Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Dedicated Fan

Yea James was a pureblood.
"He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the center of time and can see the turn of the universe...and...he's wonderful"

Old 08-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Fan

Rebelious?Nah!: Sure shug! You're up there!

Isnt it sad that I couldnt remember if he was or not?

I need to take a refresher course,

I feel like that's why we need some sort of prequel, ya know? Cuz like, everyone thinks James never grew up: I feel like he would've been a great dad, and, though he and Sirius would've definitely done some things that Lily wouldnt have approved of, it wouldnt have been things that would've changed Harry for the worse.
>--#413--->
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
Old 08-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittmyster (View Post)
Rebelious?Nah!: Sure shug! You're up there!

Isnt it sad that I couldnt remember if he was or not?

I need to take a refresher course,

I feel like that's why we need some sort of prequel, ya know? Cuz like, everyone thinks James never grew up: I feel like he would've been a great dad, and, though he and Sirius would've definitely done some things that Lily wouldnt have approved of, it wouldnt have been things that would've changed Harry for the worse.
Agreed. I think that's easy to see from the letter in DH. Lily grew to love Sirius, however long that took and thought both he and James were good for Harry. James had to ahve grown up at some point otherwise he wouldn't have married Lily or had Harry.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Fan

Exactly!
>--#413--->
Old 08-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Dedicated Fan

Elvendork agrees!

We must have a prequel.

I think James would have been a great dad, and Sirius a great godfather. Sirius is kind of like the uncle that gives you a lot of candy, even though it's bad for you, you know, all the little forbidden things. And Lily would scold him, and James would just laugh it off. We seriously need a prequel!

~ H/G ~ J/L ~

Old 08-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Fan

That we do!

I'm serious...I forgot so much...was it Sirius who gave him the broom stick when he was little?
>--#413--->
Old 08-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I think Sirius often got annoyed with Wormtail, but I don't really think it would ahve caused fights at all between him and James. I think Sirius in his own probably even liked to take the mick or slightly bully one of his friends. Wormtail most likely provided this quite regularly. I think it's easy to look back in hindsight, as Sirius does, and say that Wormtail was untrustworthy. Probably at the time Sirius didn't question it. No one else did, not even Dumbledore or McGonagal. Even Remus didn't question that it was Sirius who betrayed James and Lily. The plan Wormtail used to escape detection was so cunning it was really out of his league, I'd imagine Voldemort himself thought it up, and it worked. It fooled everyone.
I don't see them getting into huge fights, but to me as close as James and Sirius were, I don't see them as being that a like. They seem very different to me. But incredibly connected, with the same interests, and like brothers.
I've always thought of james as a much lighter, more idealistic character than sirius. More of a leader because I don't see Sirius caring about being a leader and much more of a dreamer.

In relation to wormtail I think James would get a tad annoyed but they definitely wouldn't like come to blows.

Quote:
They wouldn’t have abandoned him no way in hell lol They where way too loyal to do that. They believed him a true friend and they would never abandon a true friend. However I find it hard to believe that they wouldn’t be at least a little bit hurt – they wouldn’t stop talking to him or anything like that but I think they would say things like you could have trusted us etc etc And because James held friendship and loyalty on such a high authority he was bound to be a little bit hurt by it – but he would never abandon him or anything like that. Yea the wizarding world held a huge prejudice against werewolves but that’s the whole point the marauders where primarily a group of rejects (except James) which is why they probably thought he would have just told them. Lupin not telling them is completely justifiable and I actual agree with him not telling them however James was very much in to trust and loyalty which would also make him being a little upset justifiable. But then again maybe he wouldn’t be I guess he may just forget about all that and be more comforting like a good friend
Well I don't think Sirius would be mad because I think during the second year Sirius would still have some of his own secrets, not a lot at least with james, but probably a few ones about how truly dark his family is. During Voldemorts uprising, I don't think many people would go around talking about how evil their family is, and again I think Sirius would be ashamed especially with james as his family is near perfect.
However I do think James would be hurt and upset because I see him as the type of person who believes friends should be family and therefore no secrets, but I definitely don't think he would ever abandon Remus.
And james idealistic views are shown very clearly in how he calls it remus furry little problem, he didn't seem to fully grasp how others might not be as accepting.

