Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Elite Fan

Smallville 7x03 "Fierce" Episode Discussion

"Fierce" Airs October 11, 2007 on The CW

The CW's Official Description:
AMERICA’S NEXT TOP MODEL WINNER EVA MARCILLE GUEST STARS — Kara (Laura Vandervoort) desperately wants to make friends and fit in on Earth, but Clark (Tom Welling) tells her to keep a low profile until she can get her powers under control. Despite his warnings, when the “Miss Sweet Corn” beauty pageant comes around, Kara signs up and meets the competition – Tyler (Eva Marcille), Carly (Elisa King) and Tempest (Christine Chatelain) – three meteor-infected vixens who plan to use their powers to steal a treasure map to the hidden Smallville time capsule.

After Tyler witnesses Kara using her powers, the girls pretend to be her friends, but are really planning to use her for their devious plan.

Kristin Kreuk, Michael Rosenbaum, Allison Mack, Aaron Ashmore and John Glover also star.
Whitney Ransick directed the pilot written by Holly Harold (#3T6303).

As usual, no spoilers please.

Discuss!
Old 10-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Elite Fan

I find it kind of amusing Smallville is now tackling a Beauty Pagent in it's 7th season. But, it sounds like a great episode! Kara is definetly a highlight for this season.

kenny | credit
smoothaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Extreme Fan

i just watched the episode, so i'll put my comments in a spoiler warning for those who haven't watched it.

i was hoping lana wasn't going to come back so soon, already tired of her and clark geting back together then breaking up. also most of her scenes with clark were really cheesy, though i did like the one scene with kara. and her knowing clarks secret is taking away from the one really good storyline involving Chloe. it seems like they keep taking everything away from Chloe, first giving lois the reporting job (even though she has it eventually) and now her sidekick role.

over all the episode was okay, but it didn't really explain what happened to those girls, did they get away with it. also their motive was kind of weak.

one of the best scenes in the episode had to be the end with lex and kara. i loved how she was acting like clark and lex was like "i will find out the truth" when he still hasn't proven how clark pulled him out.

Next week looks good, at least it seems to be a chloe episode, but then again it could not really be.

Last edited by blue4815162342; 10-11-2007 at 07:42 PM
blue4815162342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Part-Time Fan

I guess we're not allowed to say anything yet! When can we comment?
Barb B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Elite Fan

You can comment already.

Only it would be nice to use spoiler tags on other threads, because it still hasn't aired on west-coast.
[*sp]text[*/sp] without *
Old 10-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Part-Time Fan

LANA'S BACK - LANA'S BACK!!!

Last edited by Barb B; 10-12-2007 at 09:15 PM Reason: took off tag
Old 10-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Elite Fan

So, what did everyone think?

I know this episode had me rolling my eyes and also saying great job smallville all at the same time (not an usual occurance for us smallville fans).

OK, The Good: Having Laura Vandervoort on the show as Kara Zor-El (thank you Al and Miles for doing this!) has really brought this exciting new character to Smallville. It's good for Clark to have a family member there and to see him play the "older brother" role of watching over Kara. The scenes with Tom and Laura are a lot of fun to watch...I mean it's Superman and Supergirl (sort of...) so what more do comic book fans like me need, right? Getting Laura a job at the Talon will no doubt provide us with some comedy and light hearted scenes, and after last year, I feel that SV needs a little of that right now. It is also an excellent twist that Lex will now be most interested in Kara, and not Clark. That scene was one of the good scenes in the episode tonight...with Lex and Kara. Their first scene where they had speaking parts anyways. Here is the time to point out that Michael Rosenbaum is really embracing this "new version" of Lex so far. He is making him believable and actually really likeable. However, now is not the time to go there, it's actually SV's fault for making Lex more likeable than Clark at given times of the show.

