Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2003, 01:13 AM
Ben
Obsessed Fan

Questions: The all new thread presented by the omnipotent Din and Ben

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] THE HARRY POTTER QUESTION THREAD [img]smilies/star.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/hp_harry.gif[/img] Every question you have will be answered by yours truly and Din, on the proviso that you promise to worship us for our undoubtedly long reign. A good fish slapping will ensue otherwise. [img]smilies/hp_harry.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/hp_ron.gif[/img]READ THIS LIST FIRST OR ELSE!!! [img]smilies/hp_hermione.gif[/img]

*even more updated since the last one*

**This is THE thread to find all the answers to your HP questions. Look here first before starting a thread when you have a question, because you will have Ben to answer to otherwise [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].

**Keep in mind we also have a spoilers and speculations thread, so if you have a question about the future of a storyline, you can discuss it there instead of here.

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Commonly asked questions: [img]smilies/star.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/halfstar.gif[/img] When is BOOK #6 Coming out?
Nobody knows yet, maybe you should be a little more patient and let JK work her magic.

[img]smilies/halfstar.gif[/img] What is BOOK #6 Called?
Nobody knows this either, however, if you find out, then do let me know.

[img]smilies/halfstar.gif[/img] Who is the head teacher of each house?
~Gryffindor: McGonagall
~Ravenclaw: Flitwick
~Hufflepuff: Sprout
~Slytherin: Snape

[img]smilies/halfstar.gif[/img] When is the third movie coming out?
~June 4th 2004! The trailer is out there on the net, along with all the shots from the set, so if you are unaware of this then you must have been stuck under a volcano these past few months. Apparently the GoF movie is due to be released in 2005.

[img]smilies/halfstar.gif[/img] Who has replaced Richard Harris as Albus Dumbledore?
~Leonardo DiCaprio! Yes, it has been confirmed that this young shining star will wear a wig and a fake beard for a few months to "get into his role" as Albus Dumbledore. His rumoured fee for doing this movie is an estimated 9.3 million dollars.
Actually the part of Dumbledore will now be played by MICHAEL GAMBON. He's 63 years old ladies, and he's all yours!!!

[img]smilies/halfstar.gif[/img] Who will play Sirius and Lupin in the third movie?
~ Sirius Black will be played by Gary Oldman [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]
~Remus Lupin will be played by David Thewlis

[img]smilies/halfstar.gif[/img] Who is directing the third movie and replacing Chris Columbus?
~Alfonso Cuaron

[img]smilies/halfstar.gif[/img] Will the three kids (especially Daniel) return for more movies after the third?
~As far as I know they are all signed up for GoF now. Though what happens after that is anybody’s guess.

[img]smilies/halfstar.gif[/img] Is there an article/transcript thread and I missed it?
~There's no official transcript thread, but there can be. News articles are normally posted on the news thread.

[img]smilies/halfstar.gif[/img] Voldie is the heir of Slytherin? Is so, how did harry get to open the chamber?
~Answer from misssarah63: Voldemort is the heir of Slytherin...I always figured that there were two possibilities.
-Like Dumbledore said, Voldemort transferred some of his powers into Harry when the curse backfired. Maybe that's why he could get in? After all, Ginny was able to get in just acting under his influence.
-Also, it's possible that because Parseltongue is such a rare gift, only Slytherin's bloodline would have it. If Slytherin figured that nobody unrelated to him would be a Parselmouth, and that's all that's required to get into the Chamber, he could have just said only his heir could get in.

[img]smilies/halfstar.gif[/img] When will Christopher Columbus direct the 4th movie like he said in Entertainment Weekly?
No.

[img]smilies/halfstar.gif[/img] in the books how old are they anyways?
~Answer from WinterPolaris: Well, Harry had his 11th birthday in July before he started his first year, so I'd assume that they were 11 during Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone, 12 during Chamber of Secrets, 13 during Prisoner of Azkaban, 14 during Goblet of Fire, and should be 15 during the school year (5th year) in Order of the Phoenix.

[img]smilies/halfstar.gif[/img] What I don't quite understand is why Salzar Slytherin choose Tom Riddle to be the heir of Slytherin when his father was a muggle? Wouldn't he see that as a sort of risk to assign a person with a muggle parent, the job of finishing off the mudbloods in his absece?
~Answer from LaraCroft01: He didn't choose Tom Riddle to be his heir, Tom Riddle is his heir by blood on his mother's side. He probably had very little idea that one of his desentdants would give birth to a child who was a half-blood!