Quote:
I love Emily for all her ‘evil’ ways she really is amazing. And the little quote with it is brilliant too
I love characters who seem "evil" but are truly very caring. When Emily bought
her daughter a house and cried over rory when she was going to buy a plane, I loved her. Vicious Trollops!
Quote:
Yea I mean there’s no getting around him being arrogant and quite annoying – that is a fact. But the thing that made him such a good person was that despite his arrogance and annoying behaviour he still managed to be kind and considerate to those around him, he was able to see beyond the typical stereotypes that so many people conformed too, and for his age at the time this is a great achievement. Especially considering he was living in a time when a lot of people probably considered it way too dangerous and risky to start ignoring the stereotypes and start going against what may be called logic and instead befriending members of a dark family and half-breeds etc. I totally agree; Lilly very much saw the world as black and white, for a while she was unable to realise that the world is not divided in to good and bad people there is in fact much more to people than this. Lilly was also a type of character that would perfectly fit the expression ‘first impressions last’. The first impression she got of a person was what she based her liking or disliking of a person on. When she first met Snape he told her she was a witch and was nice to her so regardless of what he did in the future she remained his friend because of that first impression. When she first met James; James and Snape had an argument so that is what she saw James as from then on; a bully and a teaser regardless of any good he might have done in the years to come. Until of course it all finally became too much for her. And yea James was also like this to an extent; he labelled all Slytherin’s bad (although that may have been due to the times they where in) and Lupin and Sirius where good and he was unable to comprehend how anyone could doubt or dislike them, because he liked them so why shouldn’t anyone else?
Yeah lily definitely believed in first impressions. She also seems like someone who resisted change.
Quote:
I don't like Snape one bit (personality wise). I feel a bit sorry for him after DH, but not much. He's definitely no hero to me, and that's why I have problems with the name Albus Severus (I have more problems with the name for different reasons. ). Harry clearly has forgiven him for his past acts, and I just don't understand. If Lily couldn't forgive teenage Snape, how could Harry forgive adult Snape (who did cruel things and was unkinder than ever)? It baffles me.

And sure there was more to James than that, but he didn't always show that side of himself, especially in Lily's presence. Only in seventh year did he manage to become less of a prick, and show that he also had favorable qualities. But I also think Lily didn't really hate him, sure he was a git, but she knew that James detested the Dark Arts. It's also hard to see the good side of a person when they're arrogant, boasting about everything, 'stalking' you, hexing people etc...
Yea Snape wasn’t a hero if anything he was an antihero and even JKR has said this. I have a big problem with the name Albus Severus too, simply because it doesn’t make sense to me that any kid would name their child after the guy who indirectly caused the death of his mother and then claimed to love her hated his father and attempted dark magic on him and his godfather a few times. Not to mention the same guy that caused him to be an orphan and never get to know his parents and made his whole Hogwarts career a nightmare for him. I didn’t get it at all. For a while after first reading it I was like aw that’s cute but after wards I was just like what the hell that makes no sense at all.
Yeah I never liked Albus Severus. I'm glad harry forgave him but it was too much. This was man who did cause his parents deaths and hated everyone who was important to him, and bullied his friends(made hermione cry for no reason!) and did everything he could to make him miserable. Plus what an awful name for a kid. Seriously even Dumbledore, honor him some other way!!!!

I love his character but I have no pity for the man. And how "good" Jkr made him in DH just made me like him less. I used to like him a lot more. I just got so fed up by how good he was in DH and how much it was forced down our throats. I like Snape as a grey character. I don't need to see some tragic reason or twist for everything he's ever done.
Dumbledore summed it up the best when he called him pathetic. He was never remorseful for anyone but lily and he was the antihero.
I'm not denying all the good he did or that fact that he did leave the dark side, but his motives don't work for me.
And I'm really sick of people who say he's the ultimate hero of HP and so perfect and ugh. Yesterday I was on some site where people were claiming that Snape's love saved the wizarding world. Isn't that taking it a bit too far?
Yes he protected harry a lot, but it's not like he saved harrys life every year. Some people act like Snape was always secretly there whenever harry was in trouble and thats why he lived.
Now the man was there at times and I'm not denying it or lessoning it, but he's not god.

