Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2014, 05:59 PM
Part-Time Fan

Sorry! Won't happen again. Just got a little carried away.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:25 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monny287 (View Post)
HBP always came off as really bad fanfiction to me. It made me feel like JKR was spending a little too much time online in the fan forums and not enough developing the plot. I felt like all the characters were way out of character, especially Hermione. I also thought that the love potions thing was going to play out in the main plot and that would explain why everyone was acting so weird.

I've always loved the "never been more fanciable" quote. Harry really is so dense. I feel almost that Hermione chose Ron over Harry just because Harry never got it. She gave up on him.
They were in character (although exaggerated), but their choices were all skewed up. No wonder the Love Potion theory was born - I personally didn't believe it, but a lot of the HBP relationship sidestory just didn't make sense when you compare it to the first half of the book where a Harry-Ron-Hermione triangle was very clearly established. It creates a palpable divide between the 1st and 2nd halves of the book.

It wasn't for a while (when I was reading essays on Harmony in OotP about a month prior to the release of HBP) until I found out Hermione shows subtle signs of interest that don't take Harry's notice (3rd person POV ftw!) because he's too busy lollygagging with Cho. Was pretty floored by this.

I don't think it's him being 'thick' that's the issue. Hermione is always first with him, and vice versa Harry is always the first man in her life. They have always picked each other first and even if they didn't realize it could be seen as a romantic relationship, others saw it that way. Cho wouldn't have been so jealous of Hermione, nor Krum & Ron of Harry, if that weren't the case.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:20 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal (View Post)
First post.

DH1 was probably the best adaptation out of all 8 movies – it brought the books to life in a way that none of the others did (CoS and PP came very close though).

The dance scene. Holy ####ing hell. Immediately my conscious mind acknowledges: “Yo, this ain't in the book, dawg.” I was watching it in the theater at the time and it was apprehensive because you didn't know exactly where it was going to go. The friend that was mentioned earlier (watched CoS movie) was with me at the time. He was also entranced.

Then Harry and Hermione share a long look.

HOLY ####. Time stops. At this point I'm on the edge of my seat. I was thinking “Oh my God. They're going to kiss. They are actually going to kiss. Please make it happen....”

Couldn't breathe. Couldn't think. I don't think a single person in the theater was able to; no matter who you shipped, no matter if you hadn't read the books. Could've heard a pin drop.

Then she turns away. I felt trolled, man. I got trolled so hard by this scene. Both friend and I sighed heavily, slumped back in our seats, and shook our heads a little. We were definitely not the only ones to react that way though, but no one laughed at those who did.

It was like everyone understood the significance of that moment and what it meant to Potter fans – new, old, movie-first or bookworm.

Thank you, David Yates, for being a Harmony shipper.
Welcome to the thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monny287 (View Post)
I think it's sort of sad that the new generation of Harry Potter readers never got to experience the shipping wars. They could get ugly, but man, I had a lot of fun debating the text with people online.
I'm actually glad that they weren't around for those times. A lot of fans got turned off with the shipping wars and left the fandom. But of course there is still a good number of those who stayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec =) (View Post)
I just want to take this moment to bring up a point made in the Rules & Introductions thread.

01. Be respectful and do not bash other posters, actors, charcters or other ships. This rule is strictly enforced on this board.

Please leave discussion/bashing of Ronmione out of this thread. The HHr thread is to discuss Harry/Hermione.
Thanks for this reminder. Hopefully I will not have to remind everyone here of this again.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:24 AM
Total Fan

Has anyone read any good H/Hr fics? I haven't read any lately and i'm looking for some.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Master Fan

Well we all know I don't care what the rules say!

I do care for Linds though, so I try to be respectful.

I honestly can't remember the last time I was allowed to actually express freedom of speech and freely discuss Harry Potter here. In the end, I don't want to get banned or upset Linds so I keep my mouth shut. But it would be so awesome to be able to talk about the books like adults here someday. To not just express negative thoughts on the writing but also the characters and stories as well. I always thought (and always will) that it's completely absurd we can't bash FICTIONAL people here at FF because then real people get offended. I think if you let fake people affect you that deeply, then you don't belong at an online forum.

But that's just me I guess.
If you're sitting down, get on your feet. Let's wake up those who are asleep. March on, left to right to left again, our feet in sync to this rhythym, conducted by the hand of the saving One. Report, fall in line, big mission with little time. Salute, stand tall, with one voice answer the call. ... Hear us say 'Jesus.'
Old 02-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Fan

I don't know... I mean, when I come in this thread I just want to talk about Harry/Hermione. I don't want to talk about Ron, Ginny, Draco, Dramione or Ronmione. I want to appreciate the love we share for Harmony. But that's just me.

