Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think the reason why the cast didn't win in that under 25 category was because they were all up against each other. Too much vote splitting to have any of them coming out on top, hence the only non potter actor getting the award instead.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:32 AM
Moderator Manager

Congratulations again are in order! Best Makeup and Sound at the Critics Choice Movie Awards!

Quote:
Although Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 was not in the nominations for some of the top awards at this year's Critics' Choice Awards Show tonight, the franchise still cast its spell on two of the four categories it was nominated for.

Deathly Hallows - Part 2 won Best Makeup and Best Sound while falling short in the categories of Best Art Direction and Best Visual Effects to Hugo and Rise of the Planet of the Apes respectively.
'Harry Potter' casts its spell and wins two more awards from the Critics' Choice Awards

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Some of the cast, including Dan talk about the possibility of getting any Oscar nominations this year for Deathly Hallows:

Old 01-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
As soon as Sunday, the franchise could win a real, live trophy: Deathly Hallows: Part 2, remember, is up for the Screen Actors Guild Awards' movie stunt ensemble honor.

And just in time for the final Harry Potter movie, it's the Harry Potter series' first SAG nomination. In any category. Ever.

Deathly Hallows: Part 2 has been pitted against The Adjustment Bureau, Cowboys & Aliens, X-Men: First Class and, perhaps most daunting, Transformers: Dark of the Moon. The Transformers franchise previously was nominated for the stunt award for Revenge of the Fallen.

Oddsmakers don't seem keen on calling the category, and maybe not just because it's anything but the show's main draw—it's just tough to call.

"It's not really clear what the criteria is for judging it," one SAG voter tells us. "What are we judging? The coolest stunts? How well they advance the story?"

Our SAG member, for one, is still undecided on which nominee will get his vote. (Ballots are due Friday.) But he's got a hunch on Deathly Hallows.

"I'll bet it'll win," the SAG member says. "It's probably the best movie out of the five."

The final rub, for Potter fans, that is, is that TBS and TNT aren't going to televise the category—the stunt winners will be announced during Sunday's online preshow.

Well, you didn't really expect to see Harry Potter win an award on TV, outside of MTV, did you?
SAG Awards Countdown: Will Harry Potter Finally Win Something? Anything? - Red Carpet | E!Online

Old 01-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

Deathly Hallows Part 2 got 3 Oscar nominations!

* Art direction
* Makeup
* Visual Effects

All deserving!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Moderator Manager

Congratulations on the Oscar nominations for Deathly Hallows 2!

Quote:
Art Direction
"The Artist" - Production Design: Laurence Bennett; Set Decoration: Robert Gould
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" - Production Design: Stuart Craig; Set Decoration: Stephenie McMillan
"Hugo" - Production Design: Dante Ferretti; Set Decoration: Francesca Lo Schiavo
"Midnight in Paris" - Production Design: Anne Seibel; Set Decoration: Hélène Dubreuil
"War Horse" - Production Design: Rick Carter; Set Decoration: Lee Sandales

Makeup
"Albert Nobbs" - Martial Corneville, Lynn Johnston and Matthew W. Mungle
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" - Edouard F. Henriques, Gregory Funk and Yolanda Toussieng
"The Iron Lady" - Mark Coulier and J. Roy Helland

Visual Effects
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" - Tim Burke, David Vickery, Greg Butler and John Richardson
"Hugo" - Rob Legato, Joss Williams, Ben Grossman and Alex Henning
"Real Steel" - Erik Nash, John Rosengrant, Dan Taylor and Swen Gillberg
"Rise of the Planet of the Apes" - Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, R. Christopher White and Daniel Barrett
"Transformers: Dark of the Moon" - Scott Farrar, Scott Benza, Matthew Butler and John Frazier
Deathly Hallows: Part 2, Harry Potter actors nominated for 2011 Academy Awards - SnitchSeeker.com

Old 01-28-2012, 03:33 PM
New Fan

One of my problems throughout the series was not knowing who was who. The only three characters I could put names to were Harry, Ron and Hermione. It's only recently that I learned the name of the fair haired boy who started the same time as them (in Philosopher's Stone), and was admitted to Slytherin; i.e. Draco Malfoy. I recently found an article about him on Wikipedia. Maybe that explains why I found it difficult understanding the fifth film onwards.

Just before Christmas, I ordered Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection (8-disc DVD set, i.e. 1 film to 1 DVD) from Amazon, and it arrived in time for Christmas 2011. I've not yet watched any of the DVDs, in fact as I type this the outer cellophane wrapper is still on the outside of the box! I'm tempted to search online for background info about every character, and learn each character's name before watching my Harry Potter DVD box set in order. Will knowing character background information help me understand the film plots better?
Old 01-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm so glad they got some nominations!
Old 01-29-2012, 12:42 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Nick (View Post)
Just before Christmas, I ordered Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection (8-disc DVD set, i.e. 1 film to 1 DVD) from Amazon, and it arrived in time for Christmas 2011. I've not yet watched any of the DVDs, in fact as I type this the outer cellophane wrapper is still on the outside of the box! I'm tempted to search online for background info about every character, and learn each character's name before watching my Harry Potter DVD box set in order. Will knowing character background information help me understand the film plots better?
Reading the books would help you understand the film plots better.

I kinda love this article. Short & sweet.