[img]smilies/halfstar.gif[/img] When is all the series taking place? Is there a specific year or decade?
~Answer from RoswellGirl16*: Supposidly the book #5 (not yet released) will take place in around July 31 (Harry's birthday) 1995, and 1996. So that would mean Harry started school in 1991.
And the first book started thirteen years ago when he was a baby.

[img]smilies/halfstar.gif[/img] What's a "Supreme Mugwump"?
~Answer from Captian Bligh: MUGWUMP, in American political slang, a name applied to any independent voter, and especially to those independents in the Republican party who refused to support James G. Blame, when nominated by that party for the presidency in 1884; as since adopted in England it usually means one who stays neutral and votes for no party. Originally "mugwump" (mogkionzp) was a North American Indian word, in the Massachusett dialect of the Algonquian, meaning "great man" (mogki, great; omp, man); and in New England it was used of self-conceited politicians.

[img]smilies/halfstar.gif[/img] How long will it take book 6 to come out??
~Answer from misssarah63: I'd say it's going to be another long wait, but I doubt it'll be three years this time. JKR has had an awful lot going on with lawsuits, getting married, having a baby, and everything else since GoF came out, so maybe there will be fewer distractions this time around.

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img]ALL EXISTING OPEN THREADS ON THE HARRY POTTER BOARD [img]smilies/star.gif[/img]

General Information/Discussion:

Official Fan Forum Rules
Questions - Any question you've got, we'll try to answer.
HP Chapter Analysis - Analysis of each chapter of the books.
HP Debate/Discussion Thread - Different topics to discuss every week.
HP News Thread - All news about the world of Harry Potter.
HP Fanart Thread - Manipulations, wallpapers, etc.
HP Avatars - Harry Potter Avatars and/or icons.
HP Fanfiction Thread - Fanfic recommendations, questions, links, etc.
Come in and be sorted! - Sorting Hat for the Common Rooms
HP Introductions - Introduction thread.
HP Merchandise & Costuming Thread - All Harry Potter merchandises, where and how much?
HP PoA Movie Discussion - Discussion about the third movie, as well as scoops.
HP Music Videos - Music videos found on the Internet.

Common Rooms:

Gryffindor Common Room
Ravenclaw Common Room
Hufflepuff Common Room
The Slytherin Capital Room

Shipper Threads:

Sidekicks - Ron and Hermione
Aurors - Harry and Hermione
Doppelgangers - Harry and Ginny
Fire and Ice - Draco and Ginny
Leather Librarians - Draco and Hermione
Seekers - Harry and Cho
Harry/Draco - Harry and Draco
Padoonies - Remus and Sirius
UC Thread - Unconventional Couples

(Un)Appreciation Threads:

Dan Fan Clan Thread - Appreciation for Harry Potter and Daniel Radcliffe
Ickle Ronniekins Thread - Appreciation for Ron Weasley and Rupert Grint
Granger Geeks Thread - Appreciation for Hermione Granger and Emma Watson
Firey Souls Thread - Appreciation for Ginny Weasley and Bonnie Wright
Tom Felton/Malfoy's Mermaids Thread - Appreciation for Draco Malfoy and Tom Felton
Neville Appreciation Thread - Appreciation for Neville Longbottom and Matthew Lewis
Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes [Gred & Forge] Thread - Appreciation for Fred and George Weasley and James and Oliver Phelps
OWL/Sean Biggerstaff Appreciation Thread - Appreciation for Oliver Wood and Sean Biggerstaff
The Chang Gang / Cho Charmers Thread - Appreciation for Cho Chang
Snape/Alan Rickman Appreciation Thread - Appreciation for Severus Snape and Alan Rickman
Howlers Thread - Appreciation for Remus Lupin and David Thewlis
Lucius Malfoy Thread - Appreciation for Lucius Malfoy and Jason Isaacs
Flying Animagi Thread - Appreciation for Sirius Black and Gary Oldman
Tom Riddle/Christian Coulson Thread - Appreciation for Tom Riddle and Christian COulson
*I solemnly swear ...* Marauders Thread - Appreciation for the Marauders
Dumbledore Appreciation Thread - Appreciation for Albs Dumbledore and Richard Harris and Michael Gambon
Are you loopy for Luna? Thread - Appreciation for Luna Lovegood
McGonagall appreciation Thread - Appreciation for Minerva McGonagall and Maggie Smith
Alfonso Cuarón Appreciation Thread - Appreciation for Alfonso Cuaron
The Umbridge Un-Appreciation Thread - Unappreciation thread for Dolores Umbridge
Anti-Harry Potter Thread - Uappreciation for Harry Potter
Dream Team [Ron&Harry Friendship Thread] Thread - Appreciation for Ron and Harry's friendship
HRH & ASCOP Thread - Appreciation for Harry, ROn and Hermione's friendship

