Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-04-2005, 09:49 PM
New Fan

It was always my understanding that the category an actor/actress was nominated in depended on billing...above the title was leading, and below was supporting. However, it seems the powers that be have decided that this ain't necessarily so, since Laura Linney was billed above the title. My guess would be that the studio decided that she had a great chance of winning in the supporting category, but faced some very stiff competition in the lead slot. Much of these awards is political, and there is a great deal of jockeying and campaigning and money spent by the studios and actors courting the academy. I heard, although I have no first hand knowledge, that Sharon Stone once sent every member of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (the body that awards the Golden Globes) a very expensive watch. The Academy Awards mean big money to the studios, although Robert Duval was once asked how his life had changed since he received his academy award, and his answer was that he got better treatment at airports now.

Last edited by Marni; 02-05-2005 at 10:21 AM
Old 02-05-2005, 02:49 PM
Elite Fan

Oh,thanks for the insight into that process,Marni. Sounds Machivellian(and expensive for the poor campaigning actor!)...but Robert Duvall deserves better treatment at airports. He's a treat to watch,too. (The Great Santini" is one of my favorites.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Loyal Fan

Just wanted to say I finally saw Kinsey today and really liked it. A very well done movie and of course Bill was wonderful. Liam Neeson and Laura Linney were wonderful.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:26 AM
Pav
Elite Fan

The release date for my country has not been announced yet.

Nice to meet you, Marni!

Last edited by Pav; 02-09-2005 at 12:27 AM
Old 02-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Carolyn
I know what you mean about wondering what your family will think. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to wait for some of my older relatives to die before I'll ever consider trying to publish anything!
My family has never seen me act. They haven't read anything I've written since I was a teenager.

Marni, you have a good point about the awards being political. The Golden Globes really have no credibility. The people running those awards are just journalists who want to rub shoulders with famous people. The ones who rub back get awards. I have no idea why people still give it weight.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Elite Fan

Sure you do,word of mouth publicity can send many more customers out to buy tickets for something they have heard has an award-winning performance.

Awards are nice to get I'm sure....as long as you realize that it's a subjective or, as Marni has pointed out,sometimes even a political thing and not necessarily an indication that one performance is "superior" to another.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

You have a good point. It's all about $$. A fake or political award is better than nothing.

Honestly, it's just hard to compare art. For example in the supporting actress category I've seen 4 out of the 5 performances. Four completely different actresses and performances. I don't know how I would pick a "winner".

Any DVD news? I hope maybe we'll have more of Bill's scenes in the movie, if any were shot.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Elite Fan

May 17,2005 for DVD release. There will be a Special 2-Disc set or a Single Disc sold.

Last edited by Berengaria; 02-15-2005 at 07:49 PM
Old 02-15-2005, 10:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-15-2005, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Fan

It was only showing at 1 theater here, during a film festival, and I didn't get to go. Have I mentioned that I must live in a cultural armpit?

For the DVD coming out!

Later,
There are no accidents! Everything happens for a reason.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:35 PM
Loyal Fan

Did I mention I saw it last weekend? I loved the movie and of course Bill was great as always. It is an "unforgettable" part.
Jero (and anyone who didn't get to see it) I think you'll like the film.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:20 AM
Elite Fan

I had to laugh. I went to a Catholic all-girls school in the 60's and the misinformation about b-o-y-s and i-t was amazing....and pathetic in hindsight. And in those days you didn't get any info from Mom or Dad. I remember approaching my Mom about something I had heard about ("French kissing") and asked what it was....she said "Ask your father". I went straight off to do so...posed my question again and got this response "Ask your mother".
Fortunately,a boy named Fred had some info to impart on the subject...
Old 03-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Elite Fan

From zap2it today:

'Kinsey' Director Tops Scorsese, Eastwood

Mon, Mar 21, 2005, 07:03 AM PT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - For "Kinsey" writer-director Bill Condon, sex sells.
The 49-year-old filmmaker took home the Directors Guild of Great Britain's award in the international film category on Sunday at the Curzon Mayfair Cinema in London, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Condon beat out top competitors Martin Scorsese ("The Aviator"), Clint Eastwood ("Million Dollar Baby") and Michel Gondry ("Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind") for the honor.

So my question for Bill is....How would you rate your experience working with Bill Condon? Best director you've ever worked with? Allowed improv or made you stick strictly with his vision? What did you, as a director, learn from him?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Congrats to Bill Condon. I thought the movie was really well directed and he deserved some honor. Unfortunately, he's been swept aside for other directors.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:27 AM
Pav
Elite Fan

I think the movie is in theaters these days (over here). I'll try to catch it.