Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Ben
Obsessed Fan

HP Debate/Discussion #11 - Wandless Magic

Here's something that I wonder about. If you don't need a wand to perform magic all the time, how come everyone uses wands?

I know you have to be real emotional and the like. But Harry was just this in OOTP most of the time and never put it to use.

And someone said once about half the population foing loads of damage for one week of each month as it was. So why not perform wandless magic more often.

I suppose the wand must conentrate the magic to a fine point. But still, Harry has done some pretty wacky things, like ending up on the roof and making glass dissapear.

Check out the Past Threads (you may post on these still, if they haven't been pruned! Mmm prunes!):
HP Debate / Discussion Thread #1 - House Elves, opressed slaves or willing workers?
HP Debate / Discussion Thread #2 - Turning back time
HP Debate/Discussion Thread #3: Strengths and Weaknesses
Harry Potter: HP Debate/Discussion Thread #4: Will Ron Turn On Harry?
Harry Potter: HP Debate/Discussion Thread #5: Ghosts and the Afterlife
HP Debate/Discussion Thread #6: What would the HP characters ask Santa for Christmas?
HP Debate/Discussion Thread #7: How does magic work anyway?
HP Debate/Discussi on Thread #8: Animagus: Think Crookshanks is one? And Trevor?
HP Debate/Discussi on HP Debate/Discussion Thread #9: OotP Passage: Weak vs Strong against YKW
HP Debate/Discussion #10 - Live chat with JKR

======================================================================

A Portkey has been created for this topic.
Just click on this title in the list and be transported immediately.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 06:48 AM
Dedicated Fan

My guess is that over the years, those in power have recognized the danger of wandless magic and perpatrated the myth of the wands in order to control the populace.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Addicted Fan

I don't rememper OotP that well anymore, but it seems to me that before he got a wand, Harry didn't have any control over his magic.
Crossbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 10:37 PM
Ben
Obsessed Fan

But Harry was always able to make something happen, as long as he wanted it to happen badly enough. If he thinks about something enough and is emotionally charged then he was able to do those things wandless.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:13 AM
Addicted Fan

Not really - he didn't WANT the glass on the snake cage to disappear. He wanted something bad to happen to Dudly, but he wasn't trying to make that specifically happen. And there was a bit in SS abotu one time when he was being chased and suddenly foud himself on a rooftop. He wasn't trying to do that, either. I don't think he has any control over his magic withough a wand.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Supreme Fan

I guess I think that he didn't have control over his magic because of his emotions...so he was able to do magic without his wand.
but I also believe that wizards/witches can do magic without their wands...but it would take a lot of effort and concentration to really get it to work. I mean...harry's emotions I think were the things that caused the other things..he wasn't necessarily wanting to fly up to the roof to escape, but he did want to get away from dudley and his friends..
Another question along with this topic is how do wizards/witches perform magic with their wands without saying an incantation? Like in the second movie, Ron says "eat slugs, malfoy", and it caused the person who the spell was cast on (ron b/c of his wand backfiring) to puke up slugs. I think there are more examples in the books, but that's the one off the top of my head.
So do they just think about the spell and it comes out through the wand or what?

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Gabriela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 06:23 PM
Addicted Fan

No clue. Maybe "eat slugs" IS the incantation. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] No, actually I think it depends on how complicated the spell is or something like that. Although causing someone to start coughing up slugs seems to me like it would be a bit tricky. But what do I know.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:00 PM
New Fan

I think the reason for the wand is to circulate all you felings to that point so that the magic would be presis and not entierly dengerous. imagine Avada Kedavra disperse with not a sense for direction or focus.
Prototype44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:52 AM
Extreme Fan

i've always thought wands were always used as a focous before they go to school all witches and wizards can do magic but they can't really control and afterwoods they have spent so long casting with their wands they can't imagin casting a spell without one so they put limits on themselves.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:24 PM
Addicted Fan

Gah. I think we need a new discussion topic. I should get that "Teacher's Guide to Harry Potter" or whatever it's called for ideas.

Here's one:
Which side will Percy end up on, and will he even know?
Old 04-21-2004, 02:18 PM
Addicted Fan

Well. That was stimulating.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:46 PM
Ben
Obsessed Fan

Some people aren't discussing enough!

I like the Percy topic idea, I'll post it up later. My choice was kinda sucky, cuz I couldn't come up with anything else.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:01 PM
Addicted Fan

I have the distinct feeling no one wants to discuss anything but their ships.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:18 PM
Supreme Fan

Hehehe
Something that has always interested me is the Marauders Map and how it works. I've heard a lot of theories about it since only some people seem to show up for certain people. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
Sorry for this randomness

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Gabriela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 06:56 PM
Ben
Obsessed Fan

There's two subjects that interest me.

I totally agree about people talking about their 'ships more than anything else. This is what the discussion thread is supposed to be for. Ok, well we have two topics now. That should keep us cool people who post here amused for a while [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img].
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top