Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Master Fan

how can they keep adding cast member when the film is already shooting?
Old 05-27-2005, 01:56 PM
Master Fan

don´t know

here is a report from the set http://briandepalma.online.fr/dahlianoir2.htm

josh´s part

I came the first day on the set, in the middle of the fabulous works of Dante Ferretti. Sue, the script supervisor, introduce me to the whole crew (the crew is international, there were americans, tcheques, italians, bulgarians, french...). I meet again Brian, we shaked hands and don't speak a lot - he's very busy. I meet Gina, Brian's AD, somebody who's really wonderful - her patience and her kindness helped me lot during my trip. She's one of the best person I've ever met. I meet Josh Hartnett, who's playing Bucky, the main character of James Ellroy's novel. We talked about my website, about his character, other De Palma movies, and the famous works of Ferretti. I discovered somebody who's really smart, very friendly, obviously in the skin of his character (he had to play it three years ago, when David Fincher had to make the film, but the project broke down)... I discovered that Brian is somebody who like to work with three cameras for a same scene. What I saw on the monitors was simply fan-tas-tic!

Old 05-31-2005, 07:37 PM
Master Fan

OK, ell gave me the sites she visits for this information, So hopefully I will find some new info and bring it by tomorrow
Old 06-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Master Fan

Hey all. I am back with some news on this film, all of the credit belongs to the Depalma site.

Posted May 30 2005
PANKOW IS DAHLIA EDITOR
11TH COLLABORATION WITH DE PALMA

With all of this new information coming in from Romain's reports, we almost forgot to note that Bill Pankow is the editor already at work on The Black Dahlia. On his last day visiting the Dahlia set last week, Romain met Pankow briefly. Pankow has previously worked on ten films with Brian De Palma, including some wonderful work with split screens in Snake Eyes and Femme Fatale. Early in his career, Pankow was an assistant to Jerry Greenberg on Dressed To Kill and Scarface, the latter of which he was recently called upon to splice into another film he was working on, Paid In Full. Brett W. Leitner interviewed Pankow for Bill Fentum's Directed by Brian De Palma Web site upon the release of Femme Fatale in 2002

Posted May 30 2005
ROMAIN'S DE PALMA INTV.
EXPANDED ROLE FOR MIA; HORNER 'ONE OF THE BEST'

Romain's interview with Brian De Palma is up at Brian de Palma, le virtuose du 7ème art. In it, De Palma talks about: taking on The Black Dahlia after David Fincher tried to develop a script with Art Linson for years; "simplifying" James Ellroy's material (too many subplots for a film about what is already a complex subject); expanding the part of Elizabeth Short (played by Mia Kirshner) to involve the audience more with her tragedy; why he chose James Horner to score the film ("Because he's one of the best composers around in Hollywood today"); and much more, including pictures of De Palma with William Finley (one of which is above left).

There is more on the way
Old 06-01-2005, 07:15 PM
Master Fan

more info

Posted May 28 2005
ROMAIN VISITS DAHLIA SET
INTERVIEW WITH DE PALMA TO COME

Romain Desbiens, webmaster of Brian de Palma, le virtuose du 7ème art, was a guest on the set of The Black Dahlia last week. He just returned from Bulgaria yesterday, and has posted a page of daily report briefs, which you can read here. Romain conducted an interview with De Palma about the film, which he is working on transcribing (look for it in a few days). While he was there, Romain met star Josh Hartnett, who told Romain that he loved John Travolta's character in De Palma's Blow Out. He also met several other actors, including one we hadn't yet known was cast in Dahlia: Steve Eastin, who plays a detective in the film. According to Romain, Mike Starr is playing Russ Millard. Other tidbits are that De Palma uses three cameras on a scene (Romain: "What I saw on the monitors was simply fan-tas-tic!"), and on three occasions, there were some problems with the negatives in the Bulgarian labs, and several scenes had to be reshot. There are many other interesting tidbits (including the fact that Romain took a new photo of De Palma with William Finley, who Romain saw acting in a scene with Aaron Eckhart); read them for yourself right here

Posted May 27 2005
SCARLETT ON DE PALMA, DAHLIA
"A FILM NOIR PRECISELY TO FILM NOIR STANDARDS"

