci fi fan because when I was young my dad made me watch star trek with him and I didn't like the show. I originally even rejected Stargate after only seeing an episode or two ..then years later came across it again and became obsessed and bought the entire box series. Then vampire diaries gave me another in to the fantasy genre..and I gave flash an honest shot and loved it. Due to the crossovers I decided to give the rest of the arrowverse a shot but only really ended up liking arrow. While I was watching reactors to Flash they mentioned smallville during the elsworlds crossover as they went to the farm location and again when TW made an appearance on COIE ..the look on the reactors face ..his eyes lit up like you wouldn't believe so I decided I would have to watch it one day.....and well here we are.

I figured that Lex would turn evil and Chloe and Lana were just earlier characters then the mythos I knew. As soon as Lois showed up I knew Clana wasn't going to be end game....I think I remembered COIE to the point where they would be together but not sure if I really put that much thought into it as a binge watched the show at an alarming pace. I legit finished the first half of the show in less than a week. I did spoil myself on what season they found out his secret cause it was so frustrating.....but I didn't know how or exactly when.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

^ People just believed in the Chloe will turn out to be Lois Lane theory because of her background... it screamed Lois Lane! and of course at the time Chloe was the only character on the show who wasn't from the comics so it made people question what was her future purpose and her being a reporter and then wanting to be in the Daily Planet screamed Lois Lane. lol

Also about your whole post, I am happy that after all the years of rejecting Smallville that you gave it a try and it really became one of your favorite series because of it.
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:12 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalfate (View Post)
^ People just believed in the Chloe will turn out to be Lois Lane theory because of her background... it screamed Lois Lane! and of course at the time Chloe was the only character on the show who wasn't from the comics so it made people question what was her future purpose and her being a reporter and then wanting to be in the Daily Planet screamed Lois Lane. lol

Also about your whole post, I am happy that after all the years of rejecting Smallville that you gave it a try and it really became one of your favorite series because of it.
But then why would they name her Chloe instead of just calling her Lois Lane??? They didnt do that with any other characters. So yeah I had no idea Pete Ross was part of the mythos either so easier for me to accept there being other characters I guess.

of course I'm thrilled too! My dad is going to watch SV with me . He's not a shipper but he loves Sci-Fi/Super hero shows. If you haven't watched Stargate SG1/Atlantis I recommend :p
Old 10-22-2020, 04:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Tom was supposed to wear glasses in this one, but they cut it out.
TomsEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:47 PM
Elite Fan

Too bad. It would have fit great with his mild mannered reporter persona.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:26 AM
Extreme Fan

He should have been by this point especially when he was working at DP. I think it would have been funnier with him with glasses too
Old 10-23-2020, 07:05 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by activia (View Post)
But then why would they name her Chloe instead of just calling her Lois Lane??? They didnt do that with any other characters. So yeah I had no idea Pete Ross was part of the mythos either so easier for me to accept there being other characters I guess.

of course I'm thrilled too! My dad is going to watch SV with me . He's not a shipper but he loves Sci-Fi/Super hero shows. If you haven't watched Stargate SG1/Atlantis I recommend :p

They thought it was a cover and she changes her name as an adult.
Everything about Chloe's background screamed Lois.
To me, Chloe never looked anything like a Lois. But I can see personality and background wise why people would believe that.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009 (View Post)
Too bad. It would have fit great with his mild mannered reporter persona.
It definitely would have!
Old 10-24-2020, 09:32 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Too bad we didn't get that.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:05 PM
Extreme Fan

I can see where people thought that until Lois showed up.. also for all those Clark shippers... with fever..I can see them wanting her to be Lois
Old 10-25-2020, 01:42 PM
Elite Fan

Well, frankly I found their behaviour towards Erica or anyone who supported her disgusting. They would attack anybody who didn’t agree with them. They were the worst thing about being in the fandom. And they deserved to be taken down a peg.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalfate (View Post)
Too bad we didn't get that.
Yeah. It surprisingly still hurts.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

i just re-watched this episode for the 1000th time. I love this episode so much, I can still recite some scenes off by heart, even when it's been a while. It's so much fun and there's so many funny lines.

Erica did a great job being Chloe in Lois's body. I loved the scene at the Daily Planet roof, trying to prove to Clark about his powers. I was literally mouthing it word for word. Zatanna was a lot of fun, and I liked that she did the right thing in the end. I like how Chloe finally realises that has to look to her future and not dwell in the past and what could have been by also believing in Clark and how that broke the wish.

I never thought that Chloe would end up becoming Lois. I can get why some people had that theory back in the day, but whilst Chloe had some Lois-esque traits, i.e. being an aspiring reporter, it honestly just wouldn't make sense that she would then change her name once she grew up and started working at the Planet. And whilst Smallville still introduced Lois to Clark's life earlier than most versions, it made much more sense than just turning Chloe into Lois. Chloe was her own unique character for the show and I actually like how realistic her story was. It showed how life never turns out how you expected it to. Chloe always dreamed of being a reporter at the Daily Planet and whilst she got and achieved that dream, sadly, her circumstances changed and she had to leave that life behind. You never know what life can throw at you just around the next corner, and like how Chloe realised by the end of the episode, you have to accept yourself for who and what you are now and not who you were and what you wanted to do before.
Reply   Post New Thread