Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2004, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Fan

Smallville 4x07 "Jinx" Episode Discussion

"JINX"

Chloe (Allison Mack) is drawn into an underground gambling ring at school run by foreign exchange student Mikail Mxyzptlk (guest star Trent Ford) and loses her savings on a football game after Mxyzptlk uses his powers to control all the players - including Clark (Tom Welling). When Chloe discovers Mxyzptlk's secret, he kidnaps her and threatens to kill her unless Clark throws the championship game. Meanwhile, Lex (Michael Rosenbaum) threatens Mxyzptlk with deportation unless he uses his powers for Lex's benefit.

Kristin Kreuk, John Glover, Jensen Ackles, Annette O'Toole and John Schneider also star. Paul Shapiro directed the episode written by Mark Warshaw.

Okay, so now I feel like a thread hog. I just can't not talk about the eps before they air. I think I have a disease...

Janine || [ @FF.net ] [ @AO3.org ] [ @WP.com ]
sumiregusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:20 AM
Elite Fan

this has got to be the worst episode so far. very dissapointed. ive already lost interest. and the guy this week, 1. the accent is horrible. 2. not as horrible as his acting. nough said. crap episode.

kenny | credit
smoothaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:49 AM
Absolute Fan

Janine, I was going to start it, but I think it's fun for posters to get a chance to start threads. I was never fond of the "official thread starters" idea. So yeah, thanks for starting this one! Everyone else- I'm sure neither Sugi nor I would mind if you guys want to start the thread. We'll start it if it isn't opened by 8 EST, but before then, it's all yours. Just don't start it before Wednesday .

Teaser- Hee, Chloe trying to pronounce Mxyptlk was hilarious.

-LOL, it's the second time in 2 weeks that someone has accused Clark of being on drugs.

-Oooooh,Chloe's gambling is for a story. Duh. I didn't even think of that, I thought Chloe had just turned gambling addict. (You know, like Pete's out-of-nowhere racing problem?) Also, a mention of Gabe! Yay, he's aliiive...and, um, unemployed? WTF? Lex is running Luthorcorp, why doesn't Gabe have a job?

-"I haven't had that much fun on a couch since Johnny Something in fifth grade" BWAHA. I lurve Chloe.

-Sigh, Clark as part of the pom pom and jockstrap group? So not loving it. Little bored, actually. I want my nerdy, journalist-in-training Clark back.

-The Chlark friendship is invincible. Seriously, no matter how much the other messes up, they always seem to be able to forgive each other.

-OMG, blatant advertising! Does anyone else want to buy OldSpice Red Zone deoderant now?

-Our little Clarkie is becoming a man, ya'll. Aren't you so proud? Sniffles, tear tear.

-Lol, Chloe's a mini-McGyver now? Hee, and she got a punch in! At least one person on the show fights like a normal person instead of a kung-fu expert.

-Dude, Clark is faaaaaaaast now. Waaaaay fast. Be careful SV writers, you all can't use that little trick too often.

-Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, do we think Chloe knows? She was awfully suspicious, and Clark's little "aw, shucks" look turned to "aw, crap" pretty quickly. Eeenteresting.

-Ew. Lexana. Clark, Jason, and Lex all madly in love with her at once? It's just too stinking much, PTB. Guh.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:55 AM
Loyal Fan

Hmm...not much to say about this ep.

But how 'bout that promo for next week?

Did anyone else hear "he's a lot like you...the dangerous type..." in their head during the girls' very Craft like walk?

Last edited by DHCgirl; 11-04-2004 at 01:05 AM
DHCgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 01:01 AM
Loyal Fan

Not as good as last week but then few eps. are. I have to say that nothing huge came out of this ep. Although one must wonder what is on floor 33.1 of the luthorcorp building. Just when I think that Lex is not turning into an absolute bastard he does something to disappoint me. I mean getting Jason fired so that he could have a chance with Lana, nasty. And he had to know that Clark would get blamed for it all and Lana would come running to him for some comfort. Evil!