IGN Film Force talked to Scarlett Johansson earlier this week. After
asking the actress to contrast working with Michael Bay to working with Woody Allen ("when I told Woody that I was doing a Michael Bay movie, he was like, 'Who?'"), interviewer Jeff Otto asked her to compare Bay with Brian De Palma:
Michael is so incredibly energetic. He never leaves the set. I was convinced he never went the bathroom for five months… Brian is a 65-year-old man. He's been doing it for a long time. He ends his workday at 5:30. We start at eight, we end at 5:30. It's very civil. (Laughs) He's very quiet. It's a totally different experience because we're doing a film noir drama precisely to the film noir standards, so it's a different kind of focus that he has. Michael is busy directing 300 extras on a huge, huge action movie, where as The Black Dahlia is so much lying and a whole twisted story. Brian is only focusing on the actors. There's not much, other than a couple of really gory and violent [scenes]… Which Brian does very well. (Laughs) And sex and all of that fantastic stuff that he can do so well. It's a character-driven film completely… It's a totally different experience…

Scarlett also says in the interview that because she decided to do another movie with Woody Allen, scheduling conflicts keep her from doing Mission: Impossible 3 with Tom Cruise.
(Thanks to Tim C!)

Posted May 24 2005
TOYER ON FAST TRACK
WEINSTEIN CO. WILL FUND, DISTRIBUTE DE PALMA FILM
According to Donal, writing at the Juliette Binoche, A French Dream forum, a Sunday Times article from this past weekend stated that Brian De Palma's adaptation of Gardner McKay's two-act play Toyer has been put on the fast track. This comes as a result of the new deal between producer Tarak Ben Ammar and the Weinstein Co., which was struck at last week's Cannes Film Festival. Donal summarizes that the "Weinstein Co. will complete the funding of the film, formerely at Franchise Pictures, and in return will distribute it in the U.S. and Canada. The plan is to get the film into production as soon as possible after De Palma wraps his current film." Donal suggests that it will be difficult to pin down Juliette Binoche, who is set to play the female lead, as she has several films scheduled to shoot in the next year. Binoche is currently in London shooting Anthony Minghella's Breaking And Entering, which will finish filming in July. Colin Firth is to play the title character in Toyer.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerPotterWhitterEvans
how can they keep adding cast member when the film is already shooting?
I guess some filmmakers like to work progressively.

Quote:
I discovered somebody [Josh] who's really smart, very friendly, obviously in the skin of his character (he had to play it three years ago, when David Fincher had to make the film, but the project broke down)...
That is SOOOO comforting! Someone who recognizes Josh's true personality. Squee!

~ Carla
Old 06-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Master Fan

I will hopefully be back with more Josh Info Tomorrow
Old 06-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Master Fan

Updates

Posted June 3 2005
US WEEKLY:
SCARLETT AND JOSH IN ROME

The June 13 2005 issue of US Weekly (which hit newsstands this weekend) features the photo and caption on the left, with the headline, "TWO HOT: SCARLETT & JOSH!" According to the article, the photo (which shows Scarlett Johansson and Josh Hartnett in what could be nothing more than a friendly embrace) was taken in Rome on May 14th, which was two days after Scarlett was at the Cannes Film Festival for the premiere of Match Point. The article, part of Timothy McDarrah's "Hot Stuff" column, says in part:
The pair, costars in Brian De Palma's upcoming The Black Dahlia (a fictionalized account of a famous 1940s Los Angeles murder case), got romantic May 14 at the rooftop restaurant in Rome's luxurious Hotel Eden. After Hartnett arrived at Johansson's table, "they were kissing, holding hands and hugging for at least five minutes," an eyewitness tells Hot Stuff. Earlier, on location for Dahlia in Bulgaria, the couple spent "quality time in her trailer," according to a separate source, and had several dinner dates. Officially, a Universal rep for Dahlia tells Hot Stuff, "We don"t comment on talenPosted June 6 2005

DAHLIA MOVES TO L.A.
CARS SENT BACK TO FRANCE

Filming for The Black Dahlia in Bulgaria was officially announced as ended a couple of days ago. The production will now move to Los Angeles, where it will film on location for two weeks beginning June 11th. According to Romain at Brian De Palma, le virtuose du 7ème art, the period cars used for the Bulgarian shoot are on their way back to France. (You can see a picture of a truck carrying the cars from France to Bulgaria on May 1st at the above link to Romain's site.)
(Thanks, Romain!)ts' personal lives."