Games/Off Topic:

HP ABC's
HP OT Thread
HP Post your picture thread!
HP Word/Phrase Association Game
HP Funny Screencaps
HP 250 word story
HPThis or that
Harry Potter and the Order of the Pants
HP Trivia Thread
HP Survivor

Foreign Language Threads:

British Thread - Bristish
German Thread - Germans
Gringotts AE - Australians
Brasil Thread - Brasilians
Canadian Thread - Canadians
Pinoy Thread - Filipinos
Dutch HP Embassy - Dutch and Belgians

Miscellaneous Discussion Threads:

250 Reasons why we love Harry Potter
Which Harry Potter are you?
Who is your least favorite character?
If you could ONLY pick ONE couple to end up together, which one would you choose?
James Potter: Lovable Hero OR Arrogant Jerk??
Ever wonder why Hermione was not sorted into Ravenclaw?
How do YOU read a Harry Potter book?
Frrreaky Pumpkin Juice
Are slytherins really that bad?
Percy: Good or Bad Wizard??
If you were an Animagus, what animal would you be?
Favorie Quotes from #5
What is the appropriate age for children to see the H.P. movies and read the books?
A Muggle's Complete Guide to Harry Potter
PoA Movie Rating
If Harry does prevail in book 7, how do you think he'll do it?
How Magic Works, Anyway
Ever Wonder...
Book 6/7 Speculations after Ootp *spoilers*
Hermione, Cho or Ginny? Who would you like Harry to hook up with and Why??
If You Were To See A Boggart, What Form Would It Take?
Which book is THE BEST?
HP and the OOTP General Discussion Thread
Make up your own Sorting Hat Song
Scene At The End of CoS Movie:What she didn't say in the book
Muggles and Magical Prejudices
Does Luna like Harry, Ron, or neither of them?
Will the end be the end for Harry?
What Harry Potter Names Mean (possible Spoilers)
Dosen't Hufflepuff seem to be the less liked house, or is it just me?
Lily Potter... What secrets will be revealed about Harry's mother?
Malfoy Generation Turning In Every Direction?? Who Ever Heard Of Such A Thing!!!
Harry Potter from a Sociological POV
Lupin... Ever wonder what his middle initial "J" stands for?

Ask me questions, I need them.

[ 12-30-2003: Message edited Dinny ]

[ 01-16-2004: Message edited Din ]
Old 11-19-2003, 06:11 AM
Elite Fan

More FAQ's that I've seen are "what house were James/Lily/Hagrid in". In chats, JKR said all three were in Gryffindor.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:02 PM
Loyal Fan

I was just wondering if there are any notable differences in the books printed in England and the ones printed in America? I only ask this because of the change of title of the first book (Philospher's Stone vs. Sorcerer's Stone) or was that the movie? Okay now that I've confused myself I'll leave to attempt to answer my question. Thank you very much in advance.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:54 PM
Absolute Fan

I'm confused (and, yes, very annoyed) about something. I don't know where else to say it, and since the moderators said that they would be answering the questions on this thread, I thought it would be a good place.

I thought that one of the most long-lasting goals of the Harry Potter forum was to decrease the outrageous levels of off topic discussions going on. I believed that this was going to happen, as well - weekly debate and discussion threads (in moderated quantities) being among the things to help. However, I don't understand why adding even *more* off topic threads helps the matter at all?

As of right now, this whole forum is made up of countless shipper threads, character appreciation threads, movie threads, etc. All of the above are full of off topic discussions already. There is no substantial material in any of it. So why must we have Common Room threads now, too? Why must we further drench this forum in more off topic discussions, when it is already so far down the hill? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Can someone pelase explain this to me? I'm not here to piss off the current moderators or undermine their authority. I want to know how any of this is a step in the positive direction.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:06 AM
Supreme Fan

I don't think there's too much OT in the forum [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] on the contrary, I'm glad that everywhere I go everyone is talking about HP related, books, movies or whatever, but all is related and I've never talked OT in the board since the first day I came here, I don't know why you feel there's alot of OT. For example in the Cho thread we can't stop talking about her, and she is not a character which we can talk for ages, but we manage to find new things about her everyday, or trying to figure out actresses who would play her and why, etc.

