Old 04-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Loyal Fan

Maybe it started here?

Credit

Last edited by geoizz545; 04-09-2012 at 01:02 PM
Old 04-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by calls me home (View Post)
Secondary to things like the aftermath of the war, how things changed in the wizarding world from the time of Voldemort at large to Voldemort fallen and how everyone was better off with him gone, how people grieved with the losses of their loved ones and how/if it brought them together, were there still certain prejudices or did people overcome certain misgivings, what happened to the characters beyond the generic facts we got and how their (if any) contributions to the wizarding let them stand out on their own, why it was important we had learned of them having certain goals for themselves and did they accomplish any of them.
I get people feeling unsatisfied with what we were given as an epilogue. (I wouldn't have minded more elaborate stuff) but I get why Jo ended it the way she did. In a way, she surprises to end a series with such a ..well...mundane moment. Seeing the kids off to boarding school. But that's, what in a way, makes it unusual I guess. After all the hardship, the loss, the fighting, all the crap Harry had to go through, unsure if he could ever get a happy future, here he is, years later. Happy, living his life, having a family of his own and doing very normal things like dropping his kids off. I thought it was poignant.

Damn I haven't been here in AGEEEESSSSSS.

Last edited by Oº°‘¨Laura¨‘°ºO; 04-09-2012 at 02:40 PM
Old 04-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

After everything they'd been through, they deserved to have a good life with their own families.

» Steve Rogers ♥ Natasha Romanoff
Old 04-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Secondary to things like the aftermath of the war, how things changed in the wizarding world from the time of Voldemort at large to Voldemort fallen and how everyone was better off with him gone, how people grieved with the losses of their loved ones and how/if it brought them together, were there still certain prejudices or did people overcome certain misgivings, what happened to the characters beyond the generic facts we got and how their (if any) contributions to the wizarding let them stand out on their own, why it was important we had learned of them having certain goals for themselves and did they accomplish any of them.
While Harry is of course the central figure of the entire stories, we have grown to love the other characters just as well and that's why I prefer that we should have been given some finality to them but after reading the epilogue, it just made us wonder more. How were Neville & Luna? From that time after the war until that moment at Platform 9 3/4, how have Harry, Ginny, Ron & Hermione been? I did get an ending I would have wanted but I still can't help but wonder what happened in-between you know? Especially how JKR would've imagined happened during those times.

I squeed seeing this the first time. Oh those days.

Witness the magical sprouting of the Purple Acorns
As hopes turn into reality

Old 04-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I did get an ending I would have wanted but I still can't help but wonder what happened in-between you know?
There's so much I'd love to know and read about!

Old 04-11-2012, 02:15 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Oh I so agree it wasn't love at first sight. I believe they were genuinely annoyed by each other for the early part of PS/SS. Their friendship wasn't even "friends at first sight" so it only makes sense that it would be even longer for an actual romance to develop.

I like that their kiss happened just because it felt right. It didn't matter a war was going on or that Harry was right there, all that mattered was them.

Definitely It was anything BUT love at first sight, I think it was something very far from the instant connection or even friendship at first sight, but there was also a certain interest that was there from the start, the interest they had for each other that started with a conflict and continued with the development of their relationship in a rather unusual way, with all the bickering included, with them wanting each other's attention, with them trying to annoy each other or mostly thinking that they want to annoy each other when for true they wanted each other's approval. Their feelings progressed way too intensely and were way too complecated for people so young, that's why they not always dealt with them right. Especially when it comes to Ron who always saw Hermione as some kind of weird gift, a helping hand and an unusual girl who was smarter and better than everyone (at least in his eyes. And his desperate desire to measure up to her, to deserve to be around her often resulted in him being mad at her for fitting his standard of utter perfection) that he didn't know how to treat right, and he did treat her in both right and wrong ways before finally being able to understand how he should behave and what he felt and working through his insecurities, maturing as a person while Hermione matured with him.

And as always, I agree with you on the Epiloge. Like I said before I get the idea of giving everyone a happy ending, but while the core four having familes and kids is a good thing in general sense of that word, the series also revolved around many other important (and in fact much more important than romance) things, such as muggle born wizards struggling with prejudices against them, the Ministry being often corrupted, etc. And all those things imo had to be resolved in the end of the last book and were more important than the number of and names of main characters' kids.

