Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2015, 08:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

https://www.pottermore.com/features/...ng-ford-anglia

Quote:
How do you make a car fly? If you're Arthur Weasley, you enchant a Muggle vehicle. If only it were that easy for movie directors...

Alas, the filmmakers behind Chamber of Secrets had to find another way.

The light blue car (license number 7990 TD) that appears in the second film was an authentic 1962 Ford Anglia 105E, built in Ford's factory in the United Kingdom. Special effects supervisor John Richardson took out the engine and gutted the vehicle to make it lighter, and then fitted it onto a rotating crane with a special joint called a gimbal head.

This let the filmmakers rotate, pitch, and roll the car backward and forward. They then fit the gimbal head onto the back of an American pickup truck with specially adapted suspension and outriggers so that they could create all kinds of flying effects while on the move.

The Ford Anglia made the Muggle news when, in 2005, the press reported that the car had been stolen from a film studio and found in a ruined castle in Cornwall. In fact, the car reported stolen was just one of many prop cars used in the making of the film.

'We had 16 different Anglias,' reveals John, 'all of which were differently adapted.'

Some of them were cut in half to allow for filming inside, others had racing engines for high-speed driving, and others were in various stages of being smashed for the scene where the car crashes into the Whomping Willow. According to John, the special effects team also built 'wild' cars that had been running around in the Forbidden Forest for a year.
Extracted from Harry Potter Film Wizardry
Old 09-29-2015, 01:45 AM
Moderator Manager

https://www.pottermore.com/writing-b...scottish-rugby

Witness the magical sprouting of the Purple Acorns
As hopes turn into reality

Old 10-02-2015, 05:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

Golden Snitch info - https://www.pottermore.com/features/...-golden-snitch
Old 10-03-2015, 12:49 AM
Moderator Manager

All these updates/new info are great but I just want my house back.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

Epilogue illustration from the old site!

Lots more bonus material through the ebooks now!
http://www.hypable.com/harry-potter-...onus-material/
Old 10-10-2015, 09:00 AM
Moderator Manager

We finally get a birthday for Sirius.

https://www.pottermore.com/explore-t...y/sirius-black

Old 10-14-2015, 07:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

https://www.pottermore.com/features/...-Mr-Ollivander
Old 10-14-2015, 07:37 PM
Moderator Manager

https://search.itunes.apple.com/WebO...th=HarryPotter

Old 10-22-2015, 02:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Here's a first look at the official artwork for new stage play ‘Harry Potter and the Cursed Child'.

Pottermore can now reveal the official artwork for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, the new play based on an original story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:53 PM
Moderator Manager

Link here: https://www.pottermore.com/news/curs...twork-revealed

Old 10-23-2015, 04:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

https://www.pottermore.com/news/curs...y-potter-story

Quote:
‘Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' is the official eighth Potter story and the first to be presented on stage.

It’s official. The Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and we have the synopsis to share with you:

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

When we last saw Harry he was waving off his eldest children, James Sirius and Albus Severus, at Platform Nine and Three-Quarters. This next exciting chapter in the story will explore Harry’s life after that moment for the very first time.

Written by Jack Thorne and directed by Olivier and Tony award-winner John Tiffany, the play is a brand new story written in collaboration with J.K. Rowling.

The play is in two parts, due to the ‘epic nature of the story’, and will feature a cast of over 30 actors, to be announced later.

J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany said: ‘It is very exciting to explore Harry’s world in a brand new way through the live form of theatre. Collaborating on this story is exhilarating for all of us and we can’t wait to present the eighth story at the Palace Theatre next summer.’

J.K. Rowling continued: ‘The story only exists because the right group of people came together with a brilliant idea about how to present Harry Potter on stage. I’m confident that when audiences see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child they will understand why we chose to tell this story in this way.’

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child comes to London’s West End summer 2016. Tickets go on sale online only at 11am GMT on Wednesday 28 October, on a first come first served basis to all who have registered for priority booking, and at 11am GMT on Friday 30 October to the general public.

You can still register for priority booking at HarryPotterthePlay.com to have the first opportunity to purchase tickets before they go on sale to the general public. Priority registration closes Saturday 24 October at 11.45pm BST.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:43 PM
Moderator Manager

8th Harry Potter story. More stuff coming but it's all in a play. Hopefully Pottermore can help with that for those who cannot watch it.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

https://www.pottermore.com/features/...r-to-the-stage

Quote:

My phone rings. I let the Harry Potter ringtone play for a couple beats before I pick up, just to set the scene.

‘Hello, it’s John,’ comes a lovely, lilting voice.

John Tiffany, that is. The award-winning director currently working on Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. He’s been in workshops for the play all day. It’s evening when he calls and there’s a weary happiness in his voice.

‘In all my years working in the theatre, I have never experienced anything like this,’ he says.

‘What we’re doing here is taking the biggest literary franchise the world has ever seen into theatre and it’s... Well, people are so stoked up about it. I’m conscious of bringing the fans what they love, doing this story justice and exploring the psychology of a grown up Harry Potter with the same epic sweep as the books and the films, but in a different way.’

