Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Elite Fan

General Season 3 Discussion #1

I was wondering if it was ok to start a thread like this.

I have been watching my S3 DVD's, and enjoying every minute of it. I figured with this season being the one with alot of interweaving plot lines, less FOTW, and solid character archs, that it deserves to be open up to discussion.

I am watching "Talisman" right now ... but just finished "Memoria" which was an amazing episode that I had never seen before. The final scene with Lex/Lionel - there was just so much emotion ... and seeing a glimpse at Clark's earliest memory ... Lara. It was a solid episode.

kenny | credit
smoothaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:25 PM
Supreme Fan

I had just went through all three seasons with my DVD sets. Everything was great. For Memoria - that was a really neat episode. I'm sad they killed off Martin's character though. Talisman - I didn't like it too much, but the way Lex started acting like Lionel was interesting. The season finale was incredible.
"Clark, I know you can run faster than a speeding bullet. Take me along for the ride."
xextremex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Dedicated Fan

God, I love S3. Not all of it - it had a few clunkers and a few "What the?" moments/episodes, but god I thought it was the most solid season (after S1 who managed to have full arcs without pushing them as "hey, we have arcs!").

Memoria is a gem. It really is. Potiental from Lineage and Pilot and Stray and even Prodigal was finally realized. I really wish we'd have more of the flash back type episodes to see the cast (even if it's not limited to Clark and Lex) as children. It really rehumanizes the entire story and reinforces that SV is a prequel and that it's the hows and why that shape 'destiny' - not just a name.

I also love Delete while we're talking of later half epside - the cinematrography of that episode is beautiful from the colors, to the shots, to the compositions; the contrasts between Smallville and Metropolis aethetically and the way different people go about offing her (Lana and Martha seemed pretty brutal - not that a car crash isn't, but the hacking, gah!) and the horror!cliche of killer mail cracks me up every single time - plus it's also a great character piece for Clark and Lex.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I've been watching my DVD for that season and the beginning of the season is so strong. Exile and Phoenix are both terrific. And I love Extinction maintaning a sense of continuity (ditto Asylum). The continuing Luther arc is wonderful. Plus season 3 did have Lex interacting with the regular cast, not guest stars so much, and making various shippers happy. I liked them giving Chloe that terrific arc with the Luther's, redemning what they did to her in season 2.

From what I remember some of the middle episodes aren't as strong though (I rewatched up to Asylum so far).

Extinction kept some continuity with Clark coming back to work on the paper (sweet scene). And the joking about everyone stalking Lana, and her having her own stalker website heh. Chloe's moment of guilt and realising the power the press had was also good.

And I loved Perry! Perry could have become very annoying, so I'm pleased that we see character progression in just the one episode, and it leaves us wanting more. I loved the ending, and hope he makes a return appearance. I also love Clark's adjusting to his new powers (tractor moment!) And the hints that Lex has been left slightly unbalanced from his time on the island. Continuity again, just compare that to Bound with Lex's sex life coming out of nowhere

Ooh and I noticed both Slumber and Perry had the guest stars mistaking Lana for Clark's gf, already letting the audience know the writers weren't ready to let go of the clana like I had hoped after Phoenix. I think the Clana is the big drawback for season 3, because the writers didn't know what to do with Lana's character and should have thought something up sonner. Letting Clana drift on all season, when they themselves were tired of it, wasn't the smartest decision.

And I actually liked Relic, even if most people seem to hate it *g* I always love flashes back to the past, TW looked so good! It was something different anyway, and loved the ending with Clark catching the mayor out by convincing him he was Jor-El's ghost. And tying in to the Kent's with them having been chosen for Clark's parents.

I'd forgotten how bad Magentic was, mind you

And well Shattered and Asylum are about as good as Smallville ever got
Old 06-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Elite Fan

Today I am going to watch "Forsaken" and "Covenant" ... I wasn't a fan of "Talisman". It was very worthy.

kenny | credit
Old 06-26-2005, 08:37 PM
Elite Fan

Just moving this thread back up.