Aaron Ashmore is back! Really happy to see him and to have him on the show as Jimmy, how awesome is he? He brings the story to Chloe, gets right in the middle of it, and then helps her get it published For some reason, Jimmy and Chloe are really cute together, they just make you believe they actually want to hang out together, angst free, unlike another SV couple

Is it me, or is Chloster a good nickname? At first I thought it was kind of mean, but now it's growing on me. It definitely makes Chloe look tough, not that she needs it or anything, but still.

So Panda Boy and Chloster...leave it to the new editor guy.

Oh, and why is Lois in NYC covering a story, she just started working at the low level reporter job? This makes no sense (maybe I should have filed this under the not so good categories, but I thought about it just now)

The Government agent and Lex...I actually like this whole plot. We will find out who is really running the show eventually, but I liked Lex turning over his research and they both revealed their cards about Kara's ship. Except Lex doesn't know it's destroyed, leaving the crystal and nothing else. I just wonder how will Lex get his hands on that eventually! Maybe with Kara's help

Before I forget...loved the line at the end with Lex and Kara.

Are you an angel or a warning

Wonder how they are going to play out the kryptonian symbol that they found, but I can't wait to find out. Get on with the mythology!

The Bad:

First, let me say...that I didn't really have a problem with Clark and Lana b/c we know that they were going to go there, again...but just that scene at the corn festival...and Lana's speech about "growing old together"...I guess you can say "corn" for "corny" Why can't they be a just like any other couple, like Chloe and Jimmy. Clark and Lana are still angst, heavy scenes filled with cliche dialogue like that one used in tonight's episode.

We find out Lex got Lana cleared of all charges (that was kind of quick) and that she got 10million dollars from him! I guess she had to figure out a way to support herself So Lana is staying with Clark. It's Clark, Lana and Kara at the Kent house. All we need is Lois moving back in, and Clark's life will never be the same, ever again!

The Ugly: This whole ridiculous plot with the beauty queens and the "lost treasure map" was...how shall we say, for 12 year olds! Can you say cheese, and maybe that's why parts of this episode felt like they stunk all together...it was smelly cheese!

Totally Shallow Comment Area: Yes, how incredibly hot is Laura Vandervoort in her, under "garments". Between her and Erica, I want to move to Canada!

Overall 2 out of 5. (note that you get a star for having Laura in the episode to begin with!)

Alex

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike it up (View Post)
You can comment already.

Only it would be nice to use spoiler tags on other threads, because it still hasn't aired on west-coast.
[*sp]text[*/sp] without *

really k
Old 10-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Elite Fan

Yes, the rule about that is you can post your reviews as soon as the show airs on the east coast here in the US You do not need to use spoiler tags from that point on.

Alex

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Addicted Fan

Kara in a bikini! XD
I envy that watermelon. she made it explode and release its inner juices.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Part-Time Fan

Hay! We deserve equal time - when is Clark gonna be in a tiny bathing suit??????
Old 10-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Elite Fan

Here is my TWO CENT'S....

Lana coming back so soon. I hate it. Not cause I don't like her, but because it seemed forced and not well written. Clark's reaction wasn't what I expected. I expected more of an emotional feeling. The love of your life, walks back into your life, from the dead and you just look at her, then hug her? I was more then disappointed. Then out of nowhere KARA, who dsoen't know who the hell Lana is, uses her powers, right in front of her. I mean, correct me if I am wrong, I don't remember Lana, or Chloe ever SPECIFCALLY telling Clark, that she knew about his powers. I cold be wrong, but I remeber him trying to tell her and her stopping him dead in his tracks and walking away before he ever got out, that he was an alien. Now all of a sudden, she rises from the dead and they are talking about Krypton and Kara is revealing her power's in front of a complete stranger? Does anyone else see anything wrong with this picture?

I am so GLAD Lois was not in this episode I would have preferred no KARA as well, but I just knew I couldn't get that lucky. I knew she and Jimmy would eventually lock eyes, bcause Laura blurtted it out in an interview about 4 month's ago, that she and Jimmy would have moment's so we could expect that, so I saw that one coming. What I didn't see was the smile from Chloe face.

