Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamFez (View Post)
This isn't about the site but it is about JKR.

She'll be appearing on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross on the 6th July, and a three part interview with The Today Show will air on the 26th and 27th July, the final part airing on Dateline on the 29th.
This should be posted on her own thread. Thanks Fez.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

Jo updated her website with additional information about DH in the Extras Stuff, FAQ and Character sections. In particular regarding the Elder wand and Voldemort.

Quote:
The Elder Wand

I decided that the core of the Elder Wand is the tail hair of a Thestral; a powerful and tricky substance that can be mastered only by a witch or wizard capable of facing death.

What exactly happened when Voldemort used the Avada Kedavra curse on Harry in the forest?

Again, Voldemort violated deep laws of magic he did not understand, but there is more to it than that.

Having taken Harry’s blood into himself, Voldemort is keeping alive Lily’s protective power over Harry. So Voldemort himself acts almost like a Horcrux for Harry – except that the power of Lily’s sacrifice is a positive force that not only continues to tether Harry to life, but gives Voldemort himself one last chance (Dumbledore refers to this last hope in chapter 35). Voldemort has unwittingly put a few drops of goodness back inside himself; if he had repented, he could have been healed more deeply than anyone would have supposed. But, of course, he refused to feel remorse.

Voldemort is also using the Elder Wand - the wand that is really Harry’s. It does not work properly against its true owner; no curse Voldemort casts on Harry functions properly; neither the Cruciatus curse nor the Killing Curse. The Avada Kedavra curse, however, is so powerful that it does hurt Harry, and also succeeds in killing the part of him that is not truly him, in other words, the fragment of Voldemort’s own soul still clinging to his. The curse also disables Harry severely enough that he could have succumbed to death if he had chosen that path (again, Dumbledore says he has a choice whether or not to wake up). But Harry does decide to struggle back to consciousness, capitalises on Lily’s ‘escape route’, and pulls himself back to the realm of the living.

It is important to state that I always saw these kinds of magic (the very deepest life and death issues) as essentially un-scientific; in other words, there is no “Elder Wand + Lily’s Blood = Assured Survival” formula. What count, ultimately, are Harry and Voldemort’s own choices. They have each been given certain weapons and safeguards, but the power of these objects and past happenings lie in how they are understood, and how they are used or enacted upon. Harry has a deeper and truer understanding of the meaning of the objects and past events, but his greatest powers, those that save him, are free will, courage and moral certainty.

What exactly was the mutilated baby-like creature Harry saw at King's Cross in chapter 35 of 'Hallows'?

I’ve been asked this a LOT. It is the last piece of soul Voldemort possesses. When Voldemort attacks Harry, they both fall temporarily unconscious, and both their souls - Harry's undamaged and healthy, Voldemort’s stunted and maimed - appear in the limbo where Harry meets Dumbledore.

Harry and Dudley: Future Hope?

A couple of people have told me that they hoped to see Dudley at King’s Cross in the Epilogue, accompanying a wizarding child. I must admit that it did occur to me to do that very thing, but a short period of reflection convinced me that any latent wizarding genes would never survive contact with Uncle Vernon’s DNA, so I didn’t do it.

However, I know that after Dudley’s brave attempt at reconciliation at the start of Deathly Hallows, the two cousins would have remained on ‘Christmas Card’ terms for the rest of their lives, and that Harry would have taken his family to visit Dudley’s when they were in the neighbourhood (occasions dreaded by James, Albus and Lily).
source ~ jkr.com
Old 10-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Jo's updated her site with new Beedle the Bard book release news.

Quote:
Launch of 'The Tales of Beedle the Bard'

As some of you will already know, I will be helping to launch 'The Tales of Beedle the Bard' with a Beedle tea party at the National Library of Scotland in Edinburgh on 4th December. I'm delighted that the book will now be available to everyone, with the net proceeds of sales going to the Children's High Level Group, the charity I helped found which works with vulnerable children across Eastern Europe.

I'm afraid we did have to limit the attendance to the launch, so it will be for 8-11 year-olds from primary schools in the Edinburgh area, who will be chosen by a random ballot run by the local newspaper. Also, some tickets are available via competitions being run by Scholastic, Bloomsbury and Amazon - see their websites for details.

One of the seven original handwritten copies of 'The Tales of Beedle the Bard', kindly loaned by my first editor Barry Cunningham, will be going on show for a month at the National Library of Scotland from 5th December to 4th January 2009, so anyone visiting Edinburgh will be able to see it.

Hundreds of thousands of vulnerable children in Eastern Europe are living in appalling conditions in large, residential institutions. Contrary to popular belief, fewer than 4% of them are orphans, but are in care because they are considered disabled or their families are poor or from ethnic minorities. The Children's High Level Group is publishing 'The Tales of Beedle the Bard', in collaboration with my English language publishers Bloomsbury and Scholastic, my foreign publishers throughout the world and also the online bookseller Amazon, who are producing a Special Limited Edition version, all of them to raise money to fund our work in helping these children out of institutions and in to loving families or community care homes.

I hope that 'The Tales of Beedle the Bard' will not only be a welcome Christmas present to Harry Potter fans, but an opportunity to give these abandoned children a voice.
J.K.Rowling Official Site
Old 10-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Fan

Good stuff Jo !

icon:goutdevodka
stumps101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

JKR.com actually has been updated slightly. BIG NEWS!
Quote:
Slight changes are afoot at JKRowling.com, the official website of Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling. Thanks to longtime reader Bel, we know that the title of her diary has been changed to "Everything you might want to Know," along with a new books in the link section and a few changes of the links. As readers will recall, its been quite some time since the website has been update (well over a year, going on two) so we do not know if more changes are planned, stay tuned!
source ~ leaky.com

I hope this means more is on the way.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Is her site still up and running?
crash landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:11 PM
Moderator Manager

Yes it is: J.K. Rowling

Wow, this thread was bumped from oblivion. Although we talk more about JKR on the appropriate thread opened for her.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

L i N d $ @ y is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top