Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2004, 12:14 AM
Absolute Fan

Smallville 4x10 "Scare" Episode Discussion

4x10 - "Scare"
Lex's secret experiment at LuthorCorp goes awry and causes a dangerous toxin to be released into Smallville. Those infected by the toxin, including Clark, Lana, Chloe, Lex, and Jason, imagine their greatest fears come true and then fall into a coma. Desperate to find a cure, Clark heats up the vials containing a cure while Lex is not looking. With the cure heated to the correct temperature, Lex does something unexpected with the unproven antidote.

  

Last edited by eternalfate; 11-21-2016 at 11:26 PM
Candygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:52 AM
Part-Time Fan

Hmmm...

I like the Luthor parts of every episode...I'm finding it hard liking much of anything else anymore. I guess this episode was alright, but they better develop a damn storyarc soon.

Dr. Bashir:
"...a doctor."
Dark omega zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:55 AM
Obsessed Fan

I usually don't post here, but I've been a closet Smallville fan since season two, more or less.

Tonight's "Outbreak" episode was pretty good...

If not cliched in a couple of aspects, namely the fears that are most common for characters to have (fear of abandonment; skeletons in the closet; etc.).

What I thought was really telling was Lex's nightmare/vision of him being President and (possibly) starting a nuclear holocaust.

It was very chilling how they used the "Terminator 3" footage and intercut it with Lex in the Oval Office.

He had a devilish smirk on his face... Even amid the piles of ashen bodies... And it wasn't as if he was scared, but glad he had done what he did. This definitely does not bode well considering that in the original "Superman" movie, Lex Luther (Gene Hackman) used a nuclear device to sever California from the rest of the United States.

I wonder if the link was intentional, or just something that can be read-into?
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:58 AM
Absolute Fan

-I missed the teaser, anybody want to fill me in?

-Clark and Chloe investigating!!! Sigh, I love it. I love that Chloe will forever be her snoopy self, especially when she thinks she can help. Did you see how impressed Clark was when she used her [dad's] card to get in? No offense to the SV Lois fans, but Chloe will forever be what Lois should be to me.

-You know, Lana really loves Jason. I like that. Wanting to do something to help rather than sit around and cry? Yay for S4 Lana. Dude, her greatest fear didn't even include Clark?? WOOT! Yay to no more Clana. Also, yay to Chloe being after her parents. Awwww, Lana, I do so very much like you this season.

-Chloe's fear is interesting and sceeeeeery. Creepy Chloe is going to give me nightmares.

-I miss the MB. He's not fun as a nice guy.

-Dude, Clark's fear is that Lana will kill him. Heh. That's kinda funny, actually.

-Lex's fear!! Continuity from S1! And it wasn't him marrying Lana!! Stupid Spoilers!

-Lionel in all white, after Lex's vision? Prophetic much?

ACK! EEK! COME BACK ON, RIGHT NOW! You guys can't leave me hanging like that!

Wow, that last scene brings up so many things:

-Since when was MamaChloe MIA? In Lineage Chloe said she knew where her mother was, but that she wanted nothing to do with her. Did she get lost after that?

-Writers, if you let my Chloe, the girl who has been through so much, leave the show by going crazy, I'll hunt you down. I'm so freaking serious. She's had nothing but pain and heartache since the start, and now you're going to doom her to spend the rest of her life in an institution? My god, how cruel can you people be?

-Chloe is right. Please Clark, just tell her. She'd be able to help you. You want to tell someone so bad? Tell your best friend.

-A Chlark ending scene? Gasp, what a rare and special thing. Yay tptb! Let me just remind you though: no Chloe going crazy, or you face my wrath.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:01 AM
Ultimate Fan

THE CLARK

- Well...he was hot. Very very VERY hot.
- Willing to give up his seeeecret to save those he loves...my kinda guy.

THE CHLOE

- Well...she was hot too. Very very VERY hot.
- And I love her
- And her nightmare was cree-pay -- my Lord! Bad images.

THE CHLARK

- It was so on fire! If Lana had gotten sick first, there would've been even more scenes with them.
- I love how he instantly wanted to touch her to comfort her -- wake up and smell the sexual tension, Farm Boy. You know you can't resist for long.
- HOW CAN YOU LEAVE IT THERE, PTB??? OH he's so gonna tell her...he has to!

EVERYTHING ELSE

- Aww...Teague, baby, don't leave me!
- I'm surprised Lana's nightmare wasn't about people keeping seeeeee-crets from her...ugh, she was so easy to hate in this episode.
- I wanna know who got Lionel out! Evil cliffhanger!

All in all, 9/10. Very nice work, SV execs.