All the characters were flawed.
James could be an arrogant Prick. Sirius could be immature and rash. Lupin caused a lot of his own loneliness and almost abandoned his family! And Snape was at one point a death eater who never felt remorse for anything but lily.
And he did not deserve lily! he loved lily but he chose the darkness over her!

Quote:
I agree James was a kid and kids are idiots sometimes by the time he reached 6th/7th year he was a well grounded and all around nice person. Even during his immature days he never wanted to cause anyone any real physical danger and him saving snapes life is proof of this.
This is what annoys me about rowling sometimes. She goes too far and James being a prick is a lot more obvious than his good quality's. And thats just as bad as making snape all bad or all purified!

On a side note I love your icon Brittmyster. Keira knightly is one of my favorite actresses and she is just annoyingly stunning.
Oh and yes Sirius got harry his first broomstick.
His first and his last in book canon. Aww.
I ed the harry/Sirius family dynamic.
James and Lily dying must have been hard on harry, but as he never really knew them, Sirius was the best thing to a parent he ever got.Which is incredibly sad that his parents never really got to be his parents. I imagine it would have been harder losing him in the personal way. Maybe that sounds harsh but I lost my dad when I was 2 and to be honest it never hurt me. Like true brutal agony pain. But when my grandmother died it was awful and thats how I always figured it was with Harry.

Also maybe I'm just too much of a sirius fan but did any one else Feel harry didn't care enough that Sirius died in the sixth book? It was just like ok Sirius wouldn't want me to be sad, lets go makeout with ginny...?
And when Cedric died he was all emo about it for the entire fifth book. He didn't even like cedric!!!!
I mean I liked that he decided to be happy in like Sirius's memory or w.e. but I wanted more caring.

Angela; tumblr;

Last edited by How-very-girl629; 08-11-2008 at 09:03 PM
Old 08-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Fan

Maybe Cedric's death, he felt was more his fault, and the fact that he actually SAW him die? Versus he just saw Sirius go behind a veil....

That's my theories... I dont remember much of HBP...I really need to re-read stuff...
>--#413--->
Old 08-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah I should probably reread HBP too. I've read it the least of all the books. I had issues with that book.

Angela; tumblr;
Old 08-12-2008, 05:11 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittmyster (View Post)
That we do!

I'm serious...I forgot so much...was it Sirius who gave him the broom stick when he was little?
Yes, he gave the broomstick to Harry. The letter began with: Thank you, Thank you Sirus, or something.

I didn't think Harry was all emo because of Cedric's death alone. He never saw anyone get killed before his eyes before, and Voldemort had returned. Plus no one was keeping him informed about things. Cedric was barely mentioned in Ootp (expect in the beginning).

I agree that Harry didn't seem upset in HBP, but he still cared. He said it himself: what's the point in moping around. And Sirius appeared in the Forest in DH, so that must mean Harry still very much cared about him.

~ H/G ~ J/L ~

Last edited by Pottergirl7; 08-12-2008 at 05:23 AM
Old 08-12-2008, 07:43 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottergirl7 (View Post)
Yes, he gave the broomstick to Harry. The letter began with: Thank you, Thank you Sirus, or something.

I didn't think Harry was all emo because of Cedric's death alone. He never saw anyone get killed before his eyes before, and Voldemort had returned. Plus no one was keeping him informed about things. Cedric was barely mentioned in Ootp (expect in the beginning).

I agree that Harry didn't seem upset in HBP, but he still cared. He said it himself: what's the point in moping around. And Sirius appeared in the Forest in DH, so that must mean Harry still very much cared about him.
I agree Harry was emo because all the things that happened at the end of the school year and everything that had been going on since. He didn't really even want to talk about Cedric. He wanted to get to listen to things, and he wasn't getting that oppurtunity. I know a lot of people who really didn't like Harry in OotP, because of his angst. Personally I thought he was due for some angst, teenagers who have gone through a lot less have been tremendously worse. But this thread isn't about him, moving on.

