Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Elite Fan

April 3, 2008: Al Gough and Miles Millar Depart “Smallville”

I think this topic deserves it's own thread for right now, especially given the absence of new episode this week:

Again, for those who haven't heard/read about it:

Miles Millar and Al Gough, the creators of "Smallville", have released an open letter stating that they will no longer be working on the series as of next season:

Quote:
As the creators of "Smallville" we look back at 7 amazing years. We look back at 152 episodes. We look back knowing that the show will continue into Season 8 without us. After much heartache and debate we have decided it is time for us to move on.
Over the last 7 years we have had the honor of working with a remarkable team of people here in Los Angeles and in Vancouver. We have been blessed with a wonderful cast who we have watched mature with admiration and affection. We have been rewarded with a fan base that is as loyal as it is vocal.

We are incredibly proud of our work on this show. We achieved what we set out to do. We never compromised our vision. We leave knowing that "Smallville" is the longest-running comic book based series of all-time. The show was featured on the covers of Rolling Stone, MAD magazine, TV Guide and Entertainment Weekly. The pilot had the highest-rated premiere in the history of the WB. Even in its seventh year it is still the #1 scripted show on the network. "Smallville" is watched by millions of people in hundreds of countries and in dozens of languages around the world.

The show's success is a credit to a fantastically talented group of people. We wanted to take this chance to single some of them out. Our writers - your work speaks for itself. James, Jae, Rob, David - the backbone of our team in Vancouver. Joe Davola, Chris and Shelly - remember those Friday night brainstorming sessions? Len Goldstein and Steve Pearlman - thanks for believing we could do this. David Nutter - for giving the show your magic touch. John Litvack - when the knives were out, you always had our backs. Ken Horton - our Yoda. Peter Roth - Smallville's biggest fan. Melinda, Michael R., Paul M., Susan and Suzanne - for steering us through 152 episodes. Greg Beeman - your passion is an inspiration. Jordan, David, Garth, Carolyn, Bob & Lew - and everyone at the much-missed WB. Paul Levitz, Greg Noveck and the guys at DC Comics. Lisa Lewis - our very own soccer mom/mafia accountant. Michael Gendler - aka mega-counsel. David Lubliner - we can finally focus on features now. And last but in no way the least, Renee Kurtz - the smartest TV agent in town, we would be nowhere without you!

Finally, to the fans who have stuck with us through the highs and the lows: know this - we never stopped fighting to make this show great. Thanks for watching.

Alfred Gough & Miles Millar
TVGuide.com reports that the CW and Warner Bros. TV have issued a joint statement on who will now take the helm as executive producers of "Smallville"...

Quote:
"Al Gough and Miles Millar have been great partners and instrumental in the development and success of Smallville. While we are sad to see them go, we are very excited to announce that executive producers Darren Swimmer, Todd Slavkin, Kelly Souders and Brian Peterson will helm the show next season. [They] have been writing for the show for the past six seasons, and as producers for the last four years, they have played an integral role in the ongoing creative evolution of the series. As showrunners, they will continue to deliver the compelling storytelling that Smallville fans have come to expect and love."
I encourage you to continue the discussion from the DP thread here How do you feel about this, what is your reaction, expectations for S8 now?

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

i'm really reserving judgement right now...gough and millar made smallville- this includes lana AND chloe so in someone else's hands may not be as good (or bad)
however peterson and soulders, swimmer and slavkin are competent enough writers so maybe they'll be good as the creative heads
Wingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

After finding out about their departures, as well as the already known Michael and Kristin ones, it's really bittersweet thinking about all the ones leaving the show at the end of this season. I can't help but think that maybe S7 was initially going to be the final season, but the CW wasn't ready to let it go just yet...which is actually a nice compliment to the series. Once the creator(s) leave their series behind though, it's usually never the same, and not in a good way, at least that's what I've always found. So, here's hoping as different as the show is bound to be in S8, it will still maintain that something extra which has made it what it's been. I do like seeing regular writers of the series stepping up, so they're not bringing in an entirely new set of people to run the show. All the people leaving will be highly missed.
goodbreakingbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Loyal Fan

I'm happy the two Lana obsessed people are gone.
*Butterflies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I can hardly believe this news...I thought Gough/Millar would stay 'til the end of the series, to see it through from start to finish. I feel a bit sad that they'll no longer be involved in the show...they've been a constant presence behind-the-scenes, and I always enjoyed reading their interviews, plus their introductions in the DVD boxsets. They've done a phenomenal job with bringing the story of young Clark Kent to life, and they are rightfully proud of what they've accomplished on the show. Having said that, I'm excited for S8 to have a fresh set of executive producers, and I'm especially thrilled that it will be Slavkin/Swimmer/Souders/Petersen. I admire them as writers on the show, so I have faith in them to keep delivering the goods. Given this news, and the casting situation for S8, I'm optimistic that S8 will continue to be the Smallville that I love to watch.

icon: Spike it up
happy mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:54 AM
Extreme Fan

i was suprised when i read this, yesterday and of course sad. i got the same feeling that maybe season seven will end up being the last season. its going to be a really different show without them, but as long as smallville is on, i'll watch.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I thought these two would stay to the end as well. Can only hope that the rumors are true (that DC is taking over because they didn't like their season 8 pitch).

