Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-14-2005, 03:46 AM
Master Fan

Eckhart Joining Black Dahlia?
Core star reportedly reuniting with Swank

March 11, 2005 - De Palma a la Mod reports via BrianDePalma.net that Aaron Eckhart has replaced Mark Wahlberg in the cast of director Brian De Palma's The Black Dahlia. The noir mystery based on James Ellroy's novel begins filming shortly in cost-effective Bulgaria.

The project would reunite Eckhart with his co-star from The Core, Oscar-winner Hilary Swank. Scarlett Johansson and Josh Hartnett also star.

As Variety has said, The Black Dahlia "revolves around two boxers-turned-cops investigating the brutal murder of Elizabeth Short, a crime that rocked 1940s Los Angeles."

My review of Josh Friedman's old draft can be found here.

In related news, the Los Angeles Times chatted with Dahlia exec producer Avi Lerner about shooting the $68 million indie film in Bulgaria. "A good carpenter in L.A. costs $2,000 a week, but a carpenter in Bulgaria costs maybe $250 a week," said Lerner.

"Since a normal salary in Bulgaria is $150 a week, we're paying them more money than they could normally earn, so I'm helping their economy and saving us money."

Meanwhile, production designer Dante Ferretti advised Bloomberg.com that Black Dahlia is "a completely different story" than his last set-in-L.A. period pic, The Aviator.

"Howard Hughes's story was set in glamorous places. The Black Dahlia is about very low society. I did a lot of research in L.A.'s old police stations and poor neighborhoods."

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/359/359218p1.html
Old 03-14-2005, 03:46 AM
Master Fan

Old script review
Old 03-14-2005, 11:32 AM
Master Fan

ECKHART CONFIRMED FOR DAHLIA

HR SAYS FILMING BEGINS NEXT MONTH
The Hollywood Reporter today (Monday, March 14th) confirms that Neil LaBute's number one go-to guy, Aaron Eckhart, will take a starring role as "one of the officers" in Brian De Palma's The Black Dahlia. This confirms last week's posting from "FROSTY LADY" at the briandepalma.net forum (thanks, FROSTY!). The HR article mentions that "Josh Hartnett portrays the other cop," and also that Hilary Swank and Scarlett Johansson have been cast. Shooting will take place next month in Bulgaria, according to the article.

http://www.angelfire.com/de/palma/
Old 03-15-2005, 09:26 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the news! I have never seen a movie with this person but there's a first time for everything.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:12 AM
Master Fan

yep me neither never heard of this guy before but i´ll give him a fair hearing
Old 03-16-2005, 10:40 AM
Elite Fan

As long as he is a good actor, I am game.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Master Fan

NEW FACE FOR DAHLIA
JUDITH BENEZRA WILL PLAY BARTENDER

Judith Benezra will play a bartender in The Black Dahlia, her agency confirmed today. Benezra is a stand-up comic who gained recognition by writing, producing, and performing the one-woman show Sweet Bitter Tart a few years ago. She has appeared in several films since then.

never heard of this one either
Old 03-17-2005, 04:01 PM
Master Fan

ONE DAY AFTER OSCAR
FERRETTI WENT BACK TO WORK ON DAHLIA IN SOFIA:

Patrimonio sos ran an interview March 6th with production designer Dante Ferretti, saying the Oscar winner had not had much time to celebrate winning the Oscar for his work on The Aviator. The day after winning the award, Ferretti and his wife/co-winner Francesca Lo Schiavo returned to Sofia, Bulgaria, to continue a daring task: reconstructing Los Angeles on the Bulgarian studio sets of Brian De Palma's The Black Dahlia. When asked by the Italian newspaper where the couple's Oscars were, Ferretti said that he entrusted them to his sons, in their house in Rome. This lead to a question of why Rome, when Ferretti and family spend most of their time in Miami, where they have a house? "Because deep down our true house is in Rome," said Ferretti, "even if by now we live everywhere and we have a house in Miami where we are the greater part of the time. But my most beautiful memories are of Rome, where I have my roots."

