Old 11-28-2004, 04:52 PM
Supreme Fan

HBP in January? I don't believe it..
Old 11-28-2004, 06:03 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by - Alex -
HBP in January? I don't believe it..
Not the release of the bok (If only!) but the release of the publication date. Which is pretty exciting as well!
Old 11-28-2004, 08:46 PM
Passionate Fan

They say that if the release date comes on january, the book probably comes out around june..
Old 11-29-2004, 03:48 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by artist
WB Campaigning to get HP3 Oscar Nods
Seriously? Wow. I thought it was a good movie, but I think Oscar nominations might be pushing it a bit. Is it blasphemous for me to say that?

And a June 2004 release of HBP? That would rock my socks and be a lot early than I was expecting it to come out, actually.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:40 AM
Addicted Fan

We might actually see something of Lucius Malfoy in GoF

(from Godrics Hollow)

Quote:
Anonymous writes "Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy), Shirley Henderson (Moaning Myrtle) and Devon Murray (Seamus Finnigan) has some juicy news for us from the set.

Isaacs has confirmed that he will be in GoF and have confirmed too that the 'Yule Ball' and 'Black Lake' scene are being filmed.

Here's a recent letter from Isaacs to his fans:

I'm doing a spit and a cough in Harry Potter in February For the Potter fans you'll remember that Lucius is only on 2 pages of the book so, proportionately, I'm barely in the film but I wasn't going to miss the chance to wear my Pamela Anderson wig again. If only to make sure that I can remember the voice for number five.

Even though Henderson said that she will be in, she shared this to About.com:

Is it a smaller or bigger role than Chamber of Secrets? I don’t know because I haven’t seen a script yet. I’m waiting on that to arrive.

And last but not least, Murray on his blog has updated that they've been filming the 'Black Lake' scene as well as the 'Yule Ball' scene.

We have also been doing dance rehearsals for the Yule Ball. I am really enjoying the dancing & my dance partner,"Arielle" is a great dancer & a really nice girl. She is also one of the Beauxbaton girls in the film.

Also, punctuation marks don't live in packs!

If you made that icon let me know. I'd be happy to credit you!
Old 11-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela12

And a June 2004 release of HBP? That would rock my socks and be a lot early than I was expecting it to come out, actually.
Nope, June 2005.

Although I admit a june 2004 release would have rocked my socks!

The Guardian has an article about famous 16 year-olds with Rupert among them.
Quote:
Rupert Grint, actor

He'd done only the odd bit of drama at school when Rupert saw on Newsround that young actors were wanted for a Harry Potter movie. So he put together a video of himself acting and rapping about playing Ron Weasley - and at 11 landed his first film role. He is currently shooting the fourth in the series, Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire. In between Potters, he appeared in Thunderpants with Simon Callow and Stephen Fry, and recently recorded the voice of Peter Pan for a BBC documentary to mark the book's centenary.

The experts say
Rupert is remarkably free of ego, according to Harry Potter producer David Heyman: 'Success has not gone to his head. He is a natural comedian, and his future is what he makes of it. There will always be a need for actors of his great instinct and talent.'

Rupert says
'I hope to carry on playing Ron and to get the opportunity to do more comedy. I'd also love to play a villain at some point.'

Being 16: best thing ...
'I'm a year closer to being able to drive. I've finished school, so don't have any more homework.'

... and worst thing
'Shaving. Having to think of smart things to say in interviews like this!'

My 16th birthday
'I was filming the latest Harry Potter in Oxford and had a huge cake and BBQ with cast and crew.'
Oh, and JK has updated the site. Today is Bill Weasley´s birthday.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Master Fan

Bill Weasley's? Hurray I wonder how old he is, he's my fave Weasley after Percy. Happy Birthday to Bill
Old 11-29-2004, 02:52 PM
Passionate Fan

Acording to HP-Lexicon Bill is 34 years old today.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:58 PM
Master Fan

34? God...he's old. But he's cute...but old...but cute...
Old 11-29-2004, 05:59 PM
Passionate Fan

Oh Cruel Doubt.....
Old 11-29-2004, 06:37 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallyna
Oh Cruel Doubt.....
Well, he IS cute with his long hair But then he's so old...but then again could be good in bed because of that.... I'm completely innocent

Little OT-talk on the new thread
Old 11-29-2004, 07:08 PM
Master Fan

J.K. Rowling named Variety's UK Personality of the Year!

