Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-31-2003, 04:13 PM
Extreme Fan

Bill S Convention Pics

Hi gang....I got permission from Kazza to bring these over here....

Please don't post without her permission!!

The Crashdown Convention in Heathrow, May 2003

Enjoy!

q

[ 05-31-2003: Message edited quinn ]
Old 05-31-2003, 04:17 PM
Extreme Fan

Don't mind me.....
Old 05-31-2003, 08:56 PM
Master Fan

Those pictures are great. It looks so normal to see Jim and Kyle, I mean Bill and Nick together. They work so well together.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:49 PM
Extreme Fan

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] Kay

Another by Kazza

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

q
Old 06-01-2003, 09:17 AM
Elite Fan

Oh,just super,super pictures. Thanks so much for sharing them here! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2003, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Fan

Thanks for sharing pics!

Postman
Old 06-01-2003, 09:34 PM
Master Fan

Quinn thanks for showing us the pictures.

Any stories you are going to share [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2003, 09:39 PM
Extreme Fan

Fraz I'm just the messenger but I'll see if I can borrow Spooks comments.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

You are welcome for the pics..... Kazza gets all the credit. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] It seems like it was loads of fun.

q
Old 06-01-2003, 09:50 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
originally by LTL

Hey, Spook! I don't know if I'll do the story justice that Bill Sadler told about 4AAAB, so please fill in/correct where necessary. They were filming the scene where Max has to give Baby Zan to his parents to take away for adoption. The babies (triplets!) were unusually fussy, and they had to film the scene over several times. Jason was feeling pretty awkward with the baby, but was warming up, and in one take, as Max handed the baby over to his mother, the baby clutched at his shirt as if he didn't want to be sent away. WS said it was just the perfect touch, but because the scene was filmed in one long take, they weren't able to use it because something else didn't work. I'd love to see the outtake.

I haven't gone back far enough to see if anyone has posted this yet. David Nutter saw all the Brendan-on-sticks that the Fehrians had at our table on Saturday night. He was in full director mode, and told everyone to hide the Brendans while he went to get Bill Sadler, then they were to whip the sticks out. Bill sat down and everyone put Brendan up in front of their faces. He kind of laughed and then said, "Now that's really sad."
Quote:
originally by Spook
Bills’s talk was funny. Again, I can’t remember most of it, but he was a mine of funny tales and stories of his entire career. His funniest story was the day he, how shall I say, filled his pants just before going on stage one day during a play . He was ill, and had sneezed just before his cue… and things came out of both ends The scene he was in called for him to sit down a lot, and he explained how he spent the entire show just leaning on chairs rather than sitting on them he sang two songs he’d written – both also funny – and explained how he’d got the role as Death in Bill and Ted by putting on a false accent and playing it for laughs. And how he’d been told he was too young for the role, so had re-auditioned after being made up to look like an older man (with help from a make-up expert). The result being that he got the job, and the director had commented how much older he looked in real life (His previous audition had been on tape). There were other stories, but I forget the details… He did say how most of his roles had lead directly from one casting agent taking a chance on him and asking him to audition for a role even though he wasn’t what they’d been looking for. That audition had snowballed and got him remembered in various other points of his career, and had it not taken place, he wouldn’t have done half what he has done.
How's that? I'll see if I can persuade those that went to pop in and tell their stories. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

q
Old 06-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
originally by Spook

Bill, I discovered, is also short in stature! Because I was taller than him He was chewing gum, as was I. A fact he seemed pleased with. I think he’d been getting grief from the photographer We posed for a photo, but it was the end of the roll of film, so we had to have a second shot. During which time Bill joked about the gum chewing. The second film was loaded, the photographer shouted a “stop chewing” command, and Bill and I asked in unison who he was talking to Which made for a good picture, because we were laughing when it was taken Bill then took out his gum and asked me to take it, and I nearly did I wasn’t thinking straight It was a surreal experience

Autograph sessions fell at the end of the afternoon. And Plu, Brit and I queued together (I think others were with us too, but I forget ). First we queued for Bill, and then Nick. Brit had a magazine article of a Bill interview that she wanted signing, because it had pictures of Bill in many roles. And in flicking through the article, I showed myself up again because I spotted a Farscape advert Which, of course, changed the entire conversation into a Farscape one Poor Plu! She’s never watched the show, and I’d bent her ear about it all the way to London the day before, and now she was amongst two Farscape fans chatting about it

We reached the front of Bills table, and I forget what we said to him But I think he was amused at the pic Plu put in front of him… the naked butt pic from Die Hard He signed it, and then told us that the scene hadn’t been in the original script, but it had appeared later, after he was signed and sealed. He’d only found out it was a naked scene when he’d gone for the costume fitting for it and found out there was no costume
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

q
Old 06-01-2003, 10:05 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
originally by Spook

