Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2017, 02:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

Incredible review from The Stage with the new cast

https://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/2...-london-2/#_=_

Quote:

Three weeks ago a new cast took over the lead roles of the most important theatrical event of a generation, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Tickets acquired online, we thought we’d see how the new actors compared to the original cast.

They more than match up. John Tiffany’s production, for the most part, remains exactly the same. The design, the choreography, the music – all still superb. The new cast closely follows templates left by the original actors. It's more than just taking their cue, but not as blunt as outright mimicry.

This is particularly true of Jamie Glover’s Harry, following the brilliant Jamie Parker, and of Theo Ancient’s earnest Albus Potter, Harry’s son, who’s performance is very much in the mould of Sam Clemmett. While lacking – if only by a whisper – the range of the rest of the cast, it’s easily forgiven considering Ancient is a newcomer, and this his professional stage debut. He’s bound to grow in the role.

Samuel Blenkin, another debutant, plays Scorpius Malfoy. Anthony Boyle’s extraordinary performance in the role was universally praised; if anything, Blenkin takes it further. He adds shades of sadness to Boyle's original; he hits higher peaks, building on Boyle's astonishing foundations.

One actor breaking away from her predecessor is Rakie Ayola as Hermione. Ayola gives the show’s stand-out performance. This is a stunning, brand new Hermione. She’s less matriarchal, less assured than Noma Dumezweni, closer to the Hermione from the books, gleefully pally with Harry at moments, formidable at others.

As the twists of the plot demands, she fractures into alternate versions of herself with absolute ease and conviction, sometimes broken and bitter, sometimes devastatingly moving, as when she runs desperately across the stage to embrace her daughter.

This is a cast that easily equals the original. The performances owe a lot to them, certainly. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is still a phenomenon. It's still extraordinary in every respect. It's still all it ever was, just with a few new faces in the frame.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:22 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child's award-winning Sound Design architect Gareth Fry was a recipient at Sunday's 71st annual Tony Awards, where he won a Special Tony Award for his work in the production of The Encounter alongside Pete Malkin.

Malkin gave an extra shout out to actor Simon McBurney, whom fans may known as voicing Kreacher the house-elf in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

The Tony Awards® Administration Committee has announced that Gareth Fry and Pete Malkin will be presented a Special Tony Award for their outstanding Sound Design on The Encounter.

"Gareth and Pete take the audience on a journey in The Encounter that is infused by the intimacy of sound, and the intricacies of that involvement were executed beautifully. They have created another dimension of the live theatrical experience, and we are thrilled to honor their work," said Heather Hitchens, President of the American Theatre Wing and Charlotte St. Martin, President of the Broadway League.

It would not be a big surprise if Fry returns next year at the Tonys, given that Harry Potter and the Cursed Child will be heading to Broadway this spring and just in time for next season's awards shows.
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child's Sound Designer Gareth Fry wins Special Tony Award - Snitchseeker

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Old 06-14-2017, 11:06 PM
Moderator Manager

We need more promotional pictures with the new cast.

+

Old 06-19-2017, 03:36 AM
Passionate Fan

^ yeah..I wonder when we'll see more..
"I wish I was the monster you think I am" ~ Tyrion Lannister
"I'm no lady" ~ Brienne of Tarth
Old 06-19-2017, 03:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

More promotion? I think they're doing enough. The play is such a success they don't need much promotion to get bums in seats.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:50 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valeerena (View Post)
^ yeah..I wonder when we'll see more..
I'm slipping in and out of CC lately. Although it has been a year already so the excitement isn't there for me anymore.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

Last edited by baileycat; 06-26-2017 at 02:52 PM
Old 06-26-2017, 02:57 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileycat (View Post)
More promotion? I think they're doing enough. The play is such a success they don't need much promotion to get bums in seats.
promos for the new cast..I mean, We already saw lots of pics for the old cast but what about the other cast? Every cast needs to have its own promotions
Old 06-26-2017, 10:50 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
promos for the new cast..I mean, We already saw lots of pics for the old cast but what about the other cast? Every cast needs to have its own promotions
They did some promotional photos and a BTS vid back then. But I felt like I know more about the original cast than the new one or maybe because I was just so fond of the original cast that I didn't bother so much with the new cast.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Well I think you've got that now. Especially from yesterday.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:47 AM
Passionate Fan

^ Thanks for those tweets

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y
But I felt like I know more about the original cast than the new one or maybe because I was just so fond of the original cast that I didn't bother so much with the new cast.
That's Exactly what I feel. May be because it was the first cast so they were in the spotlight, magazines and newspaper had published some new pics from the play.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:11 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
That's Exactly what I feel. May be because it was the first cast so they were in the spotlight, magazines and newspaper had published some new pics from the play.
I don't even know the names of any of the new cast. I mean that's the difference with how I favor the original to the new one.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:06 AM
Fan Forum Star

Old 06-30-2017, 10:25 PM
Moderator Manager

+

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top