I was reading Variety today and they have a huge article about J.K. Rowling. They named her the UK Personality of the Year. Here is the first article in the series from Variety Nov 29th-Dec 5th Ed.

Quote:
“It’s a wand-erful life”
Rowling transforms kid lit and embodies Brit grit

By Adam Dawtrey

London
When Jo Rowling was a hard-up single mother scribbling “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone” in the coffee shops of Edinburgh, her goal was to get the book published.

It’s certain that goal didn’t include selling million copies worldwide, transforming the way publishers and Hollywood studios view children’s books, spawning a vast merchandizing industry, encouraging hordes of imitators and wannabes, boosting tourism to the U.K. and becoming the worldwide poster girl for British creativity.

Nonetheless, all of that and more has come to pass in the seven years since her first novel made its quiet debut with a tiny print run from the small indie publishing house Bloomsbury.

As with all the best rags to riches stories, it had been turned down all around town before Barry Cunningham, who ran Bloomsbury’s kid imprint, fished her manuscript out of his slush pile.

Cunningham doesn’t claim any great foresight about his decision. “I just took a risk on something I thought children would adore,” he recalls. “I thought it was a fantastic story that broke a lot of rules, about length, about suitability.

“Anything about magic or witchcraft was very much frowned up at that time,” he explains. “Everybody thought that children’s books should be about drug abuse in secondary schools, or anorexia-purposeful fiction. But also, Jo Rowling was writing about good and evil, and that was thought too big.”

Bloomsbury paid just 2000 pounds for the U.K. and Commonwealth rights. Cunningham says he wanted North America as well, but didn’t have the extra couple of thousand in his budget.

The book was launched without hype, and quickly became a word-of-mouth sensation among kids on both sides of the Atlantic. By the third book, “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban” the first film was in the works at Warner Bros., and Bloomsbury had been transformed into a major player.

“The phenomenon I didn’t expect, which has changed the face of children’s books, and indeed books in general, was the appeal to the crossover audience,” says Cunningham. “That adults would read them, not just parents but people in their 20’s would buy and enjoy these books for themselves.”

“Before Potter, children’s books were the poor relation for publishing companies, an enjoyable extra, building the readers of the future at pocket-money prices,” he says. “Now the barriers between children’s and adult books have become comprehensively blurred, with writers such as Philip Pullman. The pricing is often the same as adult books, and they sometimes sell more.”

Potter gave Cunningham the juice to leave Bloomsbury and launch his own imprint, Chicken House, exploring the cutting edge of children’s writing. He has enjoyed transatlantic success with German author Cornelia Funke, often described as the Teutonic equivalent of Rowling. Her fantasy novels “Thief Lord” and “Inkheart” are both being made into movies.

“Inkheart is being developed at New Line, which has struck an innovative first-look deal with Chicken House for access to its entire stable of writers – the sort of deal that would have been unthinkable before “Potter”

New Line, influenced as much by its success with “The Lord of the Rings” as by the Potter phenomenon, picked up Pullman’s “His Dark Materials” trilogy and Susanna Clarke’s fantasy novel “Johanthan Strange and Mr. Norell,” about feuding magicians, in early 19th-century England, which the studio sees as kind of grown-up prequel to Harry Potter.

Producer David Heyman is another who stumbled upon Harry Potter without quite realizing how it would transform his life. The manuscript sat on his low-priority shelf until one of his assistants took it home for the weekend, and came in raving about it Monday.

Heyman saw it as his chance to make a durable Brit kidpic like “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang,” never thinking it would be his ticket to the Hollywood A-list.