Why 'Harry Potter' Deserved More - NYTimes.com

Old 01-30-2012, 01:43 AM
Moderator Manager

Congratulations on the SAG win!

Quote:
The 2012 Screen Actors Guild Awards are set to take place this Sunday evening, but Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 already won the only category it was nominated in - Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture.
Deathly Hallows: Part 2 wins Screen Actors Guild Outstanding Stunt Ensemble award - SnitchSeeker.com

Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Will knowing character background information help me understand the film plots better?
Yes--at least knowing the character background will help you understand the film better, especially in regards to the secondary and tertiary characters.

Congrats to DH2 for the SAG win!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:34 AM
Moderator Manager

This is really scary.

Quote:
Several concept art images of Voldemort's death and disintegration, as well as the giants' faces, for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 were released by Andrei Riabovitchev, a concept artist for the final film. Those can be seen here.
New Deathly Hallows: Part 2 Voldemort's death scene, giants concept art images - SnitchSeeker.com

Old 02-03-2012, 01:42 PM
New Fan

I've played various bits of my copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 DVD. Regarding the flitting back and forth bit (question 1 on my list of questions and comments), I've found and re-watched the bit I mean.

1 hour, 12 minutes into the film, Harry throws a spinning disc, it lands on a posh looking table. Half a minute later he drops oil on it, which causes what looks like smoke trails to rise, Harry looks into the disc with swirling smoke.

Next a little girl opens a hand to reveal a daisy, "you're a freak". After more smoke, the sorting hat appears, with the response "Gryffindor". More smoke follows. Shortly afterwards there's one clip with a baby in a cot "Harry, Mumma loves you, Dadda loves you, Harry be safe, be strong". A couple clips later the sorting hat is taken off Harry Potter, clapping follows.

Later clip: Grey haired bearded old man and black haired man wearing black (looking at Wikipedia I now think he's Severus Snape) together; the following conversation follows:

It will spread Albus.

How long?

Maybe a year.

Don't ignore me Severus, we both know Lord Voldermort has ordered the Malfoy boy to murder me.

Shortly afterwards:
On the night Lord Voldermort went to Godrick's Hollow to kill Harry, Lily Potter cast herself between him, the curse rebounded.

A part of Lord Voldermort lives inside him.

Then the baby in the cot again.

Finally more smoke, Harry looks upwards from the disc, looking shocked. That's the end of that "flitting back and forth bit". To me a load of random, unrelated clips, what was all that in aid of?

After that Hary says "There's a reason I can hear the Horcruxes, I think I've known for a while." to Ron and Hermione. That happens around 1 hour and 21 minutes into the film. I hope I've now pinponted the section I mean.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:51 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Nick (View Post)
Finally more smoke, Harry looks upwards from the disc, looking shocked. That's the end of that "flitting back and forth bit". To me a load of random, unrelated clips, what was all that in aid of?
It's a flashback of what his journey has been so far, as well as that important bit you mentioned between Dumbledore & Snape about Harry in book 7 and what else happened to baby Harry and his parents in book 1. Yes it can be random to you but for me it's a sweet recap of what to expect for DH2.

Quote:
Harry Potter's final cinematic outing helped push UK box office takings past the £1 billion mark for the first time in 2011.

The film, starring Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint, was the Number 1 film of the year with an intake of £73.1 million.

Behind 'Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2', Brit flicks 'The King's Speech' and 'The Inbetweeners Movie' banked £45.7 million and £45 million respectively.

Eight of the year's Top 20 highest grossers were made in this country, according to the British Film Institute, and a total of 171.6 million tickets were sold - a 1.4% increase on 2010.

Amanda Nevill of the BFI said: "It's still a challenging time for film-makers trying to raise finance to make independent British films in this tough economic climate.

"As we enter 2012, many challenges remain but today's figures clearly show that keeping audiences at the heart of everything we do will help the British film industry to enjoy even greater success in the future and continue to be an important contributor to the UK economy."
Harry Potter Sends UK Box Office Takings Past £1bn For The First Time - Celebrity Gossip, News & Photos, Movie Reviews, Competitions - Entertainmentwise

Old 02-05-2012, 07:14 AM
New Fan

I've now looked at bits of Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, and in conjunction with Wikipedia, I've now familiarised myself with Severus Snape, Minerva McGonagall and Albus Dumbledore.

Also I've had another look at part of Deathly Hallows part 2. The bit relating to question 2 on my comments / questions list occurs 33 minutes 10 seconds into the film: the students assemble before Severus Snape.

Severus Snape says the following:
It's come to my attention, that earlier this evening, Harry Potter was sighted in Hogsmeade. Now, should anyone, student or staff, attempt to aid Mr. Potter, they will be punished in a manner consistent with the severity of their transgression. Furthermore, any person found to have knowledge of these events, who fails to come forward, will be treated as equally guilty.

Why is Snape so concerned about Harry Potter's return to Hogwarts, and why would he want to punish anyone aiding Harry Potter?

Shortly afterwards Harry Potter answers him back angrily:
I'm afraid it's quite extensive. How dare you stand where he stood. Tell them how it happened that night. Tell them how you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you and killed him. Tell them.

Please explain that.

Shortly afterwards there is some wand waving, with flames emitted (interestingly and confusingly Minerva McGonagall waves her wand at him - why?), and Severus Snape flies out through the church window.

Was this an attempt to kill Severus Snape? If so, did they succeed? Please clarify the situation.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top