This is a man with a Tony, an Olivier, a Drama Desk and an Obie award on his mantelpiece and yet, on the phone right now, what I hear most is a smitten Harry Potter fan deep in a project that he cares about profoundly.

‘Jack went away and came back with the first forty pages. The big thing had happened. He’d written dialogue for Jo’s characters and they sounded like themselves. He’d brought them back. I can’t tell you what it was like to see that.’

The Jack, to which J.K. Rowling has entrusted Harry, is writer Jack Thorne who, as well being a world-class wordsmith, is a huge Potter fan. When he calls, he is relieved to be able to talk about the production with someone new. I know that because he tells me.

‘It’s such a relief to talk about the play with someone new,’ Jack says with such infectious enthusiasm, I smile at his obvious joy so broadly that my face hurts a little.

‘Sometimes I can’t believe it; the idea that we have written the eighth story of Harry Potter. The whole time, I’ve felt this great responsibility to the previous seven stories. Theatre is very different to film; we’ve had to find our own way into the stories. We are starting to see it all come together in workshops now and it’s just wonderful,’ he says.

If Jack and John are this excited now, imagine how that will build as we get closer to show time...

Look out for part two of the Pottermore Correspondent’s interview with Jack Thorne and John Tiffany on Tuesday 27 October, and head to HarryPotterthePlay.com for more on how to get tickets.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Moderator Manager

Old 10-27-2015, 05:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

https://www.pottermore.com/features/...ith-jk-rowling

Quote:

Cursed Child director John Tiffany and writer Jack Thorne talk to the PMC about their creative collaboration with J.K. Rowling.

John Tiffany first met J.K. Rowling in 1995. One of the Edinburgh cafés in which she wrote Harry Potter was in the Traverse Theatre where he worked. They were about to make it big – she in literature, he in theatre – but back then they were just strangers who exchanged the odd smile.

‘Once the book came out, she wasn’t hanging around cafes so I never saw her since Harry Potter became Harry Potter, until last January,’ John tells me, beaming and leaning back slightly on his chair with a boyish restlessness. He spent those twenty years becoming the celebrated director of productions Black Watch and Once, amongst others.

It’s just one of those exquisite little twists of fate that the next time they met was to collaborate on Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

‘I’d asked both sets of kids in my life, my three nephews and my godchildren, whether I should do this show. They’d all gone through Harry Potter and they all said “We’ll kill you if you don’t”’. So the journey began.

‘I knew he was the writer I wanted to work with,’ John says, pointing at the man across the table – British writer Jack Thorne. They worked together on the 2013 theatre adaptation of Let the Right One In, which accounts for the infectious camaraderie between them.

Right now, John and Jack are on a lunch break between workshops for the Cursed Child. We’re sitting at a table covered in scripts, highlighters and blunt lead pencils.

‘I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I’d do anything he asked me to do,’ Jack says, pointing his thumb back at John.

‘Oh, stop it,’ John says and turns to me. ‘We went to Edinburgh to Jo’s house – Jack and I. Then I sort of watched the love affair begin. You know, it’s like taking your best friend to meet your new partner and then realising... Well, it was two writers meeting, you don’t get a look in.’

L to R: John Tiffany, J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne. Photography Debra Hurford Brown, ©J.K. Rowling 2015

‘I’d read all the books in my twenties and I’d go to the cinema and watch all the films by myself. I was deeply in love with Potter already, so the chance to do this...’ says Jack, like he still can’t believe J.K. Rowling has given him characters from those books and films to write onto the stage.

‘We started talking about ideas and her generosity in the way she listened to what was inside our heads, and then fed into that with her brilliant mind, was incredible. You were very clear back then, John, that you didn’t want to do something historical.’

‘No prequels!’ says John, echoing J.K. Rowling’s Twitter account. ‘But also, I knew from seeing the excitement in the kids I’d shared the books with that we had to bring darkness back. There had to be new jeopardy.’

The three of them set the plot that day in J.K. Rowling’s writing room. They strung together the narrative then and there in notebooks and then Jack and John flew back to London to get started.

‘We talked a lot, which was really helpful,’ says Jack, when I ask him about the task of writing dialogue for Harry Potter. ‘I read the books over and over and then tried to write things down on paper...’ He sighs. ‘Ah, it’s awesome, I mean, it’s so much fun.’

Once Jack, John and J.K. Rowling had locked in a story, they had to find a stage to play it out on. Why did they choose the Palace Theatre then, I ask.

‘It chose us, I think,’ says John. I mean, it’s exciting to imagine anyone going to see Harry Potter there. It’s a Gothic theatre, there’s a majesty there and it has this Hogwarts feel to it.’

The excitement in John’s face is real. The quivering is Jack’s voice is genuine. These are two accomplished and talented men but on this play, more than anything they’ve ever worked on, they’re making magic and are both enchanted by that.

It’s obvious why J.K. Rowling has entrusted Harry Potter’s future to Jack and John; they’re the perfect pair to bring Harry Potter back.

Tickets for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child will be available to buy online only from HarryPotterthePlay.com from 11am GMT on Wednesday 28 October, on a first come first served basis to all who have registered for priority booking, and at 11am GMT on Friday 30 October to the general public.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top