Janine || [ @FF.net ] [ @AO3.org ] [ @WP.com ]
sumiregusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:04 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by UnsilentMajorty
I wonder if the link was intentional, or just something that can be read-into?
It was actually a continuation, or repeat of a "vision" shown in a season one episode, Hourglass. In the episode, a woman can see the future. Just before she dies, she touches Lex and sees his. The vision included much of the scenes from tonight, but it ended with Lex being covered with blood that was raining down on him. He also had a black glove on in the vision, and I'm not sure if the showed the same nuclear war clips. I believe the episode hinted that Lex saw the vision along with the woman. I think his greatest fear is simply that that future will come to pass and that it'll be his fault.

Last edited by Candygirl; 12-02-2004 at 01:22 AM
Candygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:22 AM
Loyal Fan

Interesting ep. After Chloe's last experience snooping around LuthorCorp, one would have thought that she would have learned her lesson. I guess it is the unquenchable journalist in her. Definitely cool having Clark by her side as they once again searched for answers. They make the most awesome team. The end definitely left us all hanging. You could see it in Clark's eyes that he wanted to tell all but of course the ep. ends and nothing is said. I think that if anyone is going to learn Clark's secret, it will be Chloe.

Ok the other things in this ep. It was interesting to see inside the fears of the characters. Jason fears Lana loves Clark more than him, Chloe fears ending up in a mental institution like her mom (definitely creepy), Lana fears losing everyone she loves, Clark fears Lana discovering his secret and hating him for it, and Lex dreams of becoming president and destroy the world with nuclear war. Definitely interesting insight. But the most interesting thing to come out of this episode was Lionel getting released from prison because some mystery person pulled some strings. My guess is that the mystery person is mama Teague. But that is all speculation at this point. We all know that Lex had nothing to do with it. Well all in all not bad. No ep. next week but hopefully we won't be waiting too long for new material.

Matt Goss' New album Coming Soon

Everything Is Numb3rs
Wildcat492002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:23 AM
Loyal Fan

Yes this episode was pretty damn awesome. The Chlark was alive and kicking..well maybe there weren't any near makeouts or anything..but now that she is probably going to learn his secret soon (and it's about time..am I right??) I am a pretty happy girl. All they need is for them to be a couple for a while to be icing on the cake!! But even if they don't(say it ain't soo!!!!) ..I would be gratified to know that she found out his secret ..such an awesome episode in so many ways..so glad I taped it....and who got Luthor out of jail??? Maybe that Crosby lady or Jason's mom? I dunno I am just going on by people who I have seen ride around in limo's before!!(wait..Jason's mom wasn't a limo was it?? just a nice car?? don't remember...) lol! I have no idea....and stupid Jason running away!!! That is silly....and he didn't even give her a reason!! oh lord any boy who did that to me..lol...

I must bow down to the writers who actually did a great job and didn't mess stuff up this episode....and I agree with a previous poster..do not make Chloe crazy or you will feel all of the Chloe fans wrath!!! lololol....
Old 12-02-2004, 01:29 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Candygirl

-Writers, if you let my Chloe, the girl who has been through so much, leave the show by going crazy, I'll hunt you down. I'm so freaking serious. She's had nothing but pain and heartache since the start, and now you're going to doom her to spend the rest of her life in an institution? My god, how cruel can you people be?

Let me just remind you though: no Chloe going crazy, or you face my wrath.
WORD. Seriously, I will be right there with you hunting them down!

- Chlark investigation! Hee! Loved the little secrets comment Chloe made in Lana's apt... she's so on to him.

- CHLOE'S FEAR: I have to say first... amazing lighting in this scene! The image of Chloe coming into the room and that bluish light on her face will forever be branded in my mind. Creepy. The voice Allison used *shudders* whoa. Oh and excellent make-up.

- Did anyone catch what Clark did to that guard when he saw Chloe? He just like flicked him and he passed out? Huh?

- LANA'S FEAR: I LOVE the fact that Clark wasn't there. Hee! Chloe and Jason were, very interesting. I also really like the fact that Lana loves Jason. Bout time to move on from the friggin Clana. The make-up wasn't nearly as good as it was for Allison, and the voice Kristin used wasn't as good as Allison's, either.

- CLARK'S FEAR: Hmm, Lana kills him. I find that rather amusing. I feel bad for the guy... he has no one to talk to. Glad that he realized that he can't tell Lana.

- Stupid writers. Don't leave us hanging wondering who released Lionel.