I definitely think Harry moved on in HBP because that's what Sirius would have wanted for him. If he could talk to him Sirius would tell him to quit moping around like he did and make the most of his life while he could. In the forest scene they were all so calm waiting on what was about to happen, like Big Damn Heroes are. You can't be the big hero if you're freaking out.

James, Lily, Sirius and Remus would all want Harry to be happy. They had a chance to be that way their lives and they loved him and wouldn't want him to miss out.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Part-Time Fan

I think a prequel would show us just how far James and Sirius had come from their teen years! It would show them growing up and becoming great people who joined the OOTP. I still think they pulled pranks of each other - but all in good fun. They matured - but could still have a good time.

Albus Severus - The name is VERY predictable. I just knew that was going to be his name. Severus might have been a bad person - but he too changed. Not has much as we would have hoped/liked - but he did change. He went with the good side and turned his back on LV. He fought the keep Harry alive - if even just for Lily. It still shows he cared. Severus died trying to keep Harry alive. I think Harry realized that Severus was a great and powerful wizard who when faced with making a very hard decision - turned to the good side (the side Lily was on - even though it was too late for her).
Old 08-12-2008, 09:02 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofBooks (View Post)
I think a prequel would show us just how far James and Sirius had come from their teen years! It would show them growing up and becoming great people who joined the OOTP. I still think they pulled pranks of each other - but all in good fun. They matured - but could still have a good time.

Albus Severus - The name is VERY predictable. I just knew that was going to be his name. Severus might have been a bad person - but he too changed. Not has much as we would have hoped/liked - but he did change. He went with the good side and turned his back on LV. He fought the keep Harry alive - if even just for Lily. It still shows he cared. Severus died trying to keep Harry alive. I think Harry realized that Severus was a great and powerful wizard who when faced with making a very hard decision - turned to the good side (the side Lily was on - even though it was too late for her).
I agree that was making a real turn around. A couple of his memories show how he was upset that his double agent role meant he couldn't save lives, the Muggle Studies teacher at Hogwarts, and he couldn't believe that Dumbledore was so ready to sacrifice Harry. He was on his way. Yes it took Lily's death to turn him around, and yes he was awful to Harry a lot of the time. I think he was often mean to Harry because of James. I think he was mean to other students like Hermione and Neville cause he, like Dumbledore, knw LV would return and he had to play his role. LV would have otherwise known that Snape was lying to him. However he was making a real turn around that mattered.

Oh a prequel, why did JKR torture us with something she didn't intend to give? I really hope she changes her mind, because it has raised more questions than it answered. I know James had to have matured some, but how did he finally convince Lily to go out with him? How did Sirius feel about his best friend finally getting his dream girl? Was Remus ever considered as Secret-Keeper? Too many questions,
Old 08-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Part-Time Fan

I agree that there are still WAY TOO many questions that aren't answered.
Maybe JK is working on something right now - but does not want to tell her loyal fans so that she can surprise us! We can hope can't we!

Although Severus was "mean" to other students - he would never do anything to hurt them. He spoke the truth about Hermione being a know-it-all, and the truth hurts. He kept up his role as double agent by favoring Slytherins.
I think he was rude to Harry alot - because after all he looks A LOT like James and I am sure that Severus can see James in Harry. I think he pictures James doing wrong things and that gets in his way of treating Harry fairly.
Also, Severus must blame James for Lily's death (if James had never loved Lily they would not have gotten married and all that). Atleast that is how I see Severus thinking through things.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Dedicated Fan

I don't agree with Snape only being mean to students because he had a role as double agent. He is a generally unpleasant character, and even though he might dislike Harry because he looks a lot like james, he also partially hated Harry for the person he is. Snape may have saved his life on occasions, but he went out of his way to punish/taunt/humiliate Harry.

~ H/G ~ J/L ~

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top