Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2004, 06:56 AM
New Fan

Clarks age?

Does anyone know how old Clark is supposed to be? Its been bugging me that it never gets mentioned how old either Clark or any of the high school kids are, I think they were 15 when Smallville started in season 1 so they should be 18 by now and be graduating high school this season.
bethany1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Fan

Hmm...well by now I think Clark should be at least 17, since I think he started out as a freshman in HS and the show is now in its 3rd season, but don't quote me on that.

Candy, do you have any idea?

Janine || [ @FF.net ] [ @LJ.com ]
sumiregusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 04:09 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by bethany1977:
<STRONG>Does anyone know how old Clark is supposed to be? Its been bugging me that it never gets mentioned how old either Clark or any of the high school kids are, I think they were 15 when Smallville started in season 1 so they should be 18 by now and be graduating high school this season.</STRONG>
They were freshman in Season 1, sophomores in Season 2, and juniors this season. We know Clark celebrates his birthday in mid-May ("Calling"). Considering this, I think Clark will be celebrating his 17th birthday this May.

This, of course, depends on the assumption that Clark started school along with his same-aged peers and was never held back or allowed to skip a grade.

FYI, Lana is already 17 since her birthday is in late November ("Craving").

That's my guess, anyway.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Fan

Sounds good to me...I think we're right. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2004, 03:17 AM
New Fan

thanks guys for the info, being from the UK I wasn't too sure how the American school system works and how old you are in each grade!! it would be a lot easier if they just had someone say how old Clark is once in a while!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2004, 02:57 AM
Loyal Fan

Actually, the Smallvillians are "old for their age." Most HS freshmen turn 15, not 16, in their freshman years, assuming they turn 6 in kindergarten.

However, Lana turned 16 in S1, when she was a freshman, and Chloe obviously was 16 by the end of the year, since she was driving, and isn't a "farm kid" and thus doesn't have the farm permit exemption thing going for her.

As for Clark, he could be as young as 15 (driving on a farm permit), but since Jonathan let/made Clark take the truck and didn't reject the truck on Clark's behalf, he could have been 16 or even 18.
That perches in the soul --

What?
PepperjackCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by PepperjackCandy:
<STRONG>Actually, the Smallvillians are "old for their age." Most HS freshmen turn 15, not 16, in their freshman years, assuming they turn 6 in kindergarten.

However, Lana turned 16 in S1, when she was a freshman, and Chloe obviously was 16 by the end of the year, since she was driving, and isn't a "farm kid" and thus doesn't have the farm permit exemption thing going for her.

As for Clark, he could be as young as 15 (driving on a farm permit), but since Jonathan let/made Clark take the truck and didn't reject the truck on Clark's behalf, he could have been 16 or even 18.</STRONG>
I'm not sure that them driving is the way to determine their age. I think that was simply an adjustment made because the plot called for it. The writers needed a way for Chloe to go investigating, Clark to get to Lex's etc so they let them all drive. It's more plausible that they're driving early than that they're all a year behind the rest of the country.

Besides, being from a very small farming town, I can tell you that the driving laws are often very loosely applied. Since some kids gets farm permits, the cops don't usually pull people just for looking younger.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Fan

ITA Candy -- and I was 16 when I was a freshman so...a little confused by the significance of that analysis. It's all good though...not that important. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2004, 11:23 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by .:NiennaValandil:.:
<STRONG>ITA Candy -- and I was 16 when I was a freshman so...a little confused by the significance of that analysis. It's all good though...not that important. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]</STRONG>

Hmm, you were? Am I messing up my math? Everyone I know turned 18 during senior year (or the summer/early fall after senior year). Which means they turned 15 during freshman year.

Courtesy o' google: Children must turn 5 by August 31 before they can start kindergarten in Kansas. So Clark turned 5 in May, started school the following September and turned 6 at the end of his kindergarten year. Following this through, he'll turn 17 this May (this being his junior year.)

...unless, of course, he was held back at any point. But assuming he went through school normally, I'm putting my money on the explanation above.

Ok, I'm really gonna stop analyzing this now.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:53 AM
New Fan

I have discovered that Lana was born in 1986 after watching 'Redux' again so that makes her 17 now turning 18 in November so assuming Clark would be the same age he should turn 17 in May so Candygirl you were right!!!
Old 04-05-2004, 11:26 AM
Master Fan

yeah, 17 sounds about right. they were pretty older looking for freshmen though, especially clark in s1.
n e r b l e is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top