- Final scene: Chlark. Wow. Very powerful. And I already said, they better not have Chloe go crazy. I will be royally pissed. Love how Clark just had to go and touch her, and the tone in his voice was so full of concern. Aww. I really think now that Clark will tell Chloe. He seems to be aching for that type of relationship again. She's probably the only person who will understand and accept him. Also, I find myself so captivated by AM's acting abilities in almost every episode. She has the uncanny ability to carry off so many emotions at once so easily. Not only that, but she pulls you in and are able to feel what her character is feeling. Amazing.

Last edited by BeautifulDisaster; 12-02-2004 at 01:37 AM
BeautifulDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:44 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by BeautifulDisaster
[B. Also, I find myself so captivated by AM's acting abilities in almost every episode. She has the uncanny ability to carry off so many emotions at once so easily. Not only that, but she pulls you in and are able to feel what her character is feeling. Amazing.
I totally agree!! She is such an amazing actress I almost found myself crying along when she was crying about her mom being crazy!! It's like she makes you feel exactly what she is feeling!! When Smallville is over..man this girl needs a show of her own!! I would so watch a Chloe spinoff...or just a show starring her because you know it would be a good show...
Old 12-02-2004, 02:17 AM
Elite Fan

Clark's fear was not that "lana will kill him"...it's that if Lana finds out the truth about him...that she'll resent him forever. Just wanted to point that out.

Also, I'm sick and tired of Clark crying over Lana...enough already! Also, Lana's fear...when Clark wasn't even a small part of that...I just wanted to pull Clark aside and tell him..."Listen, dude...it's over...you've been replaced...now go grab that spirited reporter and make her yours!...If you don't...I will"

I thought that overall the episode was OK. Not good enough though by Smallville standards. Also, the spoilers...yeah, they're not always right...but if they were...Lex's fear with Lana at the altar rejecting him would have been great to see.

I can't wait to see where the Lionel storyline goes...it was the best part of the episode IMO. Michael Rosenbaum and John Glover are keeping Smallville afloat when they're given decent screen time to work with.

When Martha said to Clark "that there will be someone out there for him" it would have been a nice foreshadow if they had cut to a small scene or a glimpse of Lois

What was up with Allison Mack's hair tonight? Come on, makeup artists...give her back her "original style" that we all love so much.

Best "worst nightmare" scene goes to Michael Rosenbaum. He is so great being "evil" Lex. I can't wait for the day he turns The great thing is...even though "he's evil"...people will still like him! That's a testament to how amazing Michael's portrayal of Lex has been so far.

Best special effect...the meteor hitting Clark in his "nightmare" sequence. Smallville has managed to stay ahead of most shows regarding their effects/sound stuff.

'lex

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:41 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Strifer

When Martha said to Clark "that there will be someone out there for him" it would have been a nice foreshadow if they had cut to a small scene or a glimpse of Lois

I TOTALLY thought there was gonna be a Lois allusion after that scene. That's, like, the second time this season they missed a perfect Clois-insinuation oppurtunity.
DHCgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:02 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by BeautifulDisaster

Also, I find myself so captivated by AM's acting abilities in almost every episode. She has the uncanny ability to carry off so many emotions at once so easily. Not only that, but she pulls you in and are able to feel what her character is feeling. Amazing.
I definitely think with the right premise and accompanying cast, Allison Mack could carry a series all by herself.

I think she is talented enough to carry a serious drama that is based in reality (like a cop show, or medical drama), or another sci-fi/fantasy show like Smallville, or Roswell where everything that is out of the ordinary is ordinary
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:29 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Strifer
Clark's fear was not that "lana will kill him"...it's that if Lana finds out the truth about him...that she'll resent him forever. Just wanted to point that out.
The fear didn't end with her rejection; the girl stabbed him with Kryptonite. I'm not saying that that was what the fear was all about, but I don't think it can be ignored either. In the fear, Lana so distinguished Clark from anything human that she could kill him without hesitation. To her, he was an alien thing, almost less than an animal, whose life could be taken without thought. I think that was a significan't part of Clark's fear. Lana rejected him not because he lied to her or whatever, but because he was a non-human *thing* who killed her parents. I think Clark fears that kind of utter disgust. In my mind, the Kryptonite "dagger" is symbolic of the power Lana has over Clark, his love for her, that she could wield to destroy him more completely than the rejection of anyone else.

/end pointless rant
Old 12-02-2004, 04:32 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by DHCgirl
I TOTALLY thought there was gonna be a Lois allusion after that scene. That's, like, the second time this season they missed a perfect Clois-insinuation oppurtunity.
I think it was a Clois insinuation without any cuts to Lois. Unless, of course, it was as reference to Chloe finding out this season. Who knows. Whenever they do the "someday your prince will come" speeches, I think they take it for granted that we know they're talking about Lois. Needing to cut to Lois in some way cheapens it for me, like we need it to be obvious to get it, or something.