I don't share your idea [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2003, 09:32 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah8:
<STRONG>I was just wondering if there are any notable differences in the books printed in England and the ones printed in America? I only ask this because of the change of title of the first book (Philospher's Stone vs. Sorcerer's Stone) or was that the movie? Okay now that I've confused myself I'll leave to attempt to answer my question. Thank you very much in advance.</STRONG>
Apart from the name change of the first book and film, the American and International English versions are slightly different. The American version is printed in a bigger font I think, or at least the American books have more pages (they also have illustrations, which the other English books don't). There are also some spelling differences, and some of the British slang is changed, although this is done less in the later books since more American readers are becoming familiar with it.
Zapp: Come back when it's a catastrophe.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:46 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Squishy:
<STRONG>

Apart from the name change of the first book and film, the American and International English versions are slightly different. The American version is printed in a bigger font I think, or at least the American books have more pages (they also have illustrations, which the other English books don't). There are also some spelling differences, and some of the British slang is changed, although this is done less in the later books since more American readers are becoming familiar with it.</STRONG>
Thank you muchly for your answer...My appreciation has left me speechless. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2003, 04:23 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by W:
<STRONG>Is there any relation between Sirius and the owner of Madam Padifoot's tea room?</STRONG>
Actually, I'm pretty sure it's Madam Puddifoot's. *runs to get OotP*. Yeah, it's Puddifoot. So I'm sure there's no relation, although, with Rowling, I suppose you never knw, do you? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2003, 07:31 PM
Loyal Fan

About Harry opening the Chamber of Secrets...

Maybe I read this wrong, or I'm just really weird and have a totally different interpretation, but I always aassumed that Tom Riddle opened the Chamber (both times) and after it's opened by an Heir of Slytherin, only Parselmouths can get in.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:22 AM
Moderator Manager

i know that the subject of OTness has been a long standing issue here in HP.

however, i believe that there are some threads that are very much on-topic. i can say this because i regularly post in HP. i know its pretty hard to stay on-topic ALL THE TIME, but the posters are doing their best. there has been a time that i didn't post as much in HP and yup, OT everytime. but once you do post again, encourage posters to be on-topic (which i do sometimes, i know this isn't my board but i'm a mod) and have a good discussion thing going on, the thread will run.

its hard enough to stay on-topic for the most part. the mods can have it their way if they want to close a thread that are off-topic. but if we take out all the common rooms, shipper threads, game threads, appreciation threads, etc. we only have discussion threads left for the movie & books and that's it? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] i'm sure fans and posters alike don't really want that.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet. ✨

Old 11-25-2003, 02:53 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
meaning behind the name 'Grimmauld'
does it have a meaning? how exciting! [img]smilies/clap.gif[/img] tell me, I'm not English so if it has a meaning I didn't know it

Quote:
Maybe I read this wrong, or I'm just really weird and have a totally different interpretation, but I always aassumed that Tom Riddle opened the Chamber (both times) and after it's opened by an Heir of Slytherin, only Parselmouths can get in.
well, I didn't notice thta! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] I've always thought that Tom Riddle opened the Chamber the 1st time, but Ginny opened it the 2nd time.. but you are right, only a parseltongue is supposed to open it, so Ginny can't so it, however Rowling wrote it in a way that I assumed that Ginny opened it the 2nd time.. now I don't know what to think.. I'll read the book again , yeah

I absolutely agree with you Xi Men
Old 11-25-2003, 05:52 AM
Elite Fan

Grimmauld place- grim old place.
I didn't get it, either [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2003, 09:35 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by fetch:
<STRONG>Grimmauld place- grim old place.
I didn't get it, either [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]</STRONG>
ouch! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] thanks
Old 11-25-2003, 12:55 PM
Addicted Fan

When will Dan Radcliffe's mother say that he can do other Harry Potter movies?

Opting for a producer-only role this time, director Chris Columbus passes the Harry Potter baton off to Alfonso Cuarón for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, the third film in the series. Daniel Radcliffe returns as the bespectacled young wizard who is now in his third year at Hogwarts. After an incident that sees his anger get the best of him, Harry runs away from the school. Unfortunately, the magical wunderkind soon learns that Sirius Black (Gary Oldman) has escaped from Azkaban prison and is after him.

How long will Harry leave Hogwart's for? Why does Harry run away fom Hogwart's? Why is Sirius Black after Harry for what?

[ 12-07-2003: Message edited Erica ]
Old 11-26-2003, 12:32 PM
Absolute Fan

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] Hey everyone

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Does anyone know where we can adopt clones of our favorite characters?

[img]smilies/daisy.gif[/img] MITH [img]smilies/daisy.gif[/img]