Chloe, losing her sidekick position, has to share her newspaper position and catch's her boyfriend eyeballing another blonde. Why am I not surprised? She is probably one of the most dumped on TV character's ever, beside's Jen Lindley (Michelle Williams) from Dawson's Creek.

Kara winning miss Sweet Corn, what a JOKE. Smallville has turned from interesting, to almost stupid.

Lex's scene's has even fallen flat. He is no longer the bad boy, I LOVE to hate, I just find myself hating him.

Not much Gabriel, although I would have preferred more of him..

So overall. Lana and Clark need to either get it together, or move on. Chloe needs to break out of everyone's shadow and fly solo, if they are going to continue to run over her a bit. I'd also stick it to Lana, who decided not to tell her bestfriend she was alive, because she was in hiding, yet goes to a public fair with Clark? EYE - YI - YI it will never end with Lana always over shadowing Chloe.

Kara needs to fly home and Lois needs to stay gone.
"pacey I love you, you know that and it's very real." ~ Joey to Pacey 6x24 (dawson's creek)
***BLONDIE*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:45 AM
Extreme Fan

i think he did tell lana what he was, but instead of responding she just kissed him before he could say anymore.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:12 AM
Elite Fan

Well this was an extremely bad/boring episode.

Dear Smallville writers,
if you have too many stories to tell it would be wise to spread it through out few episodes, and not squeeze it all in just one, making it one big mess.
And for the second time this season. We're only on third episode people. Snap out of it. Get a script editor, or something!

no love,
- annoyed viewer who has to suffer through it

Seriously, they had too much going on. Clark teaching Kara how to fit in and control her abilities, Lana coming back, Lexana scene and Lex making it possible for Lana to have her name cleared and reappear in SV, Sweet Corn Pageant, meteor freaks of the week, lame treasure map, possible another Kryptonian on Earth revealed, Jimmy coming back, Jimmy getting hurt, new love triangle getting set, Lex playing everyone left and right, Clana starting yet again with doom written all over them, Lex confronting Kara about knowing the truth. Oi!!

And some of the dialogue, way too cheesy and bad.
Lex was drowning in evil of his ways (or something like that)? *gag*
Clana growing old together? *moves just in time for the falling anvil (after Kara's comment earlier in the episode)*

Why is Jimmy making googly eyes at Kara with Chloe there?
Why are Clark and Lana both pretending (?) to be morons with "you didn't trust me" "I couldn't tell you, because Lionel threatened to hurt you" when they both know Lionel was trying to protect him?
Why is Lois in New York, and about to get a story on Rwanda? Didn't she just get the job?
Why isn't Chloe more interested in a dead SV chick story, not only is it exactly the type of story Grant expressed interest in the week before, but it's also probably a murder.
What did Kryptonians want with so much gold?
What the hell are they doing with Chloe? Now Jimmy is anti-meteor freaks and getting the hots for another girl? Enough! Let the girl keep something.
Why is Lana OK with Lex taking care of it [clearing her name]? I take it he blackmailed someone, or paid someone off to do it, at least that's how it sounded. Please just skip the whole holier than thou attitude if you're encouraging him to do it!
How about telling Chloe that she's alive and back before going out and letting poor girl possibly see her on the street? WTH?
You can destroy green kryptonite with heat vision so easily? Why didn't Clark think of that in the last six seasons? X-ray, find; heat vision, destroy = safe environment. Right?

And was there a bunch of stuff that was cut? Like Kara in the talent show - we had promo pictures of that. And wasn't there another Clana hug in the trailer?

