Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2004, 08:37 AM
Master Fan

Another essay, this time it's not depressing, though. It'll make you grin like an idiot.... See?

http://talk.portkey.org/index.php?showtopic=10197

Old 12-05-2004, 12:42 PM
Master Fan

Thanks guys

adn the movie is down, im tryign to find a free place to upload movies cause my badnwidith will die if i upload the movies on my domains.

Quote:
Originally posted by *Nora*
Another essay, this time it's not depressing, though. It'll make you grin like an idiot.... See?

thank you for that link!
just finished reading it and it all make sence
Old 12-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by rubydh18
But Ron was staring at Hermione as though suddenly seeing her in a whole new light.
"Hermione, Neville's right---you are a girl...." (400, GoF)

I was thinking...
Ron didn't notice Hermione until he desperately needed a date. He also became more aware of her after she became "unavailable" so to speak. Krum showed a major interest in Hermione sparking Ron's jealousy. Hermion showing up at the Yule Ball looking pretty made Ron even more aware of her in a non-platonic fashion.
These are all the most superficial reasons to fall for someone.
I have a friend who I flirt with all the time and he reciprocates. We've never considered dating though, unless he or I begin dating someone else. Then we act immature and flirt shamelessly with each other. It's silly and neither of us has an actual interest in a healthy, good relationship with the other.
And Ron's feelings intensifiying for Hermione because she looked prettier is incredibly uncool.

Tis all!

Your post got me thinking... And it reminded me of a scene in the POA movie... Ron in GOF wants to go to the ball with a pretty girl, who's fun to be with, and he will have a good time. Hermione doesn't fit that description!. Ron has never seen hermione as pretty or fun. He seees her as boring, and smart. He doesn't look beyond the outside. I don't even think that he did that in OotP : "Oh Harry you're as bad as Ron" (after his comment about how he doesn't think that she was ugly), "well, no you're not." It's book 5, and Ron still doesn't see beyond the bookish Hermione. In POA after the Divination class where Hermione storms out, Ron commetns to Harry "Hermione was always a little mental, but now she's gone mental for all to see!" He's not even thinking about why she might have left, or shows any concerns for his friends feelings!, he's just worried because now Hermione's public image is (in his opinon) even further tainted. Ron has always been concerned with his appearance, and how he looks around others (becasue of him being poor) He's self- conscience of himself, and worrys about what others think of him. It's going on Book 6, and now that I have fully realized Ron's problems, he on't have much time to overcome that unless he steps out from "The Trio's" shadow, and becomes his own person. I also think that it is up to Ron to change before he and Hermione even stand a chance of getting together. He has a lot of growing up to do in my opinion. And Ruby, I thank you for pointing that out!
Old 12-05-2004, 02:44 PM
Loyal Fan

Can't post much because I'm late for church, but Nora that link was fabulous. Thank you for bringing it to us... very, very convincing and TRUE essay!

Luke: Dear God, yes.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Loyal Fan

Good discussions, everyone!

Having read all five books (more than once!) and devouring every clue I could find, I still find it incomprehensible that anyone could think Ron and Hermione could be a couple. From Book One Ron has said many things (too many to list in this post) that show he feels nothing but friendship for Hermione and truly does not think of her as a "girl", at least not one he would be interested in romantically. Ditto for Hermione, her words and reactions to Ron have made it clear that he is not boyfriend material to her. So we've completed 5 books of the saga and Ron and Hermione are no closer to being a couple than when they first met. For JKR to suddenly make them a couple in Book 6 or 7 would, imo, be riduculous and "out of nowhere". She has, on the other hand, continued to build H/Hr's relationship to the point where they finish each other's sentences and know what each other is thinking.

Then there's the movies. In every one so far, there have been scenes that have embellished the Harry/Hermione relationship and taken it places the books didn't show us. In SS, there was the Devil's Snare. Read the scene in the book then compare it to the movie. After Hermione falls through she calls up to Harry, "Trust me!" He does and frees himself. That's not in the book. In CoS there is, of course, the bedside scene in the hospital. Harry's stroking of her hand and the "need you more than ever" comment. Again, not in the book. And of course POA was amazing. Much more H/Hr shippiness than the book portrays. Kloves' screenplays have definitely given us the impression of just how much Harry and Hermione mean to each other. Of course, it helps tremendously that Dan and Emma have such incredible chemistry together. But to be fair, there has also been some Ron/Hermione stuff in the movies but to me it's just there to keep us guessing. The arm grab in POA was all H/Hr to me cause both times she grabbed Ron, it was her worry and concern for Harry causing it.

