Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Moderator Manager

Do you guys think they've had a crush at each other the first time they met on the train or it probably wasn't until spending more time together at Hogwarts?

Witness the magical sprouting of the Purple Acorns
As hopes turn into reality

Old 04-06-2012, 01:36 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Do you guys think they've had a crush at each other the first time they met on the train or it probably wasn't until spending more time together at Hogwarts?
No, I don't think it was love at first sight , but they did made an impression to each other on the train. Good or bad impression is a matter of perspective, but as it turned out, the most important person they met on that train that first day, wasn't Harry, but each other.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

It definitely wasn't love at first sight, and they were too young for that then anyway.

That's what I love about them, the fact they grew together and got to know each other through a strong friendship first. Their relationship was so organic.

» Steve Rogers ♥ Natasha Romanoff
Old 04-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Elite Fan

I definitely don't see it as love at first sight. I see RHr relationship to be a very realistic journey from childhood into adulthood with the two of them slowly falling for each other in a romantic way, because even when they were just frinds there was some kind of connection different from the one either of them had with Harry, there was this desire from both sides to impress each other, they were both wanting each other's approval and attention even when they wouldn't admit it or would try to hide it. At some points they didn't know how to deal with their emotions because of being so young but they matured through the years and managed to understand their feelings better and finally accepted them by the end and decided to give each other a real chance to be together because that was what they really wanted. So I think RHr was a very long journey of falling in love and realizing it but it was not love at first sight, it was something that kept progressing and buring with more passion each year, every day and every moment they spent together.

Quote:
This is just me personally though but unless I heard otherwise, I'd accept that RHr stayed together. The epilogue didn't reassure me or anything like that because I didn't have any doubts. I don't think JKR would've spent 7 books developing a couple and then not have them stay together. It's not that romance was included in the epilogue that bothered me, it's that nothing else was focused on when these weren't even romance novels. I just think who ended up with who, how many kids they had, should've been secondary.
Absolutely agreed. I personally did not need any confirmations about RHr staying together because imo JKR wrote their story and developed it through the years in such a fantastic and convincing way that there couldn't be any doubt they were it for each other and would make it through anything. Because it honestly wouldn't make sense to build an epic story for 7 years only to have them broken up in the future. Had the Epiloge not happened or been different (without 19 years later flashforward) I would have still accepted RHr as a total and absolute undeniable endgame. I too think that the series were not about romance and that's why it didn't seem fitting that the Epiloge was all about it. There were so many other things left to tell and imo they should have been told instead of who married whom and how many kids they had. That being said, I don't think happily ever after type of ending is bad, I just think that it didn't fit this particular series.

icon: swanspirate@tumblr
Old 04-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Moderator Manager

I love what everyone said here. I agree, definitely not love at first sight. But what a journey for both of them. It definitely took them time to realize their feelings for each other plus they never acted on it. While we've seen how their friendship developed, we also saw their feelings evolve and that's what's frustrating about it. They always bicker, it's like their protective wall against each other because they are both afraid of what they're feeling which I find really sweet. This is what I love about JKR's story for these two - it's well thought of and she really meant for it to happen with subtle hints here & there in all the books.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I love what everyone said here. I agree, definitely not love at first sight. But what a journey for both of them. It definitely took them time to realize their feelings for each other plus they never acted on it. While we've seen how their friendship developed, we also saw their feelings evolve and that's what's frustrating about it. They always bicker, it's like their protective wall against each other because they are both afraid of what they're feeling which I find really sweet. This is what I love about JKR's story for these two - it's well thought of and she really meant for it to happen with subtle hints here & there in all the books.
They didn't always bicker, but when they did... they did it with style
Old 04-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Colin Hanks
Rupert Grint

Quote:
gods no they were 11 then!

Violence is a choice a man makes and he alone is responsible for it. ~ Patrick Stewart
Old 04-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Moderator Manager

I miss them!

Old 04-08-2012, 06:20 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for the fan arts!

Count me in on it not being love at first sight. Even though the feelings were there beforehand I think in GoF was really when they came to the surface (in terms of realising it was more than friendship). Since in the books, their friendship was evident, but it came through in the Yule Ball scenes (and also Mrs. Weasley's disapproval of Rita's rumours).

Twitter: nlm78
Old 04-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Part-Time Fan

Not love at first sight. Weren't they quite young for that?

The one thing I love about their relationship is how it grew and developed with everyone second of their life.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Moderator Manager

And I like that nobody pushed them to be together. It just happened at the right place and at the right time. Yes, Harry knew about their feelings but he let them realize it.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm glad they waited until Voldemort was defeated before they officially got together. Not that they were consciously planning it that way, but that's what makes the kiss and all of that even sweeter. It happened when it was supposed to, they got together when the timing was right, when they didn't have to fear of losing the other one in the war anymore.

» Steve Rogers ♥ Natasha Romanoff
Old 04-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Moderator Manager

JKR defimitely gave us a setting for the kiss when we least expect it. So I was pleasantly surprised it happened during the war AND in-front of Harry.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Part-Time Fan

In the books, I loved Harry's reaction when they kissed. "OI! There's a war going on here!"
Old 04-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Elite Fan

Oh I so agree it wasn't love at first sight. I believe they were genuinely annoyed by each other for the early part of PS/SS. Their friendship wasn't even "friends at first sight" so it only makes sense that it would be even longer for an actual romance to develop.

I like that their kiss happened just because it felt right. It didn't matter a war was going on or that Harry was right there, all that mattered was them.

Quote:
Secondary in terms of what?
Secondary to things like the aftermath of the war, how things changed in the wizarding world from the time of Voldemort at large to Voldemort fallen and how everyone was better off with him gone, how people grieved with the losses of their loved ones and how/if it brought them together, were there still certain prejudices or did people overcome certain misgivings, what happened to the characters beyond the generic facts we got and how their (if any) contributions to the wizarding let them stand out on their own, why it was important we had learned of them having certain goals for themselves and did they accomplish any of them.