Loved:
- Clark teaching Kara about heat vision. Great scene! Smilie melon FTW!
- Both of them wearing flannel. I was amused. (As long as it doesn't become tradition.)
- Lex visiting Lana at the Kent farm and pretending to chitchat only to ask the real question when he was leaving!
- Panda boy!
- Bikini! What? If the episode sucks, I want to at least enjoy the eye candy.
- Song in the last scene. Gained The World by Morcheeba, right?
- Last scene. Best part of the episode. Lex in all his glory. He spelled out that he knows the truth, not only about Kara but about Clark too. And there were so many Clex undertones there, especially with him pointing out that he would have protected anyone if only they trusted him. But then switching to threatening tone - are you a savior or a warning.

That last scene saved the episode a bit. But seriously, lets hope the quality will only get better after this.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:53 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4815162342 (View Post)
i was hoping lana wasn't going to come back so soon, already tired of her and clark geting back together then breaking up. also most of her scenes with clark were really cheesy, though i did like the one scene with kara.
Agreed.
First - it was anticlimactic. She just showed up.
Second - no big emotions really. There was more joy when Clark saw Lex alive and back in season 3.
Third, they are starting the relationship all over again and are already making it obvious that it won't work. That growing old argument that Kara made couldn't have been more obvious.
And forth, Clark's secret being in the open doesn't change anything apparently. Lana is still keeping things to herself, and they are both ignoring everything that happened before ("lets forget the past"). You can not build a relationship on already shaky foundation.

The scene with Kara was priceless.
"Well that's a bit of an understatement."
Quote:
over all the episode was okay, but it didn't really explain what happened to those girls, did they get away with it. also their motive was kind of weak.
Just one of the things that made no sense or they didn't explain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider (View Post)
Aaron Ashmore is back! Really happy to see him and to have him on the show as Jimmy, how awesome is he? He brings the story to Chloe, gets right in the middle of it, and then helps her get it published ,
It's so good to have him back!
And he was all over that story.
But I'm so annoyed with where it looks the whole thing is headed. Just what we needed - another love triangle.
Quote:
The Government agent and Lex...I actually like this whole plot. We will find out who is really running the show eventually, but I liked Lex turning over his research and they both revealed their cards about Kara's ship.
I like how Lex turned them over his research. Best way to distract someone (get them of Kara's trail) is to use the truth. Masterfully played. Especially with hiding the real truth and more exciting story as a religious experience.
Quote:
Clark and Lana are still angst, heavy scenes filled with cliche dialogue like that one used in tonight's episode.
I know. *le sigh*
And seriously, who starts a relationship talk in the middle of the crowded street?!
Quote:
The Ugly: This whole ridiculous plot with the beauty queens and the "lost treasure map" was...how shall we say, for 12 year olds! Can you say cheese, and maybe that's why parts of this episode felt like they stunk all together...it was smelly cheese!
It was terrible!!
I saw someone on LJ suggest that it might have been a mockery of season 4 and witches storyline? I could live with that explanation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediBlastoise (View Post)
Kara in a bikini! XD
I envy that watermelon. she made it explode and release its inner juices.

They weren't even trying to be subtle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb B (View Post)
Hay! We deserve equal time - when is Clark gonna be in a tiny bathing suit??????
Hee!
Well we did see him with even less on, or nothing to be correct, on several occasions already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***BLONDIE*** (View Post)
Then out of nowhere KARA, who dsoen't know who the hell Lana is, uses her powers, right in front of her. I mean, correct me if I am wrong, I don't remember Lana, or Chloe ever SPECIFCALLY telling Clark, that she knew about his powers. I cold be wrong, but I remeber him trying to tell her and her stopping him dead in his tracks and walking away before he ever got out, that he was an alien. Now all of a sudden, she rises from the dead and they are talking about Krypton and Kara is revealing her power's in front of a complete stranger? Does anyone else see anything wrong with this picture?
Well that's the main problem with Kara now, she has to learn that she can't use her powers for everyone to see, and learn who to trust.
As for Lana, Clark told her the truth in season 6 finale, and used superspeed in front of her, so it's nothing new for her.
Quote:
Kara winning miss Sweet Corn, what a JOKE. Smallville has turned from interesting, to almost stupid.
I thought she was the hottest girl in the pageant.