Anyways, it is good to see things going well between Clark and Chloe once again. They are always a good pair. But the best stuff to come out of this ep. is the exchanges between Clark and Jonathan. You can definitely see a responsible Clark who is really accepting of who he is and respectful of his limitations. He was right when he told Jonathan that what he goes through out on the field is something that Jonathan will never understand. I think Jonathan realizing Clark was right has made him see Clark for the responsible man he has become. I guess it is hard to give up being the protective father. Anyways next week looks more interesting and will hopefully prove to be so.

Matt Goss' New album Coming Soon

Everything Is Numb3rs
Wildcat492002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 01:18 AM
New Fan

I remember Jason saying he came from a rich family. Maybe his family are rivals to the Luthors. Could be the reason for Lex telling on the relationship.

I had an idea about floor 33.1, that could be where Lionel kept Lana's childhood friend that walked through walls. Who knows how many other freaks of nature are in there? I was dying for them to show what was in there. We'll have to wait. *sigh*
Tombasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 01:20 AM
Ultimate Fan

Thanks Candy.

Well this episode wasn't terrible, but it wasn't terribly thrilling either. I think what made it most intriguing were the Chlark scenes and the Clark-suiting-up-in-the-locker-to-Green-Day scene -- like, seriously, PTB, Tom can get dressed in slow motion at ANY time. Don't be shy.

Now, to quote Candy's post to death and get my kicks :

Quote:
-"I haven't had that much fun on a couch since Johnny Something in fifth grade" BWAHA. I lurve Chloe.
She's so spunky. Don't you just wanna jump 'er?

Quote:
-The Chlark friendship is invincible. Seriously, no matter how much the other messes up, they always seem to be able to forgive each other.
That's what makes Chlark the best ship on SV...they just always bounce back from whatever crap went on prior, and then they're all Chlarky together again.

Quote:
-OMG, blatant advertising! Does anyone else want to buy OldSpice Red Zone deoderant now?

Leave it up to you to notice that hun. I was noticing the same thing, and it cracked me up. It's like, can you reach for those cleats any slower, Kent?

**WARNING LANA LOVERS** -- You won't like what I'm about to say, trust me, so just don't read.

I'd also like to add a little for Lana...the courtesy period for playing the victim has expired, Little Miss. How's about you not jump to conclusions and cut our boy Clark here a bit o' slack. Yes yes, I know -- he's a terrible human b...alien, and he lied to you and he didn't share his secrets and wah wah wah...maybe you can ask him if he actually said anything before getting all hissy and storming off triumphantly into the distance. Biz-natch...

Anyway, all in all, I give the ep a 7...maybe 6.5 or somethin'.

Janine || [ @FF.net ] [ @AO3.org ] [ @WP.com ]
sumiregusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 01:41 AM
Elite Fan

I liked Jinx. Very good episode. Some things I didn't like.

Why is Papa Kent so eager to tell Clark what to do all the time? Give the guy a break, football is his only outlet and you're going to stop him from playing in the biggest game of his life? His speeches are becoming so predictable and just down right make me sick. Clark should have earned his trust by now...and it's just redundant. I felt that Martha has a much better connection with Clark. Her discussion with him was a more mature one and you could see her compassion for Clark.

I liked how instead of FOTW they decided to make him a returning character...Lex is going down the dark path and there is no turning back. Clark once again lied to Lex....did not tell him that the kid could control people b/c he knew that Lex would try and use that....but at the same time you can't have it both ways Kent! I wish that he would for once tell Lex the truth about stuff like that. I mean last episode he was able to tell him that Lionel was in his body...so why not this? Why let Lex find out on his own and know that you were trying to prevent him from the truth. Then Lex lying to Clark...about the deportation...What did Lex say "A friendship build on secrets and lies is doomed to fail"...well Lex...Clark...you two are getting so good at it.

