Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-22-2003, 05:49 PM
Master Fan

John Lennon and Controversy

So, I recently read that in John's Solo Career he had only one number one album and I think one number one single. I was appalled by this news, because his work was so amazing. Do you think his controversial lyrics had a lot to do with not getting more number one hits? I think more people wanted Bubble Gum songs or Silly Love Songs and didn't want to be told that the world can suck. We want to live in a dream that everything is okay and that love is all you need. I'm not saying thay Silly Love Songs are bad songs. I love these type of songs, but I think songs like Imagine and God and Working Class Hero are needed to let us come to terms with reality.

Make Love, Not War
Stefanie
Old 12-22-2003, 11:54 PM
Administrator

I think that a big part of the reason for John Lennon's comparative lack of popularity in his solo career was his tendency to be influenced by Yoko Ono and her off-the-wall whacko ideas. Many of his albums would have a few good songs, but then we'd have to listen to her absolutely awful caterwauling and screeching on the album, so that made me not want to buy any John Lennon albums except the ones that featured only him singing.

I think that Yoko Ono had way too much of an influence on John Lennon’s music and his life, and I think he would have been much more popular on his own if it wasn’t for her.

Getting back to your question, though, Stefanie, I do feel that John Lennon’s controversial lyrics had a lot to do with his not having more number one hits, but I also feel that he lost the sense of the “commercial” once him and Paul McCartney parted ways. I felt that John and Paul balanced each other out well, but once they went their separate ways, Paul tended to veer towards schmaltzy love songs, and John tended to veer towards controversial songs, and I don’t think either one of them achieved as much individually as they did together.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 12-23-2003, 05:40 AM
Master Fan

Hmm *thinks* I think I agree, Stef. Especially seeing as he was living in the US and they had (or have) stricter censorship laws. His music was absolutely amazing and so very truthful.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:46 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by steffieweffie:
<STRONG>So, I recently read that in John's Solo Career he had only one number one album and I think one number one single. I was appalled by this news, because his work was so amazing.</STRONG>

where did you read this? this is wrong. "Imagine", "Walls & Bridges" and "Double Fantasy" all went to # 1 on the charts. as for # 1 singles, he had two: "Whatever Gets You Through The Night" and "Just Like Starting Over".
Old 12-25-2003, 12:27 AM
Master Fan

Roger, I read it in a news article. I guess they got their facts wrong [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] But still, he should have had more.

Make Love, Not War
Stefanie
Old 12-25-2003, 04:34 AM
Master Fan

I guess you just have to take everything you read with a grain of salt, hey?
That said I agree with Stef. He shoulda had more
Old 02-27-2004, 03:08 AM
Master Fan

When you think about it, though, what is a rock star without controversy?
Old 02-29-2004, 12:25 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by a n d i:
<STRONG>When you think about it, though, what is a rock star without controversy?</STRONG>
Doing Disney movies for petty cash.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:18 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Kleenexwoman86:
<STRONG>

Doing Disney movies for petty cash.</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]