Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 06:27 AM
Passionate Fan

Jor-El Discussion #1: Is Jor-El supposed to be evil?

His actions make you wonder if he is a good guy or evil incarnate. I am not sure myself so what do you guys think?
Bronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Elite Fan

Hm, good question.
I think in the earlier seasons his actions were a lot more questionable. And there was a time when I suspected it actually might be Zod pretending to be Jor-El to get Clark to do something he shouldn't.
I just think they were trying to mislead us. Or maybe see Jor-El through Clark's eyes - like some guy who's talking about destiny he [Clark] still doesn't want to embrace, so he's sounding dangerous.

I think that by the time we got FoS they changes a way in which they wrote the character. He didn't seem so cold anymore. Sure there was the whole part about consequences if Clark doesn't finish the training, and Jonathan ended up dead.
But I believe Jor-El is just getting frustrated because Clark is putting off his training for other things over and over again.

I think Raya is the reason Clark is finally starting to see Jor-El in a new, true, light. So yes, I do believe that in the end he is a good guy.
Even though some of his methods to get to Clark are a bit strange, to say the least.

I changed the thread title a bit, we didn't have Jor-El thread before, so this one could serve as one.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think they retconned Jor-El a bit later on. When Clark says that Jor-El never lied to him Umm wasn't Jor-El using the girl that died in Covenant to fool Clark into believing she was a part of Krypton?
Old 01-18-2007, 03:53 PM
Master Fan

I'm not to keen on how Jor-El is written in this show, it's so different than the warm portrayal that's in the movies. He's way more loving toward Clark which is why I don't like the dark image they paint of him.

Either way, I don't think he's evil on the show either, but he's really impatient with Clark. I think he also dislikes that Clark has so many human qualities in him, like caring for them and seeing them as equal beings.

Quote:
But I believe Jor-El is just getting frustrated because Clark is putting off his training for other things over and over again.
I think so too. Clark should be training by now and he isn't, and that doesn't sit too well with him.
I'm really glad that Clark's seeing him in a new light.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Loyal Fan

I agree he does just seem really frustrated with Clark, but I guess he doesn't really see humans and life like we puny humans and Clark do. Looking from his perspective it probably does seem like Clark is just shirking his duty and destiny.

I think they handled the Raya part well. Clark trusted her and she loved and admired Jor-El, I think that is making Clark think about the things that Jor-El has done to him over the years differently as well.

Question though:
Is Jor-El gone? I got really confused in that one episode when the Fortress died. Is the Fortress dead?

Lois: (to Clark) Lana's your past, I'm your future.
*~World on Fire~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Elite Fan

Remember, that "evil" is a point of view. A lot of how things are perceived are a matter of certain points of view. I'm sure Jor-El doesn't consider himself evil at all, infact, in his mind, he's tried to help Clark since S2...when he was introduced to the show through the voice of Terance Stamp.

The Fortress is not dead. Clark brought it back to life when he "sent back" the zoner played by Bow-Wow, he used his "energy consuming" ability to bring it back to life.

Alex

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Loyal Fan

So he just hasn't gone back to it since then?

Lois: (to Clark) Lana's your past, I'm your future.
*~World on Fire~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Elite Fan

That is correct, we saw the Fortress come back to life and it wasn't mentioned since.
I guess Jor-El is waiting patiently for Clark to catch all the Zoners, and then finally come to his senses and start training with him.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Dedicated Fan

heres how I see it.

Clark/and the rest of us might see Jor-El as evil because of Jonathan's point of view. Jonathan saw Jor-El as the man trying to take his son away, Jonanthan (in this show) has always frustrated me. He's always made clark hide who he is from those that he trusts the most, now I get it's because he's scared that somthing bad will happen to clark. But he's always played the part of the father that lets his son make the decisions as long as the decision is something he likes. If Jor-El hadn't wanted Clark to be raised by humans he wouldn't have chosen the Kents for Clark to be raised by. Jonthan died because clark didn't come back in time to finish his training the first that night went to fight the followers of Zod.

I don't think Jor-El is evil, he's just been left the job of being the evil guy. Jonahtan has had all of the good points in clarks life and tried to drive clark away from Jor-El, his history and the power that is with him. Jonathan likes clark's powers when they can work on the farm but not when they can save people.

And i got a little off track there.
WarriorAngelGabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:07 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorAngelGabriel (View Post)
Clark/and the rest of us might see Jor-El as evil because of Jonathan's point of view.
I don't think Jor-El is evil, he's just been left the job of being the evil guy.
I like your view of Jor-El. I think the show will probably explain it in that way.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:11 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I'll have to remember during my rewatch/watch when I watch probably
crash landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:11 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I'll have to remember during my rewatch/watch when I watch probably
Old 10-27-2017, 12:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Jor-El from the first half