I must admit that I was very disappointed with how season 7 had been going. Clark didn't grow at all this year and some of the episodes were very misleading.

I can only hope that with the new people in charge, Smallville will 'go forward' and that season 8 will be better than this year.

Had Al and Miles stayed, I would have watched season 8 anyways because of my devotion to Smallville but I would have been disappointed if season 8 turned out to be a repeat of season 7.

Looking forward to what the future has in store though.
Emma♥Neal
Ron_Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Elite Fan

Something to keep in mind...

We don't have details about their departure however, apparently their contracts were indeed up at the end of season 7.. Although they envisioned SV as an 8 season long show, they assumed they would be back for S8 as executive producers but we see that's clearly not how things worked out.

Millar and Gough have some film projects they maybe working on, and it looks like they were more and more involved with that and other side projects.

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Master Fan

Well, I guess all my complaining about Clark not behaving like a hero finally payed off.....
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Little_Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Elite Fan

I couldn't agree more. I don't want this to turn into a bashing thread, so keeping my comments civil and constructive, I'll just say I'm not sad about them going at all.

Whatever the reasons, it's done and I'm sure SV will be fine in the long run.

I look forward to the authority being more "spread out", as it's harder for one person to "enforce" their favorite couple/character on the show when you gotta share "power" with 3 others. For some reason I always felt that Al Gough pulled more strings than Miles, as far as creative decisions, etc. Now I'm sure we won't have that happening with the show's 4 new executive producers. It'll help if they have some on the set, and not all 4 are back in LA. I'm not sure how they'll do it, divide responsibility, but I feel it works best if executive producers visit the set more often, and one of them is pretty much always there in person. Case and point BSG, one of my favorite shows. Either Ron or David is pretty much always in Vancouver.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Dedicated Fan

I have to admit that I was surprised at this news. However, I can't say that I'm unhappy with it. Smallville hasn't been wowing me lately and since Al & Miles were in control, I choose to blame them.

However, I've noticed that episodes written by Souders & Peterson are the best of the bunch. So hopefully with these two (along with Slavkin and Swimmer) running things, Smallville will get back on track. And by "on track" I mean making Clark the focus of the show!
youandme1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I went through and checked out the eps these writers have written in the past and I am definitely not worried, they really have written some of the best eps of Smallville. And personally, I like how many of them have been Lex, and Clark/Lois centric.
goodbreakingbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:25 AM
Passionate Fan

Well I would like to thanks Al and Miles for bringing Smallville and the cast to our screens. They have certainly enriched our lives with the show. I don't know what to expect from the new folks in charge but if it means it's going to be less Clark and Lana centric (and no disrespect to their fans), I think we are in for a better season eight (mental note to oneself - KK is only in a small number of episode next season so of course it will be - duh).
On that topic, do we think that the changes at the top will cause some cast to reconsider their contract? Meaning that MR and perhaps KK will return for more episodes?
2old2care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Elite Fan

This is exactly like what happened with Gilmore Girls...

This royally sucks!

But, at the same time, I've felt SV has hit quite the creative slump. Maybe they will prove us wrong in S8 with a fresh start.

kenny | credit

Last edited by smoothaise; 04-05-2008 at 10:18 AM
smoothaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old2care (View Post)
Well I would like to thanks Al and Miles for bringing Smallville and the cast to our screens. They have certainly enriched our lives with the show. I don't know what to expect from the new folks in charge but if it means it's going to be less Clark and Lana centric (and no disrespect to their fans), I think we are in for a better season eight (mental note to oneself - KK is only in a small number of episode next season so of course it will be - duh).
On that topic, do we think that the changes at the top will cause some cast to reconsider their contract? Meaning that MR and perhaps KK will return for more episodes?
Hi there Welcome to the board and to the site

As a superman fan, I am definitely thankful to Al and Miles for bringing SV to us fans. No question about that. I just feel that they took SV as far as they could possibly take it, and it was time for all parties to "part ways" and get a fresh start.

It is very much speculative to say how will this affect AM, KK or MR when signing on for another season of SV regardless of how many episodes some of them are contractually obligated to appear in.

Ken...I can't compare SV to GG since I've never seen it, but we have to give the new people in charge a fair chance next season. I'm taking an optimistic approach to it personally.

Anji

Quote:
I went through and checked out the eps these writers have written in the past and I am definitely not worried, they really have written some of the best eps of Smallville. And personally, I like how many of them have been Lex, and Clark/Lois centric.
Yes, some of the better episodes of the show have been written by them, and they've been with SV for a while now, and are pretty familiar with the process (at least they should be).

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top