Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2020, 09:50 PM
Moderator Manager

The Tales of Beedle the Bard #5: “Magic causes as much trouble as it cures.”

The Tales Of Beedle The Bard

The Wizard and the Hopping Pot

This story is about the legacy of an old man who, in his generosity, uses his pot to brew magical potions and antidotes for other people when they needed his help. Upon his death, he leaves all his belongings to his only son, who has none of the qualities his father had. After his father's death, the son finds the pot and a single slipper inside it together with a note from his father that reads, "In the fond hope, my son, that you will never need this".
Bitter for having nothing left but a pot, the son closes the door on every person who asks for his help. Each time he does so, the pot takes on the symptoms of the ones who ask for help. This continues until the son finally gives up and provides aid to the town. While he does this, the pot empties and a mysterious slipper falls out — one that perfectly fits the foot of the pot, and together the two walk off into the sunset.

The Fountain of Fair Fortune

In this story, there is a fountain where once per year, one person may bathe to have his or her problems answered. This is how three witches meet. The first witch, Asha, suffers from a disease. The second, Altheda, endures poverty due to a robbery. The third, Amata, is distraught after being left by her beloved. The three witches decide to try to reach the fountain together but along the way, a knight also joins them.
On their path to the fountain, they face three challenges. The first two involve a giant worm that demands "proof of [their] pain" and a steep slope where they have to bring the "fruit of their labours". The third challenge, crossing a river, requires them to pay with "the treasure of [their] past". Amata passes the challenge by using magic to withdraw the memories of her ex-lover and drop them into the water.
At the fountain, Asha collapses from exhaustion. To save her, Altheda brews an invigorating potion that also cures Asha of her disease and need of the fountain. Altheda realises that her skills are a means to earn money, so she also no longer needs the fountain. The third witch realises that washing away her regret for her lover removed her need as well. The knight bathes in the water, after which he flings himself at Amata's feet and asks for her "hand and her heart". Everyone gets an answer to his or her problem, unaware that the fountain held no magical power at all.

The Warlock's Hairy Heart

The story is about a young and handsome warlock who decides to never fall in love, so he uses Dark Arts to prevent himself from doing so. His family, hoping he will change, does nothing. However, one day, he hears two servants whispering about him not having a wife, so he decides to find a talented, rich, and beautiful girl and marry her to gain everyone's envy.
He meets that girl the next day. Though the girl is both "fascinated and repelled", the warlock persuades her to come to a dinner feast at his castle. During the feast, she tells him that she needs to know he has a heart. The warlock shows her his beating hairy heart inside a crystal casket in his dungeon. The witch begs him to put it back inside himself. After the warlock does so, she embraces him. However, being disconnected from its body for so long, his heart is "pierced" by the beauty of her skin and the scent of her hair. Later the other guests find their host and the witch dead.

Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump

This story is about a king who wants to keep all magic to himself. To do this he needs to solve two problems: he must capture the witches in the kingdom and he has to learn magic. He creates a "Brigade of Witch Hunters" and calls for an instructor in magic. Only a "cunning charlatan" with no magical ability responds. The charlatan proves himself with a few simple tricks but starts making demands for jewellery and money to continue teaching. However, Babbitty, the king's washerwoman laughs at his tricks. This causes the king to demand the charlatan join him in a public demonstration of magic and warns that the charlatan will be beheaded if anyone laughs. The charlatan later witnesses Babbitty performing magic in her house. He threatens to expose her if she does not assist him. She agrees to hide and help the demonstration.
During the performance, the brigade captain asks the king to bring his dead hound back to life. Because Babbitty's magic is unable to raise the dead, the crowd realizes the previous acts were tricks. The charlatan exposes Babbitty, accusing her of blocking the spells. Babbitty flees into a forest and disappears at the base of an old tree. In desperation, the charlatan states that she has turned "into a crab apple" and has the tree cut down.
As the crowd departs, the stump starts cackling and makes the charlatan confess. The stump cackles again, demanding the king never hurt a wizard again, and build a statue of Babbitty on the stump so that he is reminded of his foolishness. The king agrees and heads back to the palace. Afterwards, a "stout old rabbit" with a wand in its teeth hops out from a hole beneath the stump and leaves the kingdom.

The Tale of the Three Brothers

The story is about three brothers who, travelling together, reach an impassable river. They make a magical bridge over the river. Halfway across the bridge, they meet the personification of Death who is angry for losing another three victims. He pretends to be impressed by them and grants each a wish as a reward. The eldest brother asks for an unbeatable duelling wand. The middle brother asks for the ability to resurrect the dead. The youngest brother realises Death's intentions and asks for a way to stop Death from following him. Death gives him a cloak of invisibility. Afterwards, the brothers go their separate ways.
The eldest brother, bragging about his powerful wand, is robbed while asleep and killed. The middle brother uses his ability to bring back the woman he loved, who died before he could marry her. However, she is not happy being alive again. He kills himself to join her. As for the youngest brother, Death never manages to find him, as he stays hidden under his cloak. Many years later, the brother removes his cloak and gives it to his son. Pleased with his achievements, he greets Death as an old friend and chooses to leave together with him "as equals".

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:24 AM
Moderator Support Team

Thanks for the new thread!

are you sleepy? wanna sleep?
is that what you want?

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
Old 06-07-2020, 08:52 PM
Moderator Manager

You're welcome.

Based on the OP, the last one (The Tale of the Three Brothers), is the story we're most familiar with because of DH.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:08 PM
Moderator Support Team

Ahh, thanks for clear it up.. Thanks..

is that what you want?

Old 06-08-2020, 09:36 PM
Moderator Manager

We can actually do a miniseries for each of those stories if there's a budget or clamor for it but for now, it's all good to be in this book or an audio book.

Old 06-09-2020, 06:56 PM
Moderator Support Team

And it should be like 8 episodes?

is that what you want?

Old 06-09-2020, 09:16 PM
Moderator Manager

6 or 8, it doesn't matter. As long as all the eps cover the story.

Old 06-10-2020, 06:18 PM
Moderator Support Team

Yup, that's all I want..

is that what you want?

Old 06-10-2020, 09:39 PM
Moderator Manager

Here's another drawing:

Old 06-12-2020, 02:37 PM
Moderator Support Team

The lady nearby window look over..

is that what you want?

Old 06-12-2020, 10:28 PM
Moderator Manager

Well that man was getting something from that tree branch that probably belongs to that lady's property. He probably didn't ask permission.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:55 AM
Moderator Support Team

Oh yeah, I didn't see that coming..

is that what you want?

Old 06-13-2020, 10:21 PM
Moderator Manager

I might buy myself an illustrated copy of this book soon. I'm really curious to read the other stories as we're only really familiar with the Tale of the Three Brothers.

Old 06-14-2020, 10:04 AM
Moderator Support Team

I tho that you had it..

is that what you want?

Old 06-14-2020, 09:39 PM
Moderator Manager

Nope not yet. If I had it, I would've read it already.

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top