RECONSTRUCTING LOS ANGELES, ACCORDING TO SCRIPT
Ferretti was then asked why they are constructing Los Angeles in Bulgaria-- would it not have been easier to film in Los Angeles itself? "If someday I will have to reconstruct Sofia in Los Angeles, it is my destiny. It would have been much simpler to film in Los Angeles, but it is an issue of money. In Bulgaria it all costs less. It is a decision that comes from the producer and nobody can say anything." [Note: Mark Wahlberg had said the producers wanted to shoot 1940s Los Angeles in Bulgaria, and that was why he dropped out of the Black Dahlia project.] Ferretti was then asked about transforming the Los Angeles exteriors of today to resemble the exteriors of the past. [Note: Not sure if this question is in regards to the idea that some exterior shots will be filmed in Los Angeles.] "We have chosen all the locations already," Ferretti said, "true places. But they will be re-adapted, altered from those of the written ones and the display windows that once not were. This is my trade. When the films are watched in the cinema it all seems natural, even though, behind the things that seem natural there is a lot of work." Ferretti said that his work stems from the script of the film. "Before I begin I must understand the screenplay. Through the acclimatizations and the scenography I must give life to the story. It is important therefore to read the screenplay well and to ponder on it. Then I begin to do research on that period and the type of atmosphere that I must realize." Ferretti is then asked if that is the most difficult part of the job: "No, the research is a rather easy phase. The difficult part, but also the most beautiful, is to design. Designing the scenes, I make the sketches and the three-dimensional models to show the director." Ferretti goes on to discuss The Aviator and Martin Scorsese, ending with a discussion on filming in Italy. "It would appeal to me to work in Italy, as we are Italian. But the cinema in Italy, goodness knows for whatever reason, does not make more, but always less. And therefore we are working in Bulgaria."

Old 03-22-2005, 04:17 AM
Master Fan

Brian de Palma Film to Feature Bulgarian "Thug"

Bulgarian actor Ivo Krustev has been chosen for a gangster part in the latest Brian de Palma film, the producers said in a press release.

Most of the Black Dahlia production will be filmed in Bulgaria, starting April 1.

Superstar actor Josh Hartnett and his colleague Aaron Eckhart have already arrived in Bulgaria, and are currently shaping up for the fighting scenes.

Black Dahlia's credited cast also includes young Hollywood divas Hilary Swank and Scarlett Johansson.

More Bulgarian actors will have the chance to partner the top celebrities, it emerged Tuesday. The producers of the movie said that they would run more screen tests on local applicants.

Filming is expected to continue for ten to twelve weeks.

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=45851
Old 03-22-2005, 09:47 PM
Elite Fan

Oh, I bet we will be getting some on-the-set pictures soon.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:35 PM
Master Fan

Oh that would be to my liking

MIA TAKES ON THE DAHLIA
L WORD STAR A PERFECT FIT FOR ICONIC ROLE

She's comfortable with nudity, comfortable with women, and possesses a striking and haunting "exotic" beauty. According to elmundo.es, Mia Kirshner has taken on a role in Brian De Palma's The Black Dahlia. And according to a tip from "ghost" at the briandepalma.net forum, Kirshner will play the title role: the Dahlia (Elizabeth Short) herself. Kirshner, who starred in Atom Egoyan's unforgettable Exotica when she was 16, has been getting noticed lately for her work on Showtime's The L Word, where she plays a heterosexual woman who has been seduced by a lesbian. Playing the subject of Hollywood's "most notorious" unsolved murder is an interesting choice for the actress, who is also working on a book called "I Live Here," which, according to the JHU Gazette, is "an examination of the unsolved murders of hundreds of young women along the Texas-Mexico border over the past 11 years."

Old 03-27-2005, 05:10 PM
Master Fan

WSJ QUESTIONS DE PALMA'S DAHLIA
AND BULGARIAN SET PICS FROM LOCAL NEWSPAPER

John Lippman wrote a piece about The Black Dahlia in the Friday (March 25 2005) edition of the Wall Street Journal. Lippman's article questions why Brian De Palma's upcoming film of James Ellroy's novel will not incorporate the apparently conclusive findings of Steve Hodel, who claims in his recent book, Black Dahlia Avenger, that his own father, George Hodel, was the one who murdered Elizabeth Short (who was dubbed "The Black Dahlia" by the media, inspired by the title of a recent film at the time, The Blue Dahlia, and the fact that Short was known for wearing black). Ellroy supports Hodel's conclusion in a forward written for the paperback edition of Hodel's book, but has said previously that De Palma's film will reflect Ellroy's novel, which is his own fictional vision of characters surrounding Short's murder. Some of the characters in Ellroy's novel, which provides its own answer to the identity of Short's killer, are based on real people. To date, no one has ever actually been charged in Short's murder.

