Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

OOTP Book Discussion Thread

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
This thread is for the discussion of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix book.

Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix: chapters

Please keep on topic to only the plot of the fifth book so you don't spoil any newcomers to the rest of the series who haven't read any further. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ootp Is actualy my favorite.
For one thing, its when we see Ginny shine for the first time..
And Second, it's the biggest one..
I miss Sirius!!

Dean&Castiel

_avi:unknown
Old 08-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Dedicated Fan

OOTP is my favorite HP book, too. I like especially the scenes at Grimmauld Place - and Tonks!

When I first read it I really was shocked at the end of the book. I could hardly belive, that JKR killed Sirius, who just became an attachment figure to Harry. (That were the days we weren't yet accustomed to important-character-deaths in every book... )
LORELAI: (cuts Luke off)...That hamster was defective. Period. Plus, they only live like three years, I looked it up. And...and...and he would have been dead by now anyway. So, world, stop with the hamster already.
LUKE: But the turtle....

- Su -
Old 08-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I know... I couldn't Believe Sirius was gone...
Poor harry! I wanted to hug him! He keeps loosing people he cares about..

Dean&Castiel

Old 08-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Absolute Fan

This was my favorite until recently (book 7 has taken over the top spot). It was such an emotional book.

Poor Harry having to deal with Voldemort invading his mind and having to deal with what Voldemort was feeling ... it was almost too much for him to handle. That's why he was under so much stress and yelling all the time. In addition, being left in the dark for so long and Dumbledore seemingly ignoring him, it's understandable where Harry was coming from and why he was acting that way ... at least for me it was.

The most emotional part of the book for me was Harry trying to deal with Sirius' death ... him raging against Dumbledore was heartbreaking. Practically from the moment he realized what had happened to Sirius, to attacking Bellatrix, to Dumbledore and Voldemort's duel, to Voldemort trying to possess him, to destroying Dumbledore's office, to finding out the full meaning of the prophecy was just ... I don't even know how to describe it ...

Initially, after I had read it, I just knew the movie would not live up to the book ... or at least the part where Dumbledore explains the prophecy to Harry would not be done right. And I was correct ... sort of. Surprisingly, I think the movie does work (some things it does better than the book), but it could have been much better, deeper.

The only thing I knew for sure was I did not want to have it fresh in my mind before seeing the movie, but I'm okay with going back to it now. I need to re-read the whole thing. I re-read parts of it after the movie came out, but another full read is required.
Love Psych and fanfic? Check out Psychfic. It has the best fan fiction I have ever read.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It was completely understandable to me why Harry was so angry. I mean, If you think that Harry has no right to be upset then you clearly haven't understood him right. I mean, in only 4 years he's dealt with facing Voldemort twice, and loosing a friend. It's harsh, and if he wants to yell then that should be perfectly acceptable!

I agree with you. The movie was good, but It didn't cut it when it came to the book. But I think this movie was more canon compared to GOF..or maybe that's just me.

Dean&Castiel

Old 08-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Absolute Fan

Although most of the anger was Harry's, he was channeling some of Voldemort's too.

Add to that the loneliness he felt with Dumbledore ignoring him, Umbridge calling him a liar (and torturing him for it), many students distancing themselves from him and, after finding out about the Voldemort connection, Harry wanting to get away so the others wouldn't be in danger.

Oh and need I mention Harry's overall confusion about what the heck was happening?

Yeah, not a good year.
Love Psych and fanfic? Check out Psychfic. It has the best fan fiction I have ever read.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Dedicated Fan

While reading the book, I sometimes had to lay it aside and calm down when reading passages where Umbridge appeared. These evil things are so well written...
LORELAI: (cuts Luke off)...That hamster was defective. Period. Plus, they only live like three years, I looked it up. And...and...and he would have been dead by now anyway. So, world, stop with the hamster already.

- Su -
Old 08-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Me too. She was so unfair. Stupid Toad Face...

Definetly. Harry needed a hug. It was a tough year.

Dean&Castiel

Old 08-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Extreme Fan

i love this book, its one of my favourites from the series. Sirius dying made me cry and i think it was the first book to ever do that to me
Old 08-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Elite Fan

What I love the most about this book is that Ginny talks and does stuff. And that Ron & Draco appear a lot.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Me too. I love the Chocolate In the Library scene, when Ginny gave Harry some hope. And ofcourse the part when Harry thinks he's possessed and Ginny tells him that She could tell him what it's like. I just loved it when she said "Lucky You" when he says he forgot.
Very good Moments for Ginny's character and a good Settup for the future .

Dean&Castiel

Old 08-06-2007, 06:26 AM
Dedicated Fan

Yes, the Ginny scenes are nice. What I also love (besides everything with Tonks ) is the scene, where Sirius explaines the Black familiy tree to Harry. It's such a special, deep going moment for them.

- Su -
Old 08-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_in_summer (View Post)
While reading the book, I sometimes had to lay it aside and calm down when reading passages where Umbridge appeared. These evil things are so well written...
I completely agree. JKR wrote a great character to hate.

Like many of you mentioned, it was nice to see more Ginny in this book. And all the DA moments were very cool, IMO.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_in_summer (View Post)
Yes, the Ginny scenes are nice. What I also love (besides everything with Tonks ) is the scene, where Sirius explaines the Black familiy tree to Harry. It's such a special, deep going moment for them.
Oh definetly. The scenes between Harry and Sirius were always so great. I really didn't see his death coming, it was really harsh...

Dean&Castiel

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top