Posted June 9 2005
DAHLIA IN LOS ANGELES
IMDB USER TO PLAY COP AT 'DINNER' & 'CITY HALL'

Actor and stunt man David McDivitt is excited to be playing a cop during the upcoming Los Angeles shoot of Brian De Palma's The Black Dahlia (shooting in L.A. begins this Saturday). Writing on the message boards of the Internet Movie Database, McDivitt states that he will be filming his scenes on June 17th and 19th, and that we can look for him "at the Dinner and City Hall." He also has a role as a bridge officer in Wolfgang Petersen's upcoming remake of The Poseidon Adventure.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Master Fan

Thats sweet about Scarlett and Josh, both good looking and talented, heck why not!

Thats awesome they are almost done filming. THey started again yesterday, so it won't be too long

darylbeth
Old 06-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Master Fan

I shall return hopefully tomorrow with updated info..
Old 06-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Master Fan

ELLROY GIVES IT STRAIGHT
HOPES DAHLIA FILM LIVES UP TO 'FLUKE' OF L.A. CONFIDENTIAL

James Ellroy, author of The Black Dahlia, talked to the Montery Herald on the eve of this weekend's stint in which he is discussing two films as part of the Golden State Theatre's series on writers and film. Tonight, Ellroy will discuss L.A. Confidential, which Curtis Hanson adapted in 1997 from Ellroy's novel. Ellroy told the paper he would be disingenuous if he did not include the film on his list of favorites. "It's a one-of-a-kind movie," he told the Herald. "It's a crime story. It's a love story. It's a very grand and intelligent entertainment." According to the article's author, Jonathan Segal, Ellroy said it was a fluke that his book was adapted into a good movie. He said that his work defies adaptation because it is dense and complex and set in specific periods in history, making it expensive to produce. "Chances are, they'll **** it up," said Ellroy. The article then states:
Ellroy hopes to get lucky again with the big-screen adaptation of his novel The Black Dahlia, with Scarlett Johansson and Josh Hartnett, directed by Brian De Palma. He said he doesn't have much sympathy for writers who complain when Hollywood butchers their stories on film. "You've been paid." he said. "They can't hurt your book."

Although critics often draw comparisons between Ellroy's work and films such as Sin City and Pulp Fiction, Ellroy feels that the irony of those films is worlds away from what he does. "I've got no real use for parody or satire of what I do," Ellroy told the paper. "My stuff, unless I write in a comedic vein, is completely straight."

http://www.angelfire.com/de/palma/
Old 06-20-2005, 04:10 AM
Master Fan

DAHLIA FILMING REPORT
FROM IMDB USER

" Saw them filming some stuff today on Ivar and Yucca (near Hollywood and Vine) down here in Hollywood. Lots of period automobiles, etc. They were up the street in a sort of ghetto-fied area of Hollywood, perfect for classic Los Angeles. They've been shooting here for a few days and have setup their base camp in a nearby parking lot on Ivar (much to the dismay of some looking for parking). Didn't see any of the actors, but thought it'd be interesting nonetheless. "

And:

"I saw them shooting on last Sunday (11th) at this same location, it's in the front of the pantages theatre, lots of old cars, and they had the rain machines pouring rain the whole time, a bus go's by and some people come out of the theatre, watched them shooting this over and over again, till i moved further down the street and actually saw De Palma, and could see a telephone booth where someone was going into,making a call talking for a few seconds then hanging up, i finally saw who it was when he came out to see the playback, it was Josh Harnett, dressed in a brown trench coat, he took it off to reveal a gun harness."

http://www.angelfire.com/de/palma/
Old 06-22-2005, 10:03 AM
Master Fan

thanks for the new info, I am really excited about this movie!!
Old 06-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Master Fan

New pics from the set
Old 06-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Master Fan

Posted June 18 2005
DAHLIA FILMING REPORT
FROM IMDB USER

"BEARisonFord" posted a report today on the message boards at the Internet Movie Database, saying that he/she witnessed some shooting of The Black Dahlia today "on Ivar and Yucca (near Hollywood and Vine) down here in Hollywood." BEARisonFord went on to say:
Lots of period automobiles, etc. They were up the street in a sort of ghetto-fied area of Hollywood, perfect for classic Los Angeles. They've been shooting here for a few days and have setup their base camp in a nearby parking lot on Ivar (much to the dismay of some looking for parking). Didn't see any of the actors, but thought it'd be interesting nonetheless.