Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Moderator Manager

The LotR EE was pretty good. I hope HP can come up with something as good, if not better, than that.

Quote:
On Tuesday night, Variety hosted a screening of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2" in Los Angeles as part of a campaign to build Oscar buzz for the final film in the series. Present at the screening were producers David Heyman and David Barron, along with director David Yates and actress Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix Lestrange).

Hypable has published some highlights from the Q&A, which you can read below.

Heyman on deciding where to split "Deathly Hallows:"

Initially we were nervous about ending Part 1 with Dobby’s death. Because the previous three films had ended with a death, and we thought, “Oh my gosh, this is a repetitive structure, we don’t want to do this again.” So we actually shifted [the split] to the arrival at Malfoy Manor. With Harry’s hair being pulled back, and you see the scar, and ending it on a cliffhanger. But during the editing process is became very clear that you needed some closure. And also, if we had set up Dobby in the beginning of Part 1 and then his death happened halfway or a third of a way through Part 2, we felt that wouldn’t be emotionally satisfying. So David [Yates] ultimately made the decision.

Yates explaining why they moved the Harry/Voldemort final battle outside:

In the book Voldemort confronts Harry in the Great Hall. They’re together and surrounded by children. And, because we waited so long for this final confrontation it felt more primal and spectacular to have them alone up in the ramparts of the castle. I love this notion of Harry pulling Voldemort off this high point and then conjoining in this weird and wonderful way. Because they’re sort of twins in this series of stories. And I just felt the image of them two separately in that courtyard was more iconic. And in the book, the book was terrific, but tonally it was slightly different than what we wanted to do. We went a bit earthier and a bit more grown up. Whereas in the book it’s slightly – it reads slightly younger. And Voldemort’s undermined before he’s ultimately dispatched. And so we tried to avoid that. Working with Steve [Kloves] with came up with our alternative, which felt more spectacular as well. Whizzing around Hogwarts. Together. Trying to pull each other apart. I felt that would be a more cinematic expression of what Jo started.
David Yates, Helena Bonham Carter and Producers Attend "Deathly Hallows: Part 2" Screening and Q&A in Hollywood - The Leaky Cauldron

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:44 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
I hope there will be an EE version of all 8 films soon which I'm dying to buy. Imagine all the goodies we'll get from it!
What on Earth, in the world, is an EE version?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Nick (View Post)
What on Earth, in the world, is an EE version?
An extended edition. Lord of the Rings released an extended edition of the three movies, including all the scenes that were previously cut since they had so much material left over.

I'm glad they ended DH1 with Dobby's death. It did give it more closure. I think I left DH1 sobbing because of Dobby.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Congrats to the Deathly Hallows soundtrack for its Grammy nomination!

And same goes to director David Yates, who won the John Schlesinger Britannia Award for Excellence in Directing!
Old 12-02-2011, 12:33 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiAjeM3 (View Post)
An extended edition. Lord of the Rings released an extended edition of the three movies, including all the scenes that were previously cut since they had so much material left over.

I'm glad they ended DH1 with Dobby's death. It did give it more closure. I think I left DH1 sobbing because of Dobby.
Thanks for answering, Mia. I liked that it ended with Dobby too because you wanted more and I too left the cinema crying and we were all talking about Dobby afterwards.

Congrats to the brilliant Alexander Desplat for the Grammy nomination for Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media. Well deserved as he has taken us through an emotional journey with music watching the movie.

Quote:
The soundtrack for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2," composed by Alexandre Desplat, has been nominated for a Grammy in the category of Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media.

Desplat is also nominated again in the same category for composing the score to "The King's Speech."

Winners will be announced during a ceremony at the 54th annual Grammy Awards on February 12, 2012.
"Deathly Hallows: Part 2" Soundtrack Nominated for a Grammy - The Leaky Cauldron

Old 12-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileycat (View Post)
Congrats to the Deathly Hallows soundtrack for its Grammy nomination!

And same goes to director David Yates, who won the John Schlesinger Britannia Award for Excellence in Directing!
YES! Congrats to them so much!
Old 12-04-2011, 01:22 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
When it comes to big-time Oscar campaigns, Warner Bros. is the New York Yankees of the movie world. The studio spent a jaw-dropping amount of money unsuccessfully pursuing a best picture nomination for “The Dark Knight” during the 2009 Oscar derby. Now the studio is pulling out all the stops for “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows — Part 2,” the final installment in the studio’s multi-billion-dollar Potter series.

