Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-02-2005, 10:59 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunieGrl
I just got in a little bit ago from seeing this movie. I went for the 8 o clock show and that one and the 8:30 were sold out so had to wait till 9:45 to see it. My eyes were glued to the screen for the most part. Some of it was kinda hard to watch. It's kinda violent in parts but there were also parts that had the crowd laughing. Since I'm such a huge Josh fan I go see/rent any movie he is in. I had no plans tonight so I went and saw it. Josh is really not in it that much. A few at the first and at the end. It was a well made movie though. I think people should at least try watching it. It was definately a different kinda movie and that made it even better. I overall liked the movie. Very unique. I'm no movie critic but I think everyone should at least give it a try.
Hey, I play parts like that all the time in plays. I find them to be very satisfying. I'm not saying I seduce women all the time onstage, but I always come in at the end and do something important (usually I take the bad guy away- once I got to blow him away. That was great fun). The Man's (as Josh Hartnett is credited) scene at the beginning set up the tone of the film very well, and his reappearance at the end kept the movie from ending on a complete down note.

Honestly, I've never really like him, but he did a great job here, even if he was at least ten years too young for the part. I even liked Jessica Alba in this movie, and I normally hate her. I get so sick of being expected to like her because she's hot just because I'm a guy. Carla Gugino is the real deal in this cast- beauty, talent...among other things.

Anyway, that's my opinion. BTW- in case anyone asks me, yes I am a Sin City fan, and no, I don't believe the man ever appearred again.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Elite Fan

I saw "Sin City" last night and I enjoyed it very much.

Despite being in it a short amount of time, Josh did a good job. He was very sexy and mysterious.

I definatly recommend the movie. It's a tad out there, but it is definatly worth your time and money.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Master Fan

'Sin City' No. 1 at Weekend Box Office
Sunday April 3, 12:37 PM ET

"Sin City" proved an irresistible temptation for audiences as the highly stylized comic-book adaptation led the weekend box office with a $28.1 million debut.

Opening in second place was Queen Latifah's comedy "Beauty Shop," a spinoff of the "Barbershop" franchise, which took in $13.5 million for the weekend, according to industry estimates Sunday. Since opening Wednesday, "Beauty Shop" had grossed $17.3 million.

The comedy "Guess Who," the previous weekend's top-grossing movie, slipped to No. 3 with $13 million, lifting its 10-day total to $41.3 million.

Overall, movie revenues slipped for the sixth straight weekend. The top 12 movies took in $98.3 million, down 14 percent from the same weekend last year, when "Hellboy" and "Walking Tall" opened on top of the box office.

The slump follows a healthy start to 2005 in which movie revenues had surged about 10 percent ahead of 2004's. Revenues now are running even with last year's at about $2 billion heading into Hollywood's busy season.

"Summer's coming, and summer better save the day," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations. "Better to have a slow pre-summer than a slow summer, I guess."

"Sin City" is adapted from Frank Miller's noirish comics in a wicked town filled with tough guys and gorgeous dames. The movie's huge cast includes Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke, Benicio Del Toro, Jessica Alba, Rosario Dawson, Clive Owen, Elijah Wood, Alexis Bledel and Brittany Murphy.

Director Robert Rodriguez, who had Miller on the set as co-director, shot the actors against green-screen backgrounds, adding the jutting buildings, shadowy interiors and other backdrops later through computer-generated imagery.

The movie is presented largely in stark black and white, with a few splashes of color to highlight such images as splatters of blood, a woman's blond hair or a red dress.

Rodriguez, whose films range from the "Spy Kids" family franchise to the violent thrillers "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" and "From Dusk Till Dawn," is a multitasking director who handles his own shooting, editing and many other duties. His economical work ethic produces movies that resemble big Hollywood productions costing $100 million or more, only at a fraction of the price.

Costing about $40 million to make, "Sin City" grossed nearly three-fourths of its production budget in just the first weekend, putting the movie on the fast track to profitability.

"That's the genius of Robert Rodriguez," said Josh Greenstein, head of marketing for Dimension Films, the Miramax banner that released "Sin City" and the "Spy Kids" flicks. "His way of working is very cost-effective."

"Beauty Shop" stars Latifah reprising the hairdresser role she originated in "Barbershop 2: Back in Business," this time opening her own salon filled with wacky employees and customers.

With females making up two-thirds of the audience, distributor MGM figured "Beauty Shop" would have some longevity in theaters.

"Females, they don't rush out to the movies the first weekend, so I think this one's going to hang around for a while," said Erik Lomis, MGM head of distribution.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/weekendboxofficea.html

Great news
Old 04-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Passionate Fan

saw it today, and while I thought the movie was just ok...Josh's scenes were two of the very best in the whole movie, done in such a suave way...that only josh can do!
Old 04-03-2005, 10:28 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Flagg
Hey, I play parts like that all the time in plays. I find them to be very satisfying. I'm not saying I seduce women all the time onstage, but I always come in at the end and do something important (usually I take the bad guy away- once I got to blow him away. That was great fun). The Man's (as Josh Hartnett is credited) scene at the beginning set up the tone of the film very well, and his reappearance at the end kept the movie from ending on a complete down note.

Honestly, I've never really like him, but he did a great job here, even if he was at least ten years too young for the part. I even liked Jessica Alba in this movie, and I normally hate her. I get so sick of being expected to like her because she's hot just because I'm a guy. Carla Gugino is the real deal in this cast- beauty, talent...among other things.