JKR's intentions, to me, are crystal clear. She has built a relationship between Harry and Hermione as one of trust, loyalty, friendship and caring. By book 5, it is clear that Hermione puts Harry absolutely first in everything she does, and Harry has come to depend on her like no other. By the end of the book, I think he has realized just how important she is to him but being the 15 yr old boy that he is, he hasn't realized that it's love. The Ron/Hermione relationship on the other hand is stagnant. It has not moved beyond what it was in Book One. Not an inch. With all that went on in GoF, you would have thought that if they were going to "go steady" (little joke), it would have happened in OotP. Didn't happen.

All of this just seems so clear to me. It's funny to me how shippers can perceive things so differently according to which couple they want to be together. I don't quite see how the R/Hr shippers can deny the evidence that has been so skillfully presented by many essay writers (in particular the excellent "Who Does Hermione Love") but to me if you just read the books, REALLY read the books, you cannot deny that JKR has given us all the facts we need to know that Harry and Hermione are truly soulmates and could give their hearts to no one but each other.

SharonK
JasperAlice
Katniss and Peeta: EPIC love
Old 12-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Passionate Fan

Hey Aurors! Long time no see...I figured that since I've actually read all the posts in this thread that it would be a good one for me to jump in on.

Could someone PM me the link to this new board/encyclopedia you're talking about?
Old 12-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Master Fan

Some D/E cuteness...

Awww!
Old 12-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Master Fan

they are so adorable! thanks for the pics
Old 12-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by hammergal2004
Good discussions, everyone!

Ditto for Hermione, her words and reactions to Ron have made it clear that he is not boyfriend material to her.

SharonK
Lovely post as always. Also about Hermione, she cannot make it clearer that she doesn't have romantic feelings for Ron. Harry and Hermione shippers are constantly listing reasons why R/Hr is a bad idea. Usually because Ron is insensitive and immature. Which is true enough, but Hermione can also be very insensitive toward Ron and his problems. In OoTP for example Hermione is showing indifference toward Quidditch and says:
"...at least my happiness doesn't depend on Ron's goalkeeping ability."
She KNOWS how important Ron's position on the Gryffindor team is to him and she actually makes this statement which indicates that thankfully her happiness doesn't depend on Ron's performance. And even if that's not what she meant by it she certainly doesn't put much effort in comforting Ron or even showing her support.

Not only that but Hermione is constantly belittling Ron with comments like "just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon" or calling him an "insensitive wart."
They're great friends, there's no doubt about that, but they certainly have almost no respect for each other.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by *Nora*

thanks for that
Old 12-05-2004, 06:23 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
originally posted by RubyNot only that but Hermione is constantly belittling Ron with comments like "just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon" or calling him an "insensitive wart."
They're great friends, there's no doubt about that, but they certainly have almost no respect for each other.
And the kickers think this is "sexual tension"? Hmm...when I was 14 or 15 and I liked a boy, I certainly didn't call him an "insentitive wart". That would have been a sure-fire way for him to ignore me. At least that's the way it was around my high school!

Sexual tension works much better for adults, with teenagers it gets all misunderstood. It's tough enough being a teen without throwing psychological games in the mix.

SharonK
JasperAlice
Katniss and Peeta: EPIC love
Old 12-05-2004, 06:33 PM
Part-Time Fan

You said it all my friends Aurors... i saw some interviews with Rupert and Emma and they really think that R/Hr is going to be the couple

I just can't understand that! Are they blind??
Old 12-05-2004, 06:59 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Padfoot
I just can't understand that! Are they blind??
Maybe. But to be honest I think they're following the same scheme as JKR: not talk about H/Hr ever. I mean, don't you think it's a bit odd that nobody brings up H/Hr? Like...ever? Not even like "I also liked how H/Hr worked together in PoA, that was great to watch/act out"? I mean, they all act like H/Hr weren't even IN the movie! It's just too fishy for my taste, considering the big part H/Hr played in PoA.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by hammergal2004
And the kickers think this is "sexual tension"? Hmm...when I was 14 or 15 and I liked a boy, I certainly didn't call him an "insentitive wart". That would have been a sure-fire way for him to ignore me. At least that's the way it was around my high school!

Sexual tension works much better for adults, with teenagers it gets all misunderstood. It's tough enough being a teen without throwing psychological games in the mix.

SharonK
I can't believe anyone would apply the term "sexual tension" to little kids. They've been bickering since they were both eleven. Now I know the HP fandom is crazy and filled with perverts but still realistically Ron and Hermione fight because they are extremely critical of each other and often have contempt for one another. Not because they can't wait to tear each other's robes off.

Mr. Padfoot- They're obviously being bribed to say those things. And anyway Emma can't talk she hasn't even read OoTP.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

yeah, it is strrange...they never even mention the strong bond of friendship H/Hr share. If I was a sidekick I'd be worried...JK NEVER goes with the obvious stuff.