Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-24-2004, 12:28 AM
New Fan

Covers – of Beatles Songs

What is the Best or Worst cover of a Beatles song by other artists you have heard.

Johnny Young’s version of “all my loving” has always irrated me – the Australians on the board may have heard this.

Possession is nine-tenths of the problem.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:51 AM
Obsessed Fan

I don't know about the best and worst, but I like the Vonda Shepard version of "A World Without Love" for the "Ally McBeal" soundtrack. She put a nice, new beat in it that actually didnt' destroy the song.

Til further notice
I'm in between
From where I'm standing
My grass is green
Old 08-28-2004, 08:55 AM
New Fan

I will have to take a listen, not seen the show??

while on the subject of music, what other groups/solo artist's do you enjoy.

Old 08-28-2004, 06:11 PM
Dedicated Fan

I've actually made my own mix CD with Beatles covers. My personal favorite is Marilyn Manson doing "Come Together." He makes it sound incredibly creepy, like the character in the song is a zombie or something.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:39 AM
New Fan

Kleenexwoman86, what other covers are on the mix.

Old 08-29-2004, 07:38 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by robert_1957
I will have to take a listen, not seen the show??

while on the subject of music, what other groups/solo artist's do you enjoy.
You should. The song fits the lead character perfectly if I didn't know it was a Beatles song I'd have thought it was made for the show.

Other artists? I don't really have a specific genre I stick to. I think my very first fave artist (again, my father's fault) was Nat "King" Cole. My dad had all these 50's mix tapes and I'd just gobble them all up. I don't remember all of them today, but when I happen to hear any of them sometimes, it comes back the way prayers and incantations come back to kids raised Catholic; you really don't understand what you're saying, but it feels very familiar to the tongue.

So, mostly it's 50's, 60's, 70's (Elvis, Bobby Darin, Jim Croce, Peter, Paul and Mary, that kind of stuff) and some new stuff, too (Oasis, Green Day, Better than Ezra). And I actually don't find Michael Bublé offensive at all. I think it's sweet he's redoing the great standards. Like I lived then, huh?

Kleenexwoman86, have you heard Marilyn Manson's cover of "The KKK Took My Baby Away?" It's kinda like that, too.

Til further notice
I'm in between
From where I'm standing
My grass is green
Old 08-29-2004, 04:24 PM
Dedicated Fan

Really? Marilyn Manson doing Ramones? Kick-arse.

As for what other songs are on the mix, there are actually a few songs that I don't remember who they're by. I've got Oasis doing "I Am The Walrus" and White Zombie doing either "Helter Skelter" or "Back In The USSR" (I don't remember which one it was) and I've also got Alanis Morrissette doing "Norwegian Wood". And Gwen Stefani doing "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da." I wish I could remember who did every song.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:40 AM
Obsessed Fan

Oh yeah! I also have Oasis doing "I Am The Walrus" and "Helter Skelter." But really, I love the band, but they just ruin the songs, god.

Have you guys seen the remake of "An Affair to Remember," by the way? It has Annette Benning teaching these kids to sing "I Will." Oh, I also have an Allison Kraus version of that.

Til further notice
I'm in between
From where I'm standing
My grass is green
Old 08-30-2004, 05:07 AM
New Fan

Princess Bing, thanks for the insight into your music, I listen to a very wide range of artists including most of the ones you listed. I have only heard one of Michael Bublé songs, when we attended a dance performance for a friend (one of her students performed to it). Elvis, Jim Croce, Crosby Still Nash and Young, Arlo Guthrie and the Beatles where the core music I listened to while at home when younger. Even now these are still faves , at the moment I am listening to the Ronan Keating and Allison Kraus Albums purchased on the weekend.

Kleenexwoman86, I will have to look out for a few of those, they have intrigued me.

Old 09-01-2004, 07:22 AM
Master Fan

Hey, we already have a thread about Beatles' covers here - http://www.fanforum.com/forums/showt...&threadid=7405

Check this site out, though. It's really quite cool.
http://www.coversproject.com/artist/Beatles