Quote:
While Harry is of course the central figure of the entire stories, we have grown to love the other characters just as well and that's why I prefer that we should have been given some finality to them but after reading the epilogue, it just made us wonder more.
Exactly how I felt While the Epiloge was supposed to give some kind of a closure to the series, it only left more questions mainly about other characters that were not mentioned in it.

icon: swanspirate@tumblr
Old 04-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Moderator Manager

Old 04-13-2012, 02:13 AM
Loyal Fan

Haha, this were lovely and funny gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary ksand (View Post)

And as always, I agree with you on the Epiloge. Like I said before I get the idea of giving everyone a happy ending, but while the core four having familes and kids is a good thing in general sense of that word, the series also revolved around many other important (and in fact much more important than romance) things, such as muggle born wizards struggling with prejudices against them, the Ministry being often corrupted, etc. And all those things imo had to be resolved in the end of the last book and were more important than the number of and names of main characters' kids.
How can this things resolved in a book?

Did the Wizarding world change after the first War? No.
Did our world changed after Hitler died? No.
Waiting from Jo to resolve something like this, is a little too much. People don't change in one day or 20 years or a century and Jo of course knew that. They don't change because good people are in power instead of bad. Corruption, discrimination, racism, injustice is and always will be a part of human society.

Jo picked a symbolic day to end her series. It wasn't about giving answers.

And lastly, every good book leaves you with more questions than answers.

Last edited by geoizz545; 04-13-2012 at 07:15 AM
Old 04-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoizz545 (View Post)
And lastly, every good book leaves you with more questions than answers.
Well said.

And I think what Mary meant was that since it was the last book, some sort of ending is expected. Some issues have to be resolved but not entirely everything of course. I still am happy we got confirmation of how many children, the names, etc BUT I just wished I had more answers than questions because my imaginations always run wild.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Elite Fan

I didn't mean that something would change in one day, but I expected more information to be given on the wizarding world and how it changed after the war because some changes obviously accured just like when it comes to our world after the World War. And obviously all the characters who's lives we followed for 10 years chose their paths in life as they entered the adulthood and that imo was something that should have been told about. I followed Hermione's story to get to know what kind of job she chooses or what kind of decision she makes regarding her life and obviously I would have been equally happy with her becoming a successful professional or being a happy houswife but I wanted to KNOW what she chose because without knowing it folliwing her journey for 7 books seemed a little pointless. I wnated to know HOW Harry got past his psychological trauma he had to endure because it was not only still there but was worse than ever especially after he lose so many people and obviously blamed himself for their deaths since we know he had such tendency. I know that eventually he recovered but I wanted to know HOW. How Ron managed to deal with his brother's death, how George's life went after Fred's death. "All was well" doens't do it for me shrug: Show vs. tell. And JKR only told us, but didn't show when it comes to the Epiloge.