DN was so impressed with the Brendan sticks that he was dying to see what Bill would make of them, so he directed us He told us to hide the sticks and he’d fetch Bill. The we were to pull out the sticks and put them in front of our faces… So we, of course, obliged… Bill was duly fetched, and DN hovered behind him while Bill introduced himself etc. Then, unable to contain himself, DN informed Bill that we weren’t just ordinary fans but we had something with us… At which point we revealed Brendan My face was hidden behind my stick, but I heard Bill laugh loudly and then say “That’s so sad” He then grabbed my stick (cue me wishing I hadn’t written on the back that people touch the stick at their peril! ) and held it to his own face, introduced himself as Brendan and began to talk to us as if he was Brendan The he put the stcik down and told us how he thought Brendan was and asked what he was up to lately. He was highly amused when we described his role in Sugar He stated that it was obviously a role Brendan was born to play He also seemed surprised to hear about the role – surprised that Brendan would play it – but it was followed by a look that suggested he was impressed that Brendan had taken on the role

Again, I couldn’t hear a lot that Bill aid, or have just forgotten it, but I do remember his describing that he enjoyed directing Four Aliens and a Baby, despite it involving a dog and a baby! He did say more about this, but I can’t remember what he said I really wish I could! He talked about so much! And I can’t remember it
Quote:
originally by Plutonic

First day, we only queued for autographs by Bill and Nick. Bill was first. He laughed at my choice of pic for him to sign (the naked one), but as Spook has reported , he was more than happy to reminisce about it. He commented wryly that it was done with a 'closed set', but it was amazing how everybody suddenly 'needed' to be on that set--all of a sudden lighting guys, sound people, carpenters, set dressers etc etc all had a pressing need to be present!

He wrote 'Thanks for the great weekend' on the naked pic, and I joked that I'd better not show that to my hubby. Bill said "Yeah, he won't let you come to one of these things again!"
I handed Bill a bag of homemade tiffin (chocolate stuff), and he gave me a kiss.

What else can I find to add??........
I adored Bill's songs, they were hysterical! The first was a tale of unrequited love (I think?), but with plenty of plays-on-words and double entendres, the second was, he assured us, translated from the 'original Gaelic'. His Irish accent was wonderful! (as was his English one when telling us the pants accident story). If he ever makes an album of comedy songs, I shall definitely buy it!
Phew!! If you want more check out The BOF thread on Brendans board...or maybe Nick's board.

q
Old 06-02-2003, 08:16 AM
Elite Fan

Oh,thanks again,Quinn. You were awesome to collect all that and share it with us here. Now I really feel like I was "in" on the day. I had no idea Bill was good at accents...I'd love to see him in something that called for that! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Got permission to repost Shelly's photo's here. Thanks,Shelly!

Originally posted by Lolly:
[QB]Hello guys [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Here are Shelley's pics for your viewing pleasure [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 06-02-2003: Message edited Berengaria ]
Old 06-03-2003, 12:14 AM
Loyal Fan

Nice pics
Old 06-06-2003, 05:31 PM
Loyal Fan

I'm so pleased Quinn brought over some of our comments from Brendan's board, because I was thinking that we really ought to!
Bill was a delightful guy, very warm and friendly, and incredibly funny! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] During the Q&A sessions, some of the other guests dried up or got embarrassed if the questions ran out, but Bill wasn't fazed at all--he has such a stock of funny stories from his long career, and a wonderful way of telling them. In fact, he didn't really need questions at all--he could just sit there and fill the whole hour, no problem. He'd make a great stand-up comedian! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

One of the funniest bits I remember is when someone asked him about his interaction with Diane Farr. He said he was delighted that the Valenti-Deluca romance blossomed, particularly since all his previous 'romantic' roles had gone along the lines of: "Boy meets girl--boy dismembers girl"! [img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img]

Here's a pic of Bill trying out the aforementioned 'Brendan-on-a-stick'. It is him behind there, honest! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

For more detailed accounts of the Convention, including some more snippets about Bill, you might want to visit the BOFthread#50 on Brendan's board. Look out for posts by Spook, Plutonic, MissT and Fenix.
Here's the link (try the following pages too) :BOF Thread

[ 06-06-2003: Message edited Plutonic ]

"Imagining what it is like to be someone else is the essence of compassion and the beginning of morality"--Ian McEwan, novelist
Old 06-06-2003, 09:57 PM
Elite Fan

Bill not only could do stand-up comedy...he has! This is fdrom his biography at "Wild on the Web":

In the fall of 1967 Orchard Park High was about to put on its annual variety show. Bill decided to try out. But doing what? "I was sure by that time I wanted to be a performer. The band was great fun but I wasn't sure it was 'it'. I'd always been able to make people laugh so I picked up my banjo, rehearsed a bunch of jokes and went to the audition as 'Banjo Bill Sadler'. Not only did I get in the show, they asked me to MC it." The show was a big success and for next two years Bill split his time between performing with the Knight Ryders and doing solo stand up gigs around Buffalo. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]