Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014, 05:24 AM
Moderator Manager

I agree that it's quite impossible to talk about other ships when discussing your own, it's always going to be a topic of discussion. But as long as its respectable levels, then it's all good.

And thanks for explaining that Tar, very well said.

UGH, what a perfect gifset Cat.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:27 AM
New Fan

This question was asked on another forum which I answered, but a very derelict and low traffic message board compared to FF so I'll post it here for discussion:

Quote:
What are some canon moments that could be changed, especially subtly, to bring the series in line with its underlying and now-acknowledged undertone of H/Hr?
I figured I wouldn't change too much nor would I 'milk' it, considering it's already mostly in place. I'm of the belief that H/Hr wouldn't have too many "mushy" moments like cuddling or making out - it's a very deep relationship.

Quote:
1.) At some point during HBP make Ron confront Hermione about her and Harry's relationship. At this point Harry and Hermione are still mutually platonic.

Hermione states her intention to remain platonic with both - despite her feelings for Harry, which were already in place in the beginning of HBP - to keep the peace with both. Ron is mollified for the time being.

Probably would throw in a few more chemistry moments with Luna for Ron.

2.) Harry's confused about his and Hermione's relationship.

He starts to question how exactly he loves her - probably at some point in the early stages of DH or late HBP - whether it's as a friend or sister or more. Decides (smartly) to let it go for now and work it out later as there is a mission to be fulfilled.

3.) Pumpkin Pie chemistry.

It just happens constantly even if they're not aware of being affectionate or flirtatious. Just comes so naturally to Harry and Hermione that they interact this way without being conscious of it.

4.) Ron is definitely conscious of it and growing more pissy.

Eventually leads to the tent scene where Harry and Hermione are excitedly working out the connection with Gryffindor's sword, where he's just had enough. Blows up just like in DH, except subject matter is solely oriented towards the relationship between Harry and Hermione, who are shocked.

5.) Harry loses his patience. Tells Ron he's being petty and unreasonable. Ron's last straw. Leaves. Attempts to get Hermione to come with. Harry is numb at this point but doesn't want things to get worse, so also gently tries to convince Hermione to leave.

6.) Hermione won't leave Harry.

Not for Ron, not for Krum, not for her future or family or anything. Ron's had it. Leaves. Hermione runs after him crying but he disapparates. Commence regular plot pretty much, everything after Ron leaves you basically just leave untouched. Godric's Hollow scenes need no meddling whatsoever.

7.) Harry and Hermione remain platonic and subdued, but plod on with their mission.

Basically up until the dance. The Dance, that was never in the book.

At which point there's zero dialogue. No spoken words. Just actions and feelings and unspoken eye contact communication. First kiss, a brief one. No tears from Hermione. No making out like Ron/Hr at DH end. Just a simple one, but it's more than enough.

8.) Ron's return and the silver doe.

I'd have him rescue Harry and then when Riddle-Hermione and Riddle-Harry come out, have them tell Ron that they hooked up while he was gone. Uh oh! Ron looks struck dumb and looks at Harry for confirmation, which is very reluctantly given. This is one thing Harry wouldn't lie to him about, even if it hurts him.

At this point, its basically the ultimate test for Ron's friendship. The culmination of his biggest conflict that has been manifesting since book four. Him or Harry with Hermione, and Hermione finally made her choice. He now has to make his.

Ron is basically teetering on the brink, but buries the hatchet and stabs the Horcrux. Cries for a while, harder and more pitiful than we've ever seen anyone in the series so far. Poor guy. Harry hugs and rocks him while Ron gets his feelings out (his heart just got broken, he needs to), like Molly Weasley might have done when he was a child. Explains gently what transpired while he was gone. Ron doesn't say anything, but after a while they let go & return to the tent.

9.) Hermione has a positive reaction to him returning.

Doesn't try to beat him to within an inch of his life upon sight. Hugs him close for a long time like Harry did, while Harry stands to the side respectfully. After a while it's back to business.

10.) Harmony moments from here on out are mostly either very subtle or omitted entirely.

They're electing to be considerate toward Ron first.

11.) Luna in Malfoy's Manor.

Develops some minor chemistry with "Ronald". Actually elects to go with them to break into Gringotts. Nearly gets killed, but Ron goes out of his way and risks his life to save her. Weasley is her King.

Ron deserves someone who likes him for exactly as he is and not easy to anger or upset, so Luna.

12.)Obvious changes to the epilogue.
H/Hr kids. R/L kids.

Yay!
Old 02-24-2014, 02:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

That sounds so perfect Especially because it's not much different from what happened. HHr would only need subtle changes to make the romance blossom and for more readers to pick up on the chemistry. Also I loved Ron/Luna and was convinced something would happened between them because she's the type of girl who would complement him perfectly.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:57 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by {worshipfulness} (View Post)
That sounds so perfect Especially because it's not much different from what happened. HHr would only need subtle changes to make the romance blossom and for more readers to pick up on the chemistry. Also I loved Ron/Luna and was convinced something would happened between them because she's the type of girl who would complement him perfectly.
I've always seen Luna as the counterpart to Hermione in the books.

