Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Passionate Fan

Have you seen KINSEY yet? Post your comments here!

Okay, KINSEY is getting a more general release now, and I'm heading for the theatre this Friday! Anyone else have KINSEY viewing plans in their near future, or past viewing on which to comment?

Proud to be a card-carrying member of the ACLU.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:15 AM
Elite Fan

No,I haven't found anywhere near me showing it yet. And I am so disappointed...I have been looking forward to this for many,many long months! Please come back with your report when you have seen it ,Mama C.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:42 PM
Passionate Fan

You know, if they don't start showing it soon where you are, it's gonna be time for you to make a trip to the blue states. Come to Chicago, we're right over the border! :-D

Old 12-03-2004, 03:42 PM
Elite Fan

I enjoyed your very accurate map...Dumb....istan!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Passionate Fan

Okay, I've gotten to see Kinsey. My review is as follows.

First of all, my sympathies to those of you who aren't old enough to go see it. That's unfortunate, because Kinsey isn't violent, and I've always thought that violence was a lot harder on tender young psyches than sex. (The British film rating system seems to agree with me, or at least it used to, interestingly enough.) Kinsey would probably be of great help to adolescents who pretty much ALL go through that period of asking themselves, "Is this normal? Am I normal?" Because Alfred Kinsey established with his controversial studies that there's a big, wide range to normal, and most of us fall into it somewhere.

Now, to Bill's part in the film -- it's about 6 minutes long, but it's pivotal, because Bill's character is distinctly NOT normal. This is the point where everyone is sort of pulled up short, and the dark side of the so-called sexual revolution comes into play -- we're reminded that sex doesn't happen in a vaccuum, and that something so vital to people's lives is going to have an impact that's more far-reaching than mere biology might indicate.

The film is extremely well-acted, with especially stellar work coming from Liam Neeson, Laura Linney, Lynn Redgrave, and (you knew this was coming) William Sadler. The reviews have tended to mention Lynn Redgrave's character more often than they have Bill's, but I contend it's not because the acting is any better, but because the character is more likable. Bill's character is, in some ways, also extremely likable -- charming, affable, attractive -- which is what makes the character's total lack of sexual morality more appalling. You can see where he could actually have the kind of sexual history he claims, not through force, but through charm and seduction and manipulation. It's like turning over a really pretty stone and finding worms and maggots underneath -- but the stone continues to be really pretty. It's a fabulous bit of character acting, and if the studio decides to go for the easier path and push Lynn Redgrave's completely likable and far more predictable character for an award instead of Bill's extremely complex performance, I for one will be extremely disappointed.

Okay, so far I seem to be the only one here who's seen the film. Anybody else? Anybody?

Last edited by Ms Carolyn; 12-16-2004 at 03:32 PM
Old 12-17-2004, 09:41 PM
Elite Fan

Haven't seen it yet but I was so bummed at it not playing around here that I e-mailed the movie reviewer at our local paper to ask if he knew where I could find it and he replied that it will be opening Christmas Day here in Jax!! Yay,it may be a bit unusual for "Christmas Day" fare but it sure is what was on my "wish list"!!!

See....it pays to be good all year long!
Old 12-26-2004, 01:40 AM
Elite Fan

Yay for me! I FINALLY got to see this movie.The film was riveting,especially for a (now grown-up) little Catholic school girl who remembers the disinformation being handed out by adults as "sex education". I loved Bill's role (not,of course the character he played). Bill brought an attractive, friendly quality to the part that made you believe that his unbelievable testimony might well be true. Can't say more without giving things away,but this is a fine piece of work for Bill to have added to his resume. I hope all the good publicity will work in his favor to land even more interesting roles in the near future.
Japan has a policy where some people of exceptional talent (they come from many different fields) are designated as "National Treasures" and subsidized by the government. I think Bill is a "National Treasure"...but he'd better not hold his breath waiting for those currently running this government to recognize it!
Old 01-25-2005, 08:21 AM
Elite Fan

The Academy Awards came out today and Laura Linney was nominated as best supporting actress for her role in "Kinsey". I'm thrilled for her and will be rooting for her on Oscar night.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
It's a fabulous bit of character acting, and if the studio decides to go for the easier path and push Lynn Redgrave's completely likable and far more predictable character for an award instead of Bill's extremely complex performance, I for one will be extremely disappointed.
I didn't think either one would be nominated b/c there's just too much competition in the supporting categories this year. And as wonderful as they both were, they just didn't have enough screentime.

I saw the movie, and thought it was great. Beautifully acted, and makes a good point. The truth really does set us free.

It goes without saying that Bill was amazing. I was just trumpeting about his performance on a couple of boards.

And I too, am thrilled that Laura has been nominated. She does amazing work and I'm glad she was recognized for it again.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:00 AM
Elite Fan

I'm really happy for her too. But,in my opinion,she had so much screen time I would call that the "Best Actress" in a lead role category....but what do I know?

Yes,Bill's role was short...but,oh so sweet( in a perverted,sort of stunned spitless kind of way) .
Old 01-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Passionate Fan

I think I'd go with short but memorable, Berry!

Old 01-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Elite Fan

You are so right. Bill's comment when he was telling me about deciding to accept the part was(rolling his eyes) "My Mother will be SO proud!" . I thought it was nice that he still cares what his family thinks.

And I'm sure he has nothing to worry about,his family must be well aware that great actors don't always seek out "the good guy" role....stretching your acting wings and going for the challenging parts is what it's all about.They have every reason to be proud of Bill Sadler and the work he does.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've been writing a play, and the first thing I've been thinking is "What will my family think?" It's just natural for artists I think.

I haven't seen all the lead actresses's movies, but you're right, Laura did have a lot of screentime to be "supporting".

It's one of those weird quirks of the Academy. If you remember the movie "The Hours"; Julianne Moore had more screentime than Nicole Kidman. But NK won best actress and JM was nominated in "Supporting". Go figure.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:26 AM
Passionate Fan

I know what you mean about wondering what your family will think. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to wait for some of my older relatives to die before I'll ever consider trying to publish anything!

Old 02-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Elite Fan

I have one daughter that is very,very quiet. We all live in fear that she is writing her memoirs and it will end up as a tv sit-com. I don't think we're going to come out of that looking very good!