Warners believes that even though Oscar voters have roundly ignored the past “Potter” movies, the final installment will be buoyed by the same kind of wave of affection that propelled the third film in the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy to a best picture victory in 2003. So it’s spending money like a drunken sailor. Several veteran Oscar campaigners I spoke to recently say they’ve never before seen an Oscar campaign this early in the contest with the sheer volume of ads that Warners has unleashed in recent weeks.
Read more: Studio spends big to grease Harry Potter’s Oscar wheels

Old 12-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Old 12-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Warners believes that even though Oscar voters have roundly ignored the past “Potter” movies, the final installment will be buoyed by the same kind of wave of affection that propelled the third film in the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy to a best picture victory in 2003. So it’s spending money like a drunken sailor. Several veteran Oscar campaigners I spoke to recently say they’ve never before seen an Oscar campaign this early in the contest with the sheer volume of ads that Warners has unleashed in recent weeks.
What I'm hoping for, too.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:33 AM
Moderator Manager

Let's cross our fingers!

Enjoy more new stuff here: Dozen new Deathly Hallows: Parts 1 & 2 studio shots, behind-the-scenes photos, promos - SnitchSeeker.com

Also, congrats for the nominations once again!

Quote:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 received recognition in several technical categories, including score, visual effects, and sound editing, for the 2011 International Press Academy Satellite Awards, honouring the best in film and television. Several Harry Potter actors were nominated as well for projects outside of the series, including:

• Brendan Gleeson (The Guard) and Gary Oldman (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) for Best Actor in a Motion Picture
• Kenneth Branagh (My Week with Marilyn) for Best Actor in a Supporting Role
• Bill Nighy (Page Eight) and Jason Isaacs (Case Histories) for Best Actor in a Miniseries or a Motion Picture Made for Television
• Maggie Smith (Downton Abbey) for Best Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television

The awards will be given out on December 18, 2011.

Last edited by L i N d $ @ y; 12-05-2011 at 02:43 AM
Old 12-05-2011, 04:01 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Let's cross our fingers!

Enjoy more new stuff here: Dozen new Deathly Hallows: Parts 1 & 2 studio shots, behind-the-scenes photos, promos - SnitchSeeker.com

Also, congrats for the nominations once again!
amazing pictures! i love the fifth one with Hermione/Emma<3 and congrats again for our whole magic team!
Old 12-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Moderator Manager

More For Your Consideration Ads - The Leaky Cauldron

Old 12-11-2011, 07:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

Love the shortlisting Oscar news! Crossing my fingers for Dan's wish to come true and have Alan nominated as well.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Nominations for the 2011 AFI Awards have been announced, and the Harry Potter series will be receiving a special award, as it did not fit the AFI's nomination criteria (given it was produced and directed by British filmmakers).

AFI also gave "The Artist" and the "Harry Potter" franchise special awards, recognition that is given to films that don't meet AFI's criteria, most notably that a production must be primarily American- generated.
Harry Potter film series to receive special 2011 American Film Institute AFI Award - SnitchSeeker.com

Old 12-13-2011, 12:59 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, as well as its entire ensemble cast were nominated for several 2011 San Diego Film Critics Society awards, including best adapted screenplay for screenwriter Steven Kloves. The full list of their nominations, as well as of those Harry Potter actors outside the series, like Brendan Gleeson as best actor for The Guard, can be read below. The winners will be chosen this Wednesday, December 14th.

BEST ENSEMBLE PERFORMANCE –
• CARNAGE
• HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 2
• MARGIN CALL
• MIDNIGHT IN PARIS
• THE HELP

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY –
• Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, THE DESCENDANTS
• Hossein Amini, DRIVE
• John Logan, HUGO
• Steve Kloves, HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 2
• Steve Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin, MONEYBALL

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN –
• Anne Seibel, MIDNIGHT IN PARIS
• Dante Ferretti, HUGO
• Jack Fisk, THE TREE OF LIFE
• Laurence Bennett, THE ARTIST
Stuart Craig, HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 2

BEST SCORE –
• Alexandre Desplat, EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE
• Alexandre Desplat, HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 2
• Alexandre Desplat, THE TREE OF LIFE
• Howard Shore, HUGO
• Ludovic Bource, THE ARTIST
San Diego Film Critics Society — Movie Reviews by San Diego’s Top Film Critics

Also I know most of us have seen this but here's a newly-edited montage of the HP cast farewell which includes many BTS from all 8 films that were never released before.

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top