Anyway, that's my opinion. BTW- in case anyone asks me, yes I am a Sin City fan, and no, I don't believe the man ever appearred again.

I hope you don't think I was dissing this film. I loved all aspects of this movie. I am just such a Josh Hartnett fan I would love to see him more in anything but he definately played his parts well.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Fan

For all those who care Sin City is out in the UK on June 3rd!
Dom:"If he was a girl, I'd marry him today! I've been suggesting to Billy a sex change, but he really feels quite manly about things [Billy shouts, "I love women!"]. Yes, he's really passionate about women, as I am."
Billy:"Dom's an idiot."
Keeper Of Dom's Arms

Icon by zia319
Old 04-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Dedicated Fan

I loved this movie! Someone please help! What was Josh's character suppose to be? Like was he a serial killer...or what? I didn't quite get his character.. HELP!

Wilder: Did I? I must have been trying to rationalize some bad behavior at the time. I use the wife & kid bit to get me out of things I don't wanna do.

Jo: You're serious? You just lie?

Wilder: No, I don't lie. I, uh, I create characters.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:26 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey4pacey
I loved this movie! Someone please help! What was Josh's character suppose to be? Like was he a serial killer...or what? I didn't quite get his character.. HELP!
He was an assassin. I get the impression his specialty is killing women, as he can charm them so well they never see it coming. I'm assuming that Gail and the Old Town girls hired him to kill Becky.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks! But why at the beginning did he say he would cash her pay check? Or did he say his paycheck? It would make sense that he is an assassin if he said his...but i could've sworn he said he'll cash her paycheck. That's what confused me....

Wilder: Did I? I must have been trying to rationalize some bad behavior at the time. I use the wife & kid bit to get me out of things I don't wanna do.

Jo: You're serious? You just lie?

Wilder: No, I don't lie. I, uh, I create characters.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:07 PM
New Fan

I always figured by "her check" he meant the check he would get for killing her.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:36 AM
Master Fan

man they changed the european thing for sin city moving it to june instead of late april cause it´s going to Cannes Film Festival

but yeah for the movie though thats a big thing being asked to cannes
Old 04-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Master Fan

'Sahara' Tops 'Fever Pitch' at Box Office
By DAVID GERMAIN, AP Movie Writer

LOS ANGELES - Matthew McConaughey's "Sahara" heated up the weekend box office, with the action flick set in the African desert debuting at the top with $18.5 million. Audiences gave a cooler reception to "Fever Pitch," the weekend's other new wide release. The Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon baseball romance opened in third place with a so-so $13 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

The previous weekend's No. 1 movie, "Sin City," slipped to second place with $14.1 million, lifting its 10-day total to $50.7 million.

In limited release, Stephen Chow's raucous action comedy "Kung Fu Hustle" had a big opening with $293,025 in seven theaters, averaging a whopping $41,861 per cinema. "Sahara" averaged $5,866 in 3,154 theaters, and "Fever Pitch" reaped $3,979 in 3,267 locations.

Already a hit in Asia, "Kung Fu Hustle" features writer-director Chow as a two-bit crook in pre-revolution China whose antics land him in the middle of a showdown between mobsters and martial-arts heroes. "Kung Fu Hustle" expands to nationwide release April 22.

Hollywood's box-office slump continued as overall revenues remained down for the seventh-straight weekend. The top 12 movies took in $80.3 million, off 18 percent from the same weekend last year.

Revenues for the year have fallen slightly behind those of 2004, when Hollywood rang up record domestic grosses of $9.4 billion.

"Sahara," adapted from Clive Cussler's adventure novel, stars McConaughey, Penelope Cruz and Steve Zahn as adventurers who turn up a long-lost Civil War vessel in the desert and try to stop a plague spreading through Africa.

Distributor Paramount had expected the movie to debut in the $15 million range, said Wayne Lewellen, head of distribution.

"This is a good, solid opening I think for this film," Lewellen said. "It played well particularly in the middle of the country, which always bodes well for it holding up."

"Fever Pitch," directed by the Farrelly brothers from Nick Hornby's memoir about his sports obsession, stars Barrymore as a career woman who stumbles into a relationship with a man whose world revolves around the Boston Red Sox.

"It may have alienated guys with too much romance, and it may have alienated women with too much baseball," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations.

But women made up 58 percent of the audience for "Fever Pitch." That may bode well for the movie's long-term prospects, since films appealing to women often have a longer shelf life than movies aimed at men.

"These romantic comedies tend to leg out. They play on and on," said Bruce Snyder, head of distribution for 20th Century Fox, which released "Fever Pitch." Barrymore's "Never Been Kissed" had an $11.4 million opening weekend and held on to do a solid $52.4 million when its domestic run ended, he said.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at North American theaters, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "Sahara," $18.5 million.

2. "Sin City," $14.1 million.

3. "Fever Pitch," $13 million.

4 (tie). "Beauty Shop," $7.1 million.

4 (tie). "Guess Who," $7.1 million.

6. "Robots," $4.65 million.

7. "Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous," $4.1 million.

8. "The Pacifier," $3 million.

9. "The Ring 2," $2.9 million.

10. "The Upside of Anger," $2.6 million
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._mo/box_office
Old 04-11-2005, 02:54 PM
Loyal Fan

I'll probably ruin everything by saying that I thought the movie was duller than I expected. Josh's part was great, regardless of how long it was.

~ Carla
Old 04-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Elite Fan

I liked the movie but to me, it's the type of movie I'll only see once, possibly twice but a long time from now.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:26 AM
Master Fan

i still got months til i see it