But yeah, it's pretty sad people are pretty sensitive and get flamed up easily. It would be nice to have a mature discussion about this (and any other HP) ship someday.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I don't know... I mean, when I come in this thread I just want to talk about Harry/Hermione. I don't want to talk about Ron, Ginny, Draco, Dramione or Ronmione. I want to appreciate the love we share for Harmony. But that's just me.

But yeah, it's pretty sad people are pretty sensitive and get flamed up easily. It would be nice to have a mature discussion about this (and any other HP) ship someday.
I just feel like it's hard sometimes to discuss Harry and Hermione without bringing up other people. Also, since everyone here is obviously Harry Potter fans and not just harmony fans, it would be fun every now and then to hear everyone's honest opinions on other aspects of the books.

But yea, a mature discussion would be nice. We should have like one day a year where we can say whatever we want and get things off our chests. lol.
If you're sitting down, get on your feet. Let's wake up those who are asleep. March on, left to right to left again, our feet in sync to this rhythym, conducted by the hand of the saving One. Report, fall in line, big mission with little time. Salute, stand tall, with one voice answer the call. ... Hear us say 'Jesus.'
Old 02-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Fan

There's a general HP discussion thread that I just bumped up.

Setting aside one day a year to get everything off our chests sounds good.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:44 PM
New Fan

It's impossible to discuss H/Hr without R/Hr coming up at some point, and vice versa with the crowd on the other side of the hill. Considering how Ron was (accidentally or not) more or less used as a plot device to clarify Hermione's commitment to Harry throughout books 4-7, the discussions just go hand in hand regardless of if there's bashing involved or not.

If you're talking about H/Hr, every moment of Ron's (and Krum's) jealousy will be already well-documented with the Harmony crowd. They're all significant ship moments.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I think it's perfectly fine to discuss other ships and characters here as long as we keep in mind that other posters here might also like the characters you're criticising. You're allowed to comment and say negative things, but bashing is not constructive I guess so that's where the forum draws the line. Saying something like "I wish Ginny would've had a different storyline because I don't think she was used well enough" is one thing and it can generate discussion that relates to HHr, but saying "I wish Ginny would die in a horrible and slow death" doesn't really add anything to our ship discussion So it's just a matter of finding the balance.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Fan

I just want to point out something important here, and it relates to Harry and Hermione as people in general. They would have been screwed more than once had it not been for Ron. He may be hot-tempered and play the idiot, but he is actually pretty bright.

The only major instance I can think of right now is after Ron returned to Harry and Hermione during their Horocrux hunt. Harry was about to say Voldemort, when Ron stopped him and warned him the word was a taboo. It gave them weeks, maybe even months, more to figure things out such as the Deathly Hallows.

Just something to think about.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:05 PM
New Fan

Quote:
I just want to point out something important here, and it relates to Harry and Hermione as people in general. They would have been screwed more than once had it not been for Ron. He may be hot-tempered and play the idiot, but he is actually pretty bright.

The only major instance I can think of right now is after Ron returned to Harry and Hermione during their Horocrux hunt. Harry was about to say Voldemort, when Ron stopped him and warned him the word was a taboo. It gave them weeks, maybe even months, more to figure things out such as the Deathly Hallows.

Just something to think about.
No one's arguing that. He's been putting his neck on the line for Harry since the first year and every other year after that except for the Triwizard Tournament. He's made of the right stuff - being a Weasley and all - but his jealousy gets in the way once his feelings for Hermione develops and brings out the nastier side.

Jealous Ron is a very different Ron.

I wish JKR hadn't used a red-herring of Ron blaming his departure on Harry's lack of direction. It was just a needless use of it as we all know it had more to do with Harry and Hermione's chemistry, and it dampened Ron's achievement of conquering his most central character conflict - that started way back in book 4 - his jealousy over Hermione.

I've always seen the trio as 'representatives' of what Hermione told Harry in their first year:

Harry - Bravery
Ron - Friendship
Hermione - (We all know it was "Love" even if she didn't answer)

Harry's courage would be tested through his quest for the Horcruxes, Ron's friendship would be tested against his conflicting jealousy for Hermione, but I was very disappointed to find that there was no true symbolic fulfillment of Hermione's role in that speech.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:23 PM
Master Fan

I know it may not seem like but I do love Ron.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I like him a lot, especially when he interacted with characters who didn't overshadow him, like Luna. His friendship with Harry was great, and let's be honest, his jealousy gave us a lot to fangirl over
Old 02-24-2014, 05:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
and let's be honest, his jealousy gave us a lot to fangirl over
As did Cho's, and Krum's.

Harmony parallels.

Last edited by tender looks; 02-24-2014 at 05:13 AM
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top