credit

Old 04-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Elite Fan

And considering there was 19 years to work with, there's no excuse to not have at least be a little bit of an idea of what the general state of the world was in after the war. "All was well" does nothing for me either. What exactly is "all" and how was it well? I don't know, the epilogue didn't say a damn thing. The whole being left wanting more thing is fine I think if the questions left unanswered are more trivial. I'd love to know how Ron proposed to Hermione, or if she proposed to him. But the romance wasn't the main theme of the series so if I don't get an answer to that, that's fine. I have no problem being left to imagine that on my own. But I feel like it was gaping holes of important information that were missing when those things should've been wrapped up, like a final is supposed to do. Unless of course JKR was planning an open ending all along, but I don't think she was if she even included an epilogue at all. I also feel like there wouldn't have been so many post-DH interviews, not just giving new information but also expanding on the epilogue, if JKR did a sufficient job of wrapping up the series. It's not that the information about who married who and how many kids they had was unimportant but it's not the basis of the series either, and certainly not all that defined the characters. They had unique personalities and individual ambitions and we learned nothing of what came of that, not even for Harry either. It's like the LOST finale all over again (though that came after HP but that's besides the point), where it was a show built on its mythology and mysteries but everything it developed was suddenly dropped in one episode. No questions were answered except for who ended up with who after all the characters eventually died because apparently 6 seasons of storytelling didn't matter when "all was well" in the afterlife.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
And considering there was 19 years to work with, there's no excuse to not have at least be a little bit of an idea of what the general state of the world was in after the war. "All was well" does nothing for me either. What exactly is "all" and how was it well? I don't know, the epilogue didn't say a damn thing. The whole being left wanting more thing is fine I think if the questions left unanswered are more trivial. I'd love to know how Ron proposed to Hermione, or if she proposed to him. But the romance wasn't the main theme of the series so if I don't get an answer to that, that's fine. I have no problem being left to imagine that on my own. But I feel like it was gaping holes of important information that were missing when those things should've been wrapped up, like a final is supposed to do. Unless of course JKR was planning an open ending all along, but I don't think she was if she even included an epilogue at all. I also feel like there wouldn't have been so many post-DH interviews, not just giving new information but also expanding on the epilogue, if JKR did a sufficient job of wrapping up the series. It's not that the information about who married who and how many kids they had was unimportant but it's not the basis of the series either, and certainly not all that defined the characters. They had unique personalities and individual ambitions and we learned nothing of what came of that, not even for Harry either. It's like the LOST finale all over again (though that came after HP but that's besides the point), where it was a show built on its mythology and mysteries but everything it developed was suddenly dropped in one episode. No questions were answered except for who ended up with who after all the characters eventually died because apparently 6 seasons of storytelling didn't matter when "all was well" in the afterlife.
Perfectly put. Especially I love your reference to Lost final because I find it to be somewhat similar. It's not like the main characters having families is not important, it's the fact that there were so many things just as important than that, things that defined the story throughout 7 books when those characters were still kids themselves so it would have been more logical to get answers to those questions instead of being told how many kids the trio had when they grew older. The story was built on so many conflicts and defeating Voldemort was only one of them and in the end it felt like all the other conflicts were left unresolved or we never got to know about the resolution of them. Plus the individual stories of characters, their choices and decisions outside of their romantic life. None of those questions were answered.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Loving all the images in here.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary ksand (View Post)
I didn't mean that something would change in one day, but I expected more information to be given on the wizarding world and how it changed after the war because some changes obviously accured just like when it comes to our world after the World War. And obviously all the characters who's lives we followed for 10 years chose their paths in life as they entered the adulthood and that imo was something that should have been told about. I followed Hermione's story to get to know what kind of job she chooses or what kind of decision she makes regarding her life and obviously I would have been equally happy with her becoming a successful professional or being a happy houswife but I wanted to KNOW what she chose because without knowing it folliwing her journey for 7 books seemed a little pointless. I wnated to know HOW Harry got past his psychological trauma he had to endure because it was not only still there but was worse than ever especially after he lose so many people and obviously blamed himself for their deaths since we know he had such tendency. I know that eventually he recovered but I wanted to know HOW. How Ron managed to deal with his brother's death, how George's life went after Fred's death. "All was well" doens't do it for me shrug: Show vs. tell. And JKR only told us, but didn't show when it comes to the Epiloge.
I guess that's why it waws the Epilogue and not the entire chapter - we're going to get some closure but there will be unanswered questions. I remember reading the book and was wondering as I knew that I had less pages to read how it would end. Initally I did love the Epilogue but after putting the book down, that's when the questions finally sunk in. I understand what you mean by HOW and that's also my point in wanting to know everything that happened in-between the war and 19 years later.

Quote:
And considering there was 19 years to work with, there's no excuse to not have at least be a little bit of an idea of what the general state of the world was in after the war. "All was well" does nothing for me either. What exactly is "all" and how was it well? I don't know, the epilogue didn't say a damn thing. The whole being left wanting more thing is fine I think if the questions left unanswered are more trivial. I'd love to know how Ron proposed to Hermione, or if she proposed to him. But the romance wasn't the main theme of the series so if I don't get an answer to that, that's fine. I have no problem being left to imagine that on my own. But I feel like it was gaping holes of important information that were missing when those things should've been wrapped up, like a final is supposed to do. Unless of course JKR was planning an open ending all along, but I don't think she was if she even included an epilogue at all. I also feel like there wouldn't have been so many post-DH interviews, not just giving new information but also expanding on the epilogue, if JKR did a sufficient job of wrapping up the series. It's not that the information about who married who and how many kids they had was unimportant but it's not the basis of the series either, and certainly not all that defined the characters. They had unique personalities and individual ambitions and we learned nothing of what came of that, not even for Harry either.
Maybe JKR wrote it that way to make people curious about what really happened in-between. She was going to have this Epilogue and make people ask what happened in-between. But we'll never know. I don't think she meant for it to have an open ending as we all know who ended up with who (the others she confirmed through interviews). If the Epilogue was the worst part of how JKR wrote the books, then it's fine, I think.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Colin Hanks
Rupert Grint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Fate (View Post)
Loving all the images in here.
me too

Violence is a choice a man makes and he alone is responsible for it. ~ Patrick Stewart
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top