To get this thread movin' ...

Favorite Episode ... Least Favorite Episode, Why?

kenny | credit
Old 06-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Favourite is Shattered/Asylum/Memoria. I like dark depressing episodes like that

Magnetic is my least favourite I think, because it was just bad
Old 06-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Elite Fan

Favorite: A tie between "Exile" and "Shattered". I felt "Exile" was a very strong premiere episode, but "Shattered" had some amazing moments and acting from Micheal Rosenbaum. The ending was heartbreaking.

Least Favorite: Very easy ... "Talisman". I couldn't get into the entire episode ... it was dullsville. Cept finding out that Pete might leave Smallville, there wasn't much to it.

"Magnetic" was another BAD episode, too.

kenny | credit
Old 04-16-2006, 01:16 PM
Elite Fan

Bringing survived thread to front page.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Just wanted to comment that I really loved "Delete" during season 3.

I have to confess that I wasn't too keep on the eternal Clana dragging dyuring this third season, but overall I still really enjoyed it. And episodes like "Delete" remain a favorite from that season.

DanceWithLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Exile was great
Old 09-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow it's kind of awkward reading back your comments from 7 years ago And season 3 is still one my my favourite seasons (tied with 5 and 8). It felt like the first time the show really reached its potential after a rocky first season and an IMO overrated second season, that season 3 was the first really excellent season that SV produced. I loved the darker tone they went for in season 3 and all of the focus on Lex and Lionel, season 4 felt all over the place for their characters in comparison
Old 09-23-2012, 04:10 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by antisocial (View Post)
I loved the darker tone they went for in season 3 and all of the focus on Lex and Lionel, season 4 felt all over the place for their characters in comparison
It did and yet I probably like season 4 as much as I like season 3. (Both of them are in my top 5) Especially because they contrasted each other very well. Like you said, season 3 was quite dark at times with the Luthors being in the focus a bit more, Clark embracing his dark!side for a while, etc. So, I think it was nice when they decides to have more comedy and lighthearted episodes in season 4.
I think what kept the show interesting is that they managed to switch between those different tones so well.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:14 AM
New Fan

I just finished watching season 3 for the first time . I liked it but I'm not sure if I liked it as much as the first two seasons. In a way I think it's a better season, quality of episodes wise. Yet I think I still enjoyed seasons 1 and 2 more.

The best and most coherent arc was probably the tussle between Lex and Lionel. Absolutely fascinating, these two. Lex is still so intriguing to me. On the one hand he's a genuinely sympathetic character when you see Lionel's influence and then on the other hand you can see his darker nature creeping into things regarding Clark's secret. I think the potential for his darkness is best explained in Talisman when he suggests to Clark that maybe Seegeth is the hero of the story. Someone with a potential for darkness who is convinced they are in the right can sometimes be the most dangerous kind. I'm really feeling the loss of his and Clark's friendship already

Sad to see Pete go, but perhaps there was nowhere to take the character? It was a great season for Chloe. I really liked that her and Clark talked through their issues, recognized that they existed and then came to an agreement that they still want to be friends. I like this Chloe and I like this version of friendship between Clark and Chloe.

I don't know what to say about Clark and Lana. I think I give up. Lana seemed too obsessed with constantly trying to pry Clark's secret out. And Clark also just needs to get over himself and tell Lana if he really loves her. But I think whatever it is, it needs to stop now, because I agree with Pete, it's such a yo-yo. I guess Lana going to Paris is a way for them to ease Lana off the show.

I loved this scene from Talisman when the Kents are sitting there cradling Clark and he's all wrapped up in the red blanket. Reminder that no matter how big and strong or alien Clark is, for them, he's still their boy and they love him.
I'm really enjoying the show on the whole. So glad I gave this a go!
farrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:57 AM
Fan Forum Legend

So general season threads aren't forgotten about not sure if they are listed or not in the board guide
crash landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread