Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2015, 10:06 PM
New Fan

General Season 4 Discussion #1

Ok, so I'll admit. I have no idea what the stones arc was all about. I really, truly can't make sense of it. I was so frustrated watching this season because so far the show has had pretty decent season long arcs. Like the Nixon one in 1, the ship and Krypton in 2 and the Luthor one in 3. But here it was like, I was scratching my head throughout. And then there was the whole Isabella and Genevive and Jason angle thrown in. A shame because I actually liked Jason for his first few episodes.

I also sensed a shift in tone this season. I can't pinpoint what but it was there. Overall, I don't think this was as strong a season as the previous ones before it. There were some really bad episodes like Krypto, Sacred, Ageless and Forever.

And yet. The funny thing is that I'm still really enjoying the show on the whole. I think I'm sold on the characters so completely by now that I'm in it basically till the end, no matter how many crazy witch storylines are thrown at me.

What I think season 4 really has going for it are it episodes that are good, are very good. This season already has some of my favorite episodes so far. I absolutely loved Crusade, Run, Transference and Commencement. I think the Alicia mini arc was done really well. Surprisingly poignant. And some silly episodes that on paper would seem ridiculous, actually turned out to be a hoot, like Facade, Devoted, Spell and Spirit.

Lois had such a wonderful introduction in those first four episodes, I almost wish she weren't brought back for more in the season. I was completely surprised to see her on in Crusade in the first place, and enjoyed every minute we got of her till Devoted. She seemed like such a fun addition. And although I think she had some nice moments in the rest of the season, they should have just shown her off traveling or something, and then maybe bring her back the next season. Because the show doesn't seem to want her to start her journalism career yet or romance with Clark, despite the odd hints and moments here and there. It would have been nice not to waste her just being around. I don't know if I'm making sense but that's the feeling I got. I also think it's weird that Clark and Lois had this fantastic chemistry in the first four episodes and you could genuinely see this pull between them and then poof. Gone. It's like their scenes later on were written for another two characters altogether.

Lana. Oh dear. This was such a trainwreck season for her. And for Clark and Lana. The yo-yo continues. Kristin Kreuk is a good actress I think and when they just let her be and be funny and charming, I remember why I liked Lana.

I am LOVING that Chloe knows about Clark. The growth in Chloe is remarkable. She was just terrific throughout the whole season but especially in Commencement. Girl is loyal and fierce! Clark is incredibly lucky to have her in his life. I loved the Chloe and Lois bond as well. These two actresses play well off each other.

Horrid season for Lex, I think. Not much better for Clark either but I think Tom Welling has just grown into the most gorgeous man.

Still love the Kents. Getting a bit tired of Lionel. I feel really sad about that.
farrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrah (View Post)
I also sensed a shift in tone this season. I can't pinpoint what but it was there. Overall, I don't think this was as strong a season as the previous ones before it.
Al and Miles spoke at the time about feeling like they got "too dark and adult" with season 3 and the storylines they were telling with the Luthor's, so there was a deliberate attempt to have things be more playful and light-hearted in season 4, and return the focus to high school with Clark on the football team etc. It wasn't a great season for Lex for that reason IMO, in a lot of episodes he hardly had any screentime bar one or two scenes at the mansion

I know what you mean about it still kind of working though, a lot of the episodes that really embraced the campy tone (Onyx, Spirit etc) were really fun to watch. I'm not sure about Spell though! (okay Clark's dancing was cute ) It just seemed like a lot of the Isobel stuff was there to give Kristin something else to do? It also seemed to me like it should have just been Clark and Lex searching for the stones, but they wanted to include Lana in it in some way so that all three of the main characters were involved in the main arc? It had a good ending with the Fortress, but the season definitely didn't feel very well planned out in how they got there

Quote:
Lois had such a wonderful introduction in those first four episodes, I almost wish she weren't brought back for more in the season. I was completely surprised to see her on in Crusade in the first place, and enjoyed every minute we got of her till Devoted. She seemed like such a fun addition. And although I think she had some nice moments in the rest of the season, they should have just shown her off traveling or something, and then maybe bring her back the next season. Because the show doesn't seem to want her to start her journalism career yet or romance with Clark, despite the odd hints and moments here and there. It would have been nice not to waste her just being around. I don't know if I'm making sense but that's the feeling I got. I also think it's weird that Clark and Lois had this fantastic chemistry in the first four episodes and you could genuinely see this pull between them and then poof. Gone. It's like their scenes later on were written for another two characters altogether.
I totally agree I always felt like Lois worked best in Crusade-Devoted when the writers clearly had more of a plan to tease the early beginnings of her character, once she became recurring her character was all over the place IMHO. Most people seemed to really like the comedy that Lois added, but I wasn't always such a fan to be honest, it wasn't until season 8 that her character grew on me again

Quote:
Getting a bit tired of Lionel. I feel really sad about that.
I think everyone got tired of good Lionel that year It was frustrating not knowing if we were supposed to take it seriously or not, but I did like his turn back to bad in Onyx
Old 08-18-2015, 09:06 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Al and Miles spoke at the time about feeling like they got "too dark and adult" with season 3 and the storylines they were telling with the Luthor's, so there was a deliberate attempt to have things be more playful and light-hearted in season 4, and return the focus to high school with Clark on the football team etc. It wasn't a great season for Lex for that reason IMO, in a lot of episodes he hardly had any screentime bar one or two scenes at the mansion
Oh, I see. Thanks for that info!

Quote:
Most people seemed to really like the comedy that Lois added, but I wasn't always such a fan to be honest, it wasn't until season 8 that her character grew on me again
I like Lois when the writers bother to write for her. But half the time it's like they just don't seem to care! Such a shame because she can be a very enjoyable character in the right moments.
farrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:52 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for opening the thread, farrah! And thanks as well for sharing your opinion and thoughts.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Season 4 is the season that is so/so to me.
I liked it and sort of didn't at times. I mostly liked it though...
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:57 AM
Fan Forum Legend

So general season threads aren't forgotten about not sure if they are listed or not in the board guide
crash landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:45 PM
Fan Forum Legend

My highlights from season 4 are: The introduction of Lois Lane! the show needed some new energy, and she brought it. Lois/Clark banter, Clark/Alicia Short but sweet. Clark/Chloe. Their friendship finally became my favorite! FLASH!! Lana/Jason. The growth of Lionel Luthor. Margot Kidder. Ms. Swann.

My downfall from it: Lana's character... it's the first season when I start to dislike her. The writing for Lana/Jason relationship after Pariah. Aftermath for a certain death. First season with no Pete Ross.
All these magical episodes. lol So I guess Isobel.... greatly portrayed by Kristin though.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:03 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Going to miss Pete when I get to the 4th season
Old 09-24-2016, 09:09 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Yes, I missed him. But luckily we got to see a new friend learn his secret to find of in a way, let Pete void be filled as the one who knows about Clark's powers.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:31 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Hope that becomes Chloe
Old 11-12-2016, 01:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Season 4 off to a great start! first four episodes with Lois Lane and next episode bring in Flash.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yes seeing "The Flash"
Old 11-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Bart Allen had his SMH moments but overall, great episode for him.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It was a great episode for him indeed
Old 11-12-2016, 10:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

^ The next episode of Season 4 continues on with the great episodes. I feel that 4x07 is the one that's... ehhh so/so but Season 4 does have a great start!
Reply   Post New Thread