Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

GOF Book Discussion Thread

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
This thread is for the discussion of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire book.

Please keep on topic to only the plot of the Forth book so you don't spoil any newcomers to the rest of the series who haven't read any further. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

i loved this one.....it was one of the best besides the last one!
Thor/Loki Charles/Erik Kirk/Spock Zachary/Chris Dexter/Deb Nev/Max Thorin/Bilbo Neal/Peter John/D'avin Thomas/Newt Conrad/Devon Stiles/Scott Richie/Eddie
Old 08-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Extreme Fan

i love this book! i remember being really excited about it because it was alot thicker than the previous books and it was hardbook - im a dork, i know then when i started reading it thought that it couldn't be the right book because it started so differently from all the previous books, but yeah i was wrong
Old 08-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle341 (View Post)
when i started reading it thought that it couldn't be the right book because it started so differently from all the previous books, but yeah i was wrong
I had the same impression because all the books begun with the PoV of Harry so it was weird to see an other PoV.

Goblet of Fire was my favorite book in the series for a long time. I liked it because I was more close to the characters age - I was 16 at the time - and all the relationships stuff was really fun to read And it also a important book because Voldemort came back, and it's the first book where we actually witness a death so it was really sad too.

Sorry if you don't understand what I mean because it's 3AM here
Old 08-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

i'm re-reading it now and i'm noticing stuff that i didn't notice before..its a great book!
Thor/Loki Charles/Erik Kirk/Spock Zachary/Chris Dexter/Deb Nev/Max Thorin/Bilbo Neal/Peter John/D'avin Thomas/Newt Conrad/Devon Stiles/Scott Richie/Eddie
Old 11-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Part-Time Fan

Hey! I need a little help remembering... In GOF, Barty Jr as Mad-Eye Moody borrowed Harry's Hogwarts map. My question is, how did Harry get it back?

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2007, 01:54 AM
Part-Time Fan

I'm re-reading the books as well. Summer holidays have started and I'm about halfway through GoF. I want to be finished by Christmas - remember when you could read the whole series in a week???

I can't remember a specific scene where Harry gets the Marauder's Map back from fake-Moody, but I can only assume it occurred after the Final Task, when Barty Crouch Jr was discovered.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebee (View Post)
I'm re-reading the books as well. Summer holidays have started and I'm about halfway through GoF. I want to be finished by Christmas - remember when you could read the whole series in a week???

I can't remember a specific scene where Harry gets the Marauder's Map back from fake-Moody, but I can only assume it occurred after the Final Task, when Barty Crouch Jr was discovered.
The first time round I wanted to read the books as fast as possible to see what happens, now, though, I want to savor the info and I'm getting things that I didn't the first read-through.

I finished GOF a week ago and I'm a quarter through OotP, but for the life of me I can't remember if/when/how Harry got his Marauders' Map back. If you get to that part in GOF will you let me know. I know that Barty Jr was given veritaserum and he spilled everything, even everything about Harry's map, but I just can't remember what happens to the map.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
How did Harry get the Marauder's Map back at the end of 'Goblet of Fire'?
He simply took it back from the fake Moody’s office, but I never show him doing so. Maybe I’ll insert a line in the next edition. I’m afraid I took it for granted that you’d all assume that next time he passed the untenanted office he’d go and get it!
It was a question of the FAQ on Jo's official site
Old 11-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by niniebou (View Post)
It was a question of the FAQ on Jo's official site
Thanks!

Still, wouldn't an "untenanted office" have been stripped of everything. I mean Dumbledore, Snape, and McGonagall all heard about the map, I would think that Snape would have wanted to confiscate that from Harry. Or maybe, JKR could've written that everything in fake Moody's office was packed and given to the real Moody and the real Moody could've come across the map and given it back to Harry... but to have Harry just walk into an empty office and easily get the map back just seems a bit off.

lol Now that's just going to bother me a bit.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think that Harry is fairly crafty and he knew that the map would not be safe in the fake-Moody's office while Snape was swooping around, so as soon as he had a chance, he went in and grabbed it before anyone thought too hard about the contents of the office. Also, I don't think the office would have been packed up. The real Moody was there after all and all that stuff did belong to him.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Master Fan

I only have like 15 pages left! I'm so excited. (I just started reading the series this August, and it has seemed to take forever to read them!)
Old 11-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Part-Time Fan

I finished last night. I read the whole thing. It always take the longest to read this book and I usually skip the chapter where Voldemort gets his body back - it freaks me out too much, but I sucked it up this time and got through it. The bit where Cedric dies kills me every time.

I think my favourite bit is the letter from Mrs Weasley arrives at Privet Drive and Uncle Vernon's internal struggle.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

of all the books, I think this one had the faultiest plot.

I have never understood why Crouch had to make the cup a portkey. why go through all that trouble? couldnt he have used one of Harrys quills, or his pillow, or something? (have a house elf bring it up to his dorm with the linen, or so...)

and how did he manage to get obstacles out of Harrys way in the maze, and curse the others? the whole school was watching! wouldnt they notice?
Old 12-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

well it would be weird to borrow one of his quills...
as for the obstacles..invisiblity cloak
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top