Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2004, 02:36 AM
New Fan

Which director do you prefer?

Well, I'm not really sure what constitutes as something that should have its own thread, but here it is. Sorry, big time lurker and new to actually posting.

So. I have a question for you all. Which director do you all prefer? Alfonso Cuaron or Chris Columbus?

Personally, I prefer Alfonso Cuaron. The first two films were decent, and fun but their attempt to follow the book [b]exactly[\b], well, suffocated it. They felt more like a re-hash of events, a blow by blow replay. Columbus did well in putting the actual events onto screen, I'll give him that, but there was no emotion, no atmosphere of magic present and no sense of reality as well. There were just forced scenes and special effects, that dragged on and on.

For me, this movie was more than just a freeze-dried copy of the book, it was actually a movie with heart, with real emotions, with the actual feeling of magic and wonder, but still with a sense of reality as well. If there's one thing that Cuaron has plenty of, it's imagination, and boy does it show. He wasn't afraid to deviate from the book to help with the flow of the movie, since, after all, this is a film and not a replay. Did he deviate more than necessary? Maybe. But hey, that's a personal preference, although it didn't affect me too much. Or, really at all. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the films if they continue in this direction.

Heh. So what do you all think?
whirrled_peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 04:45 AM
Supreme Fan

I like both and I can't really choose one. They are very different. The two first films amazed me, specially the first one, Hermione's hair and fak eteeth, just amazing. Chris did a great job.
Alfonso is gorgeous too. PoA is incredible.
Maybe I would be able to pic one if for example, both of them had done CoS or PS and then I'd be able to choose the version that I like most. But since they have not made the same movie, I think the third book is very different from the other too, and the movie must be different as well. I can't choose because they have worked on somethign very different.
- Alex - is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Part-Time Fan

They are both very good... but I prefer Alfonso
xavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Master Fan

Alfonso, definitely! It was so much more fun and it felt more magical. The scenery, music, everything was just beautifully done. I also felt like the kids worked so much better with each other. The movie never once felt tedious or dry. The pacing was great, and the movie itself had a great life and energy.
i got stuck on the side you know i never chose
but it's all about taking the easy way out for you i suppose
*Shannon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Elite Fan

Alfonso Cauron, hands down.
roswellcharmed_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 03:52 PM
Supreme Fan

I'd have to say Cuaron. I mean, CC was good, but I liked how this third movie seemed a bit darker and a little more adult. CC totally wanted to market the first two movies to kids and I like how that changed w/ PoA. I also like Cuaron's attention to most details - he made everything really come to life and I foudn myself getting much more involved emotionally while watching than I did with the first two films.
I also liked some of Cuaron's methods. He really worked to help the actors develop into their characters - so Dan becomes Harry and Emma and Rupert become Hermione and Ron. He had Dan (and maybe others, I'm not sure) write an essay on what he thinks Harry's feelings going into the third installment are. Obviously the kids are growing up and as they do so they'll become better actors, but I think Cuaron had a lot to do with just how amazing the acting in this one was.

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Gabriela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

CC
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Passionate Fan

I'm not sure.... I like them both for different reasons.

I think Chris Columbus did an AWESOME job with the first two films. The kids were still in their fresh-faced, innocent stage, and he was the right guy to bring that out. He also accurately covered the backstory needed for non-book-readers to slightly comprehend Harry's world. He remained very faithful to the books, which was something I think we needed for the first two movies. I mean, if you had gone and seen something like PoA for the first time, being a devout fan of the books, you would have been worried that the movies were killing the books. Plus, Chris captured the essence of Draco Malfoy a lot better than Alfonso, I think.

But Alfonso was just the right guy to bring on for Prisoner of Azkaban. PoA is definitely the most dark film of the three. It is, after all, when Harry learns a grand portion of his background and how it will come to affect him. Plus, all the adolescent agnst starts here. While Alfonso didn't give the whole Marauder's backstory, he still did a great job. I don't think Chris could have pulled it all together as neatly as Alfonso managed to.

So, I liked how each director did his own thing on the movies. Different books, different themes, different directors.
EphramIsHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:38 PM
Absolute Fan

Alfonso! i loved the third film, whereas the first two i just liked and would never watch a second time
~Jules~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:38 PM
Dedicated Fan

I'll go for Alfonso Cuaron
"I don't think you're ugly"
Candy_Auror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:47 PM
Loyal Fan

Alfonso, Alfonso, Alfonso.

Alfonso is, in my opinion, just the more gifted director. There were some pacing/editing issues in PoA, but, overall, it was ridiculously superior to PS and CoS. CC turned most of the characters into caricatures with his direction. I realize characterization is more on Kloves's shoulder, but I think CC emphasized it with his direction -- for example, making Rupert mug so much. it felt like CC was behind the camera "okay, now you are SCARED. look SCARED. SCARED!!" Alfonso, I think, knows how to make the emotions more subtle and genuine. cinematography, although I kind of liked the shiny technicolor of the first two, PoA wins again.
and I think Alfonso added some really great elements -- like the scene in the dormitory with the Gryffindor boys or the bridge.

as well, Alfonso's Potterverse was just more...organic. CC's Potterverse...just no heart and it's too kiddie. I don't know, it's difficult to explain. ah well. I suppose that's enough rambling for right now. so, yes.

YMMV, of course.
miss blue sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 02:55 AM
Addicted Fan

I'm gonna have to say Alfonso - no disrespect to Chris Columbus who, I thought, did a fine job on the first two.

I agree with your comments, whirrled_peas. I think I agree with most of the comments here actually.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:56 AM
Loyal Fan

I preferred Alfonso.
I really liked the first two films, but now that I've seen PoA, I found the style that I preferred. I loved the scenery and the music, and it definitely had a more mature feeling. I don't know if this came because the storyline involved more maturity and the characters were older, but overall if felt good despite some missing issues that may have confused fans who hadn't read the books.
icecrystals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Master Fan

Alfonso. Just because PoA felt more real. There was emotion, and it didn't seem so kiddy like the first two.

Sharon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 03:26 PM
Loyal Fan

Definately Alfonso!! I do still love the first two films but after watching them I didn't feel any real need to see them again. I could easily see POA again. I just loved how Alfonso made this film his own, he didn't try to make it like the first two and I think he made necessary changes to his film. and he was the right director to show three kids going through the transition of puberty. i think he made dan, emma and rupert more comfortable with their characters and made the exterior of the film look fantastic. Alfonso also didn't feel the need or the pressure to make this film exactly like the book... which made this movie more interesting to watch.

She looked up at Ron and her frostiness seemed to melt.

Icon credit: eva-1102
~*Dancer in the Dark*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top