CASE UNSOLVED
Hodel told Lippman that he is concerned people will get confused about the facts when they see De Palma's film. While Hodel says it is to Ellroy's credit that "he recognizes the case has been solved," he also contends that "there are a whole lot of readers out there who believe [Mr. Ellroy's novel] is what really happened." But Ellroy tells Lippman that it is perfectly fine if people are confused. "Steve has to get over it," said Ellroy. "People are going to believe what they're going to believe." Lippman points out that as far as the authorities are concerned, the case remains unsloved. Avi Lerner, producer of De Palma's film, agrees. "I think it's unsolved," he told Lippman. "It's still one of the biggest mysteries of the century."

THE ULTIMATE MOVIE ANSWER TO THE BLACK DAHLIA
Lerner told Lippman that the film will cost about $68 million, and that to save money the film will shoot in Bulgaria, "with outdoor shots in Los Angeles." [The picture to the left is from Bulgarian newspaper 24 Hours, and shows part of the Bulgarian sets for the film. The picture was taken about three weeks ago.] Lippman states that the film does not have a major-studio distributor yet, "but based on the cast, it is widely expected to get one." Lippman plays up the cast in the article, beginning his article with the following:

For 56 years since a lurid murder dubbed "the Black Dahlia" first gripped Los Angeles, it was a whodunit without a solution.

Now, not long after the case was apparently solved in a 2003 book -- written by the son of the alleged killer -- Hollywood has another mystery on its hands: Why doesn't an all-star new movie incorporate the book's account?

Next month, director Brian De Palma will begin filming "The Black Dahlia," starring Scarlett Johansson and two-time Oscar winner Hilary Swank, and based on a 1987 novel by James Ellroy. That book used many real-life people as characters but invented a culprit.

The article also features pictures of Swank and Josh Hartnett, and mentions Aaron Eckhart, all as stars of the film. Asking why the filmmakers are not "changing their story" to accomodate Hodel's Ellroy-supported conclusions, Lippman was unable to get ahold of De Palma, but did talk to Josh Friedman, the screenwriter who he says spent seven years writing the script. Friedman told Lippman that he sees his job as preserving Ellroy's story, "even if it is fiction." Friedman says that if Ellroy's story is not "the ultimate answer to the Black Dahlia, then hopefully ... the ultimate movie answer to the Black Dahlia." Hodel, meanwhile, almost made a film of his own account with Warren Beatty, but the star/director felt he could not devote the time needed to do the project justice. Now, Finding Neverland-director Marc Foster wants to produce a movie based on Hodel's book. Ellroy told Lippman he believes "the best way for Steve to take his story to the world is to do a documentary."

HARTNETT TRAINING AT GRAND HOTEL SOFIA
I mentioned the Bulgarian newspaper 24 Hours above, with the pictures from the Bulgarian sets of The Black Dahlia taken approximately three weeks ago, while they were still being built. The newspaper featured an article about the film in its March 23rd edition, saying that "Pearl Harbor star Josh Hartnett" is undergoing boxing training at the Grand Hotel Sofia, in order to get into proper condition "for the upcoming shooting of The Black Dahlia." (The Sofia News Agency had mentioned earlier this week that costar Aaron Eckhart was undergoing similar training with Hartnett in Bulgaria.) The paper said that costars Hilary Swank and Scarlett Johansson were expected to arrive in one week.

Old 03-27-2005, 06:33 PM
Master Fan

Wow, I Really can not wait to see this movie, I was afraid to come, cause I like to be surprised about the movies, especially with the actors that i love, I just like to know that they are working and will be gracing my big screen soon, But I coulnt resist this. the title sounded so forbidden.

I really like this line up too, Josh, Mark and Scarlette.. hopefully this movie will do well.

I agree... I seeing Josh in a uniform, but this time, he will be well defined....
Old 03-28-2005, 09:49 AM
Master Fan

aww sweetie mark dropped out of the project and was replaced by Aaron Eckhart whom we don´t know much about but whoopie still josh and scarlett
Old 03-28-2005, 09:48 PM
Elite Fan

I'm still sad Mark dropped out of the movie but I hope this Aaron guy ends up proving himself worthy.

I am looking forward to seeing Josh and Scarlett interact with one another. I've never seen her acting before. Will they be each others love interests, right?