His smartest move was to form a tight alliance with Rowling. It’s a widespread misconception that Rowling has all kinds of contractual rights of approval over the Potter movies. In fact, she has none, but Heyman has always gone out of his way to ensure that her voice is heard powerfully throughout the process of adaptation.

”I’m a big, believer in authorial influence,” he says. “Jo is an invaluable resource, and she’s generous to a fault in giving us information. The books are just the surface of what’s there; she has notebooks upon notebooks about this world, and any question you have, she already knows the answer. She’s present when we need her, but never interfering.”

Indeed, authors such as Funke, Clarke, or the estate of Roald Dahl have profited from Rowling’s contribution to the successful adaptation of her books. These parties are being allowed input into the movie spin-offs of their properties.

The determination of Rowling and Heyman to see the movies made in the U.K. with British actors also has made the Hollywood studios more open to approaching other British based material without relocating it to New Jersey or insisting upon American stars.

“If truth be told, the books are the star, and that has afforded us opportunities to do what we want with casting,” Heyman says. “Why should we cast an American playing a brit when we have so many great British actors, when we don’t need the American star power?”

Even using an American screenwriter and director Steve Kloves and Chris Columbus, respectively – was something of a compromise. Heyman initially approached Brit uberscribe Richard Curtis, who would work only with Bri helmers Mike Newell or Alan Parker. Newell wasn’t available, and Parker managed to talk himself out of the job. Now, of course, the wheel has turned full circle, with Newell directing the fourth installment, “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.”

As an advertisement for British talent, on and off the screen, the Harry Potter franchise could hardly be bettered. “These films have helped to build the British visual effects business,” Heyman says. “On the first film, the work was evenly divided between Britain and America, but as the series has developed, our trust in the British houses has increased. The quality of companies such as CFX, MPC, Cinesite and Double Negative is on par with anywhere else in the world.

“Alas, they’ve also become as expensive,” he adds.

Heyman’s company Heyday has also grown significantly on the back of Potter’s success. “I had a first-look deal at Warner but the nature of their support has definitely changed. I have an office in the U.S., rather than just here, and they see me potentially as a magnet. They want to build up the company, they see Heyday to be a major supplier to the studio.”

If there’s a downside to any of this, it’s that success breeds the kind of corporate interest and intensified competition that leads to inflated expectations and second-rate imitations.

“It’s a great thing that this part of the publishing business is open to new talent in a way it hasn’t been before,” Cunningham says. “But some of the advances now being paid to children’s writers mean that people get a shorter window of opportunity to succeed before the next thing comes along to push them off the shelves. And a lot of agents are clearly saying to their second-division adult writers, why (don’t) you try children’s fantasy? But it doesn’t come naturally to them.”

This kind of calculation couldn’t be further from the genesis of Harry Potter, born out of the passion of one woman who wrote in cafes to save money on heating her apartment, and allowed to grow at its own pace. The Rowling industry has become such a global behemoth that it’s easy to forget that, in Heyman’s words, “she is really emblematic of the best of British independence.”

“She began as a single mother writing this book, the first printing was a tiny one, with an independent publishing house, not part of a conglomerate,” he explains. “The book gets bought by myself, an independent producer with a first look deal, we cross over and are embraced by the studio. It’s the greatest independent success story imaginable”

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter

Last edited by k46; 11-29-2004 at 10:20 PM
Old 11-30-2004, 01:15 AM
Master Fan

Video of TRL's 'Goblet of Fire' segment

Screencaps of Emma from the segment

This is so awesome!

Last edited by artist; 11-30-2004 at 01:27 AM
Old 11-30-2004, 06:58 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallyna
Nope, June 2005.
Oooooh. *feels disappointed and impatient, but knows that you can't rush greatness...!*

Last edited by Angela12; 11-30-2004 at 07:04 AM
Old 11-30-2004, 07:17 AM
Master Fan

Eeee, new pic of Tom again. The hair looks real...nothing like a wig.