Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2017, 07:34 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
They did not discuss Ron at all over the next few days. Harry was determined never to mention his name again, and Hermione seemed to know that it was no use forcing the issue, although sometimes at night when she thought he was sleeping, he would hear her crying.
I remember Hermione crying herself to sleep cause I was more worried for her than Harry.

I'm gonna blame it all on Yates who is, I heard, a HHr fan.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow,
the lone wolf dies but the pack survives.

dw | dd | st | kh | 20 Years ⚡
L i N d $ @ y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:32 PM
Loyal Fan

Really? and the screen writer too was H/Hr shipper.. Nothing wrong in that, ship whoever you want but stick as possibly as you can to the main source ( book ). They're kinda marginalized Harry/Ron and Ron himself for the sake of Harry/Hermione. I always admired Harry/Ron friendship.. Harry wasn't just a friend for Ron but more like a brother.
"I wish I was the monster you think I am" ~ Tyrion Lannister
"I'm no lady" ~ Brienne of Tarth
Valeerena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:33 PM
Loyal Fan

Harry and Ron shared something pretty special. I don't ship them romantically, but I am willing to look in between the lines in H/R scenes and see where it could be possible. But I don't ship them because I ship Ron with Hermione.

I hate that the screenwriters and Yates didn't focus on their friendship as much as it was done by J.K. Rowling. They made their love for Harry/Hermione so obvious. And threw Ron under the bus how many times?
Old 03-20-2017, 04:02 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think a part played the personality of the actors. Dan and Emma as extroverts, developed a more easy going friendship and they were both talkative and energetic and they could promote the H/Hr friendship or just their characters individually. The press loved them for that.
On the other hand Rupert is clearly introvert and insecure, struggling to have an interview without laughing nervously or saying "kind of" and "i don't know" a dozen times, so probably he didn't want any attention and he couldn't sell his character as good as the other two, so the press put him aside. And Yates, Heyman and co, they do care about money and how to promote something and knew that they could promote a lot more through Dan and Emma than through Rupert.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:40 PM
Loyal Fan

Yeah, not to bash on Rupert but I think that's where they fell short. It's hard to know how children will develop in the acting business when they're cast in a series whose movies will be filmed over ten or eleven years. They lucked out with Dan and Emma, but not so much with Rupert. It was evident back in the third movie that the Yates, Heyman, and others wanted to explore Dan and Emma's chemistry... especially after the character introspective they gave on Harry and Hermione. Rupert didn't even do it, and I think from that point on, they just downsized his role and cast Ron to the side.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:04 PM
Moderator Manager

I think they did overall, downsize Ron in the movies. He is often referred to as the "comedy" part of the trio. Some of his lines were also cut out from the book and was given a "goofy" one for the movie instead. I didn't mind it much actually. I still walked away from every movie loving Ron in spite of what they did to his character but maybe that's just me. However, the lack of Ron & Harry moments were concerning.

Erika, I agree on what you said. Rupert is more of an introvert as compared to Dan & Emma. When he was a kid (SS/COS) he was more social but as he grew, he became more self-conscious. He kind of toned down and that happened to his portrayal of Ron too which I noticed. But overall, the trio did improve on their acting that by the time DH rolled around, they all owned the roles which is understandable doing 8 movies for the same character.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:08 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y
I think they did overall, downsize Ron in the movies. He is often referred to as the "comedy" part of the trio. Some of his lines were also cut out from the book and was given a "goofy" one for the movie instead. I didn't mind it much actually. I still walked away from every movie loving Ron in spite of what they did to his character but maybe that's just me. However, the lack of Ron & Harry moments were concerning.
It was annoying really. Ron doesn't just represent the comedic part ( doesn't mean I didn't like that ) but he was more than that and as you said they downsized his role, giving his lines to Hermione or any other character. People who didn't read the books and only watched the movies had underestimated Ron and they focused more on H/Hr. I'd had to explain that Ron is important and may be more complex than Hermione's character...
Old 03-22-2017, 03:42 PM
Loyal Fan

I think Ron and Hermione were just as important, but Ron was definitely much more complex than Hermione. I think this is to do with the fact that mental health issues (which I am almost positive Ron has) is stigmatized in media. But then there are the 'good' qualities he has. such as being loyal to Harry, willing to do anything for him, his bravery and strength. All of these were pushed towards the side in the films. His binge-eating disorder were made to be a joke, which really upsets me.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:29 PM
Loyal Fan

I think we can all agree that the films didn't treat Ron with respect.

And about how different Ron and Hermione are in the films, I read once a quote that describes my feelings

"Movie!Hermione is everything Book!Hermione wished she was. Movie!Ron is everything Book!Ron affraid he was."
geoizz545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:40 PM
Loyal Fan

I think that quote sums it up pretty well, geoizz!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:02 PM
Moderator Manager

Valeerena, the movie really gave some of Ron's lines to Hermione or some other character. I remember Hermione was called "Super!Hermione" in the movies because all of a sudden she was this character who was in the sense, "super".

Jenna, I agree. I love Ron's loyalty to Harry. Even if they fought, it bugged them both a great deal and missed each other too. I think in GoF the movie failed to capture that but in the book, you can really feel that they missed each other a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoizz545 (View Post)
And about how different Ron and Hermione are in the films, I read once a quote that describes my feelings

"Movie!Hermione is everything Book!Hermione wished she was. Movie!Ron is everything Book!Ron affraid he was."
Pretty much.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:13 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoizz545

EXACTLY. That's pretty accurate ..Unfortunately, they kinda ruined Ron in favor of Hermione which is annoying really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y
Valeerena, the movie really gave some of Ron's lines to Hermione or some other character. I remember Hermione was called "Super!Hermione" in the movies because all of a sudden she was this character who was in the sense, "super".
Precisely. I can understand that Hermione's every one's favorite.No problem in that, I love Hermione too however, don't make her flawless taking Ron best lines and adding them to her. Ron is an important character just like Hermione btw but in a different way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~wanderlust~
I think Ron and Hermione were just as important, but Ron was definitely much more complex than Hermione. I think this is to do with the fact that mental health issues (which I am almost positive Ron has) is stigmatized in media. But then there are the 'good' qualities he has. such as being loyal to Harry, willing to do anything for him, his bravery and strength. All of these were pushed towards the side in the films. His binge-eating disorder were made to be a joke, which really upsets me.
You spoke my mind..THANKS. That's exactly what I wanna say. Movie!Ron was written just to make people laugh like a jester ..It's kinda sad you know.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:52 PM
Moderator Manager

Ron was really sidelined in the movies which is a shame. He was so much better in the books. He wasn't just a sidekick to the 'hero' as the movies made him out to be.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Loyal Fan

Well, No wonder books are more interesting than movies

Harry's trying to save Ron every single moment
Old 05-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Moderator Manager

HAHA! Nice. Although that's very canon too. Poor Ron in the topmost gif though, Snape hit him.

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top