Jason's character couldn't be more likable. For some reason when Adam was trying to be with Lana in season3, you knew that something was up. Jason really loves Lana. can't imagine why...but anyways.... You also get the sense that he isn't just trying to be nice to Clark b/c he knew about them dating...you can tell that the guy was a genuine person trying to be a friend of Clark's. Now Lex has ruined that friendship, as Lana and Jason will think that Clark told the staff administartion about their relationship. Why didn't Clark just tell Lana it wasn't him? I'm so sick of Lana making Clark feel like garbage...knowning or not...all Clark ever did for Lana is save her life over and over and was there for her...and in "transferance" and now "jinx" she was a total *itch to him. I mean she's known Clark for how long now...4 years at least and he would never do anything to hurt her on purpose. Clark, trust me...Lana's not worth the trouble. Why is he still "in love with her" is beyound my understanding. Lana has been nothing but hateful toward Clark...and her character couldn't be written to be more of a *itch at the moment. This is not a knock on Kristin, who I'm sure is a good actress...but right now when I see a Lana scene...it makes me want to rip my arm off, just so I'll have something to throw at the TV.

Chloe and Clark...what can I say. Allison Mack brings such credibility to Chloe...and you can see her emotions right on the surface...at the end when they were in the kitchen, it took a lot for me not to shout "kiss her you loser"...I can see that their friendship is so strong that nothing will really come between them long term...unlike with Clark and a certain other person

The special effect shot at the end was brilliant. I was so glad to see the Crows win b/c I got the sence that Clark finally felt like he accomplished something of significance and was a part of something he could call his own. Stop interfering papa Kent...oh wait, he appologized before the game...all is well now...not!

Now that football is over Clark can return to the torch...I'm looking forward to more great Clark/Chloe moments. Have I mentioned in this post that Allison Mack has the most amazing smile on TV....if not it's pretty darn close

Lex...what are you doing? Don't you find it disturbing that a grown man would have a thing for someone who is 17? Well, for once...it's kind of illegal there Lex...at least wait for the girl to turn 18...then ask. I thought it was extremely low for him to get Jason fired and have Clark take the blame. You know that Clark is "stupid" and he won't tell Lana that Lex did it...so Clark is the bad guy, Lex gets rid of Jason...and now he thinks that Lana will somehow end up with him? Fine TPTB, just as long as you spare us the Clark/Lana mush from season3...you can have your Lexana...but you know it's never going to last and it's twisted.

Next week looks great...Erica is back as Lois...and when Lois and Chloe are together...things happen

'lex

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 01:48 AM
Absolute Fan

That was an okay episode. The Chloe parts were fantastic, I loved how she was all about getting the story… I even liked that she unraveled the whole thing in about twenty seconds She was great around Clark too, I wish they had more of that dynamic instead of having Kent run around with a ball all day. I mean it’s the parts where he’s around Chloe, doing some thinking, where I see potential for him to become the Superman everyone knows and luvs. I did like how he stood up to his dad at the end… it’s about time! You go make your own decisions Clark, then maybe we’ll get a few less clichés from Jonathan and move on with the episode. Did anyone else miss Pete? The loud jock that was drooling all over Clark the entire episode just doesn’t say friendship to me. Can we get a little more of that? Friendship? They don’t have to be lusting after each other for us to stay entertained.

I thought Mxyptlk was great, did the ‘evil’ really well, kinda reminded me of Lex in season one… but his accent was so brutal. What was with the elevator scene at the end? I think they were shooting for dramatic anticipation, but missed the mark. Aw… and he was hitting on Chloe in that creepy/stalkerish kinda way… but he brought out an interesting side of her. The girl has expensive tastes. Why did she punch him though? Doesn’t she know that it’s been scientifically proven that a judo kick has a 10X greater effect in Smallville?

Someone stop the Lexana, please, I can’t take it anymore. She was barely a part of the plot and somehow it ended up being all about her in the closing scene. She didn't need to be so catty with Clark either.

Anyway, that was a good episode. Chloe was awesome, Clark stepped up a little, Lex sucked on his finger, Mxyptlk was eye candy, and Lana was scarce.

.: l LJ l :. .: l Icon Journal l :.

"Most people bring a coffee- he brought a ******* machine gun!"

*Sugi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 02:47 AM
Addicted Fan

The last Chlark scene had me going: ooh, Chloe knows something. Do you think that this will be the season she finds out? Because I really, really think she will find out. Someone else is bound to and she hangs around Clark the most now that Lana is tied up with Jason. How much am I loving the fact that Clana have been limited to one or no scenes in an ep? Keep this up, TPTB and this show will be completely golden.

