Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Even if Joss hadn't said that I still wouldn't consider them Canon.

Canon is the writing and on screen together.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Old 05-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

BA was completely ruined in the comics though and everything is leading to Spuffy at the moment, just saying

I love the comics (well, the last few issues at least) but I haven't read the Angel comics so no idea what happened between Spike and Fred in those. But from the most recent Spike comics and from Buffy season8, it's clear that everything for Spike is still all about Buffy.

I'm cool with people not considering them canon though, I just love having new stuff to look forward to.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_JennaJameson (View Post)
You can't write off comic canon because it doesn't agree with your ship
I don't consider them canon, because Joss gave me that right

Can you imagine me considering it canon, I'd be bitching over it's terrible writing more than I do about LOST So they better not be canon

I know the comics are going well for Spuffy now, but still I can't consider them canon. They are not even half as good as the show was and even though there where a few nice moments there, generally they will never compare to tv series, their depth and their plot.

icon: swanspirate@tumblr
Old 05-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah I hate Bangel So I'm glad they are ruined for the most part in them.

By the end of the show Buffy chose Spike over Angel in every way.

So Bangel weren't gonna happen again.

She just gave him the brush off like he said.

She wanted to be with Spike.

So I can't believe that when they finally saw each other again that they didn't start over and work things out.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Old 05-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Extreme Fan

Spred never appealed to me at all. I don't dislike Fred but must everyone be in love with her?

But shipping aside I ignore the comics due to several reasons, I just don't like where they've taken the characters. I love Spuffy but they are not the only reason I watched BTVS and it just feels that in general the characters are warped. Even with Spuffy I still wouldn't like the comics.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
They are not even half as good as the show was and even though there where a few nice moments there, generally they will never compare to tv series, their depth and their plot.
Yeah but that's the whole point, they're comics so they're not supposed to be the same as the show I think they're doing the best they can with what works in this medium, of course it could never be as detailed or layered as the show.

I actually like how they're handling Buffy and Spike in the comics now, and that they didn't just fall into a relationship. Right now, Buffy is pissed off at Spike for not coming to her after he got back - and pretending not to care, which is such a Buffy thing to do. Meanwhile Spike thinks she's over him (which she SO isn't cause she keeps having sexy thoughts about him ), and is still trying to be there for her in any way he can and he is still the one person who always has her back, even when others let her down. It's only a matter of time now, I think season 9 is going to be really good for them.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Joss loved Fred and wanted everybody to worship her.

Well Spuffy were always my main reason to watch.

I can see that happening with Spuffy at first.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinky-Cousin (View Post)
Spred never appealed to me at all. I don't dislike Fred but must everyone be in love with her?

But shipping aside I ignore the comics due to several reasons, I just don't like where they've taken the characters. I love Spuffy but they are not the only reason I watched BTVS and it just feels that in general the characters are warped. Even with Spuffy I still wouldn't like the comics.
Exactly. It has nothing it do with shipping for me. Even if Spuffy got married in the comics I wouldn't even begin to consider them canon. I strongly dislike the way all the characters are written there, I don't think the story-line is good and even though there where a few intriguing things in them, it still doesn't make it generally interesting to me. It's like reading about completely different characters that have nothing to do with those I watched the show about.

As for Fred I only ever shipped her with Gunn. Gunn deserved to be happy because he loved her and I hate how they had to be ruined.

Quote:
I actually like how they're handling Buffy and Spike in the comics now, and that they didn't just fall into a relationship.
Yes, I also like that they didn't and I find it natural, but everything else... it just doesn't look like Buffy or Spike. Spuffy reunion was really OOC and it was like nothing of what happened in the end of S7 ever happened. It is not Buffy who held his hand telling him she loved him. It is not Spike from Touched. Even though I might like some of Spuffy moments in the comics, they are still not MY Spuffy

Old 05-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Well I hate Fred. I never got what all the guys saw in her.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Extreme Fan

I don't mind Fred in general, but god it seems like everyone wants her and I find it irritating.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yes, I also like that they didn't and I find it natural, but everything else... it just doesn't look like Buffy or Spike or Angel. Spuffy reunion was really OOC and it was like nothing of what happened in the end of S7 ever happened. It is not Buffy who held his hand telling him she loved him. It is not Spike from Touched. Even though I might like some of Spuffy moments in the comicst, they are still not MY Spuffy
I felt the same at first but after reading lots of meta about it and re-reading the past few issues several times, I actually think it's very in character. Remember that a LOT of time has passed since Touched/Chosen and where they are at now. Spike spent that entire time at Angel thinking Buffy didn't want him anymore. Buffy spent that entire time thinking that Spike deliberately stayed away from her because she found out he was alive and didn't come to her and didn't want her to know. It's only natural that they'd behave the way they're doing now, their reunion disappointed me at first but I really do get it now. And I love that we get to see them grow closer again now, instead of having them just be happy right away. That wouldn't have been interesting at all and they clearly have issues to work out so it wouldn't have been in character either.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I can't see them being happy right away.

They would need to take things slow and communicate better.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Extreme Fan

Indeed, a fluffy reunion would seem forced.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Fan Forum Legend

It really would.

That's just not Spuffy.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by speak slow (View Post)
I felt the same at first but after reading lots of meta about it and re-reading the past few issues several times, I actually think it's very in character. Remember that a LOT of time has passed since Touched/Chosen and where they are at now. Spike spent that entire time at Angel thinking Buffy didn't want him anymore. Buffy spent that entire time thinking that Spike deliberately stayed away from her because she found out he was alive and didn't come to her and didn't want her to know. It's only natural that they'd behave the way they're doing now, their reunion disappointed me at first but I really do get it now. And I love that we get to see them grow closer again now, instead of having them just be happy right away. That wouldn't have been interesting at all and they clearly have issues to work out so it wouldn't have been in character either.
I agree that it would be weird for Buffy to jump into his arms right away, but that is not what I mean when I say it was OOC... I don't know if I can explain... it's like Buffy acted like an immature little girl, not like an experienced and smart young woman we saw in the end of season 7. "Sorry I wasn't in touch, but you see I'm leading an army now. So what is your secret agenda?" or something like that, it just didn't sound like Buffy at all. Also her sexual dream about Spike right after she had all that flying sex with Angel, it was simply wrong and made both couples look stupid, imo. I tried to like the comics, but I just don't FEEL them you know, I don't feel like it's those characters I've known and loved for years But I'm glad if you're enjoying it, we all have reasons to like or dislike something I wish I was albe to enjoy them as well, but they just don't appeal to me.

I like Fred in general, but as I said before, I think ATS writing wasn't very good in later seasons and all the characters just seemed uninteresting there. I didn't like Cordy starting from S3 of ATS too