It's really a very interesting character dynamic. Luna's brave enough easy to get in Gryffindor. Gets put in Ravenclaw. Hermione ridiculously intellectual. Genius witch of her age. Gets put in Gryffindor.

Hermione's always the voice of logic, Luna says the most insane things ever.

I know this spills into the R/L ship but it's really a contrast to Ron's courting of Hermione. Ron's 'courting' of Luna - we'll call it that for the sake of argument - is done on a subconscious level, like Harmony. Compliments her in HBP - means it too - without thinking on it. Thinks she's funny.

They appreciate each other's humor, something he doesn't share with Hermione.

Ron might occasionally lose his head at her, but the most important part: Luna can take it, instead of arguing back or crying like Hermione would. People steal all her belongings out of spite? Asks politely for them back until her tormentors get guilt-tripped return them. Ron would get taken down several pegs and deflate immediately if he starts *****.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Fan

Yeah, Luna definitely appreciates Ron for who he is. She doesn't try to change him and she isn't always at wits ends with him. You're providing some very legible arguments, we definitely need a Runa thread!

I just got done reading a fic for this forum I am on, and the person had Luna call Ron unkind. I really don't think that was in character for Luna to say. Hermione might say it, especially in HBP, but definitely not Luna. It's just not in her nature to think of anyone, even Ron at his worst, as unkind.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:20 PM
New Fan

Really? I thought she did that in Half-Blood Prince...when she's comforting Hermione just before Harry asks her to Slughorn's party. Was it to his face?
Old 02-24-2014, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Fan

Maybe she said it to Hermione just to make her feel better? I don't really remember. I only read HBP once.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:39 PM
New Fan

She was talking to Harry at the time after Hermione took her belongings and ran off in a hurry (Ron made her cry in Transfiguration). I only remember it as it was a bit of a Harmony moment for Harry to get her stuff and wander around to look for her.

Then out of nowhere he asks Luna to the party. This was after the Lavender fiasco & R/Hr - H/G were all but confirmed, and my two main ships sunk and me in ruins - so I thought it was a very sweet thing to do for Harry. She's so happy and unperturbed by Harry immediately friendzoning her it cheered me up a lot. Even if she was technically a placeholder he still paid more attention to her than Parvati at the Yule Ball.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Master Fan

Dang. All of this moments were so awesome. I loved the part with Harry rocking Ron. I think that was actually my favorite part!
If you're sitting down, get on your feet. Let's wake up those who are asleep. March on, left to right to left again, our feet in sync to this rhythym, conducted by the hand of the saving One. Report, fall in line, big mission with little time. Salute, stand tall, with one voice answer the call. ... Hear us say 'Jesus.'
Old 02-25-2014, 01:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sigh, I wish JKR would write a novella with the right ending.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:55 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anck-Su-Namum (View Post)
Dang. All of this moments were so awesome. I loved the part with Harry rocking Ron. I think that was actually my favorite part!
Thank you! Yeah, he's a 17-year old kid that just had the love of his life pick his best friend, probably his worst dread for a long time. That has to be beyond devastating especially after he manned up and came back.

I do think he's mentally tough enough to get over it though, especially when he finds that Harry & Hermione as a couple isn't going to be remotely like him and Lavender snogging all over the place; they're still Harry and still Hermione. Harry will be aware of this as he was contemplating what it'd be like if Ron and Hermione hooked up in book 6. It'll be much easier to get used to.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Fan

Yeah, I think Harry and Hermione wouldn't be as in-your-face about their relationship as Ron and Lavender were.

Though, I'd imagine it'd still be painful for Ron as it was for Hermione when Ron was with Lavender. Harry would be going back against his words, the words he said when Ron destroyed the locket.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

I always saw Luna as a much better fit for Ron to be honest. She didn't get upset by his rudeness, she didn't nag him and berate him for it like Hermione did. And he wasn't as put off by her as Hermione, he found her quirky and amusing. Compare this to his always being annoyed at Hernione's intelligence and laughing at SPEW etc. For me Ron and Hernione were like two pieces of a puzzle that just didn't fit, I saw them as good friends but could never picture anything more. Ron/Luna were much more compatible in my opinion.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:03 PM
New Fan

Been trying to find a Ron-Luna thread on here, but the ones Google have turned up have all been locked.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:37 AM
Moderator Manager

Ron/Luna would have to go the UC thread - I think this thread was recently bumped up.

And I didn't like Lavender as a possible love interest for Ron. Not because I'm canon but Lavender really isn't all that.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top