Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
What's really great about it is that we're getting even more Hogwarts canon. Not necessarily Potter related but it definitely enriches the universe even more.
Yes, I loved that part about it too. I liked knowing a little more about Hogwarts before Harry got there.

Quote:
This is how I'd do it as a movie. I'd animate it and have as a framing device H/G and R/Hr telling their kids the stories around a campfire. Five kids, five stories, it works out. They can get DR, BW, RG, and EW to do the voices. If they really wanted to, they could donate a percentage of the profits to the Children's High Level Group.
I also agree, that's a very good idea. I can see them making a movie out of these stories. Maybe not right away, but I can see it happening within the next few years.

Quote:
And it being the christmas season and a fairly inexpensive book in comparison to the others, it's bound to sell well.
I think so too. I think a lot of people will be getting this for Christmas.

[quote[]Stephenie Meyer, the American author who is often called the new J.K. Rowling, has been bumped from the top of USA TODAY's Best-Selling Books list — by J.K. Rowling.[/quote]
I like that too. Even though I like Twilight, JK is just so much better.

Quote:
I wonder if down the road a fairytale will be written in the Wizarding World about Voldemort.
Well, the story will surely be passed down, and children will know the names Voldemort and Harry Potter, but I'm not sure if it will ever end up in fairy tale form. If it did, it would take a long time, because most fairy tales, while sometimes based in part on truth, are usually more to teach some kind of lesson. And I think that making sure future generations of wizarding kids know that Voldemort was a real person, makes them take the story, and the lesson, more seriously. But they'll definitely be talking about it for a long time, so you're right there.

Quote:
What I found great about the book is how Jo also incorporated how the stories were, over time, re-written and watered down by over-protective adults who thought the original stories were too scary for children. Just as Disney has done with our fairytales.
I also really like that the 'Hairy Heart' tale was published in its "original" version. JK has always defended children's ability to handle stories with a somewhat grusome nature- I mean she was criticized for HP being too scary and about the explaining the horcruxes and ripping apart a soul into pieces- and kids and adults of every age loved it! I'm not saying that parts weren't scary, but, like in the commentary for "Hairy Heart" where she includes some of the re-written version of the story, it's absolutely ridiculous.

"Of the many different lives that can be lived, which is the one that's going to inspire you?"- Naomi Barr
Old 12-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
JK has always defended children's ability to handle stories with a somewhat grusome nature- I mean she was criticized for HP being too scary and about the explaining the horcruxes and ripping apart a soul into pieces- and kids and adults of every age loved it!
I completely agree with you. I think it's absolutely ridiculous when you have people like Laura Mallory come around and tell children what they should read and what not. It's unfair for her to assume that it's her "job" to protect kids that aren't her own from things that she doesn't even have a clue about. Harry Potter is a fantastic novel for children to read, with morals that are actually good for them to learn.

I mean hell, you've got Twilight which tells a story of a girl willing to loose her humanity for a guy that practically stalks her and no one is trying to get that out of school libraries. The world is messed up...

Anyway...gah I can't wait to read this book... And seeing a movie on it would really be tons of fun.

Dean&Castiel

_avi:unknown
Old 12-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Total Fan

When I was reading it, I was imagining Mrs. Weasley reading them to Ron when he was young.

"Of the many different lives that can be lived, which is the one that's going to inspire you?"- Naomi Barr
Old 12-16-2008, 05:18 AM
Fan Forum Star

I wonder if the Bard ever wrote a grusome tale about spiders. It might have scared ickle Ron so much that it cultivated his fear we know so well now.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Fan

^ Oh poor Ron. I totally thought Lucius Malfoy = Laura Mallroy in one of the stories

icon:goutdevodka
Old 12-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Total Fan

Yeah, I liked that Lucius and another Malfoy were mentioned in Dumbledore's commentary. It added a bit to their family history, which I liked.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:06 AM
Fan Forum Star

Oh dear. I guess I wasn't obvious with my obsession all things Potter because my friend last night gave me my christmas gift. -> the Beedle Book. Oh well, her heart was in the right place. I guess she didn't know I would have gotten it the first day.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Addicted Fan

I bought my copy of TToBtB today!!
I'll start reading it after I finish The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.
"There was a clatter as the basilisk fangs cascaded out of Hermione’s arms. Running at Ron, she flung them around his neck and kissed him full on the mouth. Ron threw away the fangs and broomstick he was holding and responded with such enthusiasm that he lifted Hermione off her feet."
~Ron♥Hermione~
Avi by Fidelian
Old 12-31-2008, 03:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileycat (View Post)
Oh dear. I guess I wasn't obvious with my obsession all things Potter because my friend last night gave me my christmas gift. -> the Beedle Book. Oh well, her heart was in the right place. I guess she didn't know I would have gotten it the first day.
I know what that's like. So many people were all being "subtle" when it came to buying me HP books for birthdays or whatever and I'm like "Clearily you don't know the extent of my obsession if you are considering it."

I got the book today!! FINALY!

Dean&Castiel

_avi:unknown
Old 12-31-2008, 07:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

Awesome.

I gave my niece the book for Christmas and I told her how special it is. She seemed pretty interested once I told her this very book is mentioned and holds a very important message that Harry discovers in the final book.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Fan Forum Star

Video from the Tales book launch in Scotland with Jo.

YouTube - J.K. Rowling discusses The Tales of Beedle the Bard

Answers questions!

I love the Hogwarts one where she corrects someone who thought the school was based on his school. When she said no it wasn't he wrote back and said yes it was and she was wrong! Imagine that!
YouTube - J.K. Rowling at The Tales of Beedle the Bard launch

Book signing
YouTube - J.K. Rowling signs The Tales of Beedle the Bard at launch

I love it when she reads from the book. It makes me feel like a kid again.
YouTube - J.K. Rowling reads from The Tales of Beedle the Bard
Old 03-10-2009, 04:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

Coolness!
Quote:
The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling has been nominated for this year's Galaxy British Book awards in the category of Children's Book Of The Year. She faces competition from; Dinosaurs Love Underpants (Claire Freedman & Ben Cort), Horrid Henry Robs the Bank (Francesca Simon), Captain Underpants & the Preposterous Plight (Dav Pilkey), Artemis Fowl & the Time Paradox (Eoin Colfer)
source ~ snitchseeker.com
Old 03-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Elite Fan

I had gotten this for Christmas and I found every tale to be a great read. I think my favorite though was The Fountain of Fair Fortune.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:53 PM
CHH
Extreme Fan

I wish she gone and written all thirty something tales she was originally going to write.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

New Show at Diagon Alley!

Quote:
The first show will bring to life two fables from The Tales of Beedle the Bard – “The Fountain of Fair Fortune” and “The Tale of the Three Brothers” (which was featured in the seventh film, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1”). Performed by a troupe of four from the Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts, this trunk show uses scenic pieces, props and puppetry fabricated by Emmy-award-winning designer Michael Curry.
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley opens this summer at Universal Studios Florida.

Oh wow!

Last edited by baileycat; 06-04-2014 at 01:24 PM
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top