Lex in love with Lana? Gag me. Not saying they don't have chemistry but can we not have three men drooling over Lana at the same time? Why is it the kryptofreaks notice Chloe's "infectious smile" and sexiness? Why don't "normal" people not get it? Sheesh.

Icon by wicked_one
Jamie Witter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 03:52 AM
Addicted Fan

ahhh! i want to know what's on floor 33.1!! they can't do this to me!!!
JediBlastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 04:40 AM
Loyal Fan

hello...I am soo upset because I missed tonights eppy because when I set my vcr to tape it I forgot to set the clock back for the savings time thingy so I missed it!!! Does anyone know when and where it might be online to dl when or if someone puts it up? Like Kazaa or something? It is killing me that I haven't seen it ...I am so bummed. any help would be appreciated...thx!!!!=)

I think I remember something about BitTorrent having eppys...I downlaoded bitotorrent but have no idea how to use it or where to look for stuff....if anyone can help ....

Last edited by chunkeymonkey1981; 11-04-2004 at 05:03 AM
chunkeymonkey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 02:31 PM
Obsessed Fan

I didn't care for Mxyptlk much at all, but there were a lot of good scenes with all of the characters to make up for it.

After seeing last night's episode, I'm beginning to suspect that Chloe may be the one to find out Clark's secret.... The way she was staring at her ID, and the way they lingered on the shot makes it seem kind of forshadowy.

Jonathan's attitude toward Clark sometimes really gets on my nerves. Last night I was wanting to reach through the TV and punch him.

Did Jason get fired for seeing Lana? Or for lying about the drug test for Clark?

The Lex and Clark scenes were great. At the end, I half expected him to say "I did it for me, Clark. I'm tired of doing things for you." I know I probably would've.

I don't care for how many guys they make have feelings for Lana - so I'm all for Clark getting over her. I've been a Lex/Lana fan since the first season. And now she's 18 (I believe her birthday was in Crusade? If she isn't 18, then she will be within the next few episodes, I'm sure), so the age difference (five years isn't that big of a deal) doesn't matter. As far as why Lex would go for Lana - makes sense to me. Lex has probably had a lot of women over the years go after him only for his name and money. On screen alone we've seen Desiree, Helen, & Victoria. Someone like Lana is probably refreshing to him because their relationship's not based on that.

~Kat

Last edited by TheCheshireKitten; 11-04-2004 at 02:36 PM
TheCheshireKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 04:28 PM
Elite Fan

I rewatched the episode, and it wasn't as bad as how I put it out to be above. But, I still think the fotw was a bad actor, and the accent, oh god! But, I liked the idea of room 33.1, lex/lana, and chloe knowing about clark. It is making for an interesting year ... and then next weeks could be another good one, but from the way they advertise it looks cheesy. But, hey Lois is back!

kenny | credit
smoothaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by TheCheshireKitten
I didn't care for Mxyptlk much at all, but there were a lot of good scenes with all of the characters to make up for it.

After seeing last night's episode, I'm beginning to suspect that Chloe may be the one to find out Clark's secret.... The way she was staring at her ID, and the way they lingered on the shot makes it seem kind of forshadowy.

Jonathan's attitude toward Clark sometimes really gets on my nerves. Last night I was wanting to reach through the TV and punch him.

Did Jason get fired for seeing Lana? Or for lying about the drug test for Clark?

The Lex and Clark scenes were great. At the end, I half expected him to say "I did it for me, Clark. I'm tired of doing things for you." I know I probably would've.

I don't care for how many guys they make have feelings for Lana - so I'm all for Clark getting over her. I've been a Lex/Lana fan since the first season. And now she's 18 (I believe her birthday was in Crusade? If she isn't 18, then she will be within the next few episodes, I'm sure), so the age difference (five years isn't that big of a deal) doesn't matter. As far as why Lex would go for Lana - makes sense to me. Lex has probably had a lot of women over the years go after him only for his name and money. On screen alone we've seen Desiree, Helen, & Victoria. Someone like Lana is probably refreshing to him because their relationship's not based on that.
I completely agree. I love Lex/Lana =) I don't know why some people like Chloe better. That little twit gets on my damn nerves.

We will take the best parts of ourselves and make them gold.
icon credit: lucy
london grammar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread